Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elite Players

Started by hog_fan86, January 22, 2016, 01:39:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog_fan86

How many elite players do you think it takes to win a national championship? I consider an elite player as someone drafted in the first two rounds.

Looking back at Alabama's draft history as a guide shows the following:

2009 - NC. One player drafted in first two rounds.
2010 - Four players in first two rounds.
2011 - NC. Four players All in first round.
2012 - NC. Five players in first two rounds.
2013 - Four players in first two rounds
2014 - Three players in first two rounds.
2015 - NC.  ?

Looks to show 4-5 guys. I didn't take the time to look and see how many of those players were on multiple NC teams.

Who do you see as potential elite players going forward at Arkansas?

JethroB.

Quote from: hog_fan86 on January 22, 2016, 01:39:45 pm
How many elite players do you think it takes to win a national championship? I consider an elite player as someone drafted in the first two rounds.

2015 - NC.  ?

Looks to show 4-5 guys. I didn't take the time to look and see how many of those players were on multiple NC teams.

Also kind of makes you wonder like on that 2009 NC team...how many of those 4 that were drafted in the top 2 rounds in 2010 weren't eligible to go to the draft that year and had to go out in 2010. That would be an interesting stat to add along with this.

KennyForAD

Bijohn Jackson.  Ricky Town.  Jeremy Sprinkle.

MuskogeeHogFan

2015 - NC.  ?

Elite players are not enough. You have to have a sound foundation of quality players across the board to support, surround and contribute to the efforts of the "elite" players. Elite players certainly help but without a good supporting cast, they wouldn't appear to be as "elite".
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

I realize this is a mirror image and not exactly what the OP was talking about...

But the Green Bay Packers team that won the first two Super Bowls...had exactly one first round draftee. Paul Hornung.

Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round.

Coaching matters.

hog_fan86

Quote from: Steef on January 22, 2016, 07:24:44 pm
I realize this is a mirror image and not exactly what the OP was talking about...

But the Green Bay Packers team that won the first two Super Bowls...had exactly one first round draftee. Paul Hornung.

Coaching matters.

Coaching definitely matters. Look at LSU.

bennyl08

Last draft, Washington had 3 first rounders and a second round pick. Over the past 3 years, they've had 4 first rounders and 3 second rounders.

However, they are a very top heavy team. They other 8 guys out on the field aren't nearly as good and there isn't much depth. On top of that, poor coaching.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

navyhog24

Look at LSU and aTm. They have all the talent in the world as well, but they have crap for head coaches so they suck.

hawginbigd1

2015 - NC.  ?

To quote the great Ron "tater salad" White, I don't know how many it takes, but we can apparently figure out how many were used! ;D

Shut up it's late I am going to bed! Stop talking!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Steef on January 22, 2016, 07:24:44 pm

Coaching matters.

Yes, that would be an excellent point.

If this was the 1960s.

DukeOfPork

Well, we didn't have but a tiny fraction of the talent that those Bama teams had.  And we currently only have a tiny fraction of the talent that Bama has.

And this recruiting class has a tiny fraction of the talent that Bama has.

So, expect more of the same.  Talent matters.  A lot.  It sets the ceiling for how high good coaching can take you.

Better question is how many players on signing day, can reasonably be expected to go in the first 2 rounds when they eventually go.  At BAMA, nearly every recruit has potential to go in the first 2 rounds when they finally go.  At Arkansas, how many do you believe had that when they first arrived, as a reasonable expectation, over the past 4 years.  I think Collins and Henry over a 4 year period.  There may be others I cannot remember.   I personally do not believe you necessarily have to have any 1st or 2nd rounders to win it all.  You need luck, good team chemistry, great coaching and to have the competition have an overall down year, which takes you back to luck.

With our recruiting level and coaching, we'll need BAMA, Aubbie, Geo, FLA, OM, TN, LSU to all have a slightly off year for them in the same year that we play up to potential. An ordinary group, though uncommon, still needs their competition to be off and maybe unlucky to win enough to be considered for the playoff and that needs to continue through the playoffs for them to win it all.  3 years ago, Aubbie nearly had that exact situation.

The Kig

Quote from: 12247 on January 23, 2016, 09:21:09 am

With our recruiting level and coaching, we'll need BAMA, Aubbie, Geo, FLA, OM, TN, LSU to all have a slightly off year for them in the same year that we play up to potential.

This is the crux of the issue for us.  We have to rely on several teams being off. 
Poker Porker

Hogarusa

It takes more than 4-5.  The 2009 team RB depth chart was Ingram, TRich, and Eddie Lacy.  16 players in their depth chart ended up being picked in the top 65 spots of the draft. I imagine its only improved since then.

http://www.rosterresource.com/ncaa-historical-depth-charts-2009-alabama/
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 22, 2016, 07:06:01 pm
Bijohn Jackson.  Ricky Town.  Jeremy Sprinkle.
Dominique Reed. Sosa Agim. Brandon Jones. Kris Fulton. Rick Town. Jeremy Sprinkle. Devwah Whaley.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

GoHogs1091

Elite players matter, and the number of elite players matters a lot.

All one has to do is look at Florida State, who won the NC in the 2013 season, and Clemson, who was 6 points (5 points to tie and 1 more point to win) away from winning the NC this season.

A lot of people nationally may not realize just how many elite players Florida State and Clemson lands.  There is really only 3 SEC Schools who consistently recruit on the same level as Florida State and Clemson, those 3 being Alabama, LSU, and Georgia.

It is why it is amazing when some people automatically assume that if Florida State and Clemson were in the SEC, they would have an average win-loss record in the SEC.  If Florida State and Clemson had been in the SEC, their record would only be slightly worse than what Alabama has done in conference play over the last few seasons.  It is because FSU and Clemson both land a lot of elite players.

This recently completed season was a down/reloading season for Florida State, and what FSU did to Florida (the SEC East Champion) on the road at Gainesville was more impressive than what Alabama did to Florida in the SEC Conference Championship Game.

Don't be surprised to see Florida State win against Ole Miss by at least 20 points this upcoming season.

Don't be surprised to see Clemson dismantle Auburn by at least 30 points this upcoming season.

Ole Miss and Auburn are going to see first hand what kind of a difference is made by the number of elite players.

kharvey

If Ole Miss and Auburn, seek the first hand experience of competing against elite talent, they should consider joining the SEC West. They could play Alabama every year!   

GoHogs1091

Quote from: kharvey on January 23, 2016, 05:16:06 pm
If Ole Miss and Auburn, seek the first hand experience of competing against elite talent, they should consider joining the SEC West. They could play Alabama every year!   

Just keep in mind that Ole Miss' Chad Kelly, who according to some national analysts was the best QB in the SEC this season, and who is projected to be the best QB in the SEC this upcoming season, couldn't beat out the other QBs at Clemson for the starting QB position at Clemson.

Kelly threw a tantrum to the Clemson Coaches when he couldn't beat out the other QBs at Clemson, and then he was dismissed from the team right after because of that tantrum.

moto625

More than we've ever had

code red

2015 - NC.  ?

Takes and elite coach with an elite staff.  Basically it takes a goobs worth of money.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

arlhog

I think you have to have a couple of guys on each side of the ball that are elite enough that the other team has no answer for and you have to be solid and I mean really solid everywhere else with no holes. 

ballhogger

This is hard to say at this point.  I don't think that JJ Watt or Richard Sherman were elite the moment they set foot on campus.  Players in college are so funny because they can become men overnight.  Although I do think we have some I don't think you can tell until spring rolls around.  Someone mentioned Sprinkle but I think we have several tight ends that will wind up being elite.  We may have a couple of linemen that could be.  Some d-line men that could be. It really depends on development which Coach B is kinda known for.

yraciv

I found this team talent composite rather interesting from 24/7.
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

If you dig into Arkansas, obviously we're losing our top recruit in recent years in Collins, but the rest of our guys at the top of the list were underclassman last year. 

hog_fan86

Quote from: yraciv on January 25, 2016, 09:57:46 am
I found this team talent composite rather interesting from 24/7.
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

If you dig into Arkansas, obviously we're losing our top recruit in recent years in Collins, but the rest of our guys at the top of the list were underclassman last year. 

Well that shows pretty clearly why Alabama is having a nice little run. 

It also shows me either: a&m and texas are both substantially underachieving, or the 'experts' are missing on how they rate Texas recruits.

ZERO

Quote from: The Kig on January 23, 2016, 09:38:13 am
This is the crux of the issue for us.  We have to rely on several teams being off.

This works both ways. We're historically a better program than Texas A&M and Mississippi State. They've relied heavily on us being "off" since Petrino's firing. Ole Miss is historically equal to us. And although Auburn has been a better performing football program, we're very similar in stats, and they only hold a two game lead over us in the series. Auburn has been a program of extremes, and their highs have been far higher than ours.

Really, the only West teams we have to worry about trouncing us due to being a better program are Alabama and LSU. Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida are also the only "better" teams in the East.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Biggus Piggus

Three. The answer to the question is three. No, five!
[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 25, 2016, 04:25:12 pm
Three. The answer to the question is three. No, five!

Haha.

Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then win your national championship.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogBreath

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2016, 11:08:06 pm
Last draft, Washington had 3 first rounders and a second round pick. Over the past 3 years, they've had 4 first rounders and 3 second rounders.

Over the last three years, wouldn't most teams have had 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bennyl08

Quote from: HogBreath on January 25, 2016, 08:20:10 pm
Over the last three years, wouldn't most teams have had 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks?

No... There's at most 32 picks in the first round, and over 100 FBS teams. All things being equal, you'd only average 1 first round pick every 3 years, not getting 3 in one year.

Ooooohhhhh. You thought I was talking about DC. Huskies my friend. University of Washington. I assumed context of the thread would have been enough. If we are talking about about talent on college teams as quantified by how many early round draft picks they have...

Ironically, the DC team due the RG3 trade hasn't had that number of draft picks in the first round.

Hogwild

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 25, 2016, 08:51:11 pm
No... There's at most 32 picks in the first round, and over 100 FBS teams. All things being equal, you'd only average 1 first round pick every 3 years, not getting 3 in one year.

Yes it it really early and this site doesn't have the best track record (once had Tyler Wilson going #1 overall), but it is the only 1 that I've seen with a 2017 Mock 1st round.

Of the 1st 16 picks in next years draft- 10 play in the SEC. 

They have LSU (7) & Bama (4) with 11 of the first round picks.  :o
http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 25, 2016, 07:42:29 pm
Haha.

Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then win your national championship.

Outstanding.

[CENSORED]!

code red

2015 - NC.  ?

To run our offense?  A lot.  If you run spread?  Not many.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MJ2

1st and foremost it takes an elite coach, then the other pieces start falling into place.

Hogsenburg

Elite players alone do not a champion make.....it takes great coaching from top to bottom, discipline, drive, and work ethic to be a champion. The real thing that creates championships is a great football culture. That being said it certainly dont hurt nothin to have some elite players  ;)