Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A closer look at the offensive line vs. A&M

Started by Fayettechill14, September 27, 2017, 03:41:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2017/9/26/16365246/a-closer-look-at-arkansas-offensive-line

Why Ty Clary got pulled, and how the three different line combos performed vs. the Aggies. Expect to see the coaches continue to mix it up in-game unless someone really steps up and wins the job.

jst01

Good analysis.  My conclusion is we have O lineman that lack quickness, agility and overall skill.

Been10Hog

My friend's son is on the O -Line. I asked him what the deal was with Wallace and Merrick being rated so high and sitting the bench. He told me flat out that his son said they suck! Stars don't put on shoulder pads on Saturday

FutureMan

It's good to hear from you, Fayettechill.  I have always enjoyed your posts and I was afraid you left Hogville long ago.  Thanks for the link and keep up the good work.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

twistitup

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 27, 2017, 03:52:54 pm
My friend's son is on the O -Line. I asked him what the deal was with Wallace and Merrick being rated so high and sitting the bench. He told me flat out that his son said they suck! Stars don't put on shoulder pads on Saturday

I don't know if it's that simple...but ok
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

BigK_HogHeaven

Seems to me we should just change the lineup every single possession!

In all seriousness, I'm glad that Ramirez is good at something.  I was at the game on Saturday and couldn't tell that he was a good run blocker.  I did see the multiple sacks/pressures that he allowed, though!

Very frustrating that in year 5 Bielema doesn't have lineman that are worth anything.  For him to pride himself in the trenches is very disheartening. 

Piggfoot

The film clearly shows A&M's defensive ends #40 Johnson, 6-3, 265 and #46 Durham, 6-3,255, outquicked our Tackles all day. Our Tackles 6-6, 300 and 315 can not keep up with opponents defensive ends period. They may be ok for a jumbo package but for base plays we need more agile players and they don't have to be 300 monsters.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Been10Hog

Quote from: twistitup on September 27, 2017, 04:09:21 pm
I don't know if it's that simple...but ok
It's as simple as a player on this Arkansas Razorback offensive line says that 2 players who are worshipped by Hogville for being 4 star recruits are not very good. They are not playing because they are not as good as advertised, not because BB has a thing for underachievers. not every recruiting victory turns out to be a homerun! Check it.....

IronHog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on September 27, 2017, 05:37:37 pm
Curious if FANONTHEHILL echoes the remark about certain lineman......they suck.   Or maybe, their not very very good.

Wallace is better than what they've been trotting out there... 

The one kids # is high because Gibson was a guard....he needs to play there and they need to ride that A gap
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PygmalionEffect2

Good analysis.  Left me feeling less optimistic about Ramirez.  I don't think it was his fault on the rollout though.  That was just weird execution.  AA is running towards the rushers helping them close 7 yards on him.  AA basically sacked himself.

Missed one big play on Clary.  Before end of the 1st half, CBB did try another short pass on 3rd down but Clary was blown up on that one as well, so it went incomplete and ended our chances of a late FG.  That made at least two plays where Clary got ran over.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

IronHog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 27, 2017, 05:58:40 pm
Good analysis.  Left me feeling less optimistic about Ramirez.  I don't think it was his fault on the rollout though.  That was just weird execution.  AA is running towards the rushers helping them close 7 yards on him.  AA basically sacked himself.

Missed one big play on Clary.  Before end of the 1st half, CBB did try another short pass on 3rd down but Clary was blown up on that one as well, so it went incomplete and ended our chances of a late FG.  That made at least two plays where Clary got ran over.

AA isn't doing much better than the OL dealing with the rush.....

MuskogeeHogFan

September 27, 2017, 06:10:48 pm #11 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:35:16 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
I said before this game that while things hadn't looked great, this game would give us more information and it did.

On a "mano-a-mano" basis, while our O-Line blocked well enough to have won this game, there were certainly times that A&M brought pressure with just 4 down linemen and they were frankly, just quicker and stronger than our O-Line. At times we just got a good, old fashioned, butt whippin.

There were also well designed stunts that took advantage of the inexperience of some of our O-Linemen that got them looking one way and a step or two out of position to be able to react to the backside of the stunt in pass pro. As sad as it is to say, our O-Linemen on the outside just looked a lot less mobile than they should have been, getting their feet entrenched in concrete, reaching with their arms to try to block and not moving their lower body to keep leverage on the rushers.

But, AA didn't help much because on at least half the sacks that he took (and some of the pressures), he had a chance to get rid of the ball before the sack or the pressure occurred. That's not trying to displace blame from the O-Line, it is just the truth. You can't just stand there waiting for someone to break free when you know that the clock in your head has been ticking too long already. Get rid of the ball, don't take the hit and live to fight on another play. And keep your emotions locked up inside. Of course, there is blame to go around on the Receivers as well for not getting open earlier and when they saw their QB in trouble, not peeling back to him to present an easier target. That part is just a rookie mistake as a Receiver.

My biggest concern is how we just got physically overwhelmed a times in pass protection. You've got to be able to hold your ground better and not give ground so quickly, even with different stunts and schemed rushes. My greatest question is, why is this still such a problem for an O-Line Coach who came from the NFL where they typically pass more than we do. That really should be his strong suit, not his weakness.

That's just my two cents.
Go Hogs Go!

Silver Hog

So basically, Bert can't recruit.  And folks here bash Bobby for the very same thing.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 06:10:48 pm

My biggest concern is how we just got physically overwhelmed a times in pass protection. You've got to be able to hold your ground better and not give ground so quickly, even with different stunts and schemed rushes. My greatest question is, why is this still such a problem for an O-Line Coach who came from the NFL where they typically pass more than we do. That really should be his strong suit, not his weakness.

I've said several times that our O-line and D-line get blown off the ball all the time. They just don't have explosive strength. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

IronHog

Quote from: HenduHog on September 27, 2017, 06:22:12 pm
I've said several times that our O-line and D-line get blown off the ball all the time. They just don't have explosive strength. 

Their S&C is trash

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on September 27, 2017, 06:29:34 pm

Their S&C is trash

I don't know about that. I doubt that any of us do. But I do know that if your footwork is more agile you stand a better chance against strong, quick rushing D-Linemen. Get your feet stuck in one place in pass pro and you are screwed. It makes you look weaker than you are in truth.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

Ragnow to tackle is the only solution to this problem.  We seem to have plenty of good inside lineman.  Your best lineman should be playing left tackle.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

bulldog04

Quote from: IronHog on September 27, 2017, 05:47:37 pm

Wallace is better than what they've been trotting out there... 

The one kids # is high because Gibson was a guard....he needs to play there and they need to ride that A gap
I went back and watched the Bama game last year and watched Wallace. He was not our worse lineman in that game and held his own against the best

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 27, 2017, 06:41:37 pm
Ragnow to tackle is the only solution to this problem.  We seem to have plenty of good inside lineman.  Your best lineman should be playing left tackle.

That isn't likely at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 06:45:26 pm
That isn't likely at this point.

You're probably right.  To the coaching staffs credit it's probably better for ragnow's NFL future to stay at center.

WaltonCollege

Not likely but maybe not an bad idea, we need a shake up and bad, throw out the hodge podge crap just find me 5 bulldozers and let's run the ball all day like bielemas first couple years here, our backs are better than our WRs. Just give me some grinders up front and a couple play actions and we will manage, watching us in pass pro Saturday was like watching Ramay Jr highs 7th grade B team

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WaltonCollege on September 27, 2017, 07:24:18 pm
Not likely but maybe not an bad idea, we need a shake up and bad, throw out the hodge podge crap just find me 5 bulldozers and let's run the ball all day like bielemas first couple years here, our backs are better than our WRs. Just give me some grinders up front and a couple play actions and we will manage, watching us in pass pro Saturday was like watching Ramay Jr highs 7th grade B team

We need Ragnow at Center. He's the glue and calls the run and pass blocks. I'm sure he would excel at LT just as he does at Center, but moving him away from the Center of the OL might be a mistake for the entire OL and make it weaker as a whole at the expense of having a stronger LT. The time to make that change would have been after last season.
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

Poker_hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 07:30:22 pm
We need Ragnow at Center. He's the glue and calls the run and pass blocks. I'm sure he would excel at LT just as he does at Center, but moving him away from the Center of the OL might be a mistake for the entire OL and make it weaker as a whole at the expense of having a stronger LT. The time to make that change would have been after last season.

Zack Rodgers has been in the program long enough to know all the calls.  I'm sure he is capable.  I have more confidence in him than I do either of starting tackles.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 06:10:48 pm
I said before this game that while things hadn't looked great, this game would give us more information and it did.

On a "mano-a-mano" basis, while our O-Line blocked well enough to have won this game, there were certainly times that A&M brought pressure with just 4 down linemen and they were frankly, just quicker and stronger than our O-Line. At times we just got a good, old fashioned, butt whippin.

There were also well designed stunts that took advantage of the inexperience of some of our O-Linemen that got them looking one way and a step or two out of position to be able to react to the backside of the stunt in pass pro. As sad as it is to say, our O-Linemen on the outside just looked a lot less mobile than they should have been, getting their feet entrenched in concrete, reaching with their arms to try to block and not moving their lower body to keep leverage on the rushers.

But, AA didn't help much because on at least half the sacks that he took (and some of the pressures), he had a chance to get rid of the ball before the sack or the pressure occurred. That's not trying to displace blame from the O-Line, it is just the truth. You can't just stand there waiting for someone to break free when you know that the clock in your head has been ticking too long already. Get rid of the ball, don't take the hit and live to fight on another play. And keep your emotions locked up inside. Of course, there is blame to go around on the Receivers as well for not getting open earlier and when they saw their QB in trouble, not peeling back to him to present an easier target. That part is just a rookie mistake as a Receiver.

despite our successes we never really had the game, and that feeling was palpable.

i highlighted your comments above because they reveal the reason. if we weren't whiffing, our guys were literally walking backwards. the pack came to allen so quickly, and it happened enough to make the game terribly sloppy in effect. someone would pull off a nice gain, then THAT crap would ensue.

i understand agility and getting beat around the edges by someone faster. but what is puzzling is how our line gets shoved backwards, routinely.

i don't get it... 
The rest of the frog.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Ive been told very differently by a player. I was told that wallace was one of our most talented linemen physically but has difficulty with the mental part of the game
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgmasta

Always liked your breakdowns man keep em coming.

lakecityhog

Been10, it's not that anyone "worships" any player, but theatrics makes everything sound much more dramatic.

I think it is more that people are concerned that our O'Line is on track to give up 44 sacks this season and a guy that started 10 games last year cannot see the field while we try 5 different line combinations!

This player that says these kids suck, is he a starter, a second teamer or a walkon? Is he a first year guy or a 5th year guy? Cause if he isn't a starter does that mean that he also sucks? I mean how bad must everyone other than the 4 starters be if a true freshman beats them all out?

TebowHater

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 27, 2017, 07:35:26 pm
Zack Rodgers has been in the program long enough to know all the calls.  I'm sure he is capable.  I have more confidence in him than I do either of starting tackles.

100% agree with this. Really the only reason not to make this change is Ragnow's future, which for all he has given us and been through, I am totally ok with.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 27, 2017, 07:46:00 pm
Ive been told very differently by a player. I was told that wallace was one of our most talented linemen physically but has difficulty with the mental part of the game

"sucking" would cover that if the mental breakdown manifests in an a manner unflattering to the qb.
The rest of the frog.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 27, 2017, 07:44:13 pm
despite our successes we never really had the game, and that feeling was palpable.

i highlighted your comments above because they reveal the reason. if we weren't whiffing, our guys were literally walking backwards. the pack came to allen so quickly, and it happened enough to make the game terribly sloppy in effect. someone would pull off a nice gain, then THAT crap would ensue.

i understand agility and getting beat around the edges by someone faster. but what is puzzling is how our line gets shoved backwards, routinely.

i don't get it... 

You have to have quicker feet to re-position and re-adjust to the rush as it ebbs and flows. Get stuck in one spot just trying to out-strength your opponent and you'll get beat and pushed back. Foot movement, agility/quickness of feet really helps an O-Lineman to maintain leverage and not have to engage in a battle of strength on strength. Maintained leverage is key. On one of Clary's miscues (rookie mistake well scouted by A&M) the DT came more at him at first, naturally getting most of this attention, then shifted back towards Ragnow, hoping to not only engage Ragnow but continue to keep Clary's interest. This produced a wider gap between the OG and OT that enabled a delayed stunt by the LB to come pretty well clean past Clary.
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 07:59:40 pm
You have to have quicker feet to re-position and re-adjust to the rush as it ebbs and flows. Get stuck in one spot just trying to out-strength your opponent and you'll get beat and pushed back. Foot movement, agility/quickness of feet really helps an O-Lineman to maintain leverage and not have to engage in a battle of strength on strength. Maintained leverage is key. On one of Clary's miscues (rookie mistake well scouted by A&M) the DT came more at him at first, naturally getting most of this attention, then shifted back towards Ragnow, hoping to not only engage Ragnow but continue to keep Clary's interest. This produced a wider gap between the OG and OT that enabled a delayed stunt by the LB to come pretty well clean past Clary.

i get why it's happening. i just don't get why it's happening, and so frequently.

there are times when the DL is merely driving straight backwards, caving our guys in the process. mano a mano; no twisting, swimming, or dancing.

"i don't get it...." should have been explained. what i meant is, "damnm, you'd think they'd have that figured out by now...."
The rest of the frog.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 27, 2017, 04:58:36 pm
It's as simple as a player on this Arkansas Razorback offensive line says that 2 players who are worshipped by Hogville for being 4 star recruits are not very good. They are not playing because they are not as good as advertised, not because BB has a thing for underachievers. not every recruiting victory turns out to be a homerun! Check it.....

Thank you - this is something I have suspected for a while.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 27, 2017, 03:41:29 pm
https://www.arkansasfight.com/2017/9/26/16365246/a-closer-look-at-arkansas-offensive-line

Why Ty Clary got pulled, and how the three different line combos performed vs. the Aggies. Expect to see the coaches continue to mix it up in-game unless someone really steps up and wins the job.

Thanks for the great analysis.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

IronHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 27, 2017, 04:58:36 pm

BS

ChicoHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 27, 2017, 07:46:00 pm
That's a big part of it.  Just like a WR who doesn't know what route to run.  Doesn't matter how talented he is physically he still needs to know where to go and/or who to block. 

swineology

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 27, 2017, 03:41:29 pm

So Bert's  recruiting and evaluation suck?

LOL in year 5

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

ballz2thewall

the root of this problem is laziness. laziness on the coaching staff.

you don't see the keystone cops routine in the form of a rotating door for an offensive line like this unless someone is surfing the web instead of working. not with the personnel we have.

laziness takes many forms. what you see on the field in the OL is a sign of it.

game 3 of year 5 and that's the best shiit you can toss on the field......

i've been harping the tune in other threads, and perhaps a bit strong for some on here, but i don't care. i know it when i see it.
The rest of the frog.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 27, 2017, 08:07:11 pm
i get why it's happening. i just don't get why it's happening, and so frequently.

there are times when the DL is merely driving straight backwards, caving our guys in the process. mano a mano; no twisting, swimming, or dancing.

"i don't get it...." should have been explained. what i meant is, "damnm, you'd think they'd have that figured out by now...."

Again, you feel a guy trying to bull rush you, you re-adjust your feet and position on him so that you have inside-out leverage, taking away his strength and speed to some extent and using his momentum to push him outside and beyond the QB and in doing so, forming a pocket for the QB to step up into. It's more difficult to explain on here than to do. At least, that has been my experience. You can't just stand there and go strength to strength with a quicker, faster guy and allow him to push you backwards. Maybe I'm not answering the question very well, I'm not sure.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 27, 2017, 08:45:06 pm
the root of this problem is laziness. laziness on the coaching staff.

you don't see the keystone cops routine in the form of a rotating door for an offensive line like this unless someone is surfing the web instead of working. not with the personnel we have.

laziness takes many forms. what you see on the field in the OL is a sign of it.

game 3 of year 5 and that's the best shiit you can toss on the field......

i've been harping the tune in other threads, and perhaps a bit strong for some on here, but i don't care. i know it when i see it.

It's not laziness.
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 08:45:14 pm
Again, you feel a guy trying to bull rush you, you re-adjust your feet and position on him so that you have inside-out leverage, taking away his strength and speed to some extent and using his momentum to push him outside and beyond the QB and in doing so, forming a pocket for the QB to step up into. It's more difficult to explain on here than to do. At least, that has been my experience. You can't just stand there and go strength to strength with a quicker, faster guy and allow him to push you backwards. Maybe I'm not answering the question very well, I'm not sure.

i appreciate that. i think i was being a bit too rhetorical and introspective out loud.

what i mean is, with frustrated tone [directed at the OL],  "these guys should have the straight up blocking figured out by now".
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 08:48:02 pm
It's not laziness.

it is laziness, first and foremost. secondly, i'd say is competence.

The rest of the frog.

Piggfoot

In general the Big 10 matches up with the SEC on the top end. Of course Bielema's team beat us but Nutt was the coach and D-Mac was not on top of his game.
People have been critical of our S&C program and I think they are correct. Alvarez pointed out that at Wisconsin they were big and slow ( but not too slow) and I think he is only doing what Bielema wants.  It's not going to work in the SEC with faster more athletic players. I said earlier our tackles need to be more athletic and quicker to match up with SEC DEs.. Even if it means dropping in size for our base offense. Save the big boys for the Steamboat package.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

swineology

WaltonCollege

Is herb just getting these guys in spring break Panama City shape to look good? Does he not know we need actual strength to battle the ogres lsu and bama and others will throw at us? It's year five come on man give me a push on the line.

Rayzback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 27, 2017, 07:59:40 pm
On one of Clary's miscues (rookie mistake well scouted by A&M) the DT came more at him at first, naturally getting most of this attention, then shifted back towards Ragnow, hoping to not only engage Ragnow but continue to keep Clary's interest. This produced a wider gap between the OG and OT that enabled a delayed stunt by the LB to come pretty well clean past Clary.

It kind of looked like Ragnow might have also tried to stop the LB by shoving Clary into him while also taking on the DT?? 

On the busted play where AA rolled way right, about the time you thought might have been a good time to sling it, the receivers looked on top of each other. Maybe a bad route?
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

logic

Quote from: swineology on September 27, 2017, 08:42:01 pm
So Bert's  recruiting and evaluation suck?
Bert doesn't know how to coach linemen, he is much better at coaching tight ends.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: swineology on September 27, 2017, 09:24:15 pm
So what is it Muskogee?

I'm not sure, but I cannot believe it is because they aren't trying. All I know is that I see some guys on the O-Line not keeping their feet moving and constantly re-positioning their base so that they move with pass rushers, maintaining their leverage on the opponent. I don't believe that it is because they are weaker than the opponent and I don't think it is because the coach or the players are lazy. 
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2017, 05:53:35 am
I'm not sure, but I cannot believe it is because they aren't trying. All I know is that I see some guys on the O-Line not keeping their feet moving and constantly re-positioning their base so that they move with pass rushers, maintaining their leverage on the opponent. I don't believe that it is because they are weaker than the opponent and I don't think it is because the coach or the players are lazy. 

Poor footwork and "power" goes hand in hand with insufficent core stability.

Modern S&C is all about the core.  These boys ain't equal with their opponents dynamically.