Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench-Looking Ahead to What is in Store for Razorback Football

Started by Robert Shields, January 18, 2016, 11:13:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rmcchris

Ok I learned a lot. The tailback must block. Come on man. Epic #hit I mean Shields.

DeltaBoy

Good reading folks.   I can't wait till the Spring Game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

The_Iceman

swinemaster

Reading this guy's articles is like watching a bad American Idol audition.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 18, 2016, 12:43:34 pm
The 2014 defense was pretty stout partner.  They ranked pretty high nationally, but I can't recall where.  Also, there was nothing after the 2013 season to indicate we would field a stout defense in 2014, and I'm hoping the same holds true next season and we see dramatic improvement with all of the players we have returning. 

TCU loses a LOT more than we do.  I'm not sure what they have waiting in the wings, so it's hard to say how we should fare, but I think we'll have a great shot at them. 

Also...we have owned LSU, and what makes you think they're going to improve by leaps and bounds next season?  Is there a QB we're unaware of who can actually play?   

LSU will return lots of talented players.  Unlike years past, they're only losing one underclassman player I think to the NFL draft (OT Jerald Hawkins).  As much fun as it is to laugh at Les Miles and think he's an idiot, he hasn't accidentally won about 10 games per season.  He's a good coach and a great recruiter.  They're likely to reel in the #1 class in the nation and will be stockpiled with talent.  At least 4 of those recruits will be spring enrollees.

They'll have Fournette back, and while Brandon Harris isn't a world beater, he won't be learning any playbooks, either.  He'll be very comfortable with whatever LSU is going to do.  WR Travin Dural is coming back.  LSU is going to have 9 starters back on defense. 

LSU will enter the 2016 season as the favorite to win the West.

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2016, 11:26:27 am
La Tech loses Jeff Driskel, Kenneth Dixon and another dozen senior starters.  TCU is not a perennial power.  They're an up and down program on a good run because of Gary Patterson a favorable location.  They lose more than the Hogs, also.

College Game Day in Fayetteville October 8.

They lose more than the hogs but they have a lot more to lose and still be good.  TCU is going to truck us.  We might be the 7th or 8th best team in the Big 12, maybe.

Tmac813

BPsTheMan

https://twitter.com/Robert1Shields?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

http://prettylittlebookhead.blogspot.com/2012/10/diminishing-paige-by-robert-shields.html

Diminishing Paige
By Robert Shields

"She leaned over and kissed him on the mouth totally catching him by surprise. Her warm lips erased any symptoms of being cold on the bridge, yet she froze him in place. It was wonderful, but it was over in a flash and he thought, "I never kissed her back."

"A fool knows the price of everything and the value of nothing is the romantic theme between Paige Wheeler and Storm Lancaster. The intelligent high school expellees serendipitously meet at a garage sale and end up approaching sex in an awkward text book fashion. They start viewing the relationship through the lens of economics as if sex was a commodity. As they grow closer together, Paige's promiscuous past comes to light that haunts her, which leads to complications in their relationship. Storm's ineptness in handling the pressures of a relationship from previously attending an all-boys school causes problems while Paige finds some amusement in his immaturity. Her sterilized view of sex creates consternation for Storm over their rapport. At their new school, they make a mutual friend in Jamal. The trio engages in pranks as their friendship with him develops. Storm's proclivity as an adolescent male leads to poor decisions with Paige as Jamal, often the voice of reason and conscience is ignored to the detriment of the couple. Emotions spin out of control after a frolicking camping trip with Paige's old high-school buddies and the sexual economics experiment explodes

BPsTheMan

a middle aged man writing about high school teenagers sex lives

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 19, 2016, 07:22:18 pm
a middle aged man writing about high school teenagers sex lives

Next thing he'll be following recruits on twitter, debil I tell you.....

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenEGnHAWGS

Oh my...I just now clicked on the links. Can we not get this guy banned?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenEGnHAWGS

greenEGnHAWGS

The Kig

Tried not to read, but did...again.

Would be pleasantly surprised if we win more than 6 regular season games next year.  7 is possible, with some good bounces... 8, well I haven't been smoking enough to see that.  We return almost entirely the biggest weakness of this team, the D.  We lose the bulk of our offensive production (with a 5th yr signal caller that had a record setting year).  As far as I can tell our special teams isn't going to be much better than this year.  If we find a way to another 5-3 SEC record,  CBB should get SEC Coach of the Year. 

Main bright spots, the D and ST can't be much worse... Right?   
Poker Porker

greenEGnHAWGS

I don't think I can open From the Bench any more and not read his articles after seeing the books that he has written...it's just ruined it for me...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 19, 2016, 09:02:16 am
LSU will return lots of talented players.  Unlike years past, they're only losing one underclassman player I think to the NFL draft (OT Jerald Hawkins).  As much fun as it is to laugh at Les Miles and think he's an idiot, he hasn't accidentally won about 10 games per season.  He's a good coach and a great recruiter.  They're likely to reel in the #1 class in the nation and will be stockpiled with talent.  At least 4 of those recruits will be spring enrollees.

They'll have Fournette back, and while Brandon Harris isn't a world beater, he won't be learning any playbooks, either.  He'll be very comfortable with whatever LSU is going to do.  WR Travin Dural is coming back.  LSU is going to have 9 starters back on defense. 

LSU will enter the 2016 season as the favorite to win the West.

Their fans go ballistic when they lose to us for a reason.  A season does not go by that they don't field a more talented team than we do.  I get it if they were playing lights out and still having to go through Bama every year, and that is what was holding them back.  But...that's not the case.  They lose to a few teams that they shouldn't lose to almost every year.   

I just think with that talent, Les Miles is underachieving.  Next season may be the year that it all comes together for them, but they're ranked in the top 5-10 EVERY season, so when it does happen again, it will likely be because they have such overwhelming talent that Les Miles can't sneak in a few losses to teams he shouldn't be losing to.  That's my opinion, and I'm perfectly fine with you and others disagreeing.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2016, 09:25:25 pm
I don't think I can open From the Bench any more and not read his articles after seeing the books that he has written...it's just ruined it for me...

You realize you can choose what post to read. Shields is between the ears of more people here than Gus is. For someone who doesn't like his post, you sure clogged it up with post. Robert is in your head, chalk up a win for him.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on January 20, 2016, 09:33:27 am
You realize you can choose what post to read. Shields is between the ears of more people here than Gus is. For someone who doesn't like his post, you sure clogged it up with post. Robert is in your head, chalk up a win for him.

Ha ha...you realize most Robert Shield posts are simply a place to bring/find amusement. Hence, my previous responses regarding what somebody else posted.

HotlantaHog

I don't understand why all the people who consistently hate Robert Shields's columns click on them at all. I am not the biggest fan or the biggest detractor. Some I like and some I don't. But for those who consistently hate, why are they clicking on and commenting? Makes zero sense.

ricepig

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 20, 2016, 11:00:34 am
I don't understand why all the people who consistently hate Robert Shields's columns click on them at all. I am not the biggest fan or the biggest detractor. Some I like and some I don't. But for those who consistently hate, why are they clicking on and commenting? Makes zero sense.

It's a tradition...

Hawgar The Horrible

It's not a column. It's some guy logging onto a message board every Monday morning and portraying to be a columnist.

That, IMO, is warped to the point of being creepy. Especially considering all the abuse Shields endures for it.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

urkillnmesmalls

Well, there's a softball down the middle...

Recycled information (Mostly stuff he reads on Hogville from what I can glean) 
Incorrect information (He has a habit of using stats to make a point, only they are completely wrong)
Poor grammar
No proof reading
Egocentric - He never responds to the posters who DO READ the column and refute his opinions or want to foster a discussion.  It's a hit and run situation where he makes the post as some sort of authoritative figure, and we're just lucky to be honored to get a digital copy of his newspaper column that he submits every week.  I think it's on the back page of the Star City Swap Meet Weekly.  He did actually post once to make claims about what papers do print it each week, and that was hilarious.  I can't even remember where it was, but I think Malvern was one of them.   

The reality is he's a blogger who just makes one post on Hogville on Monday.  Then I guess he sits back like all of us to see the GIF's people come up with so he can get a good laugh.  That's honestly all I can figure, because he gets blasted every week.

I think it's nice for you to take up for him.  Maybe he'll offer you a free copy of his girls' bathroom gossip book.   ;D   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 20, 2016, 11:21:20 am
It's not a column. It's some guy logging onto a message board every Monday morning and portraying to be a columnist.

That, IMO, is warped to the point of being creepy. Especially considering all the abuse Shields endures for it.

This. And my biggest issue is he doesn't try to come to discuss anything. He posts and probably just lurks around to watch what everyone had to say about his "column", good or bad.

I can do the exact same thing Bob does. Will that make me a columnist?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 20, 2016, 12:36:10 pm
This. And my biggest issue is he doesn't try to come to discuss anything. He posts and probably just lurks around to watch what everyone had to say about his "column", good or bad.

I can do the exact same thing Bob does. Will that make me a columnist?

No.  You'll need to write a few books about women and teenage sex before you can make that claim sir.   8)

hogcard1964

Quote from: elksnort on January 18, 2016, 12:57:35 pm
The day we actually beat Florida is when I will finally believe it.

yeah yeah, I know. We beat them in the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1982.

They have nothing on offense and their coach is a stroke.  We'll beat the Miss out of them.

hogcard1964

+1000

...and the ones that claim they don't read them, do.

It's old and not funny.  A lot like Bill Murray.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 20, 2016, 01:38:56 pm
+1000

So...only click/comment in threads that you know you will 100% agree with and like. Got it...

And you're right. I begin reading EVERY Robert Shields article...but I VERY rarely can finish them.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 20, 2016, 01:38:56 pm
+1000

You mean like how you come here and pretend to be a Hog fan, but then take every opportunity to patronize all of the HV members with your actual undying love for Bama when push comes to shove?  That would be like being a Texas fan, but also spending time on the TAMU, or OU board. 

BPsTheMan

I pointed out that he writes fictional stories about high school kids' sex lives

His words - not ours

But by all means keep defending him

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2016, 07:56:03 pm
Oh my...I just now clicked on the links. Can we not get this guy banned?

Won't ever happen.  He has pics of Lanny in a mankini.

BPsTheMan

hogcard64, since you're an ardent defender, would you at least agree every Shields column should be accompanied by the Pretty In Pink soundtrack?

It's a fair question!

Since Molly Ringwald is in her late 40's, that way we could all feel a little more normal about reading the author in question

In other words, things would seem less perverted.

Let us know your call on this.

code red

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2016, 11:26:27 am
La Tech loses Jeff Driskel, Kenneth Dixon and another dozen senior starters.  TCU is not a perennial power.  They're an up and down program on a good run because of Gary Patterson a favorable location.  They lose more than the Hogs, also.

College Game Day in Fayetteville October 8.
Aggies beg to differ and until we beat them.....so do I.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LZH

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 20, 2016, 06:47:41 pm
I pointed out that he writes fictional stories about high school kids' sex lives

His words - not ours

But by all means keep defending him

I like high school sex stories.

What?......what'd I say?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 20, 2016, 07:09:48 pm
hogcard64, since you're an ardent defender, would you at least agree every Shields column should be accompanied by the Pretty In Pink soundtrack?

It's a fair question!

Since Molly Ringwald is in her late 40's, that way we could all feel a little more normal about reading the author in question

In other words, things would seem less perverted.

Let us know your call on this.

If your into homely, pre pubescent red heads, the only people stopping you, would be local authorities.

bphi11ips

Quote from: swinemaster on January 19, 2016, 09:01:40 am
Reading this guy's articles is like watching a bad American Idol audition.

What do you think drives Idols' ratings for the auditions?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

It's very funny to me that if you hate Robert Shields so much that you click on his threads and read them just to complain about them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 21, 2016, 08:43:35 am
It's very funny to me that if you hate Robert Shields so much that you click on his threads and read them just to complain about them.

HE CAN BE TAUGHT!
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

There's an element of insecurity in the Shields bashers' ridicule.

urkillnmesmalls

Nobody "hates" him that I'm aware of.  That's a little out of left field Delta.  We just think what he writes is generally comical, and the responses are definitely comical.  I laugh every time at the GIF's and comments. 

I read his posts (not articles)....well, admittedly sometimes I skim if it's really boring.  I can dislike the content and comment right?  It's by virtue of the fact that he never comes back to have any sort of discussion that's perhaps the most comical. 

He should at least show up from time to time to thank you for your kind words, and he doesn't even do that.  And you're his biggest, and from what I can tell, only fan!!!   ;) 

Doug

Quote from: bphi11ipsThere's an element of insecurity in the Shields bashers' ridicule.
Great blanket statement. For all of us that loves continuing the tradition we do in a Wobble Shards thread, not every one of us has insecurity issues, as you infer.

Unless you have gone Sigmund Freud on us, don't make blanket statements without having facts. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hogcard1964

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 20, 2016, 05:13:17 pm
You mean like how you come here and pretend to be a Hog fan, but then take every opportunity to patronize all of the HV members with your actual undying love for Bama when push comes to shove?  That would be like being a Texas fan, but also spending time on the TAMU, or OU board.

First and foremost I am a Hog fan. I've also never hidden the fact that my 2nd team is Bama.

ricepig

Quote from: Doug on January 21, 2016, 12:12:50 pm
Great blanket statement. For all of us that loves continuing the tradition we do in a Wobble Shards thread, not every one of us has insecurity issues, as you infer.

Unless you have gone Sigmund Freud on us, don't make blanket statements without having facts. :)

Well, the writing is terrible, the facts are generally wrong, but gifs are legendary!

MrKnowItAll

They must be Yankee carpetbaggers!

scruf

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2016, 12:37:33 pm
Well, the writing is terrible, the facts are generally wrong, but gifs are legendary!

Rob expresses himself better than 90% of Hogville posters.  His facts are no more generally wrong than most journalists.  His weekly post beats much of the amateur blog material often posted here as gospel. 

I get Doug's comment about tradition.  My understanding is that Rob knows Lanny and some of the other mods.  Lanny himself has stated here that Rob is one of his favorite posters.  Some of the "who is Rob Shields" replies may be in fun.  Whatever, Rob has a very thick skin.  He also has had the gumption to syndicate his own work, and that's where I believe many who make fun of him show their insecurity.  It takes far bigger balls to put your work out there the way he does than to join the pack making fun of him.