Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to fill the upper deck in the expanded RRS? Attendance rebates.

Started by Locutus_of_Boar, January 25, 2016, 08:11:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Locutus_of_Boar

How an attendance rebate would work:  New season ticket purchaser plays regular ticket price.  For every consecutive game that seat is used by the holder or whoever they sell/give the ticket to, the athletic department lowers the next year season ticket renewal by 2% of face value.  In other words for a six game home ticket where every game the seat is filled the following year's price is discounted by 12%, the following year by another 12%.  After 8 years with the seat filled continuously the tickets are essentially fully rebated as long as someone fills the seat every game.

For each year fully attended the season ticket holder receives further credit towards a reduced buy in price on better seats lower in the stadium if they won't to improve their seating.

The assumption is those who could afford it will be enticed to move to better seating while those who cannot afford to move up would do all they could to keep their seats filled.

RME

Uncommon

I think there should be some sort of price reduction if you're a "good" season ticket holder and the tickets are used at every game.  But the price shouldn't continue to go down the following seasons.  We'd be losing money.  I'd say maybe a 10% reduction on season ticket price the following season if they are used at every home game.  That way we don't end up with those "sellouts" we had last year.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 25, 2016, 08:22:40 pm
Or...

Consistently win football games.

The games that would be most affected by incentive based pricing based on continuous attendance would ironically be the games most likely to be won.  Those games with the weakest opponents are the one that benefit the most.  Bad weather games, which have always been a particular problem for Fayetteville would also benefit.  Everybody will come to see Bama in October.  It's drawing a crowd in the August heat to see LaTech or the November rain to watch a bad Mizzou team that is the challenge.

ricepig

Umm, I don't see that happening, hopefully a reduction of sorts for the upper deck. I just want the visitors to pay full price, lol.

swineology

1HourToHogville

OU uses the ticket scanning system to verify usage.  But unscanned tickets can cause the ticket holder to have their seating moved to a less preferable location. Even if they can't sell them they will make sure to get them to someone who will attend.  They do not want to lose their prime locations. 

ricepig

1HourToHogville

Oklahawg

Quote from: 1HourToHogville on January 25, 2016, 08:46:48 pm
OU uses the ticket scanning system to verify usage.  But unscanned tickets can cause the ticket holder to have their seating moved to a less preferable location. Even if they can't sell them they will make sure to get them to someone who will attend.  They do not want to lose their prime locations. 

I love this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hobhog

SMU uses attendance bonus for basketball now. Football too but no one cares.

I like the idea. Reward fans that actually go and support the teams....

jkstock04

Highly doubtful Jeff along would ever go for anything like this.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 25, 2016, 11:15:45 pm
Highly doubtful Jeff along would ever go for anything like this.

He might.  TV is where he makes his money but those TV viewer are directly in proportion to the ones who buy tickets in RRS.  He has to have committed fans, not just the ones who'd tune in the Arkansas broadcast if the team is playing well.  He just can't have a half empty upper deck on the east side showing up on TV every week except maybe Alabama.  With the NEZ taking at least another 5K to the lower level they may need to close off the corner sections of the upper west side to get the desired visual effect.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on January 25, 2016, 08:11:34 pm
How an attendance rebate would work:  New season ticket purchaser plays regular ticket price.  For every consecutive game that seat is used by the holder or whoever they sell/give the ticket to, the athletic department lowers the next year season ticket renewal by 2% of face value.  In other words for a six game home ticket where every game the seat is filled the following year's price is discounted by 12%, the following year by another 12%.  After 8 years with the seat filled continuously the tickets are essentially fully rebated as long as someone fills the seat every game.

For each year fully attended the season ticket holder receives further credit towards a reduced buy in price on better seats lower in the stadium if they won't to improve their seating.

The assumption is those who could afford it will be enticed to move to better seating while those who cannot afford to move up would do all they could to keep their seats filled.

So in about 15 years or so the majority of the stadium seats are not making money?

Why should the school benefit you simply because you bought the ticket and showed up?

If Jeff Long is worried about butts in seats then - You buy the season ticket and if you don't fill the seat for 50% of the games then you will not be allowed to buy season tickets. You have to purchase per game.

Not sure why a fan feels they should monetarily benefit from attending the game. Isn't attending the game the whole purpose of purchasing the ticket?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hogcard1964

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 25, 2016, 08:22:40 pm
Or...

Consistently win football games.

+1000
What was our attendance when we won 10 and 11 games 5 years ago?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: swineology on January 25, 2016, 08:36:43 pm
Again fans will be asked to answer the call..

As they always have been, should be and done everywhere at every school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on January 26, 2016, 04:21:10 am
He might.  TV is where he makes his money but those TV viewer are directly in proportion to the ones who buy tickets in RRS.  He has to have committed fans, not just the ones who'd tune in the Arkansas broadcast if the team is playing well.  He just can't have a half empty upper deck on the east side showing up on TV every week except maybe Alabama.  With the NEZ taking at least another 5K to the lower level they may need to close off the corner sections of the upper west side to get the desired visual effect.
I would lean towards disagreeing. My opinion is what they are going to add on with this renovation will be high demand and actually only increase ticket sales. We are talking a few chair backs and box suites. I don't see that causing a "watering down" effect like you are suggesting.

Besides that, even if what you say is true and this watering down effect essentially makes the upper deck more bare...does it really matter in terms of $$$ what it looks like on tv? These extra chair backs and suites being filled up are going to be higher priced and essentially bring in more $$ even if attendance stays the same.

Not only that, but how often do the tv cameras actually show the upper deck anyways? I go to every home game so I'm not sure what it looks like on tv. But I would be surprised if many....if any shots showed anything of the upper deck.

Lastly, think about this...Jeff Long, right in the face of the basketball program going down the toilet, raised ticket prices. Seemingly low demand product and raised ticket prices.  Doesn't seem like the type of guy to give out rebates to sell a few more tickets with this new project.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

texas tush hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 26, 2016, 06:12:50 am
As they always have been, should be and done everywhere at every school.

Only after the coaches answer the call.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

atekido

Winning a lot and winning consistently is the only real fix.  If we can just make it through the first couple months without getting upset and continue to play how we do towards the back half of the season attendance will skyrocket.

razoredge178

All that my tickets for football, basketball, and baseball have done are go up...up...and up. Donations go up. Everything goes up. Except for the winning %. It has went down...down.

code red

How are you going to police that?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Winning yes.....those of us in attendance vs Bama in 2010 can attest that.  That place was absolutely rocking...not a empty seat to be had.  That atmosphere was the best I can remember.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

goodguytex

Quote from: code red on January 26, 2016, 11:41:07 am
Winning yes.....those of us in attendance vs Bama in 2010 can attest that.  That place was absolutely rocking...not a empty seat to be had.  That atmosphere was the best I can remember.
I agree... I was at that game. Had DJ not been hurt... We win that one.

RME

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 26, 2016, 06:04:40 am

+1000

Pretty dadgum high. 2010 was my freshman year at the U of A, and against Bama that year, DWR was nuts.

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 27, 2016, 11:24:35 am
Pretty dadgum high. 2010 was my freshman year at the U of A, and against Bama that year, DWR was nuts.

Our record for season ticket sells is 2012.

justmakeit2thebcs

Why would we reduce the ticket prices for those who show up?  It equals less revenue and more than likely no more butts in the seats.  If someone doesn't show up even though they have already paid for the ticket, you think 2% off $330 (a whopping $6.60) is going to make them show up?  how about 10%?  That's only $33.  They just threw away $55 for one game. 

Maybe we should raise ticket prices 10% then give it back to you if you show up.   LOL.  That would piss people off. 

Just win baby!

RME

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2016, 12:09:16 pm
Our record for season ticket sells is 2012.

What does that have to do with actual game attendance? Especially in 2010 and 2011?

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 27, 2016, 12:16:09 pm
What does that have to do with actual game attendance? Especially in 2010 and 2011?

What does actual game attendance in 2010 and 2011 have to do with the OP?

RME

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2016, 12:17:44 pm
What does actual game attendance in 2010 and 2011 have to do with the OP?

My reply to the OP was to consistently win games. Another poster backed that up by saying, yeah, back in 2010 and 2011 when we were having 10-win seasons, attendance was high and the upper decks were full. So, to piggyback his response, I agreed. See how all of that relates to my original post to the OP? Using examples is a pretty effective way to prove a point.

Should I lay it out a little more explicitly or

hawganatic

Think this is a far better idea than bribing ticket holders to come to games with rebates.  The fans that show up get the best seats...

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 27, 2016, 12:25:34 pm

My reply to the OP was to consistently win games. Another poster backed that up by saying, yeah, back in 2010 and 2011 when we were having 10-win seasons, attendance was high and the upper decks were full. So, to piggyback his response, I agreed. See how all of that relates to my original post to the OP? Using examples is a pretty effective way to prove a point.

Should I lay it out a little more explicitly or

To which I added that our highest season ticket sells came off those seasons, do I need to lay it out a little more explicitly?

If you don't think there was a correlation between those seasons and the season ticket sells.........

RME

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2016, 12:26:18 pm
To which I added that our highest season ticket sells came off those seasons, do I need to lay it out a little more explicitly?

If you don't think there was a correlation between those seasons and the season ticket sells.........

Sure I do. Back to back 10 win seasons caused 2012 to see a record in season ticket sales.

I may have misinterpreted your reply when you quoted my post. If so, I apologize.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

007 License To Squeal

What OTHER prices would rise to offset the seat revenue loss?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 30, 2016, 03:30:59 am
What OTHER prices would rise to offset the seat revenue loss?

The rebates would only apply to season seats sold in the upper decks which is preferable to a bunch of unsold or sold but unused seats.  Those who do buy and regularly attend become the base to eventually purchase lover level seats.  The admin eases that transfer by giving them credits based on their percentage attendance in the upper deck.  This makes the transition to paying customer in the lower deck easier where these same loyal fans will eventually pay back into the system much more than if they are treated as a sold upper deck ticket with little regard to whether they show up or not or are willing to contribute more in the future.

It's a long term view towards how the next generation of fans is brought into and kept with the Razorback Nation.  It means valuing every Arkansas fan against their potential lifetime contribution and the willingness to show up week after week and sit in bad seats, often in bad weather, once in a while watching a less then stellar performance against an uninteresting opponent is a good measure of that lifetime potential.

elviscat

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elviscat on January 31, 2016, 02:59:35 pm
Five dollar seats would fill it in a big hurry.

Obviously you've never had to do any yield management strategies.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BorderPatrol

+1000

If you would have attended, you would have known.

bp

RazorPiggie

+1000

2009 average 65,112
2010 average 68,932
2011 average 66,990

2014 average 66,521

2015 average was 69,070 (according to wiki but not sure I believe that)

NaturalStateReb

That's actually a fascinating idea.  I think the hard part would be verifying attendance.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

psooie

There is a reason most NFL stadiums are between 60,000-70,000

wholehog92

For those wondering how you verify, the tickets are scanned on entry.  If we are scanning tix, they are in a database.  Sold vs attendance isn't hard to figure after that.

I like the idea of 100% attendance moves you a spot up on the donor level for seat assignments.  Reward that doesn't affect revenue.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

tusksincolorado

.25 beer with no access from the Lower Bowl.

I mean we can't go into the Sky Boxes to drink!

Take care of The Minions!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HogimusMaximus