Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

This has been a fun series to watch.
I wish I hated one of these teams so I could really pull for someone.
I thought I would be for the Cubs, but it's really hard for me to root against Tito.
I love baseball and am always sad when it comes to an end - glad this one is going to Game 7.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on November 02, 2016, 09:05:57 am

I love baseball and am always sad when it comes to an end - glad this one is going to Game 7.

^^^^^
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

razCzar

It has been an especially fun series to watch.  I don't always pay attention to the WS, but with Cubs and Indians, who could resist! 

I'm pulling for the Cubs in this one.  More than any fanbase, those avid Chicago folks deserve it.

hog.goblin

Quote from: razCzar on November 02, 2016, 09:45:28 am
More than any fanbase, those avid Chicago folks deserve it.

I've been waiting 108 years for this moment!!!!

clutch

Opinions on Maddon using Chapman last night in a blowout game?

Dropkick

Quote from: clutch on November 02, 2016, 11:08:49 am
Can't second guess him till it backfires. I was extremely surprised by the move though.

hoglady

Quote from: clutch on November 02, 2016, 11:08:49 am

He's been questioned all morning in various articles and on ESPN.
It'll be especially bad if Chapman really did more than just tweek that knee last night.
I would still rather be the Cubs than the Indians.
Pitching Kluber for the 3rd time in the series - 2nd straight time on short rest - it's hard to say how effective he'll be. Indians have the big 3 in the bullpen but they'll still need some good innings out of Kluber.
Cubs have all the momentum.
What Francona has managed to accomplish this post season after losing his #2 and #3 starters has been pretty masterful.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

cosmodrum

Three great World Series' in a row.

Go Cubbies!
Go away, batin'

clutch

Quote from: hoglady on November 02, 2016, 11:38:41 am
He's been questioned all morning in various articles and on ESPN.
It'll be especially bad if Chapman really did more than just tweek that knee last night.
I would still rather be the Cubs than the Indians.
Pitching Kluber for the 3rd time in the series - 2nd straight time on short rest - it's hard to say how effective he'll be. Indians have the big 3 in the bullpen but they'll still need some good innings out of Kluber.
Cubs have all the momentum.
What Francona has managed to accomplish this post season after losing his #2 and #3 starters has been pretty masterful.

I feel like I like the Indians chances because of the bullpen situations. The Cubs really have to hope that they get a lot of innings out of their starter. He's been great all year, but it's a lot tougher knowing you may not have anyone behind you. Especially if Chapman's knee isn't quite right. Kluber knows that he has an arsenal behind him. If they can get 5 innings out of him they are in good shape. Kluber's been so dang good in both games he's pitched though. I expect more of the same from him. Even though it's short rest, it's plenty of rest. The only reason they rest the extra day during the season is because of how many more outings it would cause you to go throughout the year. He will be fine tonight I think.

cosmodrum

Quote from: whosiskid on November 01, 2016, 08:29:53 pm
Addison Russell. Wow. Just wow.

I refuse to get my hopes up until we hit the 9th inning with  this kind of lead.

But lord, we just might send this to Game 7.

Pretty awesome that I got to watch the 19th Grand Slam in WS history, hit by a Cub, with my son.

Go away, batin'

Atlhogfan1

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

$176 million payroll vs $83 million payroll

The difference in depth and talent is obvious. 

One of the reasons MLB lost me years ago.  Would be great to see the Indians spoil the Cubs attempt to buy a WS.  But it would also be great for the Cubs to win so the story will be over much like it was with the Red Sox. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hog.goblin

November 02, 2016, 05:49:09 pm #461 Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:31:14 pm by hog.goblin
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2016, 03:42:38 pm
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

$176 million payroll vs $83 million payroll

The difference in depth and talent is obvious. 

One of the reasons MLB lost me years ago.  Would be great to see the Indians spoil the Cubs attempt to buy a WS.  But it would also be great for the Cubs to win so the story will be over much like it was with the Red Sox. 

$186M to $115M according to your link

And having 4 teams higher then you doesn't give me thoughts of buying a championship, particularly when 6 starters are 24 or younger. 

The Cubs bought a great pitching staff and overpaid for Jason Heyward.

There no Florida Marlins circa 1997.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 02, 2016, 05:49:09 pm
$186M to $115M according to your link

And having 4 teams higher then you doesn't give me thoughts of buying a championship, particularly when 6 starters are 24 or younger. 

The Cubs bought a great pitching staff and overpaid for Jason Heyward.

There no Florida Marlins circa 1997.

25 player roster
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ronmahony

Pulling for the Cubs, their fans remind me of Hog fans.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

ronmahony

They sure have been hitting the last two games.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

southarkhog06

I won't second guess Maddon, but I think Hendricks deserved a chance to get out of this.

Hogz87

Awfully short hook for Hendricks.  Don't really agree with that move but who am I to second guess Maddon?

Hogz87

And right on cue....

That was kind of a fluke, unfortunate play for the Cubs, but Lester's first batter face gets a weak dribbler in the grass for a single and moves the runner on first to third.

ronmahony

Well I guess the curse is alive and well!

Hogz87

And a wild pitch by Lester not only plates the runner on 3rd, the runner on 2nd scores, too.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Hogz87 on November 02, 2016, 08:58:00 pm
And right on cue....

That was kind of a fluke, unfortunate play for the Cubs, but Lester's first batter face gets a weak dribbler in the grass for a single and moves the runner on first to third.
pretty friendly scoring if they ruled that a hit.

Hogz87

David Ross, who was partially responsible for the Indians scoring two in the bottom of the fifth, goes out and gets one back himself in the 6th inning with a solo shot.  And it was off Andrew Miller who hadn't given up a home run since August 14th.  Oh, and David Ross is now the oldest player ever to homer in a World Series game.

ronmahony

OK Ross you made up for it.

southarkhog06

Why are we getting squeezed right now?

hog.goblin

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 02, 2016, 09:22:05 pm
Why are we getting squeezed right now?

No kidding.  Hendricks was out of the inning.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2016, 08:24:26 pm
25 player roster

Cherry picking, but yes, the Indians are underpaid team.  Other than the Cubs I would be rooting for Cleveland.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 02, 2016, 09:28:27 pm
Cherry picking, but yes, the Indians are underpaid team.  Other than the Cubs I would be rooting for Cleveland.

Congrats.

hog.goblin

hoglady

Quote from: clutch on November 02, 2016, 01:06:23 pm
I feel like I like the Indians chances because of the bullpen situations. The Cubs really have to hope that they get a lot of innings out of their starter. He's been great all year, but it's a lot tougher knowing you may not have anyone behind you. Especially if Chapman's knee isn't quite right. Kluber knows that he has an arsenal behind him. If they can get 5 innings out of him they are in good shape. Kluber's been so dang good in both games he's pitched though. I expect more of the same from him. Even though it's short rest, it's plenty of rest. The only reason they rest the extra day during the season is because of how many more outings it would cause you to go throughout the year. He will be fine tonight I think.

Cubs just saw him too many times in too short of a time frame.
Francona really had no other option.

hoglady

Got to hand it to the Cubs tonight.
They so far haven't let their defensive errors domino into horrible innings.
And Ross just decided he would make up for that craziness that allowed the Indians 2 runs.

Hogz87

Maddon's decision to pitch Chapman last night in a blowout is looking even more stupid now.

southarkhog06

Well all the haters can breath a sigh of relief now

hog.goblin

Horrible managing since the 7th inning last night

Dr. Starcs

Cubs will still win this and Maddon will be off the hook.

southarkhog06

Win or lose I have enjoyed every second watching this team this year.
Having said that let's go get the lead back and finish this.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 02, 2016, 10:21:27 pm
Cubs will still win this and Maddon will be off the hook.

Lord I hope you are right

Hogz87

Does Maddon not trust anyone else in his bullpen?  Why is Chapman coming out for the 9th?

southarkhog06

This is the most appropriate thing to happen in a Cubs Indians WS gm 7.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hogz87 on November 02, 2016, 10:47:21 pm
Does Maddon not trust anyone else in his bullpen?  Why is Chapman coming out for the 9th?

Someone needs to audit Joe Maddon's finances.  I'm beginning to think he is throwing the game for some extra cash.

hog.goblin

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 02, 2016, 10:59:56 pm
This is the most appropriate thing to happen in a Cubs Indians WS gm 7.

Hard to argue with that

hoglady

Heck of a game.
It's had a little bit of everything.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hoglady on November 02, 2016, 11:10:36 pm
Heck of a game.
It's had a little bit of everything.

Yes, but let the cubs close it out here.

This is literally killing me

PonderinHog

southarkhog06

What a game, what a world series, what a postseason!!!
I will say it, best team since the '98 Yankees.

hoglady

One of the best World Series games I've seen in a long, long time.
Hate it for the Indians - would have liked to see them win it.
But congratulations to the Cubs and happy for all the Cubs fans.
Theo has sealed his place in baseball history.

ronmahony

I bet there will be a lot of no shows for work tomorrow in Chicago. Good Series Cubs!

hog.goblin

Oh man oh man.  How sweet it is.

ronmahony

Good for you Ross, couldn't think of a better way to retire.

cosmodrum

I love that Zobrist got MVP. He watch clutch for my Royals last year. Great dude.
Go away, batin'

whosiskid

What they will do is set up a big celebration in Grant Park. They will set up some bleachers and after kind of parade through down town it will end up there. Most business will close the office for the after noon or for the morning or for whenever they arrange it.

My daughter will be there. Says she is getting me a Tshirt for Christmas.

The Cubs and one of the networks arranged a April Fools joke this year. The coach of the jr. coll#1 agreed to help on the joke. He told his players that they needed to improve if they were going to get to the next level, but not to despair, he had found a European player who was going to join the team and he was going to make a huge impact on the team. But it meant that people were going to have to give up at bats so this guy. And the coach brought out this new European player. He was very tall and spoke in a dubious accent. It turns out that this new player is actually Kris Bryant, but after his rookie year, he wasn't quite a household name. So they all go out for batting practice and the pitchers say they are going shut this Euro guy down. But of course, Bryant just massacres every pitch thrown at him and the players start to think that maybe this was a good pick  up. But one of the suddenly says, "I think that is Kris Bryant." Someone else agrees and the players all walk over and ask if he is Kris Bryant, and he confesses. So they all laugh, take some selfies, Bryant signs a few autographs, and all is good.

Rizzo is still the team leader, but has any Cub ever had a better start to his career than Bryant? Two  Post season appearances. Two all star games. Rookie of the Year and probably the MVP his second year. And you just know he is going to get some major national endorsements. Kid has a future indeed.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson