Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 24, 2024, 06:44:28 am

Hogville "LEGEND" or real Star??

Started by Lake City Hog, January 17, 2016, 10:30:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

I am going to throw out a few names and you tell me legend or star and facts to back it up. Add others if you wish.
The one thing that all of these have in common is that Hogville built them up to a point of near unreachable heights before they ever set foot on campus.(unfairly I might add)

1 Kane Whitehurst
2 Vin Ascolese
3 Matt Jones
4 Jim Chaney
5 Randy Shannon
6 Sam Pittman
7 Matt Hall
8 Anthony Oden
9 Quinta Funderburk
Would prefer we didn't add any current players to the list.

Ironhawg

I can't remember his name.  Who was the kid from Texas they called Big Tex?  I'd say he is a Legend.

Mike_e

Dorieal Green-Beckham (sp?) has to be up there

Oh, wait.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 17, 2016, 10:30:47 am
I am going to throw out a few names and you tell me legend or star and facts to back it up. Add others if you wish.
The one thing that all of these have in common is that Hogville built them up to a point of near unreachable heights before they ever set foot on campus.(unfairly I might add)

1 Kane Whitehurst
2 Vin Ascolese
3 Matt Jones
4 Jim Chaney
5 Randy Shannon
6 Sam Pittman
7 Matt Hall
8 Anthony Oden
9 Quinta Funderburk
Would prefer we didn't add any current players to the list.
All except Jones and Pittman are legends. Jones is both. Pittman is a star, but some here consider him a legend.

Thanks for the entertainment!

scruf

1 Kane Whitehurst (talented kid who played by his own rules instead of the team's rules and finished his career at South Carolina)
2 Vin Ascolese (wrote a poem and never made it to campus)
3 Matt Jones (one of the most exciting players to ever lace it up for the Razorbacks)
4 Jim Chaney (average play caller and below average QB coach at Arkansas)
5 Randy Shannon (big name but small work ethic according to a friend who was/is on staff)
6 Sam Pittman (one of the best OL coaches out there)
7 Matt Hall (talented OL who didn't pan out at Arkansas but made it to the NFL undrafted from a smaller school, can't remember which one)
8 Anthony Oden (mauler of an OL that wasn't focused off the field or on it)
9 Quinta Funderburk (WR with great measurables who bounced from Arkansas to Syracuse to Norfolk State without making any real impact along the way)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: scruf on January 17, 2016, 11:40:41 am
1 Kane Whitehurst (talented kid who played by his own rules instead of the team's rules and finished his career at South Carolina)
3 Matt Jones (one of the most exciting players to ever lace it up for the Razorbacks)
5 Randy Shannon (big name but small work ethic according to a friend who was/is on staff)
7 Matt Hall (talented OL who didn't pan out at Arkansas but made it to the NFL undrafted from a smaller school, can't remember which one)
9 Quinta Funderburk (WR with great measurables who bounced from Arkansas to Syracuse to Norfolk State without making any real impact along the way)

Matt Hall began at Arkansas, transferred to Ole Miss and then transferred to Bellhaven University (Jackson, MS).
Go Hogs Go!

HogFoo

You forgot that DE that had crazy stats.  Size, speed, etc.. i think his name was Austin.  He had as much fanfare as Vinny did.  And i think he may have actually play a game or two before leaving with probably zero stats.

Its why i try to curb my enthusiasm until a player has played a few games first.  And with jucos, i try to curb the enthusiasm until they have play 8games or so.  I really really wish that we were at a point where we could redshirt a juco everytime we recruited one.   Go back and look at all the jucos we had over the years.  Which ones really took off right after they got here?  I cant think of many until around game 7 or 8.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: HogFoo on January 17, 2016, 12:02:46 pm
You forgot that DE that had crazy stats.  Size, speed, etc.. i think his name was Austin.  He had as much fanfare as Vinny did.  And i think he may have actually play a game or two before leaving with probably zero stats.

Its why i try to curb my enthusiasm until a player has played a few games first.  And with jucos, i try to curb the enthusiasm until they have play 8games or so.  I really really wish that we were at a point where we could redshirt a juco everytime we recruited one.   Go back and look at all the jucos we had over the years.  Which ones really took off right after they got here?  I cant think of many until around game 7 or 8.

Austin Flynn

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 17, 2016, 11:00:19 am
I can't remember his name.  Who was the kid from Texas they called Big Tex?  I'd say he is a Legend.

Jatashun Beachum

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=311318.100

scruf

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2016, 11:45:52 am
Matt Hall began at Arkansas, transferred to Ole Miss and then transferred to Bellhaven University (Jackson, MS).
Thanks Muskogee, I forgot about his stop at Ole Miss.

Piggfoot

Matt Jones Star
Pittman star with reservations.
Remainder legends
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on January 17, 2016, 12:02:46 pm

Dead on.
This is why I don't care for JUCOs as a general rule.  A few will end up being worth the scholly, but almost all of them need a half to full season transition period.
As much as I love Dominique Reed, it took about a half a season for him to hit stride.  Worse, we only have his fantastic talents for one more season.
He's a definite home run too, though.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 17, 2016, 12:10:23 pm
Jatashun Beachum

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=311318.100

What about that highly rated Clarksville QB?  I can't remember his name.  He was a King Clown recruit.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 17, 2016, 12:22:26 pm
What about that highly rated Clarksville QB?  I can't remember his name.  He was a King Clown recruit.
That would be one Gary Breashers (sp) if my memory serves me accurately. While ultimately much of his failure has to rest with him, from what I understand much of the drama issues surrounding this kid was his dad. Apparently daddy pretty much wanted Gary to be named college All-American before he even set foot on the practice field.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 17, 2016, 12:29:29 pm
That would be one Gary Breashers (sp) if my memory serves me accurately. While ultimately much of his failure has to rest with him, from what I understand much of the drama issues surrounding this kid was his dad. Apparently daddy pretty much wanted Gary to be named college All-American before he even set foot on the practice field.

Thanks.
I guess he would be a myth?
His response to me:

bville_hog

Who on here ever built Jim Chaney up? Most just wanted him to be servicable and were willing to take him to get pittman.  On Matt Jones, i don't recall too much build-up and even calling for him to play, but once he actually played you could see how good he was.

WizardofhOgZ

We've also had more than our share of duds at linebacker.

-Chip Gregory (who came in accalimed as an "athlete" who could play RB or LB, but actually ended up being ineffectual at both)

-Austin Moss

-And there was a Juco LB we signed late (summer) maybe 5-7 years ago.  His stats (something like 6'3" by 240 lbs) looked prototypical, so our fans immediately anointed him as our LB savior and an immediate starter.  He came in with 3 years to play and was a backup the entire time he was here.

Inhogswetrust

The biggest legend ever on Hogville was [you].
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2016, 11:45:52 am

Nutty couldn't get a coaching job anywhere else for him to follow again......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TrueBlue

Mitch Mustain and Gary Brashears in football

Willie Cutts in basketball. (I remember a certain sportscaster that mispronounced his last name on a live broadcast that still has me in tears!)

Dark Helmet Hog

I can think of 10-12 left off the list beginning with Ray Biggers and ending with Basil Shabazz. I just Stevin Hill somewhere in the middle. Fred Talley just ran by and reminded me I'm Nutts.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on January 17, 2016, 01:01:39 pm
I can think of 10-12 left off the list beginning with Ray Biggers and ending with Basil Shabazz. I just Stevin Hill somewhere in the middle. Fred Talley just ran by and reminded me I'm Nutts.
Don't forget the legend that was Nick Mason.

Remember Freddie Bradley? He broke everyone of OJ's records in California (except for acquittals) but did nothing here.

scruf

Quote from: bville_hog on January 17, 2016, 12:41:27 pm
Who on here ever built Jim Chaney up? Most just wanted him to be servicable and were willing to take him to get pittman.  On Matt Jones, i don't recall too much build-up and even calling for him to play, but once he actually played you could see how good he was.
A lot of people called for Matt Jones to play early because the other options at QB were very limited.

Lake City Hog

I believe that Chaney was a part of the initial BB coaching staff that MANY on Hogville anointed as the "Greatest Staff ever assembled"! How many of you remember that?

The point of the OP is that over the years Hogville has proclaimed so many players and coaches as "Stars", Sure Things" and Future AA's" and totally whiffed! The worst part of that is that NOT ONE of them asked for that type of celebrity! None of them wanted to become a punchline! None of them deserved to become a punchline.

Yet EVERY year we have some of the exact same posters do that to kids and coaches. They put the expectation level so high that it would be nearly impossible to meet. Then when the kid doesn't meet that unreasonable expectation these same posters trash them.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on January 17, 2016, 01:01:39 pm

These plus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 17, 2016, 12:52:53 pm
The biggest legend ever on Hogville was [you].
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

jchill

Porkys Revenge

Wmhog

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on January 17, 2016, 06:21:37 pm
Ryan Calendar??

Darnell Valentine out of California as next next great player for Nolan.  Could not walk and chew gum.  Lee Wilson in same class ended up being better.

supersaint

Quote from: Wmhog on January 17, 2016, 08:08:49 pm
Darnell Valentine out of California as next next great player for Nolan.  Could not walk and chew gum.  Lee Wilson in same class ended up being better.

Robinson
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

PigWig

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 17, 2016, 12:45:41 pm
We've also had more than our share of duds at linebacker.

-Chip Gregory (who came in accalimed as an "athlete" who could play RB or LB, but actually ended up being ineffectual at both)

-Austin Moss

-And there was a Juco LB we signed late (summer) maybe 5-7 years ago.  His stats (something like 6'3" by 240 lbs) looked prototypical, so our fans immediately anointed him as our LB savior and an immediate starter.  He came in with 3 years to play and was a backup the entire time he was here.

Don't forget Otha Peters.

Wmhog

swineology

BPsTheMan

thebignasty

Hoggish1

Quote from: scruf on January 17, 2016, 11:40:41 am

6 Sam Pittman (one of the best OL coaches out there, who mailed it in for 2015 because he didn't have his buddy to hold his hand...)

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PigWig on January 17, 2016, 08:22:26 pm
Don't forget Otha Peters.

I saw him playing at UL Lafayette in a game this season against someone.  He still looks the part, but I don't know how he was doing there. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

King

hog.goblin

SPAL

Chris Baker
Willie hordge
Fred bledsoe
Ivora hall Jr.

redeye

1 Kane Whitehurst - Not highly recruited and mostly Hogville legend, but he still had some success with South Carolina.  Probably would have been a productive receiver at Arkansas.

2 Vin Ascolese - Hogville legend who wasn't highly recruited.  I still don't understand why he excited people, but I figured they knew something I didn't.

3 Matt Jones - Real star and shouldn't even be on this list, imo.  Highly recruited, had a great college career and seemed to be doing well in the pros until his personal problems caught up with him.

4 Jim Chaney - Real star and highly respected among his peers.  I still don't think he was a good OC for Arkansas, though.

5 Randy Shannon - Both, but he was a college football legend long before Hogville.  I don't think we reacted any different then anyone would have.

6 Sam Pittman - Mostly a real star, although I think we made him out to be a little better then he actually was.  Bielema has always had great linemen, but we seemed to think it was all due to Pittman.

7 Matt Hall - Highly recruited, but overrated.  I don't recall Hogville making a big deal out of him, even though he was rated high.

8 Anthony Oden - Same as above Matt Hall

9 Quinta Funderburk - Same as above as Matt Hall.

I've always found it interesting when Hogville jumps on the bandwagon of a lower rated player, because I never know what to expect.  In some cases, they turn out to be a pleasant surprise and every bit as good as I've heard.  Dominique Reed and Drew Morgan were that way this year.  Korliss Marshall, Josh Liddell, Dre Greenlaw and Zach Hocker are others on this list.

But in other cases, the players were vastly overrated and that was obvious to me the first time I saw them play.  Oddly, I can't remember any examples, but I know there were several that were doozies.

When Hogville gets excited, I also get excited, but I still wait until I see the player play before allowing myself to feel confident about his abilities.  But I do the same thing with recruiting service ratings, because their opinions can be almost as bad.

jkstock04

Ahh good ole Kane whitehurst. That's the last time I ever judged what a kid would do here based on a highlight reel. Highlight reels mean absolutely nothing as far as a future indicator.

His situation is proof positive that Til they actually do something with a Hog uniform on in live game action....anything else said beforehand as to what their future holds is pure speculation and based more on fantasy than fact.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoghiker

Quote from: supersaint on January 17, 2016, 08:08:30 pm
Robinson
Robinson could play. He just wasn't ready for the NBA when he decided to leave. One of the top five stupidest decision by a UA athlete ever.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: King on January 17, 2016, 10:17:01 pm
Gary Brashears

Basil Shabazz
The running back from Wynne who faxed his Letter in Unsigned and went to Memphis.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

Vin Ascolese never made it to campus because he got arrested for beating up Chuck Norris.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2016, 11:16:33 am
Vin Ascolese never made it to campus because he got arrested for beating up Chuck Norris.

Don't believe it.  More likely that he would have sent him a poem for intimidation, thus eliminating any need to actually throw down. 

Roses are red, violets are blue
I love the Razorbacks, and I'll kick your butt too

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hawgphish