Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

They are still writing about 4th & 25 in Bama

Started by monty hawg, January 27, 2016, 02:46:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cracker Jack

I still get chills every time I watch these highlights........play of the year!

Dropkick

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 27, 2016, 03:43:34 pm
It saved thier season and allowed them to go on and win the NC!

Everyone points to this play as saving Bama's season but the OM loss to Florida was just as important.

SoCal Hog

Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

Dropkick

It also kept Ole Miss from going to SEC championship game again which I love. They have still never been even with that large payroll.

Sed76

Love that we won but it makes me sick to my stomach to think we helped add yet another trophy to the Alabama trophy room.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Sed76 on January 27, 2016, 04:14:22 pm
Love that we won but it makes me sick to my stomach to think we helped add yet another trophy to the Alabama trophy room.
Better than Ole Miss. But yeah, I hear ya.

Vantage 8 dude

No doubt that play will be forever ingrained and remembered in the annals of Alabama football. The one sad thing is that likely or not the Tide's arrogance will be such that the Hog's part in helping them out in this situation will be totally forgotten/ignored. As time goes by they'll likely come up with some nonsense that a Tide player slipped onto the field and without notice actually had a key part in the play's incredible outcome. Not only that but when it came to overtime and BA's deciding two point attempt the "Alabama football god(s)" actually reached down to pull the face mask. After all, wasn't it OM's Freeze who said it was all a gigantic accident anyway?

claytongray

I love keeping Ole Miss out of the SEC title game, but Alabama would probably have still been in the playoffs even without winning the SEC.

Getting into the playoffs going through the SEC is a really big deal.  Bama allowed a team lessor than them win against them.  Things would have been difficult for the pickers and choosers if OM only loses one SEC game and wins the conference with an 11-1 record.  Doubt they would let 2 SEC teams in the playoffs.  Would they allow the best team in or put in the conference winner.

You could actually lose 2 SEC west games and still be one of the best 4 teams in the country but you would be highly unlikely to get in the playoffs.  Nothing is perfect.  Yet this year, the best team in college football won it all.  That BAMA D line was the best and Kiffin had just enough moxie to not let the offense blow it.  A great team won this year.  3 or 4 really good teams stayed home.

Großer Kriegschwein

Some OMFan posters are still talking to their shrinks about that play.
This is my non-signature signature.

StuartDavin

I'm not convinced Bama wouldn't have slipped into the playoffs anyway. They were ranked 4th going into that week..and beat #2 LSU the same night.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: claytongray on January 27, 2016, 08:15:24 pm
I love keeping Ole Miss out of the SEC title game, but Alabama would probably have still been in the playoffs even without winning the SEC.
Not if Ole Miss had won out. They would have been in and the current champs would haven't even gotten a shot.

A little off topic, but I think we're seeing the seeds of the same problems we faced in the BCS era. In terms of talent, that school in ohio was better than Michigan State. So was Stanford. Heck, Baylor and Ole Miss probably were as well.

The best teams didn't make the playoffs this year, and there's just no way to make sure that they do without breaking the regular season.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 27, 2016, 08:46:01 pm
Some OMFan posters are still talking to their shrinks about that play.

Everytime a Ole Miss fans hears , reads or sees that play again part of their soul dies and they get a 2 finger shot of Whiskey.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.