Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So Bret, I'm Assuming Hog Fans Are Now "Outsiders"?

Started by Vantage 8 dude, November 05, 2017, 11:47:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Well Bret I'm delighted to see that Hog fans (not even counting media here) are apparently considered "outsiders" when it comes to the team and its performance. While I realize that those of whose who aren't actually playing or coaching are to a certain degree "outside" the program, if I'm reading your remarks correctly the fact that many of us very faithful and long time supporters of the program are understandably unhappy and even embarrassed at this team's performance both yesterday and the past several seasons now has us as apparent "enemies" of the program. Sorry, but that "dog ain't gonna hunt". The reason is simple: when it comes right down to it our butts in the seats, our contributions to the Razorback Foundation, our contributions to other athletic programs, as well as our purchase of Hog gear all ultimately pay for your very ample salary and other benefits. While I'm sure Jeff Long would likely disagree and say that it's the SEC tv deal and other financial arrangements that really pays the bills, that would be totally dismissing the very critical need for ANY successful program to still have wide spread fan support. And it should come as no shock or particular revelation that in this particular state where the MAIN athletic program IS the U of A, Fayetteville, this continued good will and support is even more critical.

So before you place blame on the negative nancy's-the negative "outside forces"- you really need to look closely in the mirror. You are not only during a massive disservice to your team and coaches, but to the heretofore loyal and supportive fans as well. For a man who so often places such high value on being #Uncommon that shouldn't be so hard. That is if that moniker actually means anything and isn't just more "smoke" you're blowing.

(notOM)Rebel123

I think you are reaching on this one...
Bret said, "The outside world looking in, I think hopefully is happy that we won the game."

I think he needs to be fired. But c'mon.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 05, 2017, 11:54:09 am
Bret said, "The outside world looking in, I think hopefully is happy that we won the game."
Perhaps I am indeed. And if that's the case I would be most happy to be proven totally wrong. However, Bret obviously knows, despite whatever denials he might be tempted to offer, that there is tremendous unrest and negativity within the fan base. While he may not give a damn about the country at large, he had very well pay attention to the huge amount of unhappiness in his own backyard. Cause like with any regime it's the natives that are growing ever more restless to whom you really have to pay very close attention.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 05, 2017, 11:58:43 am
Perhaps I am indeed. And if that's the case I would be most happy to be proven totally wrong. However, Bret obviously knows, despite whatever denials he might be tempted to offer, that there is tremendous unrest and negativity within the fan base. While he may not give a damn about the country at large, he had very well pay attention to the huge amount of unhappiness in his own backyard. Cause like with any regime it's the natives that are growing ever more restless to whom you really have to pay very close attention.

I just don't think he called us "outsiders" in the context you are claiming.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 05, 2017, 11:47:18 am
Well Bret I'm delighted to see that Hog fans (not even counting media here) are apparently considered "outsiders" when it comes to the team and its performance. While I realize that those of whose who aren't actually playing or coaching are to a certain degree "outside" the program, if I'm reading your remarks correctly the fact that many of us very faithful and long time supporters of the program are understandably unhappy and even embarrassed at this team's performance both yesterday and the past several seasons now has us as apparent "enemies" of the program. Sorry, but that "dog ain't gonna hunt". The reason is simple: when it comes right down to it our butts in the seats, our contributions to the Razorback Foundation, our contributions to other athletic programs, as well as our purchase of Hog gear all ultimately pay for your very ample salary and other benefits. While I'm sure Jeff Long would likely disagree and say that it's the SEC tv deal and other financial arrangements that really pays the bills, that would be totally dismissing the very critical need for ANY successful program to still have wide spread fan support. And it should come as no shock or particular revelation that in this particular state where the MAIN athletic program IS the U of A, Fayetteville, this continued good will and support is even more critical.

So before you place blame on the negative nancy's-the negative "outside forces"- you really need to look closely in the mirror. You are not only during a massive disservice to your team and coaches, but to the heretofore loyal and supportive fans as well. For a man who so often places such high value on being #Uncommon that shouldn't be so hard. That is if that moniker actually means anything and isn't just more "smoke" you're blowing.

Stop getting your panties in a wad. I suspect that was in reply to the media asking some rather "uncomfortable" questions in the presser. I doubt he meant to alienate all Hog fans, but I understand that some of you guys want to jump on any little thing that you can find at this point. It isn't needed. Bielema does a good job on his own. He doesn't need your help.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 05, 2017, 12:04:09 pm
Stop getting your panties in a wad. I suspect that was in reply to the media asking some rather "uncomfortable" questions in the presser. I doubt he meant to alienate all Hog fans, but I understand that some of you guys want to jump on any little thing that you can find at this point. It isn't needed. Bielema does a good job on his own. He doesn't need your help.
While I respect your position as a mod, I also have to say that I find your "stop getting your panties in a wad" beneath you. Sorry, but I've brought up something that I find very interesting and perhaps relevant. As I said to (not OM)Rebel 123 if I misconstrued Bret's intent with his "outsiders" comment then I would be very happy to be wrong. Then again, just like me you're merely ASSUMING his intent. I've presented one side of a possible argument. So in the end until/unless he comes out to clarify what he really meant my interpretation could be just as relevant as anyone else's.

3kgthog

Either way, I'd take being called an outsider over being called a terrorist again.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 05, 2017, 12:15:31 pm
While I respect your position as a mod, I also have to say that I find your "stop getting your panties in a wad" beneath you. Sorry, but I've brought up something that I find very interesting and perhaps relevant. As I said to (not OM)Rebel 123 if I misconstrued Bret's intent with his "outsiders" comment then I would be very happy to be wrong. Then again, just like me you're merely ASSUMING his intent. I've presented one side of a possible argument. So in the end until/unless he comes out to clarify what he really meant my interpretation could be just as relevant as anyone else's.

My assumption is based on when it happened and on the heels of the question that was posed. The Media was getting on his ass. I understand why he responded the way he did.

We ARE outsiders when it comes to what occurs within the program. Just because we are dedicated fans or season ticket holders for 40 years, doesn't make us "INSIDERS" or inclusive in any way when it comes to what transpires inside the program as it relates to day to day activities of the team or their thought processes.

There are lots of things to complain about. This is nitpicking. But that is JMO.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 05, 2017, 12:22:58 pm
Either way, I'd take being called an outsider over being called a terrorist again.
terrorist ??? ::) WTH?

BrockndaRock

Go back and re-watch the question. He clearly states those in the locker room are the insiders. Bo doesn't help by calling us "outsiders" in the question though...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 05, 2017, 12:24:37 pm
My assumption is based on when it happened and on the heels of the question that was posed. The Media was getting on his ass. I understand why he responded the way he did.

We ARE outsiders when it comes to what occurs within the program. Just because we are dedicated fans or season ticket holders for 40 years, doesn't make us "INSIDERS" or inclusive in any way when it comes to what transpires inside the program as it relates to day to day activities of the team or their thought processes.

There are lots of things to complain about. This is nitpicking. But that is JMO.
True, just because we may be fans or long term supporters doesn't make us "insiders" by any means. I think that would be self-evident. However, acknowledging that very fact means that all the rest of us are in some way, shape or form "outsiders". Exactly my point when CBB begins referring to "outsiders" being negative. Obviously covers a LOT of folks. Could that also mean fans ??? Tried to make my point, enough said.

kid squealer

Definitely noticed the repeated statements in the presser and wondered what you are implicating him with.  I sure hope he wouldn't be that stupid to alienate the fan base even further. 
SMITE ME JACKWAGONS!!!  I NEED TO BE THE -1 KING!!!

BRUTUS POUNDCAKE

He has circled is wagon and is in his death spiral of us against everyone who may second guess the program

ricepig

It's hopeless, it's time for him to go, but anything he says or does is going to have a negative connotation, the sharks smell blood.

Sundog

I think vantage 8dude is spot on.  The Arkansas Razorback football program ain't Bert's program...heck, this isn't even (just) the PLAYERS program.  Indeed, it belongs to every future, current, past player, fan,  alumni etc...  THIS PROGRAM, GIVEN ITS HISTORY AND ALL THE GENERATIONS OF FANS BEFORE IT SHOULD TRANSCEND BERT'S BLIP OF A TIME IN A RAZORBACK SHIRT.

Yes, Bert is trying to create an "us" vs. them straw man.  Who is the "them"?  Anybody that tries to hold Bert accountable.

Bert, GO BACK TO THE PIG FARM IN ILLINOIS.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 06:12:42 pm
It's hopeless, it's time for him to go, but anything he says or does is going to have a negative connotation, the sharks smell blood.

This really does summarize HV at this point. Everything he says, does, thinks, eats is analyzed into something that needs to be complained about.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

98hogs

DeltaBoy

Yes we are now Outsider Darksiders who want him gone!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

When you just don't care for someone because you believe they screwed you over, you do seem to try and find ways to see them in an even worse light.  A valuable part of our lives was taken from us and basically destroyed.  Most of us take that personal.  IN fact, it is personal.  The program may not be the best, the prettiest, the most expensive, but its damn sure ours and we didn't need what we had crapped on and treated like it has been treated.

1highhog

swineology

Who grew the set to throw curve ball?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I bet you really enjoy the sound of your own voice...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 05, 2017, 07:09:39 pm
I bet you really enjoy the sound of your own voice...
Obviously not nearly as much as you do yours ;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 1highhog on November 05, 2017, 06:58:44 pm
In reference to Chuck Barrett calling Razorback fans terrorists.
Sorry, I obviously missed that one. Then again, I rarely listen to CB on anything.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: BrockndaRock on November 05, 2017, 12:30:48 pm
Go back and re-watch the question. He clearly states those in the locker room are the insiders. Bo doesn't help by calling us "outsiders" in the question though...

Well, unless you are in the locker room everyday, you are an outsider. Stop reaching. C'mon man....some folks are just looking to pounce on anything.

HognotinMemphis

This is embarrassing. I am embarrassed for you.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 05, 2017, 07:46:55 pm
This is embarrassing. I am embarrassed for you.
Too bad you didn't get lost on your fly fishing expedition. However, if I ever had any doubts as to the wisdom of my original post I now have it: you're embarrassed for me. Wow, had that NOT been the case I truly would have been concerned. However, the traditional "quality" (burp) of your posts ensure that I have, indeed, hit the nail on the head.

BTW despite the pitiful performance yesterday at least I managed to watch the game and do my best to cheer the Hogs on. Now where were you again ??? :) 

The OTR

Did you send this to coach or are you playing make believe?  Seems like this was written directly to the man himself.

Just acting you to clarify.  Don't get all huffy and swell up like a toad like usual.

swineology

2013: 0-8 (Last)
2014: 2-6 ( Last)
2015: 5-3 ( 3rd)
2016: 3-5 ( T-5th)
2017: 1-7 (Last)

Deflect all you want Coach, your record speaks volumes

Pork Twain

Sweet baby Jesus, are you a millennial?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

urkillnmesmalls

Comedy.  I get it...fans are upset.  I'm upset.  But Vantage8 and some of you others make it sound like BB torpedo'd the program intentionally.  I guarantee you he wanted to succeed, but it just didn't work.  What we're watching now is a man who likely knows his fate, and has to go through the motions until the bitter end.  I'm sure the players feel similarly, and if we're not competitive in the first half this Saturday, we may see a team that tanks it the rest of the way to a point that it might be smarter to just forfeit and prevent kids from getting hurt.  That's sad as a fan, no matter how you look at it.   

I heard every word, and to me it was clear that he was trying to make the point that "outsiders," which I took to mean anyone other than a player or coach, is not their concern.  And you know what?  He's right.  Their concern is winning football games, and how the fans feel doesn't affect their preparation, planning, and committment.  I have ZERO issue with him making that statement and taking that stance.  It's the same attitude you get from a lot of coaches.  It doesn't mean they don't love and appreciate that fans, but it does mean that us talking about things on Hogville has zero impact on what they are trying to accomplish, and what people outside the locker room say and do is likely to do more harm than good.   

It's the losing that affects the fans with attendance, moral, and merchandising.  But...that's an end result.  Do you see the difference Vantage8? 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

farmhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 05, 2017, 12:04:09 pm
More questions need to be asked and he should be uncomfortable. Brettt was being intentionally rude to the media as well as to the fans.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Inhogswetrust

November 06, 2017, 07:12:10 am #32 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:16:15 pm by Inhogswetrust
I've never understood the outsider type moments from coaches. It's the same as them saying "Well you weren't in the locker room or at practice. True except therein lies the problem. We are not inside the program but without fans programs don't exist anywhere. We are the CUSTOMERS. Once we buy we don't want to have buyers remorse or be sold a bill of goods or a defective product. As a person that has hired a lot of people I understand than IF my hires don't make enough of the customers happy AND the boss happy I'll have to fire them. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The OTR

Vantage is catching it from everybody.

I'm enjoying this.  Not a big fan of Vantage as he seems to follow me around a little too much.

Good work, Smalls and Muskogee.  Always enjoyed Smalls take on stuff. Really like Muskogee's take on this.

The NewEra

When I first hear Bielema's comment it bothered me.  Then I realized he probably didn't mean it the way I took it since he is in the circle the wagons mode and has been for a while.  What probably made it sound worse was his aggressive attitude to almost any question that wasn't a pure softball.  The earlier question about his apparent demeanor on the sideline already had his feathers riled up.  He tends to never finish a thought and often goes off on another subject and that doesn't help at times when the media wants clear cut answers.  He was basically being asked to justify the current state of the program where we had to eek out a one point win against a 1-7 CC club.  He didn't want any part of that.

As I look back at it I think it was the overall tone of the PC that concerns me.  It was the most hostile he's been yet, and several in the media have stated just that, so it wasn't only me to feel that way.  I expect the questions to start getting tougher because of his defensive attitude.  When asked about not playing Hammonds for two years he was defensive there also accusing anyone who doubted him of being negative.

We will see what happens, but I hope he does a better job in the future.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on November 06, 2017, 07:38:56 am

I'm enjoying this.  Not a big fan of Vantage as he seems to follow me around a little too much.

Good work, Smalls and Muskogee.  Always enjoyed Smalls take on stuff. Really like Muskogee's take on this.
Vantage tends to stalk posters here. He has stalked me in the recent past  as well. Very odd guy. He seems young but who knows. Not too bright, either way.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

greenie

I think its time for Bret to go, but the vehement, personal attacks on him is ridiculous.  I believe the guy has given his all for this program, done his best, and shown real character along the way.  The way people dissect his every word and continue to call him Bert is childish, and partially due to (I'm sure) the lingering anger regarding the Petrino dismissal.  It's not surprising, since so many seem to truly believe that Jeff Long doesn't care about winning.  I can somewhat understand the unhappiness with Long's hiring record, but extrapolating a comment about "not at all costs" into "winning doesn't matter" just degrades the credibility of those willing to state it as fact.

I'm thankful for CBB's efforts, and wish him well.

The OTR

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 08:39:42 am
Vantage tends to stalk posters here. He has stalked me in the recent past  as well. Very odd guy. He seems young but who knows. Not too bright, either way.

Not too bright. Describes most of us.  If we were very bright we wouldn't be wasting so much time here arguing around with each other.

Piggfoot

The people who Bielema was talking about being  outsiders are the anarchists to the program including the team, the coaches and the AD. 90% of Hogville are  now anarchists.
Nolan had a "us against the world mentality". I suspect Nolan reminded him of that when they met.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Augustus

I think it's just a case of: he's had to make excuses in post game pressers for so long... even he doesn't know what he's saying, anymore.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 05, 2017, 09:59:03 pm
Comedy.  I get it...fans are upset.  I'm upset.  But Vantage8 and some of you others make it sound like BB torpedo'd the program intentionally.  I guarantee you he wanted to succeed, but it just didn't work.  What we're watching now is a man who likely knows his fate, and has to go through the motions until the bitter end.  I'm sure the players feel similarly, and if we're not competitive in the first half this Saturday, we may see a team that tanks it the rest of the way to a point that it might be smarter to just forfeit and prevent kids from getting hurt.  That's sad as a fan, no matter how you look at it.   

I heard every word, and to me it was clear that he was trying to make the point that "outsiders," which I took to mean anyone other than a player or coach, is not their concern.  And you know what?  He's right.  Their concern is winning football games, and how the fans feel doesn't affect their preparation, planning, and committment.  I have ZERO issue with him making that statement and taking that stance.  It's the same attitude you get from a lot of coaches.  It doesn't mean they don't love and appreciate that fans, but it does mean that us talking about things on Hogville has zero impact on what they are trying to accomplish, and what people outside the locker room say and do is likely to do more harm than good.   

It's the losing that affects the fans with attendance, moral, and merchandising.  But...that's an end result.  Do you see the difference Vantage8?
In no way, shape or form have I ever said or even hinted that CBB has purposely wrecked the program. Duh, while I may not like the joob he's done, I don't think the guy is either (job) suicidal or self-destructive. However, to say the man has no right to dismiss the concerns of the fans and others he deems as "outsiders" is also baloney. No doubt the TEAM needs to concentrate on trying to win games. No doubt our best wishes and full support should be for the kids who play the  game. However, when it comes to the COACHES who are paid very good money to produce more than dung heap we see on the field game after game I think "outsider" thoughts and unhappiness should be very much taken into account. To dismiss the notion that our attitudes toward his job is totally bunk. So in the end, I DO get the difference. And by the way, when you mention "that's the end result" you're correct. Only thing is when it really comes down to it in this case it's the "end result" of wins and losses that count. Nothing more, nothing less.

hobhog

Saban says this and worse every day and no one says a word.

It's all about wins and loses. If you lose people will criticize EVERYTHING/ANYTHING

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on November 06, 2017, 07:38:56 am

Well at least my posts don't concentrate on making weather forecasts, fashion statements (will or won't Bret wear a windbreaker or some such tripe), a trip to a gas station in Mountainburg and my opinion on the food served there. They also don't contain critics about what CBB allegedly orders after games-the latest being something about lobster. I do have to ask what the heck does that have to do about anything of true relevance? And then there is the continuous and monotonous ramblings about the peanut butter sandwiches (or whatever) being served at halftime. I mean come on-at least offer something of real substance. At least if you're going to set yourself up possible disagreement with others make it worth something of value. And btw I wondered what the heck happened to the infamous Robert Shields from a few years back. Well we all know now-he came back as Pillowhead Jackson.

twistitup

Quote from: BRUTUS POUNDCAKE on November 05, 2017, 06:08:15 pm
He has circled is wagon and is in his death spiral of us against everyone who may second guess the program

There is no wagon
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hoglady

I think most fans would just like to see a little more accountability and acknowledgment of his failures.
His - we aren't listening to the "negative people" mantra just doesn't fly very well.
He should be really pissed right now - at himself, at his staff, at his team.
I don't really think he is - so we see a soft, disorganized, non-functioning mess of a team.

Accountability - he seems to require that in everything except on the field performance.
And I don't see him requiring it of himself or his staff
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 11:13:14 am
In no way, shape or form have I ever said or even hinted that CBB has purposely wrecked the program. Duh, while I may not like the joob he's done, I don't think the guy is either (job) suicidal or self-destructive. However, to say the man has no right to dismiss the concerns of the fans and others he deems as "outsiders" is also baloney. No doubt the TEAM needs to concentrate on trying to win games. No doubt our best wishes and full support should be for the kids who play the  game. However, when it comes to the COACHES who are paid very good money to produce more than dung heap we see on the field game after game I think "outsider" thoughts and unhappiness should be very much taken into account. To dismiss the notion that our attitudes toward his job is totally bunk. So in the end, I DO get the difference. And by the way, when you mention "that's the end result" you're correct. Only thing is when it really comes down to it in this case it's the "end result" of wins and losses that count. Nothing more, nothing less.

Your last sentence echoes what I've been saying.  Bhphilips has said it many times, and so have other people who have played sports at the D1 level....the fans matter, and can create momentum, help moral, and play a part in the game through their noise levels. 

So if you're the coach, and you see empty stands, people leaving early, and getting comments about your facial expressions and demeanor, how would YOU handle that situation?  What would you refer to the fans as rather than "outsiders?"  Do you compliment the people who left? "Hey....glad you guys left early, and I would have probably done the same thing.  I applaud you for your displeasure, and I'll be expecting it to rub off on the moral of the players this week.  Thanks for your help in magnifying the issue and making it that much more difficult.  Oh...and BTW, it's awesome to hear that people think we've lost the team, and it was evidenced by them giving every ounce they had to prevent a loss to a team that was having a career game against us, we had everything going against us, and we had every excuse to mail it in." 

Sometimes I'm taken aback why what some people expect.  Maybe it's easier to understand if you put yourself in his shoes?  How do you address that?  "Yeah, I probably looked a little surly today.  I hate losing too, and I have a $4.5M dollar salary on the line.  The difference is, I can't grab my stuff and go home early." 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

CareBear

You are spot on my friend! Both Jeff Long and CBB have sold themselves as bastions of integrity as if Arkansas Football program has been dirty or less than in the past. It's all propaganda my friends. We are passionate fan base that is classy & patient as a fan base can be until you BS us one too many times. It was the wrong hire. Jeff Long was derelict in his duties as AD in regards to vetting football coaches and giving everyone a fair shot. After the "Love Letter" Jeffy knew damn, good, and well who he was going to hire. This has been the most pathetic 5yrs of Hog football I've ever seen...& it was "Outsiders" who got us in this pickle. I hope for a strong hire. Just a guy who loves football & knows X's & O's. Progressive!

The OTR

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 11:26:12 am
Well at least my posts don't concentrate on making weather forecasts, fashion statements (will or won't Bret wear a windbreaker or some such tripe), a trip to a gas station in Mountainburg and my opinion on the food served there. They also don't contain critics about what CBB allegedly orders after games-the latest being something about lobster. I do have to ask what the heck does that have to do about anything of true relevance? And then there is the continuous and monotonous ramblings about the peanut butter sandwiches (or whatever) being served at halftime. I mean come on-at least offer something of real substance. At least if you're going to set yourself up possible disagreement with others make it worth something of value. And btw I wondered what the heck happened to the infamous Robert Shields from a few years back. Well we all know now-he came back as Pillowhead Jackson.

I knew you were going to get huffy and I don't think any of us wanted to see you spitting and sputtering around in here.

Gas station catfish, crustaceans slathered in butter for sunday dinner, peanut butter sandwiches, 5X windbreakers (with and without initials), and the stupidity of thinking any kind of weather, elevation, time of day the game is played, etc. would favor the hogs is what we as a fan base have been reduced to talking about. 

Now you've gotten a nice beat down in this thread (deservedly so) and it's time to pick yourself up and dust yourself off and go back to posting like normal. There are some people who need to start threads and there are some who need to contribute to threads and there are some who need to just mostly read threads and not contribute too much to anything in here. I'm not going to say which category I think you should be in.  I'll let you and others decide that. 

What I will say is no offense meant on what I've said in this thread.  I think you've been scolded enough by everyone and I don't want to just add on to the scolding.  And if you want to apologize to anyone (including me) it would probably go a long way toward making things right for yourself on here.

You're not a bad guy, Vantage. You just have a way with words sometimes that puts you on the defensive. Not a crime. 

Godspeed to you and let's hope CBB is gone soon. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: greenie on November 06, 2017, 09:16:31 am
I think its time for Bret to go, but the vehement, personal attacks on him is ridiculous.  I believe the guy has given his all for this program, done his best, and shown real character along the way.  The way people dissect his every word and continue to call him Bert is childish, and partially due to (I'm sure) the lingering anger regarding the Petrino dismissal.  It's not surprising, since so many seem to truly believe that Jeff Long doesn't care about winning.  I can somewhat understand the unhappiness with Long's hiring record, but extrapolating a comment about "not at all costs" into "winning doesn't matter" just degrades the credibility of those willing to state it as fact.

I'm thankful for CBB's efforts, and wish him well.

This should be required reading for all posters here.  Very well stated.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on November 06, 2017, 01:24:34 pm
I knew you were going to get huffy and I don't think any of us wanted to see you spitting and sputtering around in here.

Gas station catfish, crustaceans slathered in butter for sunday dinner, peanut butter sandwiches, 5X windbreakers (with and without initials), and the stupidity of thinking any kind of weather, elevation, time of day the game is played, etc. would favor the hogs is what we as a fan base have been reduced to talking about. 

Now you've gotten a nice beat down in this thread (deservedly so) and it's time to pick yourself up and dust yourself off and go back to posting like normal. There are some people who need to start threads and there are some who need to contribute to threads and there are some who need to just mostly read threads and not contribute too much to anything in here. I'm not going to say which category I think you should be in.  I'll let you and others decide that. 

What I will say is no offense meant on what I've said in this thread.  I think you've been scolded enough by everyone and I don't want to just add on to the scolding.  And if you want to apologize to anyone (including me) it would probably go a long way toward making things right for yourself on here.

You're not a bad guy, Vantage. You just have a way with words sometimes that puts you on the defensive. Not a crime. 

Godspeed to you and let's hope CBB is gone soon.
Well one can make a personal determination as to whether or not I've been "beaten down". I suppose it depends on whether or not you happen to agree with my original post. Some have obviously disagreed, others have actually thought I was pretty much "spot on". However, in the end that doesn't matter in the least. 'Cause I try to actually say something of substance when I do originate a post. I'm most certainly not afraid of others not necessarily agreeing. They most certainly have their right to think differently, and many certainly do. And I'm fine with that. And yes, perhaps at times I do come off as being defensive; however, I'd prefer to describe it as very firm in my beliefs. I was brought up to form my beliefs based on how I interpret the FACTS of a situation; and once I do I'm to defend those ideals until/unless I'm proven wrong. And yes, I AM wrong from time to time. At least I'm willing to very publicly admit that.

As far as my starting threads-well again, I'll let others decide that. I would suspect that would usually be within the purview of the mods. IF they don't think the subject matter needs to either be brought up to begin with and/or appropriate then they'll very likely put it into "trash". A LOT of posts from a lot of HV members have found their way into that black hole. So until YOU become a moderator, God forbid that moment, how about stopping being the judge and jury as to whether I have the right or place to originate something on this site? And yes, I'll do my best to do the same.

BTW if you truly believe that many of your various inane posts are all most of us have to discuss on here then we're in far bigger trouble than I've ever dreamt. Then again I've obviously given our readers and members for more credit for their intelligence and seriousness than you. I'm convinced they have a far greater intellectual capacity and deeper fan appreciation than merely fashion, eating, and weather reports.