Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm Now a Cedric Benson Fan

Started by WilsonHog, April 23, 2005, 12:18:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Very nice interview after being selected fourth by the Chicago Bears.  He talked about the unfair comparisons to Rickey Williams, the harshness of the evaluation process, and about cutting his dredlocks to get a fresh start and approach the draft like a "job interview."

Lot of class, and passion, there.

Good luck, Cedric. 

I'M EMBARRASSED

I completely agree.  I wish he could have been a little more articulate and help explain his position.  His emotions were evidence enough to show what he went through.  It's sad that someone is stigmatized because of their appearances.  He has a lot more class than what I expected.

HogInMemphis

April 23, 2005, 12:32:39 pm #2 Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 12:43:13 pm by HogInMemphis
Quote from: WilsonHog on April 23, 2005, 12:18:51 pm
Very nice interview after being selected fourth by the Chicago Bears.  He talked about the unfair comparisons to Rickey Williams, the harshness of the evaluation process, and about cutting his dredlocks to get a fresh start and approach the draft like a "job interview."

Lot of class, and passion, there.

Good luck, Cedric. 

You're a sucker.  Benson could be a supreme rectum for all you know. Life's tough, except when you get a free college education and a multi-million dollar contract straight out of college. Unfair comparisons to Ricky Williams? Harshness of the evaluation process? Poor little Cedric. What'd he expect when he follows Ricky Williams at Texas and cuts his hair like that pyscho? And the evaluation process is harsh for everyone. It should be when someone is going to pay you millions to work for them. And I'd cry to if I was about to get all the money Benson is going to get.

Arkapigdiesel

He very well might be a class act but seemed articulate as a pine board (burnt orange learning at its finest).  Regardless, I wish the young man well.  Hopefully he doesn't turn out like ricky williams and live in a tiki hut community in california.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

3kgthog

Benson certainly seemed more articulate and educated than Cadillac Williams.  Williams sounded like the stereotypical southern black guy.  There's no way that guy passed freshman English on his own. 

Pragmatic PiG

Benson just had good pr help

he is heartless, and will dissappoint IMO

Razorback Jedi

The one quote I'll remember from Benson...

when asked what he'd rather win, the heisman or a national championship - he replied with the heisman.

Boooo

DillNisWillN28

Just a thought... hasnt every running back the Bears have drafted turned out to be a turd.  I think that Cedrick is a good back but he is going to have troubles there in Chi Town.  That place is CURSED!!!  Atleast he will get to go to the IronHorse!!!  If you dont know what the IronHorse is look it up on the net.  NICE!!!

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: DillNisWillN28 on April 23, 2005, 02:18:43 pm
Just a thought... hasnt every running back the Bears have drafted turned out to be a turd.

Interesting, considering Walter Payton was their first pick in the 1975 draft......

Porkahontas

Quote from: muslimsdonteatme on April 23, 2005, 02:42:22 pm
Quote from: DillNisWillN28 on April 23, 2005, 02:18:43 pm
Just a thought... hasnt every running back the Bears have drafted turned out to be a turd.

Interesting, considering Walter Payton was their first pick in the 1975 draft......

Curtis Enis and Anthony Thomas turned out to be steaming piles'o'crap, though.

Enis was rated one of the ten biggest busts of all time in some publication just a few days ago. Thomas had one decent season and sucked it up hardcore two more years at least.

DillNisWillN28

Yeah that was in 1975 what have they done since then.  20 years and the best player that they have drafted since then was Brian U who cant stay healthy?

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: DillNisWillN28 on April 23, 2005, 03:07:02 pm
Yeah that was in 1975 what have they done since then.  20 years and the best player that they have drafted since then was Brian U who cant stay healthy?

Don't know.  The Bears aren't even on my radar screen.  I couldn't even tell you who their QB is, let alone their RBs.

HornetHog

Hey,

He was smart enough to listen to somebody's advise regarding his appearance and how he is precieved going into the draft....would ricky williams have listened?....hell no

Would he have cut his dreds if none of the Ricky Williams dope smoking crap ever happened?  Hell no
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

Tideboy

One thing that should be interesting in the Bears training camp is that Tommy Harris (from OU) plays DT for the Bears.  I'm sure he will lay a little extra something on his first hit on Benson. ;D
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Tideboy/tideboy1.jpg

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another" (Job 19:25–27).

ocelot_ark

I thought he sounded bitter....like someone who had always gotten to have everything his way, suddenly, wasn't happening anymore.

hawgfan_18

Whens is the last time Arkansas has had a player drafted in the top 10 or even top 5

ThunderHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 23, 2005, 12:52:19 pm
Benson certainly seemed more articulate and educated than Cadillac Williams. Williams sounded like the stereotypical southern black guy. There's no way that guy passed freshman English on his own.

Nice post.  Don't you guys realize that there are graduate assistants in athletic departments that sit around on Sunday afternoons looking for this kind of crap to print and save for recruiting time.

hawgfan_18

I think alot of his interview was for show, I mean this is the same guy that kicked in someone's door because he thought they stole his tv

abq

April 23, 2005, 06:29:02 pm #18 Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 06:36:56 pm by abq
I thought someone was gonna have to call the Waaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance for Cedric. What the hell. He just finished a great college career but never lived up to the hype. Now he's gonna have a fat contract. Damn, champagne problems.

I enjoyed watching Cadillac's happy reaction to his pick. He put a smile on my face and I couldn't help but be happy right along with him. He seemed like a great kid. I'm just happy both he and Brown are gone from Auburn now and the Hogs won't have to face them anymore.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Porkahontas on April 23, 2005, 03:04:26 pm

Enis was rated one of the ten biggest busts of all time in some publication just a few days ago. Thomas had one decent season and sucked it up hardcore two more years at least.

Didn't Da Bears also draft Rashann Salaam?

piggly wiggly

Wasn't this the same kid that was afraid of getting pissed on in Razorback stadium??

Porkahontas

Quote from: DR on April 23, 2005, 06:34:43 pm
Quote from: Porkahontas on April 23, 2005, 03:04:26 pm

Didn't Da Bears also draft Rashann Salaam?

Yes they did.

3 flops with Salaam, Enis, and Thomas, and Benson with the chance of going for the perverbial grand slam of striking out by the Bears by going for RB's early.

Hope Benson is a complete bust, Ki-Jana Carter style. He's inflated his numbers against a number of weaker teams in the Big & Easy 12 (where there's definitely no 'D' in Big Twelve), save Oklahoma shutting his ass down for four years.

Steel City Hog

I think of the 3 of them, Ronnie Brown seemed the most balanced, cool and intelligent...  Cadillac may have sounded dumb, but he WAS funny...  Anyone catch the part where he said that Ronnie "won the war, but the battle isn't over yet"????  That had me rollin...

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: abq on April 23, 2005, 06:29:02 pm
I thought someone was gonna have to call the Waaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance for Cedric.

He dreads the work ahead of him, and was stupid to show it. 

hawgfan_18

Quote from: Steel City Hog on April 23, 2005, 07:57:21 pm
I think of the 3 of them, Ronnie Brown seemed the most balanced, cool and intelligent... Cadillac may have sounded dumb, but he WAS funny... Anyone catch the part where he said that Ronnie "won the war, but the battle isn't over yet"???? That had me rollin...

OMG! yes that was funny!

hawgfan_18

Quote from: piggly wiggly on April 23, 2005, 07:34:34 pm
Wasn't this the same kid that was afraid of getting pissed on in Razorback stadium??
Yupp...He's the one!

Porkahontas

The Cedric Benson file: Games over 100 yards in his career...

2001:
Oklahoma State - 131
Colorado - 100
Mizzou - 157
Baylor - 108
Kansas - 213

2002:
North Carolina - 208 (was awful in 2002)
Houston - 160
Oklahoma State - 117
Iowa State - 199

2003:
Rice - 130
Iowa State - 140
Nebraska - 174
Oklahoma State - 180
Texas Tech -  142
Texas A&M - 283 (who underachieved the entire season)

2004:
North Texas - 181
Arkansas - 188 (we all know how good our defense was last year)
Rice - 189
Baylor - 188
Mizzou - 150
Texas Tech - 168
Colorado - 141
Oklahoma State - 141
Kansas - 161
Texas A&M - 165

Very few 100+ games against quality opponents in this four year look. Benson beat up on Rice, Houston, ISU, Kansas, Texas Tech, Mizzou, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Colorado over that span. Just a couple quality opponents in there that he was able to light it up against.

In comparison...

Oklahoma - did not play
Washington (bowl game) - did not play

Oklahoma - 54 yards on 22 carries
LSU (bowl game) - 46 yards on 12 carries

Oklahoma - 21 yards on 12 carries
Washington State - 83 yards on 22 carries

Oklahoma - 92 yards on 23 carries
Michigan (bowl game) - 70 yards on 23 carries

100 yard games against Oklahoma (the class of the Big XII the past four or five years) and in Bowl games in which he played:
0 out of 6

Benson has done a whole lot against those who have very little on defense. He's all but disappeared over the past 3 years when Texas plays their big rivalry game against Oklahoma. He gets held down against opponents in bowl games. He tears it up against those tough Big XII defenses such as Baylor, Mizzou, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Kansas, though.

Cedric Benson is poised to be the next Anthony Thomas, Rashaan Salaam, or Curtis Enis. Book it.

OKhogfan1959

Didn't he whine about changing an interview and they told him are you going to miss practice like that? He seemed pathetic to me!! Just complaining about someone asking questions about a player they will be spending tons of money on..Of all the gall they want him to show up at an interview...OMG...All you need to know about is Heisman or national Championship...I think they have taken a chance on a loser..JMO.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Steel City Hog on April 23, 2005, 07:57:21 pm
I think of the 3 of them, Ronnie Brown seemed the most balanced, cool and intelligent...  Cadillac may have sounded dumb, but he WAS funny...  Anyone catch the part where he said that Ronnie "won the war, but the battle isn't over yet"????  That had me rollin...

I'm hoping Cadillac didn't get a degree from Auburn. If he did, my kid isn't going there. He probably thinks the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

HogInMemphis

Those stats are mighty telling on Benson. He flops against good comp and that's all he'll see in the NFL. I bet he doesn't do well in the NFL. He's all talk. If I'd drafted him today and then heard what he said in his interview, I'd picked up the phone and traded him instantly if anyone else would take him. He's going to be poison to a team. It's all about him.

Buck Ocean

QuoteWilliams sounded like the stereotypical southern black guy.  There's no way that guy passed freshman English on his own.

I sound like your stereotypical black guy.....and I didnt pass Freshman English or Junior English on my own........but I'm a white dude from the south....
so I guess I'm makin dis souf honky look bad fo y'all
Think like a Jedi

mikeirwin

Quote from: HogInMemphis on April 23, 2005, 10:04:24 pm
I'm hoping Cadillac didn't get a degree from Auburn. If he did, my kid isn't going there. He probably thinks the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
Did we Americans give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ? Hell no.

RazorBrad

Quote from: No longer the "Razorbacks" we're now the "Matt Jonesians" on April 23, 2005, 01:18:48 pm

when asked what he'd rather win, the heisman or a national championship - he replied with the heisman.

Boooo
You dont remember to well then, the question was would he rather win the heisman trophy or beat Ok. He answered with winning the heisman trophy

rricha

bensob will run snd run some more

hawgfan_18

Quote from: RazorBrad on April 24, 2005, 03:07:41 am
Quote from: No longer the "Razorbacks" we're now the "Matt Jonesians" on April 23, 2005, 01:18:48 pm

Cedric Bensons' a newb for saying that.

Boooo
You dont remember to well then, the question was would he rather win the heisman trophy or beat Ok. He answered with winning the heisman trophy