Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorback500

Congrats World Series Champions!

Come on out Steve, it's ok now! Woo-hoo!

Do you wanna get Rocked?

McKdaddy

Put Theo in the hof today.
Congrats to the cubs.  Well deserved.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 02, 2016, 11:06:09 pm
Someone needs to audit Joe Maddon's finances.  I'm beginning to think he is throwing the game for some extra cash.

Ha, I found myself thinking that.

DeltaBoy

Congrads to the Cubs WS champions for the first time in 108 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

The series was good for baseball.  Many of us who MLB has lost over the years paid at least somewhat attention to it and tuned in.  Ratings best of since before the steroid, large-small market, expansion era started.  It helped having an underdog and one of baseball old franchises in the series with them.  Now we will probably get a movie somehow related to the Cubs and they'll be the thing for a little while like the Red Sox were. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoglady

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 02, 2016, 11:06:09 pm
Someone needs to audit Joe Maddon's finances.  I'm beginning to think he is throwing the game for some extra cash.

The Cubs were a good enough team to overcome some truly questionable managerial moves over game 6 and 7. Maddon was nervous - you could see it on his face in the dugout. Nerves and pressure can make you not think straight sometimes. During the rain break - ARod sure ripped into him, I was shocked he was so candid.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Remarkable the series went 7 with the lack of depth in the Indians pitching which finally ran out.  Francona was in a tough spot with Shaw.  Thought it was obvious the after the Bryant fly out it Shaw didn't have it. 

Did you know Schwarber had knee surgery?  Don't know if you manage to catch that in one of the few hundred times FOX mentioned it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

McKdaddy

I hope Bartman will find peace and resume the life he once had.

McKdaddy

pigture perfect

Congrats Cubbies. That's all I got really.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HognotinMemphis

I was at Cubs-Reds game on Friday. A great time. Cubs hit a 3 run HR in bottom of 8th with 2 out to win it 5-4. Wrigley is so beautiful.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Nice job, Cubs. Take it to the Dodgers now.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Bigfoot

The Cubs are fun to watch.

Wade Davis was a huge addition to this team. 44 pitch, 7 out save last night.

Cubs playing in 3rd straight nlcs.

ChicoHog

As a die hard Dodger fan I will hand it to the Cubs for a strong second half and beating the Nationals who were the better team during the regular season.  I was hoping they would win as I didn't want to face Scherzer and Strasberg.  Looking forward to a good series and paying you guys back for last year. 

ChicoHog

Dodgers take first game!  Much more interesting than Hog game tonight!

ChicoHog

Heading to Chicago up 2-0.  Looking good!!

ChicoHog

Dodgers are NL Champions!   

Bigfoot

Congrats to the Dodgers.

The better team won.

Dropkick

Great year for the Cubs. Hats off to Dodgers, they were just better. Now go beat the Yankees! (or Astros)

ChicoHog

Quote from: Dropkick on October 20, 2017, 12:22:05 pm
Great year for the Cubs. Hats off to Dodgers, they were just better. Now go beat the Yankees! (or Astros)
Thanks for the kudos.  I think the Astros win tonight with Verlander but Yankees take game 7. Dodgers/Yankees World Series would be great.  Just like the old days! 

southarkhog06

I never thought I would see the day that the Cubs would make the NLCS 3 years in a row.

Congrats to the Dodgers, I still hope the Astros beat you in 7 games, but you earned it.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 23, 2017, 02:23:39 am
I never thought I would see the day that the Cubs would make the NLCS 3 years in a row.

Congrats to the Dodgers, I still hope the Astros beat you in 7 games, but you earned it.
Me either. But it finally has happened and in my lifetime too! I'm going back next year for more games at Wrigley. I can't believe it has been since 1989 that I was last at a Cubs game. Loved the experience in late Sept on last weekend of regular season.

Glad Astros beat the Dodgers. I don't give a dang about the Dodgers way out in California. Would much rather a team from Texas win it.

southarkhog06

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 13, 2017, 11:03:01 am
Me either. But it finally has happened and in my lifetime too! I'm going back next year for more games at Wrigley. I can't believe it has been since 1989 that I was last at a Cubs game. Loved the experience in late Sept on last weekend of regular season.

Glad Astros beat the Dodgers. I don't give a dang about the Dodgers way out in California. Would much rather a team from Texas win it.
I mean Texas is about tied with Cali for states I dislike, but I always had a soft spot for the Astros, and they have DK who is one of my favorite Razorbacks of all time. Another plus is I don't want to see the Dodgers win. I cant stand to see these teams that basically print money win.

clutch

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 15, 2017, 02:56:12 am
I mean Texas is about tied with Cali for states I dislike, but I always had a soft spot for the Astros, and they have DK who is one of my favorite Razorbacks of all time. Another plus is I don't want to see the Dodgers win. I cant stand to see these teams that basically print money win.

Me either. Their payroll was $41M more than the second highest payroll last season.

Bigfoot

southarkhog06

Quote from: clutch on November 17, 2017, 05:57:16 am
Me either. Their payroll was $41M more than the second highest payroll last season.
Looks like the Yankees are soaring back to the top as well,  :puke:

Dropkick

Bigfoot

February 10, 2018, 02:43:11 pm #527 Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:06:52 pm by Bigfoot
I really like the addition of Darvish to the rotation.

Even though he has been more of a six inning starter these days, this certainly does strengthen the Cubs World Series contender status.

Bigfoot

Tyler Chatwood (starter) and Brandon Morrow (closer) were both good additions as well this offseason.

Morrow kinda reminds me of Wade Davis.

ChicoHog

I was kind of hoping the Dodgers would resign Darvish but I knew it wouldn't happen as they are focusing on staying under the luxury tax cap so they can spend money on free agents next season, likely Bryce Harper and/or Kershaw who can opt out after 2018 season.  Darvish is a good pitcher who just blew up in the World series.  He will do well for the Cubs.  I know we will miss Morrow but 12M a year is too much for a setup guy for Jansen. 

You guys want Matt Kemp?  We are trying hard to move him but no takers! 

Bigfoot

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 10, 2018, 11:34:28 pm
I was kind of hoping the Dodgers would resign Darvish but I knew it wouldn't happen as they are focusing on staying under the luxury tax cap so they can spend money on free agents next season, likely Bryce Harper and/or Kershaw who can opt out after 2018 season.  Darvish is a good pitcher who just blew up in the World series.  He will do well for the Cubs.  I know we will miss Morrow but 12M a year is too much for a setup guy for Jansen. 

It will be interesting to see where Harper ends up. A lot of money will be spent on that guy for sure.

Bigfoot

According to FanGraphs' projections, the Cubs now have the third-best rotation in the game....

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=SP

That represents a big improvement over last season, when the Cubs' starters had slipped to 10th in the majors in WAR.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 10, 2018, 11:34:28 pm

That  2018 class is loaded with Manny Machado, Charlie Blackmon, and Josh Donaldson set to be available.

Bigfoot

The superteams

Houston Astros

Cleveland Indians

Los Angeles Dodgers

New York Yankees

Chicago Cubs

Washington Nationals

The not-quite-elite

Boston Red Sox

St Louis Cardinals

Chasing the wild card

Arizona Diamondbacks

New York Mets

Los Angeles Angels

Minnesota Twins

San Francisco Giants

Seattle Mariners

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22457017/mlb-stock-watch-superteams-enemies-boras-here-where-all-30-teams-stand

Bigfoot

Good read....

"I don't like to talk about other teams," Indians manager Terry Francona said recently. "But those guys [the Cubs' front office] always get what they need. That is a good five-man rotation. I would love to face them in the World Series again."

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/46434/remember-2016-these-cubs-could-be-just-as-good

ChicoHog

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on February 15, 2018, 03:00:43 pm
That  2018 class is loaded with Manny Machado, Charlie Blackmon, and Josh Donaldson set to be available.
Charlie Blackmon is a stud and I'd love to have him join the dodgers but I wish he would shave that ugly beard! 

DZ

Cubs Ian Happ Homers on first pitch of the 2018 season!

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22955580

Tai_Mai_Shu

hog.goblin

The Cubs got off to a slow start this year, but battled back very strong even with some injuries and finished 13 - 4 during their last 17 going into the break.

Pitching is still a concern to me.

The hitting is deep and Baez is the current Cub that is on fire with Rizzo and Schwarber playing very well the last 3 weeks or so.

Bigfoot

Interesting final weekend of the season in the NL central.

Cubs lost to the Cardinals today. Couple that with a Brewers win tonight and there's a tie for first place in the central division and a tie for the best record in the national league. The Brewers are for real.

There very well may be a tiebreaker game Monday for the central division title between the Cubs and Brewers.

Bigfoot

The Cardinals are officially eliminated from the playoffs after the Dodgers win tonight.

Heartbreaking for the Cardinals. They had a remarkable turnaround this year. They deserve to be in the playoffs, imo.

hog.goblin

We have two playoff games tomorrow, with the losers playing each other in another playoff game.  MLB, it's fantastic!

Go Cubs!

Braves may be the winners in all of this by getting some rest.

Biggus Piggus

It is 1-1 in the sixth, Cubs-Brewers.
[CENSORED]!

hog.goblin

Tied for the best record in the national league and now a one-game playoff to make the playoffs.  Just doesn't make any sense.  Exciting though.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 01, 2018, 04:57:57 pm
Tied for the best record in the national league and now a one-game playoff to make the playoffs.  Just doesn't make any sense.  Exciting though.

Yep it's a shame but it is what it is. Hopefully they take care of the Rockies tonight.

hog.goblin

It's okay.  Rockies and Cubs will hug it out.

TheRazorback500

Offense shockingly silent.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on October 03, 2018, 08:03:21 pm
Offense shockingly silent.

2 runs over 22 innings at Wrigley.  Not too shocking.  It's a potent offense but I think we were 2nd in the majors with games of 1 run or less.  With no speed it's a bit feast or famine.

TheRazorback500

Bullpen was a letdown, also.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Pulled(PP)pork

have taken a seat right next to the cardinals at the bar, to watch the series yet again, bwhahahahahahaha

PP