Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Marketing at U of A

Started by Dances With Hogs, April 22, 2005, 03:51:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dances With Hogs

Why does the U of A have no marketing dept, we are always last and then follow what other schools do in the SEC. Only one example was the recruiting big shindig that schools like LSU do on Signing day, and now they say they are looking at it, no school marketing, same old music at the games, same chants, same band songs, etc.

PaulSqueals

April 22, 2005, 03:54:09 pm #1 Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 03:59:25 pm by PaulSqueals
Quote from: Dances With Hogs on April 22, 2005, 03:51:10 pm
Why does the U of A have no marketing dept, we are always last and then follow what other schools do in the SEC. Only one example was the recruiting big shindig that schools like LSU do on Signing day, and now they say they are looking at it, no school marketing, same old music at the games, same chants, same band songs, etc.
You mean like at Tennessee where they sing "Rocky Top" 150 times per game.  Or Ole Miss where they still sing "Dixie."

BTW, Arkansas started something with the RBI girls at baseball games.  Now several SEC schools have similar squads.

Jim Harris

same old athletic director, that's probably the reason.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

sooie dog

There is nothing wrong with tradition. 

NuttsSacked

Quote from: PaulSqueals on April 22, 2005, 03:54:09 pm
You mean like at Tennessee where they sing "Rocky Top" 150 times per game.  Or Ole Miss where they still sing "Dixie."

BTW, Arkansas started something with the RBI girls at baseball games.  Now several SEC schools have similar squads.

I absolutely hate the tune "Rocky Top", but I know every word and chorus.  It's similar to Microsoft marketing.  Continually beat your own drums and eventually folks will buy in to it.

Potential recruits hear it as well.   

tophawg19

road hogg what part of souff ark . you from .new ideas are needed but sometimes we just stay
with tried & true .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

xkyrie

April 23, 2005, 07:55:23 am #6 Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 07:57:47 am by xkyrie
When you have an athletic director who personally witnessed the Jurassic Era AND fit right in, it is difficult to deviate from tradition, which serves as a synonym for "too timid to be creative" and "too dictatorial to allow spontaneous adoption of new and interesting ideas," things will not be better. Our track squad is something to holler about, but when the two biggies of Basketball and Football play on a level consistent with high school, it is premature to be "sticking it" in the opponent's face with clever marketing. In two years, when we have replaced both of these sport's coaches, then we can have bragging rights. When the U of A does try something interesting, the politically correct monkeys exit the cage and begin to whine and bellow. "Code Red" was a decent idea. A cool song would be a welcome addition, but we wouldn't be able to agree on anything interesting. One suggestion: "We Ain't Auburn" wouldn't be a bad song for us.

RiverRatHog

April 23, 2005, 08:10:51 am #7 Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 08:28:17 am by RiverRatHog
QuoteYou mean like at Tennessee where they sing "Rocky Top" 150 times per game.  Or Ole Miss where they still sing "Dixie."

At the 2000 Miss St game in Stankville...I'll be willing to bet "who let the dogs out" was played at least 200 times.  Damn, I hate the song!  At least we won the game...Thank God for Brandon Holmes that night.  WPS

WilsonHog

The only SEC school that I've visited for a football game is Ole Miss. We've yet to win when I've gone to Oxford, but I enjoyed both trips. The pregame festivities are as much of an event as the game itself, and chills went down my spine when the Rebel band played "Dixie". 

heathshogs

We obviously do have a marketing department, lead by Matt Shanklin. They do come up with a lot of ideas, but the mostly suck. As for new cheers and music that basically falls on Jeane Nail and Tim Gunter. They've also tried several new things but a lot of stufff just doesn't stick. Most notably the one pointed out by hoop hog. Most of the time it's just better to stick with tradition.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

katocat13

Root Hog!   ;D

Shanklin is pathetic; our athletic web site is the worst (even the ladybacks' site is better).  Take at look at Tenn.'s sometime and then say we have a good site.   :-\

3kgthog

The only thing Hogwired is useful for is checking schedules.  Everything else is crap.  We have no multimedia, no downloadable content, no updated rosters, too much info on the really bad golf and tennis teams, and too many individual coach websites that they don't even advertise.  I won't even bother to tear into that clusterf*** that is the RazorMall. 

HornetHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 23, 2005, 01:09:34 pm
The only thing Hogwired is useful for is checking schedules. Everything else is crap. We have no multimedia, no downloadable content, no updated rosters, too much info on the really bad golf and tennis teams, and too many individual coach websites that they don't even advertise. I won't even bother to tear into that clusterf*** that is the RazorMall.

2nd that
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

Gman

I'm all for tradition, but we have to be a little more innovative.

tophawg19

welcome U OF A to the 21 century .gotta get with the program.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins