Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many basketball scholarships are we allowed?...

Started by ColumbianHog, November 27, 2006, 03:46:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ColumbianHog

...and does anyone know who the walk-ons are on our team?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LunaticRed

Nice to see some B-Ball post Boy-O-Boy they are going to be GOOD

spudhog

Quote from: ColumbianHog on November 27, 2006, 03:46:50 pm
preston cranford is one and i don't know the others. michael washington and cyrus mcgowan don't play hardly at all but they are schoalies

hogfankb

Quote from: spudhog on November 27, 2006, 03:50:55 pm
preston cranford is one and i don't know the others. michael washington and cyrus mcgowan don't play hardly at all but they are schoalies

i think cranford is actually on scholarship as well but only because we didn't have anyone to fill it. It would be taken away if the right player needed it.

ColumbianHog

I know we have two schollies to fill and used one on Rakestraw and plan on using another on a SF...I never can seem to remember his name.  Since Hill and Townes are JRs and we won't be losing anyone (hopefully) after this season it seems that we won't have any experienced centers when Hill and Townes graduate.  Will Michael Washington play center?

Rooka

Quote from: ColumbianHog on November 27, 2006, 03:56:54 pm
I know we have two schollies to fill and used one on Rakestraw and plan on using another on a SF...I never can seem to remember his name.  Since Hill and Townes are JRs and we won't be losing anyone (hopefully) after this season it seems that we won't have any experienced centers when Hill and Townes graduate.  Will Michael Washington play center?
Is Michael Washington redshirting?

spudhog

Quote from: hogfankb on November 27, 2006, 03:52:09 pm
Quote from: spudhog on November 27, 2006, 03:50:55 pm

i think cranford is actually on scholarship as well but only because we didn't have anyone to fill it. It would be taken away if the right player needed it.
thanks for the correction. he might want to get that in writing. might not have it next year.

whatsshakinbacon

They said on TV that we might have 8 seniors on next year's squad.  If that's correct, does this not present a problem regarding the maximum number of players you can sign as incoming freshmen or has this rule been relaxed?

Can't remember.

Bacon out...

hogfankb

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 27, 2006, 03:58:40 pm
They said on TV that we might have 8 seniors on next year's squad.  If that's correct, does this not present a problem regarding the maximum number of players you can sign as incoming freshmen or has this rule been relaxed?

Can't remember.

Bacon out...

I wasn't aware there was such a rule for college bball. But i don't know much about recruiting rules in the first place.

I am a little bit nervous about filling 8 spots with quality players. I don't want us to sign subpar players just because we have the spots to fill. I wouldn't be suprised if we held on to 2 scholarships to try and even this out over the next few years

Adam Stokes

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 27, 2006, 03:58:40 pm

Can't remember.

Bacon out...

The guy on TV was wrong, we will have seven.  I think the walkons we have right now are Andrew Boyd and Colin Hardaway according to

http://www.hogwired.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&KEY=&SPID=2421&SPSID=30749

We only have seven juniors, but that is still far to many.  After the 08' recruiting class we will have to redshirt some dudes.

Rooka

Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on November 27, 2006, 04:01:39 pm
Since we're talking about Washington, why isn't the kid playing?  I know he's behind some but a Top 30 recruit according to Rivals and he can't hit the floor?  Something doesn't seem right.
That is what I am wondering about, Is he redshirting or something? I know he is elgeble to play, I thought he would get some playing time.

hogfankb

Since we're talking about Washington, why isn't the kid playing?  I know he's behind some but a Top 30 recruit according to Rivals and he can't hit the floor?  Something doesn't seem right.

He looked ok in the SEMO game. Made some nice mid range jumpers but still had some rust as far as catching/holding onto the ball. I think as the season goes on he will begin to take Hunters minutes away.

He is still having to learn the sets and plays i'm sure.

Pignominious

I hear that he has got a hurt wrist.  I heard it from a friend who knows a team manager.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

hogfankb

Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on November 27, 2006, 04:07:47 pm
Quote from: hogfankb on November 27, 2006, 04:03:38 pm

He looked ok in the SEMO game. Made some nice mid range jumpers but still had some rust as far as catching/holding onto the ball. I think as the season goes on he will begin to take Hunters minutes away.

He is still having to learn the sets and plays i'm sure.

It will be interesting.  Hunter really doesn't fit the 3,4, or 5 spot but he is always hustling.

plus hunter is a junior so i expect stan to have a much "slower trigger" with him out of loyalty. Hopefully as the year goes on and we knock off some of the early season fumbles and only bring the good parts of his game. Playing hard/rebounding.

RealHogFan

Washington is not redshirting because he has played some, though not at Orlando.  Of course, he was behind the others because of late acceptance by NCAA and SEC.

Hunter amazes me, too, but he does hustle.  And he can come on at the oddest times, like the Tenn. game last year when he was a key in winning that game for us.  That win got us in the Big Dance.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on November 27, 2006, 04:07:48 pm

I hear that he has got a hurt wrist.  I heard it from a friend who knows a team manager.
So if we decide to sit him, can we play the old "wink,wink,nude,nudge" injury redshirt game, or does that only work in FB.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogfankb

Quote from: PorcineSublime on November 27, 2006, 04:22:20 pm

So if we decide to sit him, can we play the old "wink,wink,nude,nudge" injury redshirt game, or does that only work in FB.

Wink, wink, nude, nudge? I don't think the NCAA is gonna like that one bit. I mean they don't even let you take recruits to strip clubs anymore. What is this world coming to when you can't take a recruit to a strip club or give a current player the old "wink, wink, nude, nudge"

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hogfankb on November 27, 2006, 04:24:46 pm

Wink, wink, nude, nudge? I don't think the NCAA is gonna like that one bit. I mean they don't even let you take recruits to strip clubs anymore. What is this world coming to when you can't take a recruit to a strip club or give a current player the old "wink, wink, nude, nudge"

That rule has been renamed the yell, yell, slap, slap in honor of Bobby Knight.

Bacon out...

PorcineSublime

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 27, 2006, 04:36:43 pm
Quote from: hogfankb on November 27, 2006, 04:24:46 pm

That rule has been renamed the yell, yell, slap, slap in honor of Bobby Knight.

Bacon out...
LOL funny right there. You guys are on to my obscure Python references.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.