Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College football pricing themselves out of business??

Started by DemiHOG, November 10, 2017, 02:25:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DemiHOG

May take a few more years but I can see a crash coming, espn cutting back, high cost of tickets, coaches salaries, pricing common folks out. So much waste, can't sell out but expanding stadium . I see some rainy days coming and for all of football, pros, college, what do you all think?

theFlyingHog

There will always be corrections in everything. It's cyclical. Disney/ESPN overstepped and are paying for it.

Atlhogfan1

Common folks can go to most any game every season for most programs.  They just don't sit behind glass or in the clubs.

It is why our expansion is smart.  Limited number of additional seats but what is being added brings comfort and amenities to those who want it. 

College football may need to follow the NFL's lead in limiting stadiums capacities.  It will reach a tipping point when you add the assault on the game by some due to injuries. 

Coaching salaries are stupidly high till you realize what a successful program brings to a university.   

The TV money will fade.  We'll see if the popularity does.  NFL is slipping right now.  It may head down the college basketball path whose popularity peaked long ago. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jvanhorn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 10, 2017, 02:42:19 pm
Common folks can go to most any game every season for most programs.  They just don't sit behind glass or in the clubs.

It is why our expansion is smart.  Limited number of additional seats but what is being added brings comfort and amenities to those who want it. 

College football may need to follow the NFL's lead in limiting stadiums capacities.  It will reach a tipping point when you add the assault on the game by some due to injuries. 

Coaching salaries are stupidly high till you realize what a successful program brings to a university.   

The TV money will fade.  We'll see if the popularity does.  NFL is slipping right now.  It may head down the college basketball path whose popularity peaked long ago. 

Not just football pricing themselves out of business.  All sports.  Check what it would take to take a family of 4 to see the St. Louis Cardinals for a couple of days..  Tickets, motel, food, parking, t-shirts, etc. 

Seebs

Going to the Battle of the Ravine this weekend.  The price is right
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

NuttinItUp

I am going with Betteridge's law of headlines on this one.

DeltaBoy

Howard Payne home final  20 bucks for ga,s 30 bucks to eat after the game  and 10 bucks to get in the game. And I will spend 7-10 at the concessions stand.

They play Louisiana College.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

College fans can still go to just about any game cheap. Tickets can routinely be had for under face on the various ticket sites. Now when you start figuring in hotels, etc, yea it gets pricey, BUT THAT has NOTHING to do with college football pricing itself out of business.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DemiHOG

East TN HAWG

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 10, 2017, 03:09:00 pm
Not just football pricing themselves out of business.  All sports.  Check what it would take to take a family of 4 to see the St. Louis Cardinals for a couple of days..  Tickets, motel, food, parking, t-shirts, etc. 

I see it with NASCAR as well.  The redneck blur collar worker can't go as often.  They have out priced their base, and now the sport is dying. They

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: DemiHOG on November 10, 2017, 02:25:46 pm
May take a few more years but I can see a crash coming, espn cutting back, high cost of tickets, coaches salaries, pricing common folks out. So much waste, can't sell out but expanding stadium . I see some rainy days coming and for all of football, pros, college, what do you all think?

It's going to be a lot more than just football, a lot worse than some rainy days, and a lot sooner than a few more years.

Bkhardicars

I used to buy 4 season tickets, but the wife and daughters didn't really care that much about it, so I dropped 2 and would invite someone.For me it was a perfect storm of losing and continuing to raise the prices that I dropped the season tickets and started buying them from individuals outside the stadium for games I only REALLY wanted to see...Last year it was the LSU game, this year it was TCU..I still want them to win every game, but I'm happier keeping my 50-$75 I spend and watching them on TV. ESPECIALLY When we lose.. I'm not boycotting per say, I just really don't want to spend the money on an event that more often than not ends in me becoming angry or upset. IT truly will take a lot to get me back to endure a 2 mile walk after paying $10 to park in someone's cramped yard, shell out a minimum of $50 for a seat sitting next to someone I don't know, spending $10-$15 for a hotdog and "PEPSI". Even when we win, I enjoy sitting on my porch, lighting a stogie, and listening to the post game show about as much as walking back to my car and fighting traffic and missing other games..

grayhawg

Quote from: Bkhardicars on November 10, 2017, 07:44:27 pm
I used to buy 4 season tickets, but the wife and daughters didn't really care that much about it, so I dropped 2 and would invite someone.For me it was a perfect storm of losing and continuing to raise the prices that I dropped the season tickets and started buying them from individuals outside the stadium for games I only REALLY wanted to see...Last year it was the LSU game, this year it was TCU..I still want them to win every game, but I'm happier keeping my 50-$75 I spend and watching them on TV. ESPECIALLY When we lose.. I'm not boycotting per say, I just really don't want to spend the money on an event that more often than not ends in me becoming angry or upset. IT truly will take a lot to get me back to endure a 2 mile walk after paying $10 to park in someone's cramped yard, shell out a minimum of $50 for a seat sitting next to someone I don't know, spending $10-$15 for a hotdog and "PEPSI". Even when we win, I enjoy sitting on my porch, lighting a stogie, and listening to the post game show about as much as walking back to my car and fighting traffic and missing other games..
I think college football is like a new chevy truck no matter how high there will still be people paying the price. While getting the wife's car serviced I walked around the new truck lot, seen some over 60k.

hotdog hog

We went to the Texas AM game and considering both teams started badly was able to buy two tix on the 40yd line for about $100 less than face value with sir charges.
On vacation this summer we attended a MLS game in Dallas and bought front row seats for the four of us for about equal money we payed to watch the MLB Rangers and sat in the right field. Because soccer is a growing sport, the value is incredible for most events.
I paid $5 per day to watch the SEC Tourney in Orange Beach last week. Can't beat it for value, considering how much it cost ($75- $100) to just park at an NFL game.

Rzback

Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

ImHogginIt

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 10, 2017, 06:18:11 pm
I see it with NASCAR as well.  The redneck blur collar worker can't go as often.  They have out priced their base, and now the sport is dying. They

Actually prices have dropped a lot in recent years but still no takers. The sport opened too many mile and a half and 2 mile tracks in the late 90's early 2000's that are boring as sin to watch. They need to go back to their roots with short tracks

grayhawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 10, 2017, 08:49:16 pm
Actually prices have dropped a lot in recent years but still no takers. The sport opened too many mile and a half and 2 mile tracks in the late 90's early 2000's that are boring as sin to watch. They need to go back to their roots with short tracks
And do away with the bodies being the same with different decals, it was a lot better when it was weight+cubic inches and carburators, just run what you brung. I hate this shape template they use on all the cars. And like you said go back to 1/2, 3/4 ans one mile tracks.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 10, 2017, 08:49:16 pm
I live less than a mile from short track in Bristol.  Even this track is dead and it was once the hardest ticket to get.  Half seats are empty.  Its dead. 

Torqued pork

Sometimes it's about changed priorities.  I personally know a couple of guys who used to practically never miss home games. These days they're more interested in fishing out of their $50,000 bass boats or pulling their $15,000 side-by-sides to the woods with their $50,000 trucks. It isn't always a money issue.

moses_007

Yes colleges have priced tickets way too high for the average fan.  Why pay $80 or more to sit in the stadium when you can watch it for free on TV.  I know I'm not.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 11:47:52 pm
Yes colleges have priced tickets way too high for the average fan.  Why pay $80 or more to sit in the stadium when you can watch it for free on TV.  I know I'm not.

Free TV??

ballz2thewall

the interruption factor with greatest potential impact is the inequities with regard to the players.

that day is coming.

the CTE issue is materializing as well.....
The rest of the frog.

I agree that football is becoming less popular as it pertains to where you spend your money.
TV bundled with internet takes a huge portion of the average family income when you you get 8, maybe 10 channels you want, 75 you hate, and middle of the road internet for $200.00 + monthly.  Many are jumping ship on this ripoff.
Every family member above 8 years old has a cell phone and even family pricing still takes another $200.00+ monthly. 
Moms and Dads both working to afford the GOOD life triples the food budget and doubles the vehicle budget monthly so we can eat filthy crap to drive us to the necessity of mega bucks medical attention earlier and earlier in life. 
If your fingers represented the U S population, the actual middle class has dwindled from being the middle 3 fingers to being just the middle finger so stand that up folks and that is most of us.  Get the picture.
The medical aspects of playing football are now known.  Parents won't let many children play the game.  Thousands of children would rather set on the couch and play video games versus the effort necessary to play football.
The family entertainment budget is moving more toward a true family experience versus Dad and maybe the boys demanding a football game(s).

duckman

November 11, 2017, 09:20:41 am #24 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:02:09 am by duckman
Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 10, 2017, 02:30:49 pm
There will always be corrections in everything. It's cyclical. Disney/ESPN overstepped and are paying for it.

Actually ESPN made the fatal mistake of getting political....  Dumbest move there is, alienate half of your audience.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 10, 2017, 11:25:12 pm
Sometimes it's about changed priorities.  I personally know a couple of guys who used to practically never miss home games. These days they're more interested in fishing out of their $50,000 bass boats or pulling their $15,000 side-by-sides to the woods with their $50,000 trucks. It isn't always a money issue.

Right it's not, it's about winning!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: duckman on November 11, 2017, 09:20:41 am
Actually ESPN made the fatal mistake of getting political....  Dumbest more there is, alienate half of your audience.

Just following the Disney Model.

Hogwild

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 10, 2017, 02:30:49 pm
Re: College football pricing themselves out of business??

I would say no.  If I could make it up to Baton Rouge I could get a ticket for today's game for $10.   Homecoming tickets last week were selling for $2, would expect to pay no more that $5 to either of the remaining home games.

As far as the TV money, the SEC deal is the best deal ESPN has. The billion dollar deal with the NFL for Monday Night Football and one wild card game is killing them. When their deal expires in 2020, don't be surprised if ESPN goes with Monday Night Football SEC edition.  They savings from switch the NFL to SEC on Monday Nights would be over $700 million.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: DemiHOG on November 10, 2017, 02:25:46 pm
Tickets are way too damn high. If you got a family of four and you're an out of towner your just up shits creek.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jvanhorn

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 11:47:52 pm

Well at least at a baseball stadium they give you a seat to sit in.   All you get in football is bench, lol.   How in the hell did they get away with that?

GTOWNHOG

Club seats in the new NEZ at Razorback Stadium will cost either $1,350 or $1,500 per seat per year.  4 seats = $5,400 to $6,000 per year .........for END ZONE seats.   Loge boxes with 4 seats for $14,000 per year, two year minimum......  Get 'em while they are hot.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

ricepig

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on November 11, 2017, 04:39:48 pm
Club seats in the new NEZ at Razorback Stadium will cost either $1,350 or $1,500 per seat per year.  4 seats = $5,400 to $6,000 per year .........for END ZONE seats.   Loge boxes with 4 seats for $14,000 per year, two year minimum......  Get 'em while they are hot.

63 out 70 Loge boxes have commitments, going fast.