Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

just wanted to say thank you

Started by Kevin, January 23, 2016, 11:50:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

January 23, 2016, 05:25:18 pm #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:07:38 am by Inhogswetrust
GREAT topic! I've been to DC a lot. I lived two hours south in Richmond, VA (a really nice city) and we went there quite a bit and almost all the main tourist attractions and government buildings. IF someone asked me "If there is only one place that everyone should visit in DC where would it be?" I'd say "Arlington Cemetery and The Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers". Second would be the National Archives. Third would be the various War Memorials. WAY down the list would be the Capital and White House. They might not even make my top ten.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NuttinItUp

Great!

Side question: Are their guns loaded while they guard the tomb?

jabohog

I got to tour the pentagon. All their guns were loaded, and there was a lot of guns.

Arlington Cemetery and The Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers changing of the guard was one of the most awesome things I have seen.

RollHogTide

I've been to DC several times when I was in the military.  I never had the honor of seeing it, but to those men - THANK YOU!!!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: RollHogTide on January 23, 2016, 06:25:27 pm
I've been to DC several times when I was in the military.  I never had the honor of seeing it, but to those men - THANK YOU!!!
It is quite the sight to see. Very emotional.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

BigPapaHawg

I hope to be able to see them some day!
WOO PIG

Doug

Quote from: NuttinItUpSide question: Are their guns loaded while they guard the tomb?
Absolutely.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 23, 2016, 07:40:06 pm

Agreed. I went as a teen and I remember like it was yesterday. Changing of the guard is an emotional event.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 23, 2016, 08:37:05 pm
Agreed. I went as a teen and I remember like it was yesterday. Changing of the guard is an emotional event.

On one of my many visits there was a guy that was talking way to loud. It was distracting. The soldier stopped turned faced the crowd and said something about keeping quiet and the place as a place of respect and honor. Those guards are trained to handle anything I'd bet.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gmarv

Quote from: Kevin on January 23, 2016, 11:50:38 am
moved to where it needs to be, if this is not the right place

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/23/soldiers-will-stand-guard-at-tomb-of-unknowns-through-historic-storm/
this is one of the things that makes our military great. they understand respect for our fallen soldiers. thank you for the link

Steef

https://tombguard.org/society/faq/

Hate to link bomb, but every question has to be clicked on to get an answer.

Worth a look.

HogBreath

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 23, 2016, 07:40:06 pm
Absolutely, just a really unique situation.  Soul stirring.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on January 23, 2016, 11:50:38 am
moved to where it needs to be, if this is not the right place

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/23/soldiers-will-stand-guard-at-tomb-of-unknowns-through-historic-storm/

The "Old Guard" is a very demanding unit to be a part of and the requirements in terms of fitness, physical build, attention to detail and mental discipline are not of the type that just anyone who applies, can qualify. This group of young men have my eternal respect.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2016, 09:06:54 am
The "Old Guard" is a very demanding unit to be a part of and the requirements in terms of fitness, physical build, attention to detail and mental discipline are not of the type that just anyone who applies, can qualify. This group of young men have my eternal respect.

Women are included now. But I understand your meaning and agree!

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Steef on January 24, 2016, 08:56:23 am
https://tombguard.org/society/faq/

Hate to link bomb, but every question has to be clicked on to get an answer.

Worth a look.

THAT was a great link bomb. Well worth the read.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

FANONTHEHILL

Let me tell a quick story.  A few years ago our family went to Washington and we were on the Capital Mall at the WW II Memorial.  If you haven't seen it, it's a large pool surrounded by pillars with each state's name.  There was a family sitting at the edge of the pool letting their young kids play in the water.  I was a little bothered by it, but didn't say anything.  A woman approached the family and began to yell at them and tell them how disrespectful they were being.  An older man, probably close to 90 came up to the woman.  He was dressed in a WWII era Marine uniform.  He was a sergeant.  His uniform still fit perfectly and he was probably the toughbest man in Washington that day. He said to the woman, "Leave this family and these kids alone.  We did what we did so they could be right here enjoying their day.  This is what we fought for."

I'll never forget that man and when someone mentions the "Greatest Generation" his face is what I see.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Steef

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 24, 2016, 04:44:53 pm
Let me tell a quick story.  A few years ago our family went to Washington and we were on the Capital Mall at the WW II Memorial.  If you haven't seen it, it's a large pool surrounded by pillars with each star's name.  There was a family sitting at the edge of the pool letting their young kids play in the water.  I was a little bothered by it, but didn't say anything.  A woman approached the family and began to yell at them and tell them how disrespectful they were being.  An older man, probably close to 90 came up to the woman.  He was dressed in a WWII era Marine uniform.  He was a sergeant.  His uniform still fit perfectly and he was probably the toughest man in Washington that day. He said to the woman, "Leave this family and these kids alone.  We did what we did so they could be right here enjoying their day.  This is what we fought for."

I'll never forget that man and when someone mentions the "Greatest Generation" his face is what I see.

+1

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 24, 2016, 04:44:53 pm
Let me tell a quick story.  A few years ago our family went to Washington and we were on the Capital Mall at the WW II Memorial.  If you haven't seen it, it's a large pool surrounded by pillars with each state's name.  There was a family sitting at the edge of the pool letting their young kids play in the water.  I was a little bothered by it, but didn't say anything.  A woman approached the family and began to yell at them and tell them how disrespectful they were being.  An older man, probably close to 90 came up to the woman.  He was dressed in a WWII era Marine uniform.  He was a sergeant.  His uniform still fit perfectly and he was probably the toughbest man in Washington that day. He said to the woman, "Leave this family and these kids alone.  We did what we did so they could be right here enjoying their day.  This is what we fought for."

Great story!