Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steph Curry

Started by RazorPiggie, June 29, 2017, 08:14:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2017, 09:59:26 am
Can't, he and Goose have to save us from the Ruskies.

And Val Kilmer.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jim Harris on June 30, 2017, 10:14:32 am
Perry Maxwell redesigned hole No. 14. How can you of all people say it is a blah hole? ;)

Maxwell didn't work on the 14th hole at ANGC.

The following is the work Perry Maxwell did at Augusta National over a 2 year period in 1937 and 1938.  Maxwell did alterations to ten holes (alteration of 7 different greens and bunkering alteration of 3 other holes).

1937   On the 3rd hole, Maxwell removed the front tongue of the green and he reshaped the bunkers.  He shaved some of the front-right putting surface and, perhaps, there was some reduction in overall contour. 

1938   On the 4th hole, Maxwell rebuilt the green diminishing its pitch and turning it more towards the 90-degree, L-shaped configuration of the present.  He flattened the green, he widened the tongue, and he and pushed both bunkers closer to the collar.

1937   On the 6th hole, Maxwell reconstructed the green, which removed the mound, left much of the Redan-like left-side contour intact, and added a prominent right-side shelf.

1937   On the 7th hole, Maxwell reshaped portions of the green.  In 1938, Maxwell built a new green on a rise behind the original green site.  Maxwell put in 3 bunkers in front of the new green he built.

1938   On the 9th hole, Maxwell totally redesigned the green.  Maxwell's initial 1938 redesigned green featured four left greenside bunkers, but only 2 of Maxwell's 9th green leftside bunkers have survived.  In 1938, Maxwell added back a portion of a tongue that had existed on the front right on MacKenzie's original version of the green.

1937   On the 10th hole, Maxwell built a new green atop a hill beyond and to the left of the original green.  After the 1938 Masters, Clifford Roberts wrote Maxwell that "Ten is now a grand golf hole....I know Bob is particularly pleased."

1938   On the 18th hole, Maxwell eliminated the long front tongue on the green after the 1937 Masters.  He also altered the green to be a three tier green with the bottom tier extending down between the bunkering but not quite to the extent of MacKenzie's original putting surface.  The Augusta National Golf Club changed Maxwell's 18th green after the 1946 Masters in which Ben Hogan 3 putted the green.  Robert Trent Jones recontoured the green in the summer of 1946.

According to Chris Clouser, who is an expert on Maxwell (Clouser has written a book about him), Maxwell also altered the bunkering on the 1st Hole, the 5th Hole, and the 17th Hole.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Jim Harris on June 30, 2017, 10:14:32 am
Perry Maxwell redesigned hole No. 14. How can you of all people say it is a blah hole? ;)

You just had to go and do it, didn't you?     ::)

Iwastherein1969

Seems like I heard this same BS about 20 years ago about Michael Jordan and how he was going to attempt to get his tour card upon retiring from hoops. The same old crowd gushing with man-love for Jordan stated that with "Michael's hand-eye coordination, athletic ability and his competitiveness he would have a good shot at making the PGA tour".  And how did that go ?  Hell, Jordan couldn't even intimidate Ian Poulter into missing putts at the Ryder Cup because Mikey tried. And now, once again, there are "prisoners of the moment" who actually believe Steph Curry could play golf for a living. Please, just stop this ISH ! Absolutely no way. It's as absurd as saying Dustin Johnson (who is a very good athlete) could make an NBA roster. NO to both of these situations.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hawgon

Curry might could if he had worked at it his entire life, but obviously, he never could now.  But I haven't seen anyone portraying this as anything other than a publicity stunt to raise more money for charity.  This is way different than when Jerry Rice thought he could actually play out there.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hawgon on July 26, 2017, 09:59:08 am
Curry might could if he had worked at it his entire life, but obviously, he never could now.  But I haven't seen anyone portraying this as anything other than a publicity stunt to raise more money for charity.  This is way different than when Jerry Rice thought he could actually play out there.
People who know nothing about golf think that its an easy game. It is not. You cannot just pick up a club and declare, "I WILL BE A PLAYER ON THE PGA". Tony Romo plays to a 1 handicap at his club in Dallas but has tried for years to get past the first round of sectional qualifying for the U.S. Open and has never broken 80. People unfamiliar with playing golf at a very competitive level automatically assume they can take that 72 they shot one day on their home course from the 'Whites' on the road against college players and others who are young, strong and have been playing since they were 8. That's a bumpy ride.

hawgon

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 27, 2017, 10:31:23 pm
People who know nothing about golf think that its an easy game. It is not. You cannot just pick up a club and declare, "I WILL BE A PLAYER ON THE PGA". Tony Romo plays to a 1 handicap at his club in Dallas but has tried for years to get past the first round of sectional qualifying for the U.S. Open and has never broken 80. People unfamiliar with playing golf at a very competitive level automatically assume they can take that 72 they shot one day on their home course from the 'Whites' on the road against college players and others who are young, strong and have been playing since they were 8. That's a bumpy ride.

Who has said that here?  No one, not even Curry.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hawgon on July 28, 2017, 08:08:34 am
Who has said that here?  No one, not even Curry.
My response wasn't aimed at any specific person in general but idiots out there who actually believe Curry could play golf at any professional level. You never hear of a PGA player which the media says could play in the NBA, why ? I think we all know why.

hawgon

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 29, 2017, 02:08:50 am
My response wasn't aimed at any specific person in general but idiots out there who actually believe Curry could play golf at any professional level. You never hear of a PGA player which the media says could play in the NBA, why ? I think we all know why.

You might be right but it isn't quite as easy to say that about someone like Curry as it is your average person.  With your average guy you can always say that if they were good enough, they would be doing it.  But with an athlete that talented, he might choose basketball over golf even if he was good enough to play on the PGA.  There ARE some people who have been talented enough to play different sports at the highest levels and there have been even more who clearly could have if they chose to.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hawgon on July 29, 2017, 10:58:33 am
You might be right but it isn't quite as easy to say that about someone like Curry as it is your average person.  With your average guy you can always say that if they were good enough, they would be doing it.  But with an athlete that talented, he might choose basketball over golf even if he was good enough to play on the PGA.  There ARE some people who have been talented enough to play different sports at the highest levels and there have been even more who clearly could have if they chose to.
Golf is not a game where you can just pick up a club in your mid 20's (especially these days) and declare that you are going to play golf for a living. Golf, unlike team sports is played by one person and one person alone. YOU. Can't pass it to Kevin Durant when you hit the ball out of bounds. To play golf at it's highest level, you must have a special type of personality plus have hand-eye coordination out of this world. Golf is likely the second most difficult thing to do in sports, the first being, attempting to hit a breaking ball off of a major league pitcher.

hawgon

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 29, 2017, 11:42:40 am
Golf is not a game where you can just pick up a club in your mid 20's (especially these days) and declare that you are going to play golf for a living. Golf, unlike team sports is played by one person and one person alone. YOU. Can't pass it to Kevin Durant when you hit the ball out of bounds. To play golf at it's highest level, you must have a special type of personality plus have hand-eye coordination out of this world. Golf is likely the second most difficult thing to do in sports, the first being, attempting to hit a breaking ball off of a major league pitcher.

Well, of course.  But if Curry had played golf from the time he was seven as seriously as he has played basketball?  I'm betting he would have more talent than the average bear.

Oh, and there is one guy out there 10 wins on the PGA tour (41 professional) and 2 majors who didn't pick up a club until he was 21.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hawgon on July 29, 2017, 11:47:55 am
Well, of course.  But if Curry had played golf from the time he was seven as seriously as he has played basketball?  I'm betting he would have more talent than the average bear.

Oh, and there is one guy out there 10 wins on the PGA tour (41 professional) and 2 majors who didn't pick up a club until he was 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM      Dustin Johnson is 6'6" and can slam dunk a basketball anyway you please, would you also say that Johnson has a shot at the NBA as Curry has a shot at the  PGA Tour ?  I think I know the real answer to this one, but go ahead and spin it.
"

hawgon

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 31, 2017, 02:47:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM      Dustin Johnson is 6'6" and can slam dunk a basketball anyway you please, would you also say that Johnson has a shot at the NBA as Curry has a shot at the  PGA Tour ?  I think I know the real answer to this one, but go ahead and spin it.
"

I would say that it is impossible to know, as I say with Curry.  But I say that Johnson has the physical tools to have played basketball at a high level had he chosen to make that his sport at a young age.

And like I said there is a two time major winner who didn't pick up a club until he was 21.  Excuse me, make that three majors.

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 29, 2017, 11:42:40 am

Some of your superstar athletes, like Curry, have the mental capacity that if they'd have picked up golf at an early age then maybe they could have made a career out of it. There's some NFL QB's you could put on the list.

Now could they go out now and try to make a career of it? Highly unlikely. However, if that had been their chosen sport from an early age, it isn't unreasonable to think that they would have succeeded at it. I don't think they would have been held back because they didn't have the mental makeup. To get where they are, they obviously have a strong drive to be excellent. You don't get Curry's shooting ability all naturally. There's a ton of work to perfect that stroke. Had he applied that same drive to putting and a golf swing, there's an above average chance that he could have made it given his natural athletic abilities and hand eye coordination.

PGA golfers aren't the only people in the world that could have been golfers. There's a lot of athletes in other sports that could have succeeded on the PGA tour had they wanted to go that route. It's crazy to think that other guys, who are at the top of their sport, wouldn't have had the drive to be able to succeed at another sport.

hawgon

John Brodie also comes to mind.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: clutch on July 31, 2017, 07:58:16 am
Some of your superstar athletes, like Curry, have the mental capacity that if they'd have picked up golf at an early age then maybe they could have made a career out of it. There's some NFL QB's you could put on the list.

Now could they go out now and try to make a career of it? Highly unlikely. However, if that had been their chosen sport from an early age, it isn't unreasonable to think that they would have succeeded at it. I don't think they would have been held back because they didn't have the mental makeup. To get where they are, they obviously have a strong drive to be excellent. You don't get Curry's shooting ability all naturally. There's a ton of work to perfect that stroke. Had he applied that same drive to putting and a golf swing, there's an above average chance that he could have made it given his natural athletic abilities and hand eye coordination.

PGA golfers aren't the only people in the world that could have been golfers. There's a lot of athletes in other sports that could have succeeded on the PGA tour had they wanted to go that route. It's crazy to think that other guys, who are at the top of their sport, wouldn't have had the drive to be able to succeed at another sport.
again, and I remain steadfast on this, hitting a golf ball is the hardest thing to learn in sports besides hitting a curve ball off of a major league pitcher....there are millions of people who can hit one shot out of 10 like a pro, fewer who can hit two shots out of 10 like a pro, much fewer who can hit 3 shots out of 10 like a golf pro no matter how much they practice...I think you, like most people see a sport dominated by mostly caucasian people and think, "well if whitey can do it, it can't be that difficult"...if that's so, after the great Tiger Woods played the greatest 10 years ever on the PGA tour, where is that flood of minorities that was supposed to take over and dominate the PGA tour...hasn't happened and won't happen for many a decade (and I don't want to hear about how minorities don't have access to playing golf as the First Tee and many other play for free options have been given to urban youth).....funny how there's no money drive or commercials to help kids from Appalachia to learn the game of golf for free

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 31, 2017, 11:55:07 am
again, and I remain steadfast on this, hitting a golf ball is the hardest thing to learn in sports besides hitting a curve ball off of a major league pitcher....there are millions of people who can hit one shot out of 10 like a pro, fewer who can hit two shots out of 10 like a pro, much fewer who can hit 3 shots out of 10 like a golf pro no matter how much they practice...I think you, like most people see a sport dominated by mostly caucasian people and think, "well if whitey can do it, it can't be that difficult"...if that's so, after the great Tiger Woods played the greatest 10 years ever on the PGA tour, where is that flood of minorities that was supposed to take over and dominate the PGA tour...hasn't happened and won't happen for many a decade (and I don't want to hear about how minorities don't have access to playing golf as the First Tee and many other play for free options have been given to urban youth).....funny how there's no money drive or commercials to help kids from Appalachia to learn the game of golf for free

I agree that it's the hardest to learn. I don't think you are getting the point though. What we are saying is that IF these guys applied themselves and tried to learn to hit a golf ball the same way they apply themselves to learn their craft, they have a better chance than your average human of being able to accomplish that goal. I'm not disagreeing that they need to start at an early age. All I'm trying to say is that Curry had the drive, and more than likely, the ability to succeed at golf if would have wanted to. Sure hitting a golf ball square every time is harder than shooting a basketball, but he hasn't just learned to shoot a basketball, he's learned to be better at it than anyone in the history of the game. He's done that through a ton of work. You can't convince me that if he would have put the same work into golf his whole life he wouldn't of had the chance to be successful.

I'm not saying he would have been the next Tiger Woods, but he had a better chance than a lot to succeed, because he has the makeup of a professional athlete. He's got the drive and work ethic to make it happen.

hawgon

So, he shot a 74 today.  That is pretty darned good for a basketball player.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on August 03, 2017, 08:15:16 pm
So, he shot a 74 today.  That is pretty darned good for a basketball player.

That's salty for your first ever round from within the professional ropes

Boarcephus

Quote from: clutch on July 31, 2017, 12:37:18 pm
I agree that it's the hardest to learn. I don't think you are getting the point though. What we are saying is that IF these guys applied themselves and tried to learn to hit a golf ball the same way they apply themselves to learn their craft, they have a better chance than your average human of being able to accomplish that goal. I'm not disagreeing that they need to start at an early age. All I'm trying to say is that Curry had the drive, and more than likely, the ability to succeed at golf if would have wanted to. Sure hitting a golf ball square every time is harder than shooting a basketball, but he hasn't just learned to shoot a basketball, he's learned to be better at it than anyone in the history of the game. He's done that through a ton of work. You can't convince me that if he would have put the same work into golf his whole life he wouldn't of had the chance to be successful.

I'm not saying he would have been the next Tiger Woods, but he had a better chance than a lot to succeed, because he has the makeup of a professional athlete. He's got the drive and work ethic to make it happen.

Good points.  I find myself somewhat agreeing with one of the talking heads who said BB is more reaction to what's happening around you than actually having to think about the situation, which golf requires.  That 6 inch course between the ears can be tough.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

clutch

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 04, 2017, 08:54:43 am
Good points.  I find myself somewhat agreeing with one of the talking heads who said BB is more reaction to what's happening around you than actually having to think about the situation, which golf requires.  That 6 inch course between the ears can be tough.   

Definitely. That's usually what separates good players from great players though. The focus the great players have is unbelievable.

Jackrabbit Hog

Shot another 74 in the second round.  Bogeyed the last hole or he would have beaten his score from the day before.  As it is, he finished +8 and he did beat five pros who were playing for money.  I would say he definitely did not embarrass himself, and if he boosted attendance for the tournament, that makes the exemption a wise decision.

cosmodrum

Gotta be honest, I didnt think he'd break 80. Good for him. He can clearly advance the ball.
Go away, batin'

Iwastherein1969

I have no problem with Curry playing. But there's some pro out there who got cut from the tournament for a publicity stunt. Ask his kids if it's okay that Daddy didn't get a shot at making 5,000 dollars this week because some guy making tens of millions a year got their father's spot in the tournament. What they should have done is let Curry play and add the player who would have made the tournament to the field also. That way, all is well. "Well kids, looks like it's tuna sandwiches every day this week. Some guy in the NBA who will be munching on 'surf n turf' and sipping champagne this week took my spot."

ad: by the way, this golf course was almost a carbon copy to the course they play on the NBC Celebrity Golf Tournament (played about a month ago) and the par was 70. So shooting 74 twice is still okay, but almost always +8 for the tournament almost always is 76-76. Still respectable, but somehow I figure the guy left out for Curry at least had a shot at a check, which his family has to need. Oh, for those of you 'lubing up' to "spank Stephen's hank" for shooting +8 for two days, remember he missed the cut by 11 shots.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2017, 09:54:16 pm
Shot another 74 in the second round.  Bogeyed the last hole or he would have beaten his score from the day before.  As it is, he finished +8 and he did beat five pros who were playing for money.  I would say he definitely did not embarrass himself, and if he boosted attendance for the tournament, that makes the exemption a wise decision.

He did better than I thought he would and I don't have a problem with the exemption because tournaments at this level are doing most anything to draw spectators.  Good move on their part. 

Curry signed a 5 year, $200 million contract so the only pressure he was playing under was not to embarrass himself which is worlds apart from playing to earn a check and support a family or trying to keep what sponsors these guys at this level have happy enough for them to keep pouring money into your account while you chase your dream.  Every single stroke for these guys is huge and that has to wear on them from the mental standpoint.   I remember the flak Woods took when he came out and immediately signed $60 million worth of contracts with Nike and Rolex.  There were a number of pros that were pissed because he was financially set and had never hit a shot and wasn't playing under the same pressure they were.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 05, 2017, 04:47:51 am
I have no problem with Curry playing. But there's some pro out there who got cut from the tournament for a publicity stunt. Ask his kids if it's okay that Daddy didn't get a shot at making 5,000 dollars this week because some guy making tens of millions a year got their father's spot in the tournament. What they should have done is let Curry play and add the player who would have made the tournament to the field also. That way, all is well. "Well kids, looks like it's tuna sandwiches every day this week. Some guy in the NBA who will be munching on 'surf n turf' and sipping champagne this week took my spot."

ad: by the way, this golf course was almost a carbon copy to the course they play on the NBC Celebrity Golf Tournament (played about a month ago) and the par was 70. So shooting 74 twice is still okay, but almost always +8 for the tournament almost always is 76-76. Still respectable, but somehow I figure the guy left out for Curry at least had a shot at a check, which his family has to need. Oh, for those of you 'lubing up' to "spank Stephen's hank" for shooting +8 for two days, remember he missed the cut by 11 shots.

Yeah.  Another guy getting a sponsor invite would've made 5000.

If the pro that didn't get the sponsor invite wants to help his kids he either needs to get better, so that he's not relying on sponsor invites to pay the bills, or go get a different job.

hawgon

If Curry didn't finish dead last, then some hypothetical pro denied an exemption doesn't really have much argument.  He should make the argument that he was more entitled to be in the tournament than the five or six pros who finished worse than Curry.

ricepig

Quote from: Dillar Dog on August 05, 2017, 08:08:00 am
Yeah.  Another guy getting a sponsor invite would've made 5000.

If the pro that didn't get the sponsor invite wants to help his kids he either needs to get better, so that he's not relying on sponsor invites to pay the bills, or go get a different job.

Sponsor's exemptions get $5000 for showing up? Looks like McNealy should be the one people gripe about getting a sponsor's exemption, +21........

Iwastherein1969

you jakov's apparently cannot comprehend....I said the player would have a chance to make a check....I'd love to see one of you frickers get booted out of your job for a week so some side-show stunt can be played by a guy who takes your job for a week....read the post in full next time before you go spouting off your mouths....I said a "chance to make 5k"...hell, who knows, the SOB may have won the tournament, wasn't John Daly the 9th alternate in the 1991 PGA ?  well, with the logic you three guys apply, at that time maybe Michael Jordan could have taken John's spot in the tournament....sure would have been good publicity when Mikey fired a couple of 88's at Crooked Stick

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 06, 2017, 06:43:15 am
you jakov's apparently cannot comprehend....I said the player would have a chance to make a check....I'd love to see one of you frickers get booted out of your job for a week so some side-show stunt can be played by a guy who takes your job for a week....read the post in full next time before you go spouting off your mouths....I said a "chance to make 5k"...hell, who knows, the SOB may have won the tournament, wasn't John Daly the 9th alternate in the 1991 PGA ?  well, with the logic you three guys apply, at that time maybe Michael Jordan could have taken John's spot in the tournament....sure would have been good publicity when Mikey fired a couple of 88's at Crooked Stick

Life ain't fair. Want to play in the tournament? Don't rely on an exemption. Can't feed your family if you don't get exemption? Find a real job.

This is a business. The number one priority is to attract as many paying customers as they can to their product. Curry brings in a helluva lot more people than the non-qualifier on the Web.com tour.

Dillar Dog

Guys who are looking for sponsor invites aren't getting booted out of their jobs. 

Daly was an alternate, not a guy begging to be given a spot because he can't get in on his playing ability.  And they don't have sponsor exemptions in the pga.  Awful comparison.

ricepig

Quote from: Dillar Dog on August 06, 2017, 09:06:08 am
Guys who are looking for sponsor invites aren't getting booted out of their jobs. 

Daly was an alternate, not a guy begging to be given a spot because he can't get in on his playing ability.  And they don't have sponsor exemptions in the pga.  Awful comparison.

Wrong on the sponsor's exemptions.

http://www.register-herald.com/sports/the-greenbrier-classic-grants-six-exemptions-for-field/article_76cc0b92-c992-5a67-a22b-cfa76503587d.html

Dillar Dog

Everyone knows that.  I was talking about the actual pga.

They can, and have, invited players to the tournament, but it's not really the type of hack that 69 is describing.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 05, 2017, 04:47:51 am

What a ridiculous thought and not to mention even more ridiculous attempt to support such thought. 

Any given weekend there is probably 2500 spots around the world to play golf for aliving and get you a check.  Curry's taking a spot at a local professional golf tournament actually did much more then affect a guy trying to make a living.  His contribution of attending, raising awareness for the charity event, and the turn out to see him play most likely helped many more people than you guy trying to be a pro and the possibility of him having a kid to fund. 

You obviously have an agenda to push and it hurts you that either one an NBA player could play or maybe it's the fact he's not your typical white guy that is playing. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 30, 2017, 08:32:13 am
The amateur could more than likely break 80 on that course?

Curry also did...

onebadrubi

What a tool... Why don't you tell us what about this situation really is angering you?  It OBVIOUSLY isn't the fact a bay area golf tournament invited the most popular sports figure to compete in their tournament who shot a very respectable score.  Your level of anger screams agenda and I bet I've already mentioned your actual reason for anger. Quite sad really. You'd rather a semi pro golfer miss a cut then raise thousands and thousands for a charity.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 06, 2017, 01:32:35 pm
Curry also did...

Sure did.  He's a hell of a putter.  If he can get better off the tee and hitting greens he could probably make the cut next year.