Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Video for you young guys who missed the late '80s vs hated Texas.

Started by Country Stylz, January 20, 2016, 03:52:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Stylz

Watch the way Grovey ran the flexbone like a magician. Barry Foster, Steve Atwater, Wayne Martin and the boys. Also notice the Texas Refs try to stick it to us a couple times. They did that every week. Short video. You don't have to watch. Just thought some would appreciate our Conference Championship days, which are soon to return.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

That Barry Foster fumble looked to me like it occured after he was down.
Typical UT screwjob.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

kp72204

Wow we got screwed. Game shouldn't have been close. We're we close to any national championships during the 80's

Country Stylz

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: kp72204 on January 20, 2016, 04:31:44 pm
Wow we got screwed. Game shouldn't have been close. We're we close to any national championships during the 80's

Might have been in '82 but got the phantom PI call against SMU that let them tie the game at 17.  Played like crap against Texas the next week due to the hangover.

Horthawg

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 20, 2016, 05:16:47 pm
Might have been in '82 but got the phantom PI call against SMU that let them tie the game at 17.  Played like crap against Texas the next week due to the hangover.

I believe that ref was never allowed to work a SWC game again. Paid off by $mu boosters I'm sure.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Horthawg on January 21, 2016, 07:22:00 am
I believe that ref was never allowed to work a SWC game again. Paid off by $mu boosters I'm sure.

Yep Lou got him canned and banned.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

This is a sore spot for me.

After the huge 42-11 game in Fayetteville (1981), Arkansas did not win again at home against the Longhorns until 1991, the last Arkansas-Texas meeting before the Hogs left for the SEC.

Hatfield's Razorbacks lost to Texas at home in 1985 (15-13), 1987 (16-14), and 1989 (24-20).

Each time, Arkansas had the superior team but went into a conservative shell, wasted too many possessions, and blew winnable games when the Horns were far from mighty.

If Hatfield simply had won the Texas games he should have won, he never would have had a disenchanted fan base (and more importantly, unhappy boss). It was as though the pressure made him coach those games differently than all others.
[CENSORED]!

regi

Great memories, better uniforms. Combine todays helmet with that jersey and pants combo Nike. Is it that hard?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 20, 2016, 04:24:33 pm
Typical UT screwjob.

Welcome to the Texas-Arkansas rivalry.

My dad always used to say "watch where the refs spot the ball when we play Texas." He asserted that Texas would gain another 50+ yards per game just on bad spots.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 21, 2016, 09:40:51 am
This is a sore spot for me.

After the huge 42-11 game in Fayetteville (1981), Arkansas did not win again at home against the Longhorns until 1991, the last Arkansas-Texas meeting before the Hogs left for the SEC.

Hatfield's Razorbacks lost to Texas at home in 1985 (15-13), 1987 (16-14), and 1989 (24-20).

Each time, Arkansas had the superior team but went into a conservative shell, wasted too many possessions, and blew winnable games when the Horns were far from mighty.

If Hatfield simply had won the Texas games he should have won, he never would have had a disenchanted fan base (and more importantly, unhappy boss). It was as though the pressure made him coach those games differently than all others.

Very True losing like he did to Texas was his undoing at UA !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Torqued pork

We didn't attempt a single pass in the 2nd half of the '87 Texas game if I remember correctly. Hatfield said our QB was playing with a bad shoulder. Apparently he didn't feel comfortable playing our backup.

texhog22

It hurt in that stretch we had to go without James Rouse. If I remember correctly Rouse broke his leg or something and after that it was Barry Foster and Joe Johnson getting the load. Rouse was one of those backs that should have done more. Showed absolute flashes of greatness.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: texhog22 on January 21, 2016, 09:06:59 pm
It hurt in that stretch we had to go without James Rouse. If I remember correctly Rouse broke his leg or something and after that it was Barry Foster and Joe Johnson getting the load. Rouse was one of those backs that should have done more. Showed absolute flashes of greatness.

In my memory I sometimes get James Rouse and Cedric Cobbs mixed up.  Both were from Little Rock, would have been 5 star recruits if the star system existed back then, both had very fine careers at UA but it just seemed they both could have done so much more.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

KennyForAD

Quote from: regi on January 21, 2016, 11:01:59 am
Great memories, better uniforms. Combine todays helmet with that jersey and pants combo Nike. Is it that hard?

Right!  Or just go with the throwbacks they wore against Bama in 2014.  Best they ever looked.  The silly tusk things on jersey and pants is just awful.

upperdeck_hawg

Typical UT screwjob.

There was a strip fumble on the UT qb at their 10 yd line that was called an incomplete pass too.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

PorkSoda

wow, first time I've got to see quinn grovey in action.  now I see why he was so popular.  he was a gamer.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 22, 2016, 01:15:41 pm
wow, first time I've got to see quinn grovey in action.  now I see why he was so popular.  he was a gamer.

Yes he was.  One of the things I've always hated is that we were so bad his senior year.  Our defense was like last in the NCAA and we had lost a lot of our playmakers too.  Quinn got so beat up that year, I felt sorry for him.  But his sophomore and junior years he ran that offense flawlessly and actually turned himself into a very effective passer.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ThisTeetsTaken

Typical UT screwjob.
So was the "incomplete pass" that was really a sack/fumble.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2016, 08:11:55 am
In my memory I sometimes get James Rouse and Cedric Cobbs mixed up.  Both were from Little Rock, would have been 5 star recruits if the star system existed back then, both had very fine careers at UA but it just seemed they both could have done so much more.
I thought Cobbs best game was his last year against Bama.  Had like 40 carries and just ran over everyone.   His 2000 Cotton Bowl was good too.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I'd love to see the Hogs put an option package in our offence.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Snizzzo

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 22, 2016, 09:14:10 am
Right!  Or just go with the throwbacks they wore against Bama in 2014.  Best they ever looked.  The silly tusk things on jersey and pants is just awful.

I thought those '64 throwbacks were phenomenal!

As for Hatfield, he was a HECK of a coach.  He won 10 games 3 of his 6 years here, but had typical vocal morons dissolutioned.  As far as being more talented than Texas, that happened very infrequently.  The fact that we could match up talent wise, is because of Hatfield recruiting players for his system and development.  This program was very steady until he was basically run off.

Farmer Hogget

I think Ken Hatfield's undoing at Arkansas was a combination of fans who were not happy winning 75% of the games the Razorbacks played because Ken Hatfield was not Jimmy Johnson, and jealousy of Frank Broyles because Ken Hatfield was winning 75% of his games.  SO, Frank, wanting to feel important or something, kept insisting Ken change assistant coaches.  Ken refused then proceeded to go to the Cotton Bowl twice before leaving for Clemson, which was a step down back in the day.  Ken was sick and tired of Frank's meddling so he left.  AND, BTW, Quinn Grovey was ridiculed by Razorback fans who said he couldn't throw the football and was just a "game manager."

There was also the thing about Ken Hatfield quoting Scripture on his coach's show.  Because, gosh!, that's highly offensive, right?  If he had quoted the Koran, that would most likely have been acceptable. ;)

Torqued pork

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on January 23, 2016, 12:38:38 am
I think Ken Hatfield's undoing at Arkansas was a combination of fans who were not happy winning 75% of the games the Razorbacks played because Ken Hatfield was not Jimmy Johnson, and jealousy of Frank Broyles because Ken Hatfield was winning 75% of his games.  SO, Frank, wanting to feel important or something, kept insisting Ken change assistant coaches.  Ken refused then proceeded to go to the Cotton Bowl twice before leaving for Clemson, which was a step down back in the day.  Ken was sick and tired of Frank's meddling so he left.  AND, BTW, Quinn Grovey was ridiculed by Razorback fans who said he couldn't throw the football and was just a "game manager."

There was also the thing about Ken Hatfield quoting Scripture on his coach's show.  Because, gosh!, that's highly offensive, right?  If he had quoted the Koran, that would most likely have been acceptable. ;)
Are you related to Delta Boy?

Hoggish1

truf

The Divine Swine

Frank Broyles was masterful in how he grew our brand as AD. With that said, I do believe there is merit in the statements by some that he was quick to find fault with coaches if they rivaled his success as a coach. Dont get me wrong, I think he is great, but definitely flawed in some regards.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Torqued pork

Broyles left a talent behind that went 10-1 and beat OU in the Orange Bowl the next year. If he had such a colossal ego he could've kept his coaching whistle on and further enhanced his coaching record. The talent was there and Broyles knew it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 22, 2016, 01:22:25 pm
I thought Cobbs best game was his last year against Bama.  Had like 40 carries and just ran over everyone.   His 2000 Cotton Bowl was good too.
the Kentucky 6 OT game. He told me they shot him up with 20 mgs of percocet in the 2nd half. He was so messed up that they were saying "run right, Ced" after the play call as they left the huddle. Anyway, he ran like a man possessed!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Biggus Piggus

Grovey was never ridiculed by anyone. Your "game manager" comment was completely invented by you alone. Never happened, ever.

The offensive thing about Hatfield saying "Jesus wept" after the Texas game was the notion that religion of any kind was involved in the outcome of a football game. Like he was favored over the other guys because of how devout he was.

Broyles insisted that Hatfield not carry substandard assistants who were underperforming. If that's what you call Frank wanting to feel important, well, you're intentionally lying about what really happened. Why you're doing that is the question.

The one true part here is the part about Hatfield being tired of Broyles's meddling.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

Those close loses to Texas  and the Blow out by the U opened the door for Frank to put the push on.  Frank was scared a few more years of Ken and Ken would have became more popular than Frank ever was and he just could not take the thought of that happening.

Torqued pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 25, 2016, 10:11:39 am
Those close loses to Texas  and the Blow out by the U opened the door for Frank to put the push on.  Frank was scared a few more years of Ken and Ken would have became more popular than Frank ever was and he just could not take the thought of that happening.
Hatfield wasn't close to winning a national championship. His record against ranked teams was lousy. It was obvious to those who could look beyond how likable Ken was that the Hogs had reached their ceiling under him. Letting his personal friendships with assistants trump improving his staff didn't sit well with Broyles either.

Predictably, Clemson fans turned against Hatfield fairly quickly.

Country Stylz

Exactly right on the unis.

Country Stylz

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 25, 2016, 10:36:04 am
Hatfield wasn't close to winning a national championship. His record against ranked teams was lousy. It was obvious to those who could look beyond how likable Ken was that the Hogs had reached their ceiling under him. Letting his personal friendships with assistants trump improving his staff didn't sit well with Broyles either.

Predictably, Clemson fans turned against Hatfield fairly quickly.
To say Hatfield wasn't close to a NC isn't true. You remember going down to Miami at the end of the season. Both teams undefeated. Atwater drops an int allowing the canes to take the lead late in the 4th? What happens if we win that game?

Torqued pork

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 26, 2016, 12:50:20 pm
To say Hatfield wasn't close to a NC isn't true. You remember going down to Miami at the end of the season. Both teams undefeated. Atwater drops an int allowing the canes to take the lead late in the 4th? What happens if we win that game?
But we didn't win that game and then lost to UCLA in the Cotton Bowl with 42 total yards of offense for the entire game.

Country Stylz

If that was your first time watching Grovey then you should watch this one. We were coming off a heartbreaking loss to Texas. Houston, behind Heisman winner Andre Ware had just scored 95 points on SMU. Everyone assumed we were toast. 

Country Stylz

And this one was toward the end of that '89 season. At Texas A&M for the conference championship. One of my favorites of all time. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 26, 2016, 01:04:05 pm
If that was your first time watching Grovey then you should watch this one. We We're coming off a heartbreaking loss to Texas and Houston, behind Heisman winner Andre Ware had just scored 95 points on SMU. Everyone assumed we were toast. 

The Win over Houston was one for the ages.