3 Tenn last year was ther shot 
4 S Car  best of a bad lot
5 Mizz  great off  awful def
6 Vandy just not enough talent to win every week   
7 UK  ho-hum  start 3-0 finish 4-8 5-7 yawn       

WEST
1 Bama 
2 LSU
I had Arkansas 3rd in the west before RW 3  Dec to walk away  good luck  to that great player going foward in life   
3 Auburn  not a fan of auburn  but with their new QB and gus on the hot seat  he pulls something out every year   
4 Arkansas  i had Arkansas as a 8-9 win team  but with the new def and a ? at running back   if the Hogs lose to TCU  in week 2 it couild sit up a 6-6 season   worst case     
5 T A M 
6 Miss St
7 Miss   

overall rank 

tier 1 Bama
Tier 2 LSU  3 UGA   
Tier 3  4 Auburn  5 UF
Tier 4  6 Tennessee  7 Arkansas 
Tier 5   8 TAM  9 S Car 10 Miss st 
Tier 6 11 Mizz  12 Vandy  13 Ole Miss 14 UK
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

LRRandy

Quote from: j-mann on May 08, 2017, 10:32:34 pm
my SEC  football rankings 2017   

EAST

1 UGA   why over FL  better QB   
2 FL  now we see if mcwhaln can build a def   
3 Tenn last year was ther shot 
4 S Car  best of a bad lot
5 Mizz  great off  awful def
6 Vandy just not enough talent to win every week   
7 UK  ho-hum  start 3-0 finish 4-8 5-7 yawn       

WEST
1 Bama 
2 LSU
I had Arkansas 3rd in the west before RW 3  Dec to walk away  good luck  to that great player going foward in life   
3 Auburn  not a fan of auburn  but with their new QB and gus on the hot seat  he pulls something out every year   
4 Arkansas  i had Arkansas as a 8-9 win team  but with the new def and a ? at running back   if the Hogs lose to TCU  in week 2 it couild sit up a 6-6 season   worst case     
5 T A M 
6 Miss St
7 Miss   

overall rank 

tier 1 Bama
Tier 2 LSU  3 UGA   
Tier 3  4 Auburn  5 UF
Tier 4  6 Tennessee  7 Arkansas 
Tier 5   8 TAM  9 S Car 10 Miss st 
Tier 6 11 Mizz  12 Vandy  13 Ole Miss 14 UK
6 tiers in a 14 team conference? Hmmm. aTm might argue being below Arkansas. So might the last 5 years results.
This is fun, isn't it.

Al Boarland

May 09, 2017, 07:24:05 am #2 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:35:35 am by Al Boarland
With the news of Williams I have to drop my prediction of 7/8 wins down to 7.  Not sure where tier that puts us in, but you can't lose a player of that caliber and not feel it even with some guys that have potential waiting in the wings.

hogcard1964

Williams leaving won't matter much.   We're very deep at this position and with Whaley now being the actual feature back, it may help us.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 09, 2017, 07:53:50 am
Williams leaving won't matter much.   We're very deep at this position and with Whaley now being the actual feature back, it may help us.
that's not a very accurate statement. You don't lose the returning leading rusher in the sec and not feel it. I would say Arkansas, with Alex Collins, was better prepared to handle the loss of Jonathin Williams when he went down. That loss was greatly felt. There is little proven depth on this current team. The loss of RWIII matters. Much.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogcard1964

I don't think we'll miss a beat offensively.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 09, 2017, 08:25:43 am
I don't think we'll miss a beat offensively.

It certainly missed some beats last season.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 09, 2017, 09:20:47 am
It certainly missed some beats last season.

That's because due to the amount of youth and inexperience in the OLine, it never really got on track. That won't be the case this season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Poker_hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 09, 2017, 07:53:50 am

I don't think there's any drop off between rw3 and dw.  But I think there is probably a big drop off between whoever is now the backup and dw.  One good Rb is not enough in the sec.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 09, 2017, 10:45:29 am
Let's see. 
Whaley:   averaged 6 ypc last season
Williams:  4 star RB who combines speed and power
Hayden:  #4 all purpose back in the country

I wouldn't be too worried about the RB position at UA.  What a stable of hosses!

Talent no doubt.  But what about Pass Pro?  3rd and 1s?  When to cut back?  When to be patient?  Those are all issues of concern- even for Whaley (less so than the freshmen).

IMABIELEMA

Arkansas/Auburn for the west.  UF/UT for the east IMO.  Alabama will take a step back this year.  West will be tough.

Al Boarland

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on May 09, 2017, 11:26:56 am
Arkansas/Auburn for the west.  UF/UT for the east IMO.  Alabama will take a step back this year.  West will be tough.
This goes against every credible prognostication. I don't see it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on May 09, 2017, 10:14:33 am
That's because due to the amount of youth and inexperience in the OLine, it never really got on track. That won't be the case this season.

It won't? They will be facing some pretty disruptive defensive lines. Jury is still out on Anderson and the OL. We should see a step forward just because of experience, but I don't see a leap forward.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 09, 2017, 12:45:41 pm
This goes against every credible prognostication. I don't see it.
Football is all about the QB and Auburn/Arkansas have the best in the conference.

Al Boarland

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on May 09, 2017, 01:08:45 pm
Football is all about the QB and Auburn/Arkansas have the best in the conference.

It's not ALL about QB or everyone would be picking the Hogs as a contender.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 09, 2017, 01:16:45 pm
It's not ALL about QB or everyone would be picking the Hogs as a contender.
Great point, but I tend to be a homer so...

LRRandy

Quote from: GuvHog on May 09, 2017, 10:14:33 am
this is the narrative that was used before last season about all of the starters returning on defense. How did that work out? Just because a player returns and has experience doesn't mean they will be better.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on May 09, 2017, 11:26:56 am

No, but I believe Auburn and LSU will push Bama this season.