Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nike to start 7on7 league.

Started by rhog1, January 21, 2016, 01:39:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/nike-7-on-7-national-league/
Nike is starting a national 7on7 league. I don't see any way this could be a good thing. The last thing college football needs is a shady aau style league making recruiting even worse. Hopefully the  NCAA can ban players from participating in this.

HumbleHogkid

If it starts to affect schools to much they will start refusing sponsorship by Nike and I bet that would be the end of the 7 on 7 league.

hogsanity

Why is anyone surprised by this. All summer has been the last few years is 7 on 7 camps and tournaments already, just nothing as organized as what this is proposing. Parents will fall all over themselves to get their kids into this just like with AAu basketball and high level travel baseball.

And how can the NCAA do anything about it, especially since they already turn a blind eye to the AAU basketball cesspool.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

The future of football is 7 on 7, and Nike will do what it can to be sure of it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: HumbleHogkid on January 21, 2016, 02:37:45 pm
If it starts to affect schools to much they will start refusing sponsorship by Nike and I bet that would be the end of the 7 on 7 league.

Hmm....let's see....$100m deal with Nike, or putting up with some coach's whining about recruiting....I think the vast majority of AD'S take the money.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

The Oregon Schmucks just peed their pants with excitement.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 02:49:36 pm
Why is anyone surprised by this. All summer has been the last few years is 7 on 7 camps and tournaments already, just nothing as organized as what this is proposing. Parents will fall all over themselves to get their kids into this just like with AAu basketball and high level travel baseball.

And how can the NCAA do anything about it, especially since they already turn a blind eye to the AAU basketball cesspool.

If some of these parents were honest with themselves, they would call up an ex- MLB player or NFL player who has been around the game and probably coached some as well, and ask them to come assess their kid's potential.  They could pay them $250.00 and know what their future prospects are.  Instead, they shell out THOUSANDS, like upwards of $10K by some, to travel all summer playing baseball in everything from tournaments to these "showcase" events...and for what? 

It's my pet peeve, because it's a joke.  If ALL of the talent in Ft. Smith stayed and played local league, then it would benefit everyone.  Same for the cities in NWA.  Then have an inter league tournament or two a year, and call it a day.  The cream would still rise to the top.   

Now...we're going to see the same thing happen in football.  The local coaches say, "Yes, your son is fast, and if he just grows 3 more inches and puts on about 25 lbs, he can play major college football."  Meanwhile, he's only got the potential to grow 1", isn't fast ENOUGH, and if he puts on 25 lbs he'll be even slower.  But they gotta keep the dream alive and keep kidding themselves to the tune of thousands of dollars of debt that could go toward college funding. 

There are a LOT of parents running around with maxed credit cards from hopes and dreams for their children, when a stern slap from reality would have made everyone better off. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 21, 2016, 03:16:21 pm
If some of these parents were honest with themselves, they would call up an ex- MLB player or NFL player who has been around the game and probably coached some as well, and ask them to come assess their kid's potential.  They could pay them $250.00 and know what their future prospects are.  Instead, they shell out THOUSANDS, like upwards of $10K by some, to travel all summer playing baseball in everything from tournaments to these "showcase" events...and for what? 

It's my pet peeve, because it's a joke.  If ALL of the talent in Ft. Smith stayed and played local league, then it would benefit everyone.  Same for the cities in NWA.  Then have an inter league tournament or two a year, and call it a day.  The cream would still rise to the top.   

Now...we're going to see the same thing happen in football.  The local coaches say, "Yes, your son is fast, and if he just grows 3 more inches and puts on about 25 lbs, he can play major college football."  Meanwhile, he's only got the potential to grow 1", isn't fast ENOUGH, and if he puts on 25 lbs he'll be even slower.  But they gotta keep the dream alive and keep kidding themselves to the tune of thousands of dollars of debt that could go toward college funding. 

There are a LOT of parents running around with maxed credit cards from hopes and dreams for their children, when a stern slap from reality would have made everyone better off. 

SHHHHHH! I make some good money umpiring those baseball tournaments.

Seriously, I agree 100%. I have had at least 1 child in one of the leagues here in FS since 2004, and I have witnessed 1st hand the deterioration of the quality of play. Almost all of the pitching talent has been sucked out by travel ball, and by the age of 15 their arms are shot. There has not been one FS native drafted by a MLB team in I don't know how long, but FS has a dozen or so travel teams every season.

My younger son travel for one season, then I decided to do kind of what you said, I found a guy who played minor league ball, and coached in college to work with him for a few lessons and tell me what he thought. My kid still plays league ball, enjoys being with his friends, and we enjoy not being gone every weekend from March-July. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

discombobulationist

A football equivalent of AAU in basketball?   :puke: :puke: :puke:

I like college football much more than the pros, but I'm afraid this might ruin it.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

hogsanity

Quote from: discombobulationist on January 21, 2016, 03:28:15 pm
A football equivalent of AAU in basketball?   :puke: :puke: :puke:

I like college football much more than the pros, but I'm afraid this might ruin it.

Is it really going to make recruiting much dirtier than it already is? Now, if it starts to impact the quality of play, that is another story.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 03:23:45 pm

Seriously, I agree 100%. I have had at least 1 child in one of the leagues here in FS since 2004, and I have witnessed 1st hand the deterioration of the quality of play. Almost all of the pitching talent has been sucked out by travel ball, and by the age of 15 their arms are shot. There has not been one FS native drafted by a MLB team in I don't know how long, but FS has a dozen or so travel teams every season.

My younger son travel for one season, then I decided to do kind of what you said, I found a guy who played minor league ball, and coached in college to work with him for a few lessons and tell me what he thought. My kid still plays league ball, enjoys being with his friends, and we enjoy not being gone every weekend from March-July.

Exactly.  The pitching is what suffers, and if all of the kids played league ball, then they wouldn't be relied on so much to pitch so often, and the kids would ALL benefit by being able to face the best pitchers.  My argument is that so often the best talent gets stuck at pitcher, when ultimately unless they are EXCEPTIONAL, they would be better served to be working more on other positions and hitting, because they DO have the arms to play CF or SS, but they aren't learning the position well enough. 

I saw a kid get pulled from a "showcase" game in the 4th inning, and moved to left field.  He misplayed two routine fly balls.  Then an inning later a kid hit a base hit out there, and he fielded it on one hop in stride running in and fired a MLB quality throw to the plate to nail a runner.  Teach that kid how to field fly balls, and maybe you have something...but that's not how it's done in today's environment.

"To be the best, they need to face the best pitchers."  I do not question that for one second.  But if that's the PRIMARY goal, then get some accomplished CBB pitchers in to practice with them, rather than having kids their age overthrow and damage their arms on these "travel" teams and showcase events. 

I get on my soapbox on this stuff.  It's really a shame and a sham in so many ways.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 21, 2016, 03:34:44 pm
Exactly.  The pitching is what suffers, and if all of the kids played league ball, then they wouldn't be relied on so much to pitch so often, and the kids would ALL benefit by being able to face the best pitchers.  My argument is that so often the best talent gets stuck at pitcher, when ultimately unless they are EXCEPTIONAL, they would be better served to be working more on other positions and hitting, because they DO have the arms to play CF or SS, but they aren't learning the position well enough. 

I saw a kid get pulled from a "showcase" game in the 4th inning, and moved to left field.  He misplayed two routine fly balls.  Then an inning later a kid hit a base hit out there, and he fielded it on one hop in stride running in and fired a MLB quality throw to the plate to nail a runner.  Teach that kid how to field fly balls, and maybe you have something...but that's not how it's done in today's environment.

"To be the best, they need to face the best pitchers."  I do not question that for one second.  But if that's the PRIMARY goal, then get some accomplished CBB pitchers in to practice with them, rather than having kids their age overthrow and damage their arms on these "travel" teams and showcase events. 

I get on my soapbox on this stuff.  It's really a shame and a sham in so many ways.   

What I wonder about with all the 7 on 7 football stuff is how it is impacting oline play? I doubt there are oline tournaments, what are these guys doing while the "glory" positions are playing touch football all summer?

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 03:59:34 pm
What I wonder about with all the 7 on 7 football stuff is how it is impacting oline play? I doubt there are oline tournaments, what are these guys doing while the "glory" positions are playing touch football all summer?

The same thing they've done the past years while their team played in 7 on 7 tournaments, cheer.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 03:23:45 pm

Craig Gentry played for Fort Smith Christian and i'm pretty sure he got drafted after playing for the Hogs.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 03:59:34 pm

What I wonder is...will football even exist as we know it after the next few generations?  I'm sure when they stopped the gladiators and some of the other sports that ended in death, there were people who were convinced they would be around forever.

It's being taught now to lead with your shoulder, head up and to the side, and wrap up when tackling.  It's actually probably a more efficient way to tackle, and eventually it will result in less trauma to the head.  But...it's still a brutal sport not only for the head trauma, but for the toll it takes on the guys' bodies to walk around at over 300 lbs, as well as other injuries that ultimately leave them crippled (See Dan Hampton). 

I love watching football, and I love a defensive struggle.  Guess what? Most people prefer watching Baylor play Texas Tech, and really...when you think about it...that's a style of football that is a lot closer to 7 on 7 than some realize.  I could easily see where ultimately, it morphs into something more like 7 on 7 as the preferred sport, but not in my lifetime.  But, if CTE is as prevalent as suggested, we will start to see MANY more people coming forward with their stories, and it will start to give legislation a stronger foothold.     

bphi11ips

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 21, 2016, 02:53:32 pm

Would you take that twitter out of your sig line?  I forget it's old and it gives me a heart attack every time. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Dumb ole famrboy

I've posted it before. The University should make 7 on 7 a spring scholarship varsity sport. Get 12 extra weeks of spring football practice and 30 more football scholarships.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on January 21, 2016, 04:08:56 pm
Craig Gentry played for Fort Smith Christian and i'm pretty sure he got drafted after playing for the Hogs.

he is from Van Buren.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 04:41:25 pm
he is from Van Buren.

Yes he was.  I was just taking his "Fort Smith" as a general area.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on January 21, 2016, 04:44:20 pm
Yes he was.  I was just taking his "Fort Smith" as a general area.

I was speaking of FS itself. Van Buren has had a handful of mlb draftees the last few years. Gentry, Brandon Moore, Tyler Spoon, and I think 1 or 2 more. I really can't remember the last FS kid who got drafted.

31to6

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on January 21, 2016, 04:28:10 pm
I've posted it before. The University should make 7 on 7 a spring scholarship varsity sport. Get 12 extra weeks of spring football practice and 30 more football scholarships.
ha... funny.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If a player with a scholarship plays football it counts as a football scholarship.

Without that rule Alabama would have 36 mens varsity sports.

Darren DeLoach

Thankfully we now have a head coach that is savvy and competent enough to take advantage of the changing college football landscape.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

clutch

They are already doing 8 man football in a lot of high schools in places like Oklahoma.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: clutch on January 21, 2016, 10:06:47 pm
They are already doing 8 man football in a lot of high schools in places like Oklahoma.

8-man is full-contact with pads. 7 on 7 is two-hand touch. 7 on 7 is a joke.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhog1 on January 21, 2016, 01:39:23 pm
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/nike-7-on-7-national-league/
Nike is starting a national 7on7 league. I don't see any way this could be a good thing. The last thing college football needs is a shady aau style league making recruiting even worse. Hopefully the  NCAA can ban players from participating in this.

Simple solution....Ban all recruiting activity or even attendance by coaches of any school official affiliated with the NCAA at any event or league other than official high school sponsored events. That's the way it already should have been in all other sports. Don't even let the stats for those leagues be included in a recruitable athletes recruiting Resume' sent to the school by recruiting services.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhog1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2016, 07:29:38 am
Simple solution....Ban all recruiting activity or even attendance by coaches of any school official affiliated with the NCAA at any event or league other than official high school sponsored events. That's the way it already should have been in all other sports. Don't even let the stats for those leagues be included in a recruitable athletes recruiting Resume' sent to the school by recruiting services.
That wouldn't keep the shady street agents who populate the AAU circuit out of these. I don't see any way a national 7on7 league doesn't go bad. 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2016, 02:52:47 pm
The future of football is 7 on 7

that's the most asinine statement of the new year

BPsTheMan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 21, 2016, 03:16:21 pm

good post

The funny thing is there are a multitude of "failures" who miss because they simply don't have the heart, and they're timid.

Two good examples that made it with the Hogs are Anthony Antwine and Drew Morgan. They both made it because they're tough as hell, not because of "3 more inches and 25 pounds." Antwine had to walkon. Skinny and a rail, but worked and added some weight, but again the key... tough as hell.

You either have a mentality to play college ball, or you don't. Most don't.

clutch

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 22, 2016, 05:51:31 am
8-man is full-contact with pads. 7 on 7 is two-hand touch. 7 on 7 is a joke.

I know, but I've always saw the 8 man as just a step towards 7 on 7. First limit the number of players, then the contact.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: clutch on January 22, 2016, 01:09:43 pm
I know, but I've always saw the 8 man as just a step towards 7 on 7. First limit the number of players, then the contact.

There are a couple of small private schools here in the Memphis area that play 8-man football.  I know because I've officiated quite a few of their games.  It's surprisingly similar to 11 man ball.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: clutch on January 22, 2016, 01:09:43 pm

The 2 could not be more different. 8 man football is still full contact, just with 3 fewer players per team. It is played to help schools in some a few states field football teams because they are just that desperate to play football. A Arkansas private school, Union Christian in Fort Smith, just announced they are leaving the AAA to join the Oklahoma Christian School conference so they can play 8 man football. Union only fields about 14 kids per year for football and they just can't play 11 man. Arkansas for years has needed 8 man for the small schools that feel they have to play football, but just can not field competitive numbers of kids.

7 on 7 is simply a showcase for Qb's and Receivers, and allows db's to practice against said receivers.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2016, 04:45:28 pm
I was speaking of FS itself. Van Buren has had a handful of mlb draftees the last few years. Gentry, Brandon Moore, Tyler Spoon, and I think 1 or 2 more. I really can't remember the last FS kid who got drafted.

My apologies then.  I can't think of a FS kid that has gotten drafted recently.

311Hog

watching pass skeleton drills from practice holds no interest for me.  I guess since im a former OL that is why i could care less about skill position guys in shorts and helmets tossing the ball around like in practice.  That isnt football, it is probably the least football thing in football.  extra point practice is more football than 7 on 7...

Inhogswetrust

January 22, 2016, 02:40:12 pm #33 Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:52:26 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: rhog1 on January 22, 2016, 07:57:28 am
That wouldn't keep the shady street agents who populate the AAU circuit out of these. I don't see any way a national 7on7 league doesn't go bad. 

I was also thinking do the same ban and restrictions for the AAU or ANY outside organization that is NOT an official high school sponsored and played unit.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 22, 2016, 08:13:22 am
good post

The funny thing is there are a multitude of "failures" who miss because they simply don't have the heart, and they're timid.

Two good examples that made it with the Hogs are Anthony Antwine and Drew Morgan. They both made it because they're tough as hell, not because of "3 more inches and 25 pounds." Antwine had to walkon. Skinny and a rail, but worked and added some weight, but again the key... tough as hell.

You either have a mentality to play college ball, or you don't. Most don't.

Hey, a kid who's working relentlessly away from practice, and shows obvious signs of consistent improvement despite being behind some of the more gifted players...that's a different scenario.  I'm talking about the kids who are playing video games when they aren't at organized practice, and never consider an extra trip to the batting cage to work on their hitting.  Then there are those who have parents who MAKE them go, and they whine every time they have to take another turn in the cage.  THOSE are the ones who aren't going to make it, yet their parents continue to fork over cash in some unrealistic dream.   

But Drew Morgan...that dude was nails in HS.  Yes...undersized for sure, but hyper talented.  He was as elusive as anyone I've ever seen play HS football.  I also predicted he wouldn't look like that at the collegiate level, because the defenders are much faster.  But...I was thrilled when we finally offered, because I thought he had D1 talent, and he's proven that he does. 

I'm not suggesting there aren't Cinderella stories out there.  But...those kids have a work ethic and desire that's above and beyond.  It takes that AND some talent.     

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2016, 03:50:46 pm

.  It takes that AND some talent.     

That is key. Some kids, no matter how hard they work, just do not have the talent to play past a certain level. I loved basketball, but no matter how much I worked I was still 5'9", 150lbs with a vertical of about nothing. I could shoot lights out from deep, but did not have the foot skills to make my own room, etc.

What you are describing is what I would call a tweener. Almost having the physical characteristics  coaches are looking for, but able to make up for slight physical shortcomings with hard work and toughness.

Smokehouse

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 21, 2016, 04:12:50 pm
What I wonder is...will football even exist as we know it after the next few generations?  I'm sure when they stopped the gladiators and some of the other sports that ended in death, there were people who were convinced they would be around forever.

It's being taught now to lead with your shoulder, head up and to the side, and wrap up when tackling.  It's actually probably a more efficient way to tackle, and eventually it will result in less trauma to the head.  But...it's still a brutal sport not only for the head trauma, but for the toll it takes on the guys' bodies to walk around at over 300 lbs, as well as other injuries that ultimately leave them crippled (See Dan Hampton). 

I love watching football, and I love a defensive struggle.  Guess what? Most people prefer watching Baylor play Texas Tech, and really...when you think about it...that's a style of football that is a lot closer to 7 on 7 than some realize.  I could easily see where ultimately, it morphs into something more like 7 on 7 as the preferred sport, but not in my lifetime.  But, if CTE is as prevalent as suggested, we will start to see MANY more people coming forward with their stories, and it will start to give legislation a stronger foothold.     

I think boxing is a closer example than the gladiators. The betting money alone could keep substantial interest in the upper levels of competition, but the total number of eyes on the sport could drop quickly and take the floor out for a lot of the sport.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 22, 2016, 05:01:07 pm
I think boxing is a closer example than the gladiators. The betting money alone could keep substantial interest in the upper levels of competition, but the total number of eyes on the sport could drop quickly and take the floor out for a lot of the sport.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of an abolished gruesome barbaric sport.  There have been plenty of others.  Remember, boxing was bare knuckles for a long time before boxing gloves.  Then it was trimmed down from 15 rounds.  So there has been some effort to try to limit the danger, but it's still an inherently dangerous sport. 

We have a society where cops write tickets for people not wearing their seatbelt.  Yet we don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets in Arkansas and many other states.  That just goes to show that there's no rhyme or reason to how things are decided when it comes to safety.     

ChicoHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 21, 2016, 02:53:32 pm
LOL!  Post of the day!