Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fly in the ointment

Started by go hogues, December 01, 2012, 10:08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go hogues

If Mack "retires" tomorrow, does this screw everyone's coaching searches?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

kaiserhog

Hog Milanese

Quote from: go hogues on December 01, 2012, 10:08:05 pm

Yes, and it would lead to Jeff Long's undoing.

TexHog188

Mack's playing 16 freshman this year. They won't fire him.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Hogsmo Kramer

Would not be good especially for us I'm afraid.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

mmhogs17

DoghouseHog2

Big time. Patterson or peterson either one could change their mind if They are thinking about leaving.
over and out.

whosiskid

Depends. If Petersen is our first choice and he says yes, nothing changes. I don't think Petersen would do a restart with Texas in mind. But if Patterson is our first choice or if he is our #2 and Petersen says no, then we could be in some trouble.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Fan1958

Brown is contracted thru 2020.  Yeah, they could fire him and buy out his contract.  Not gonna happen.  Arkansas is more likely to hire BP than Texas is to fire MB.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

kaiserhog

OTTER

Quote from: kaiserhog on December 01, 2012, 10:16:53 pm
Mack may decide to retire.
I'd bet against that if I were you.  Mack will be back at Texass next year.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

kaiserhog

Quote from: OTTER on December 01, 2012, 10:21:43 pm
I'd bet against that if I were you.  Mack will be back at Texass next year.
No betting, just useless speculation.  However, they are being humiliated by K-State.

hogman99

The fly will be if Boise St officials tell Petersen they are not going to the Big East!!  That is what we need to worried about!!

Tejano Jawg

The people in Austin (who know) say the way it will work is...close friends of MB will gently talk him into stepping down. Saying things like "you've solidified your place in history, your legacy is safe, etc." He won't be fired.

Here's one reason I don't think it will be this year...it seemed no matter how many losses Texas had, or how bad they were, they NEVER dropped out of the Top 25. In other words, this year just wasn't bad enough.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Lysol

Mack will never willingly retire. Trust me on this.

beantownhog

I actually think--hope--that Jeff has his man "locked up," and is just waiting for Monday to get the papers signed.  If Mack retires, however, gotta believe that Aubbie and Tenn. will be scrambling.

For what it's worth, I am not convinced that Texas would jump on Patterson.  They have, arguably, the best job in all of college football; they may go after an even bigger fish.  Since Texas pretty much recruits itself, they would be wise to go after a solid Xs and Os coach.
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

nebhog70

Mack is safe as long as Dodds is the AD
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

Cartoon Man

What about Saban to Texas ? New challenge, when Mack steps down. Muschamp got tired of waiting.

Rayzor

Quote from: go hogues on December 01, 2012, 10:08:05 pm
Yep and for any team looking for a coach. 

Exactly why our search should have been over before now

870hogfan

Quote from: Rayzor on December 01, 2012, 11:00:06 pm
Yep and for any team looking for a coach. 

Exactly why our search should have been over before now

How can it be over before today? He couldn't talk to any coaches till their season was over...

Hog inAustin

Quote from: TexHog188 on December 01, 2012, 10:10:59 pm
Mack's playing 16 freshman this year. They won't fire him.

More noise from well places horn fans than the 14 years I have been here.  I have to believe that unless Mack is ready, it doesn't happen for this reason.  I know that the negative media is weighing heavy as it would any of us.   

Hogarusa

It does not cause any heartache for Long.  I say no
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rhog1

It would be like when we had Billy Gillespie locked up and then Kentucky came open.  We ended up Altmand and then stuck with Pelphrey.

Rayzor

Quote from: 870hogfan on December 01, 2012, 11:03:42 pm
How can it be over before today? He couldn't talk to any coaches till their season was over...
Couldn't?? didn't know that was the rule.  ;)

go hogues

Quote from: nebhog70 on December 01, 2012, 10:41:08 pm
Mack is safe as long as Dodds is the AD
I've heard rumblings that Dodds is going to "retire", then Mack will "retire" and be promoted to AD, thus creating an opening for a new coach. May not happen this year though.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 01, 2012, 10:16:01 pm
Brown is contracted thru 2020.  Yeah, they could fire him and buy out his contract.  Not gonna happen.  Arkansas is more likely to hire BP than Texas is to fire MB.

Has a huge buyout, even by Texas standards...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

mindtoxicity

if Mack leaves they'll hire Bobby Petrino because Texas doesn't care what people think.

Hoggycronopolis

Lord god, I sure hope not! I worked too hard on this avatar haha!
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they SMITE you, and then you win"  
-Ghandi

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
-George Carlin

MDH

Mack is going to 'retire' like Bowden 'retired', he just seems like that kind of guy.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

WBOBO

To answer the OP's question YES.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

hoggnthesec

I dont see him doing it for a couple more years...and when he retires they can get any coach they want they have the $$$$$$.

WBOBO

They have the money.  They don't heart.  Georgaia vs Bama yesterday.  That is heart and both put it on the field. 

Mack can't sniff that kinda play.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

EastTexasHog

If K State had issued a beat down game, Mack might have trouble, but this loss won't force him out

MDH

Quote from: EastTexasHog on December 02, 2012, 06:47:49 am

If K State had issued a beat down game, Mack might have trouble, but this loss won't force him out

It was a fairly entertaining game.  Didn't hold a candle to the SECG though.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul