Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench-Looking Ahead to What is in Store for Razorback Football

Started by Robert Shields, January 18, 2016, 11:13:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

DoctorSusscrofa

I couldn't be a part of any hog board that didn't have writers I make sure I never read. It would be no fun if I couldn't regularly say I forgot to read his column.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2016, 01:30:27 pm
Rob expresses himself better than 90% of Hogville posters.  His facts are no more generally wrong than most journalists.  His weekly post beats much of the amateur blog material often posted here as gospel. 

I get Doug's comment about tradition.  My understanding is that Rob knows Lanny and some of the other mods.  Lanny himself has stated here that Rob is one of his favorite posters.  Some of the "who is Rob Shields" replies may be in fun.  Whatever, Rob has a very thick skin.  He also has had the gumption to syndicate his own work, and that's where I believe many who make fun of him show their insecurity.  It takes far bigger balls to put your work out there the way he does than to join the pack making fun of him.

That's no hat hanger my friend.   ;)    I'll just ask this, and tell me what you think.  If you saw a poster go from thread to thread posting their opinion, and that's all you got was just that one post per thread that was purely opinion based, and then he never replied to anyone with a correction, or differing viewpoint, how would you view that poster?  Are they a board participant, or just someone who posts on the board to admire their work?

Take it a step further.  What if the board was nothing but single posts by members?  Just one post, and no discussion afterward.  Would you even visit it? 

That's what RS's view of the board is.  He posts ONE time every week.  He's not a participant.  That's why people poke fun at him.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 21, 2016, 03:53:09 pm
That's no hat hanger my friend.   ;)    I'll just ask this, and tell me what you think.  If you saw a poster go from thread to thread posting their opinion, and that's all you got was just that one post per thread that was purely opinion based, and then he never replied to anyone with a correction, or differing viewpoint, how would you view that poster?  Are they a board participant, or just someone who posts on the board to admire their work?

Take it a step further.  What if the board was nothing but single posts by members?  Just one post, and no discussion afterward.  Would you even visit it? 

That's what RS's view of the board is.  He posts ONE time every week.  He's not a participant.  That's why people poke fun at him.       

I don't disagree that Rob seldom participates in discussion.  If I were him I'd defend my opinion.  But his opinions are more often than not better reasoned than the average poster's.  I certainly don't always agree with him.  His comment this week about a blocking back is an example.  I hope Whaley can block, but I know he can gain 1,000 yards in 2016.

Maybe Rob just doesn't like to fight.  Or maybe he is smarter than we are and does something more productive with his time than argue with knuckleheads on Hogville.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2016, 03:00:45 pm
Amazing. I never knew anyone could misread a post as badly as you misread Robert's.
ohhhh, this ought to be good

PP

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Robert Shields on January 18, 2016, 11:13:47 am
Looking Ahead to What is in Store for Razorback Football Next Season

Robert Shields

Now that the college football season is over, we look ahead for what is in store for the Razorbacks. Much like this past season, the schedule is not kind as right off the bat the Razorbacks face an improved Louisiana Tech and then perennial power a rebuiding TCU.

The Razorbacks got off to a slow start this season and had terrible losses to Toledo and Texas Tech out of conference. The Hog faithful have to hope that history does not repeat itself and that the team gets off to a strong start, but that has not been the trend under Bret Bielema.

If the team should beat Louisiana Tech and TCU, the Razorbacks could easily roll possibly be to a 5-0 start before facing an Alabama team that is going to have to rebuild, which has not really been an issue as of late for the Tide coming off a National Championship season.

The Razorbacks get to drop an improving Tennessee program but get to add a tough Florida team. Why can't the Razorbacks ever add Kentucky, Vanderbilt, or South Carolina to the schedule when those teams are in the dump? [Missouri replaced USCe as our permanent cross-division rival, and we haven't rotated thru to them yet].

If you want a positive, the Razorbacks face all the tougher teams such as Alabama, LSU, and Florida at home at Razorback Stadium.

But always more important than schedule is the players you bring back. The Razorbacks bring back a defense that will be virtually intact but the same defense that struggled against almost every team that it faced. It was a defense that could never get off the field and a defense that could never get a three and out.

It was a defense that was so bad that it led to an ultra-conservative Bielema going for a two-point conversion in overtime at Ole Miss instead of leaving it in the hands of the maligned defense.

The defense struggled all year to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks. It was a defense that never looked settled or secure in its nickel and dime packages when opposing teams went with multiple wide outs. The defense could not blitz from the corner or safety positions for fear of giving up a huge play.

The defense did have one strength, though. It could stop the run.

The Razorbacks will need the experience of the defense to emerge early in the season against Louisiana Tech and TCU as the offense has to rebuild. The defense will need to give the offense a chance to grow after it lost much of its production in Brandon Allen, Alex Collins, and Hunter Henry.

This team can overcome the loss of Henry with Jeremy Sprinkle and the host of players waiting in the wings. Collins will be missed not only for his running but his blocking. You can lay a bet now, the running back that will get on the field for the Razorbacks next season is the guy who will block. Kody Walker, if he returns, fits that bill.

As for the newcomers, they won't see much action unless they can protect their quarterback. With a new starting quarterback, Bielema is not going to jeopardize him with a new kid who doesn't protect no matter how fast he can run the 40.

Many freshman running backs have never had to block a linebacker of SEC quality in their life, and it's a daunting task. Further, the plays designed around the running back blocking and then going out don't work unless you can sell the block.

The offensive line has to be retooled and will be, but all the more reason that the new starting running back better be able to block. I bring all this up because the recruiting talk has been feverish over potential new running backs. Again, it won't matter unless they can block.

Three years ago, Bielema recruited his first class, and on the offensive side it paid huge dividends with the likes of Collins, Henry, Denver Kirkland, and Dan Skipper. Most are now gone, but the team next year starts to become an all Bielema-recruited team. We can all just hope that the guys who have been waiting in the wings are just as good or better.

Left off this list is the execution of the special teams, which some will argue should happen.

Send your look ahead to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Corrected. I was conservative in my strike-throughs.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2016, 04:31:53 pm
I don't disagree that Rob seldom participates in discussion.  If I were him I'd defend my opinion.  But his opinions are more often than not better reasoned than the average poster's.  I certainly don't always agree with him.  His comment this week about a blocking back is an example.  I hope Whaley can block, but I know he can gain 1,000 yards in 2016.

Maybe Rob just doesn't like to fight.  Or maybe he is smarter than we are and does something more productive with his time than argue with knuckleheads on Hogville.

It's not his opinions in question. It's his holier than thou methodology used in presenting those opinions. It reeks of flakiness and turns everyone off.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 21, 2016, 05:36:31 pm
It's not his opinions in question. It's his holier than thou methodology used in presenting those opinions. It reeks of flakiness and turns everyone off.

This  pretty much sums up my sentiments. While I'm never a really big fan of what he writes, it's the fact that he simply uses HV as free publicity. Not as an Arkansas board to have a discussion.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 21, 2016, 12:33:34 pm
First and foremost I am a Hog fan. I've also never hidden the fact that my 2nd team is Bama.

you have a second team, and you're still defending the teeny bopper sex writer

digging your hole deeper

BPsTheMan

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2016, 01:30:27 pm
Rob expresses himself better than 90% of Hogville posters.  His facts are no more generally wrong than most journalists.  His weekly post beats much of the amateur blog material often posted here as gospel. 

I get Doug's comment about tradition.  My understanding is that Rob knows Lanny and some of the other mods.  Lanny himself has stated here that Rob is one of his favorite posters.  Some of the "who is Rob Shields" replies may be in fun.  Whatever, Rob has a very thick skin.  He also has had the gumption to syndicate his own work, and that's where I believe many who make fun of him show their insecurity.  It takes far bigger balls to put your work out there the way he does than to join the pack making fun of him.

You mean totally weird balls?

I think it's a completely fair question to ask if Robert has naked Barbie dolls in his bedroom. Seriously.

Why are you avoiding this subject?

BPsTheMan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 21, 2016, 01:39:42 pm

"2 of 5 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 starscomments....
By B. Campbell on November 4, 2011
Format: Paperback

I have not read this book. I have no intention of reading this book.
Mr. Shields had NO access to the parties involved in the incidents he has taken such broad liberties to write about....therefore it has no validity and should not be represented as "non-fiction."
It is my understanding that his "facts" are based on "media reportings" at the time, and it is now widely known that those reportings were manipulated by the University administration and by the coaching staff in order to avoid responsibility for their inappropriate and unjust actions.
As Mr. Shields correctly pointed out, no one from the "Springdale group" has ever made a public statement and will not make a public statement at this time... nor will we ever speak with Mr. Shields about what transpired.
I am angered that Mr. Shields would attempt to make money on a project that so grossly misrepresents the incidents that transpired and the affect it had on the individuals involved. Until the University administration and Houston Nutt publicly and honestly take full responsibility for their inappropriate and destructive actions, only a few will know what truly happened...and Mr. Shields does not have access to those individuals.
This whole matter is "water under the bridge." Unfortunately, it was destructive water that changed the course of lives...for Mr. Shields to take liberties and attempt to "explain" the events with no real understanding or knowledge, is irresponsible."

http://www.amazon.com/SCARLET-FEVER-RAZORBACK-HOUSE-DIVIDED/dp/0557295726

lutherheggs

Is this a typical thread here? If so, will not be reading many threads here.

LZH

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 21, 2016, 07:32:14 pm

It's a little too late, Robert.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 21, 2016, 07:16:30 pm

Mr. Shields had NO access to the parties involved in the incidents he has taken such broad liberties to write about....therefore it has no validity and should not be represented as "non-fiction."
It is my understanding that his "facts" are based on "media reportings" at the time, and it is now widely known that those reportings were manipulated by the University administration and by the coaching staff in order to avoid responsibility for their inappropriate and unjust actions.
As Mr. Shields correctly pointed out, no one from the "Springdale group" has ever made a public statement and will not make a public statement at this time... nor will we ever speak with Mr. Shields about what transpired.
I am angered that Mr. Shields would attempt to make money on a project that so grossly misrepresents the incidents that transpired and the affect it had on the individuals involved. Until the University administration and Houston Nutt publicly and honestly take full responsibility for their inappropriate and destructive actions, only a few will know what truly happened...and Mr. Shields does not have access to those individuals.
This whole matter is "water under the bridge." Unfortunately, it was destructive water that changed the course of lives...for Mr. Shields to take liberties and attempt to "explain" the events with no real understanding or knowledge, is irresponsible."

Ouch...those comments/reviews are brutal...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BPsTheMan

ricepig

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 21, 2016, 07:32:14 pm

No, this is one of the better threads.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 21, 2016, 07:46:36 pm
Ouch...those comments/reviews are brutal...

But right on target. when you got Mitch's mom commenting that he's FoS, then, well....
This is my non-signature signature.

urkillnmesmalls

Still don't think you're getting it.  It's a DISCUSSION board, and he doesn't participate.  He makes one post a week. 

"Hey, here's my Monday opinion piece.  Deal with it."  Then he's gone and not heard from until next Monday.  It's the "Here's my opinion piece for you plebes to read and discuss among yourselves," attitude that bothers me, and a lot of other people. 

Why should we deprive him of the attention he seeks, even if it's negative attention?  See, we're really doing him a service by  blasting his opinion so he maintains some level of relevance, even though I'm not exactly sure why anyone would enjoy that much abuse.  Apparently...he enjoys it.  What other conclusions could you possibly reach?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 21, 2016, 09:33:42 pm
Still don't think you're getting it.  It's a DISCUSSION board, and he doesn't participate.  He makes one post a week. 

"Hey, here's my Monday opinion piece.  Deal with it."  Then he's gone and not heard from until next Monday.  It's the "Here's my opinion piece for you plebes to read and discuss among yourselves," attitude that bothers me, and a lot of other people. 

Why should we deprive him of the attention he seeks, even if it's negative attention?  See, we're really doing him a service by  blasting his opinion so he maintains some level of relevance, even though I'm not exactly sure why anyone would enjoy that much abuse.  Apparently...he enjoys it.  What other conclusions could you possibly reach?   

So far the best rationalization yet.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Doug

Quote from: lutherheggsIs this a typical thread here? If so, will not be reading many threads here.
As it pertains to Wobble Shards, yes, this is the typical response to one of his threads/"posts". It's part of Hogville's legacy/lore.

If you offend easily, just avoid any thread started by Wobble... and focus on other threads.

As was customary to say on another Hog board: Wear a cup!
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

bob slydell

Quote from: Doug on January 21, 2016, 12:12:50 pm
Great blanket statement. For all of us that loves continuing the tradition we do in a Wobble Shards thread, not every one of us has insecurity issues, as you infer.

Unless you have gone Sigmund Freud on us, don't make blanket statements without having facts. :)

He actually implied. You were the one that inferred.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 21, 2016, 06:45:01 pm
you have a second team, and you're still defending the teeny bopper sex writer

digging your hole deeper

Congrats, you just used the terms sex, bopper, deeper, teeny and hole all within the same post. While being bent over the amount of attention another poster receives.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 22, 2016, 08:13:26 am
Congrats, you just used the terms sex, bopper, deeper, teeny and hole all within the same post. While being bent over the amount of attention another poster receives.

If you could stand back and see yourself from the outside, you'd be ashamed.

longpig

Mr. Shard's opinions are pedestrian at best.......and Wobbly.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Robert Shields on January 18, 2016, 11:13:47 am
Looking Ahead to What is in Store for Razorback Football Next Season

Robert Shields

Now that the college football season is over, we look ahead for what is in store for the Razorbacks. Much like this past season, the schedule is not kind as right off the bat the Razorbacks face an improved Louisiana Tech and then 1 perennial power TCU.

The Razorbacks got off to a slow start this season and had devastating losses to Toledo and Texas Tech out of the conference. The Hog faithful have to hope that history does not repeat itself and that the team gets off to a strong start, 2 but that has not been the trend under Bret Bielema.

If the team should beat Louisiana Tech and TCU, the Razorbacks could easily roll to a 5-0 start before facing an 3 Alabama team that is going to have to rebuild, which has not really been an issue as of late for the Tide.

The Razorbacks get to drop an improving Tennessee program but get to add a tough Florida team. 4 Why can't the Razorbacks ever add Kentucky, Vanderbilt, or South Carolina to the schedule when those teams are in the dump?

If you want a positive, the Razorbacks face all the tougher teams such as Alabama, LSU, and Florida at home at Razorback Stadium.

But always more important than schedule is the players you bring back. The Razorbacks bring back a defense that will be virtually intact but the same defense that struggled against almost every team that it faced. It was a defense that could 5 never get off the field and a defense that could never get a three and out.

It was a defense that was so bad that it led to an 6 ultra-conservative Bielema going for a two-point conversion in overtime at Ole Miss instead of leaving it in the hands of the maligned defense.

The defense struggled all year to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks. It was a defense that never  rarelylooked settled or secure in its nickel and dime packages when opposing teams went with multiple wide outs. The defense could notrarely blitzed from the corner or safety positions for fear of giving up a huge play.

7 The defense did have one strength, though. It could stop the run.

The Razorbacks will need the experience of the defense to emerge early in the season against Louisiana Tech and TCU as the offense has to rebuild. The defense will need to give the offense a chance to grow after it lost much of its production in Brandon Allen, Alex Collins, and Hunter Henry.

This team can overcome the loss of Henry with Jeremy Sprinkle and the host of players waiting in the wings. Collins will be missed not only for his running but his blocking. You can lay a bet now, the running back 8that will get on the field for the Razorbacks next season is the guy who will block. Kody Walker, if he returns, fits that bill.

As for the offensivenewcomers, they won't see much action unless they can protect their quarterback. With a new starting quarterback, Bielema is not going to jeopardize him with a new kid who doesn't protect no matter how fast he can run the 40.

Many freshman running backs have never had to block a linebacker of SEC quality in their life, and it's a daunting task. Further, the plays designed around the running back blocking and then going out don't work unless you can sell the block.

The offensive line has to be retooled and will be, but all the more reason that the new starting running back better be able to block. I bring all this up because the recruiting talk has been feverish over potential new running backs. 9Again, it won't matter unless they can block.

Three years ago, Bielema recruited his first class, and on the offensive side it paid huge dividends with the likes of Collins, Henry, Denver Kirkland, and Dan Skipper. Most are now gone, but the team next year starts to become an all Bielema-recruited team. 10 We can all just hope that the guys who have been waiting in the wings are just as good or better.

11 Left off this list is the execution of the special teams, which some will argue should happen.

Send your look ahead to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Robert, you're doing better, but all writers need an editor.  Here you go.  Send next weeks to me before you post it.   You play sports writer.  I'll play editor.

1.  TCU is more "a solid team in recent years," ... certainly not a perennial power. Ohio State is a PP.  Bama is a PP.  Ex: "OU is the perinnial power that upstart TCU has been able to compete with the last few seasons."   Also, TCU loses a lot of talent this year, no?  Might be worth a mention.  INFORMING readers is your goal.

2.  That sounds like something a poor TV commentator would say.  Is it really a trend?  How did BB's teams come out of the gate at Wisconsin?   Maybe there is another possibility to explore here.

3. Perennial power Alabama doesn't REBUILD, TCU rebuilds. 

4, No one likes a whiner.  And after Nutt said this exact same whiner nonsense, he had horrific losses to Vandy and Kentucky.  Hog fans don't get to say that, ever again, Robert. 

5. Don't use extremes, such as 'never' unless factually correct.  You are not factually correct and it sounds like more whining.  "Arkansas has NEVER played the Dallas Cowboys,"  is factually correct.  "Arkansas' defense never got off the field and never had a 3 and out? - NOT correct.

6.  Ultra conservative Bielema????   Sounds like a TV announcer who doesn't know what he's talking about.

7. Excellent!  Concise, correct, and meaningful.  A stat to back it up would be nice though.

8. No, they will ALL probably "get on the field."  Say what you mean.

9. You have already said that like 40 times.  Once was enough.

10.  You REPORT, you do not HOPE.

11.  WTH?  Special teams is a HUGE concern.  You spent paragraphs going on about running backs needing to block.  Cut ALL of that and insert a real analysis, with some info, about the huge concern in kicking game - didn't a coach just leave who had some special teams responsibilities? 

Stop reading Wally Hall.  He's a terrible writer.  Start reading WizardofHogs.  Try to incorporate FACTS to support your positions. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2016, 11:26:27 am
La Tech loses Jeff Driskel, Kenneth Dixon and another dozen senior starters.  TCU is not a perennial power.  They're an up and down program on a good run because of Gary Patterson a favorable location.  They lose more than the Hogs, also.

College Game Day in Fayetteville October 8.

See this Robert?  I edited for you before reading comments.  Now I'm going thru those for you.   First one... correct.  Same as my first edit... TCU is NOT a PP.  Bama is.

KennyForAD

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 18, 2016, 12:07:26 pm
"I hope we're out recruiting the best blocking running back in the country, no matter how slow he is, or how many moves he doesn't have."   

Said,

Nobody Ever

Bam!  Smalls is a jackass and usually wrong, but he's on the money this time.  You spent too long about a minor thing, while ignoring the huge issue of special teams.  Gotta fix that.

KennyForAD

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2016, 11:33:46 am
I've got a nomination for an execution.......

You're better than this, and a good writer.  Robert works hard to reach his goal.  Help me help him. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 18, 2016, 01:36:04 pm
I don't pile on RS like most do, BUT....

A question for him:  Does our running back need to know how to block?

Robert, the point he is making is ... ?    No problem.  We'll fix that.

KennyForAD

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2016, 12:46:35 pm
We finished #10 in scoring at 19.2/game in 2014, that's out of 128, not conference.

Stats, Robert!  Use them.

KennyForAD

Quote from: scruf on January 18, 2016, 01:42:52 pm
I know I normally skip these but I read this one and wish I could unread it. That said, here's some general feedback: Stop writing. (Specific feedback is listed below)

Tell me how La. Tech improves by losing Driskel and Dixon and 23 other seniors? Also, TCU is a perennial also-ran that loses their top three playmakers on offense (Doctson, Green, Boykin). This game will be a toss-up. Hogs will need to do what they always do: Stick to the script. That means ball control, limiting penalties and winning the turnover battle. Right off the bat there's nothing to see here.

The Toledo and Texas Tech losses were not as bad as the loss to Texas A&M because that's the loss that actually kept the Hogs out of a New Year's Day bowl. Think about it. No, longer than that. Now keep thinking. I also see where you haven't addressed injuries anywhere in this article so good job taking the coward's way out by not tackling the elephant in the room.

I think you meant to say, "The team should beat Louisiana Tech and TCU and could easily roll to a 5-0 start before facing a reloading Alabama team." They don't rebuild. Like, ever.

Florida's tough? Says who, people who vote in polls? They are terrible. Imagine LSU but then put my daughter (18) at QB. I take that back. Apologies to my daughter. She could definitely do better than 8-17 for 122 yards in an overtime game with Florida Atlantic.

I say again: Florida Atlantic. Related: Do you even watch other teams play or do you just check the polls never mind I already know the answer.

So now LSU is tough as well. Will you still say that after the Hogs go 3-0 against Almighty Fournette again next year? You probably will, after all, derpers gonna derp.

Wait, "could never get a three and out"? Arkansas forced Alabama into three of them in that game alone and stopped two other drives by intercepting them. The Hogs also had a stretch in that game where they forced this year's National Champs to punt three times in a row. You know who else forced three three-and-outs against the Tide and also made them punt three times in a row? Clemson. You know what Clemson didn't do? Hold the Tide to 27 points.

We all know that Arkansas' defense really struggled against spread PASSING teams and most of us understand that depth had a lot to do with it. Most of us.

If you don't think that most coaches in the SEC would've done the same against the league's top total (518ypg) and scoring (40.8 ) offense then maybe you should watch intramural badminton instead because football is clearly, CLEARLY, not your game Bob.

Struggled all year or struggled most of the year? There's a pretty big difference. I notice that you waste a lot of time framing your "arguments" with absolutes as a way to force your audience to comply with your agenda. It's not working.

Back to football: I thought that when the defense knocked Brandon Harris on his tiger tail five times that they got to him pretty good. Hogs also sacked Missouri's QB three times and rushed twice as many throws. Again, "all" doesn't equal "most" but I also know that it doesn't fit this b!tch fit you keep posting on here every week and I'm not going to give you a pass on it. It's what Coach Robb Smith would want.

Also, the defense "would not" blitz the corners or safeties it's not that they "could not." Again, huge difference that I would never expect you to pick up on.

Even a broken Shields is right twice a year.

Wow. You are really scared of La. Tech and TCU. May I recommend Ativan or possibly Xanax? Good grief.

Kody Walker is returning. Hey Bob, your casual fandom is showing. Let me go ahead and tuck that back in for you.

Coach Bielema, on behalf of coaches everywhere, says, "Thanks Robert, we'll take it from here."

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Coach Robert Shields.

Have you watched a cut-up of Whaley missing block after block? If not then WTH are you on about, I'd love to know.

"Most are now gone" Most of who, the starters? They are? I see that you conveniently left off the following:

Brooks Ellis
DJ Dean
Tevin Beanum
Drew Morgan
Kevin Richardson

Throw in Dan Skipper and that's, what, like six starters out of the nine seniors-to-be who would be starters. If that's your definition of "most" then I'd hate to see your definition of "least."

Also, a lot of the players who are "waiting in the wings" are not waiting at all. Have you looked at the depth chart? (You didn't) It is littered with SO, RS-FR and FR who contributed in a big way this year. (Why do I bother?)

You can't say that you're leaving something off the list and then list it. It doesn't work that way.

Great job Robert! You are that much closer to that elusive Pulitzer. I can feel it. Here's a Batman gif for your troubles:

Okay, I can stop reading comments now.  This stuff look familiar Robert?  Had you sent it to an editor, before publishing it, this guy would be praising you, instead of editing (and his editing is very good) your work for you. 

Send me your next article, I'll edit it, and watch what happens...  Or send it to this guy.  I'll bet he'd do it too.  We're pulling for ya, and want to help.  All writers have editors Robert.  Great writers are ones with good editors.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 22, 2016, 08:36:56 pm
Bam!  Smalls is a jackass and usually wrong, but he's on the money this time.  You spent too long about a minor thing, while ignoring the huge issue of special teams.  Gotta fix that.

I'm going to take that backhanded compliment, but fire back with a screw you at the same time.  Evens out.   ;)

KennyForAD

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2016, 09:13:35 pm
I'm going to take that backhanded compliment, but fire back with a screw you at the same time.  Evens out.   ;)

You play ball like a GIRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiY9B_F74I

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 22, 2016, 08:38:42 pm
You're better than this, and a good writer.  Robert works hard to reach his goal.  Help me help him.

urkillnmesmalls

KennyForAD

KennyForAD

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2016, 09:28:57 pm
At least you have an eye for a good sports movie, even though you know so little about sports.   :P

Well, you're still a jackass, but you got another one right.  That's two in a row.   ;D

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 21, 2016, 07:16:30 pm

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on January 21, 2016, 07:19:07 pm

or this guy?

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 22, 2016, 09:34:55 pm
Well, you're still a jackass, but you got another one right.  That's two in a row.   ;D

Kenny is to Robert as Pittman is to Chaney ?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on January 21, 2016, 07:42:07 pm
the last Robert Shields thread gave me whooping cough

Good thing you aren't a member of some mysterious girls secret bathroom society......................whooping cough would be the least of your worries.  :-\
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 22, 2016, 08:42:39 pm
Robert, the point he is making is ... ?    No problem.  We'll fix that.

It was sarcasm.

Mentioning the same thing over and over in an article is simply a way to fluff it for length or is laziness in not realizing you are beating pulp instead of a dead horse.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

lutherheggs

Quote from: Doug on January 22, 2016, 06:35:07 am
As it pertains to Wobble Shards, yes, this is the typical response to one of his threads/"posts". It's part of Hogville's legacy/lore.

If you offend easily, just avoid any thread started by Wobble... and focus on other threads.

As was customary to say on another Hog board: Wear a cup!
Offended? By this? It's not me that is the topic here. It is simply that I find this inane, non-informational posting useless. So why would anyone spend time reading unfunny and/or useless babble? That is all I meant.

Doug

I reiterate my suggestion: Avoid any Wobble Shards threads. Hogville has been doing this in his threads for years, and we're not about to change. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

KennyForAD

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 23, 2016, 10:57:04 am
It was sarcasm.

Mentioning the same thing over and over in an article is simply a way to fluff it for length or is laziness in not realizing you are beating pulp instead of a dead horse.

I was asking ROBERT, not you, if ROBERT understood that you were pointing out the same problem with his article that I and others had as well.  Trying to drive home the point to ROBERT that he needs an editor.

Thanks a lot.  If Robert doesn't find himself an editor now... it all your fault.

KennyForAD

Quote from: hog13hog on January 22, 2016, 10:53:20 pm
Kenny is to Robert as Pittman is to Chaney ?

I'm trying to do a public service here, and this is what I get?  On second thought, maybe you're not far off.  Maybe Dick Cheney to George W. Bush?  or Gandolf to Frodo...  No. I have it!   Encyclopedia Brown to his dad.  Haha dig that one up.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Doug on January 23, 2016, 03:33:40 pm
I reiterate my suggestion: Avoid any Wobble Shards threads. Hogville has been doing this in his threads for years, and we're not about to change. :)

No.  But his articles are gonna change.  They'll be fact checked, informative, concise, and 'grammar cop' proof.