Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring workout plans

Started by Lake City Hog, January 16, 2016, 09:01:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

Was it just me or did BB say that he and Herb were making some changes to the 8 week training program that starts in 2 weeks?

Maybe BB wants to try to regain a bit of the speed/quickness that appears to have been lost by some players?
I know, I know, I'm just speculating. Maybe it more hoping.

clutch

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 16, 2016, 09:01:58 pm
Was it just me or did BB say that he and Herb were making some changes to the 8 week training program that starts in 2 weeks?

Maybe BB wants to try to regain a bit of the speed/quickness that appears to have been lost by some players?

Workout plans change all the time. You modify them to fit the team needs. Could also be that the players have adapted to the old training and need something new to increase results. Could be anything really.

GunnerHawg70

IMO, Probably something geared towards to preventing ankle/foot injuries...I can see increasing overall team speed in the skill positions and strengthening/beefing up interior OL/DL...  :razorback:

DeltaBoy

Watch Coach on his Post season interview he talks about the changes they are making.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TexHog188

Perhaps there will be some player position changes?  Some guys might bulk up while others may concentrate on quickness/speed.  Who knows?
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hogsrule44

Some of you think way to much into these things.

The NewEra

I think Coach B said the reason for the modification on the workouts were that some of the younger guys were not surprisingly, below the more senior players and it was designed to bring the younger guys up a few levels.

longpig

January 19, 2016, 01:09:36 pm #7 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:04:43 pm by longpig
 What he meant was, the schedule is going to work around spring turkey and crappie seasons. ;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

scruf

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 16, 2016, 09:01:58 pm

I think you're on to something here. I bet they start the spring and fall sessions a little leaner and a little faster.

code red

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on January 19, 2016, 11:14:24 am
IMO, Probably something geared towards to preventing ankle/foot injuries...I can see increasing overall team speed in the skill positions and strengthening/beefing up interior OL/DL...  :razorback:
I'd say work on team speed.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

woodrow hog call

One legged squats of 800 lbs for everybody.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

supersaint

John Stuckey changed up the spring workout plan one spring to include more heavy deadlifts. During spring practices, a lot of players complained of lower back issues. Coach Ford and coach Stuckey had a falling out over the deadlifts and back issues. Stuckey left and went to Tennessee to work for Fulmer.  RIP coach Stuckey.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on January 19, 2016, 01:09:36 pm
What he meant was, the schedule is going to work around spring turkey and crappie seasons. ;D

He's also petitioned the NCAA and SEC to change the fall schedule to not coincide with Deer season as well, so more fans can be at the games............................... ;)
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WaltonCollege

Quote from: clutch on January 16, 2016, 09:53:15 pm
Workout plans change all the time. You modify them to fit the team needs. Could also be that the players have adapted to the old training and need something new to increase results. Could be anything really.

This. As well as maybe less stress workouts on the lower body to prevent all our broken legs/ankles

ricepig

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 20, 2016, 07:44:50 am
This. As well as maybe less stress workouts on the lower body to prevent all our broken legs/ankles

Yeah, we want weak legs and ankles.........

WaltonCollege

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2016, 08:02:51 am
Yeah, we want weak legs and ankles.........

Better weak ones than broken ones. And I said less stress training, that doesn't necessarily mean the players are going to lose strength it means they should have more time to recover from lower body workouts. But of course ricepig if u had a PHD in medicine you wouldn't be on this board 24/7 posting all day and all night. You'd probably have a real life.

devildoghawg

You don't get fast twitch muscle fibers by lifting 600 pounds in the squat rack.  We need to be training our athletes like athletes, not professional body builders.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

ricepig

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 20, 2016, 09:16:18 am
Better weak ones than broken ones. And I said less stress training, that doesn't necessarily mean the players are going to lose strength it means they should have more time to recover from lower body workouts. But of course ricepig if u had a PHD in medicine you wouldn't be on this board 24/7 posting all day and all night. You'd probably have a real life.

Ooh, that's so mean. When you retire at 50, like me, let me know.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2016, 02:34:45 pm

Retire from shoveling poo? I'm 25 making really good money so I'll hit you up in another 25

ricepig

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 20, 2016, 02:42:23 pm
Retire from shoveling poo? I'm 25 making really good money so I'll hit you up in another 25

Yet you're on here all the time, how can that be?? Have a good day, and good luck on lasting 25 more years in your profession.

clutch

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 20, 2016, 02:27:24 pm
You don't get fast twitch muscle fibers by lifting 600 pounds in the squat rack.  We need to be training our athletes like athletes, not professional body builders.

Lifting really heavy weight isn't how body builders train.

A lot of your speed has to do with force and ground contact time. The more force you exert, the less ground contact time you have. Stronger is faster. Look at how sprinters train. Those dudes legs are huge and powerful. They didn't get that way by lifting light weight. The use key lifts like the squat to build the power. They then take that newly found power and train it for explosion.

This is where a lot of people get confused. You can't create a explosive power if the general power isn't there to begin with.

We've seen the videos of the heavy squats, but I can guarantee you that there's tons of explosion work that we aren't seeing that goes along with it.

PorkRinds

Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't cause any more broken feet.  ;)

Inhogswetrust

are you a certified professional collegiate athletic strength and conditioning coach?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Oklahawg

I always enjoy reading these threads. *not*

A lot of guys who know a lot about working how somehow think that translates into high-end, elite-level strength and speed training. If I took the advice from one thread on S/T I'd be tore up from the floor up.

I respect the knowledge of "amateur" weight training, but I don't think it is quite as simple as it seems.

I do think that there are long-term plans that sometimes don't pan out, but S/T work can't be corrected in a week of work in practice (ala, fixing the run game). It will take a cycle of lifting to correct whatever went awry last fall. If that conclusion is even correct (I am not opposed to that thesis).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 20, 2016, 07:21:11 am
He's also petitioned the NCAA and SEC to change the fall schedule to not coincide with Deer season as well, so more fans can be at the games............................... ;)

Probably an easier route than petitioning the deer to postpone the rut.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: clutch on January 20, 2016, 03:53:44 pm

A lot of your speed has to do with force and ground contact time. The more force you exert, the less ground contact time you have. Stronger is faster. Look at how sprinters train. Those dudes legs are huge and powerful. They didn't get that way by lifting light weight. The use key lifts like the squat to build the power. They then take that newly found power and train it for explosion.

This is where a lot of people get confused. You can't create a explosive power if the general power isn't there to begin with.

We've seen the videos of the heavy squats, but I can guarantee you that there's tons of explosion work that we aren't seeing that goes along with it.

Agreed.
Go Hogs Go!

HogBreath

Quote from: longpig on January 20, 2016, 06:37:44 pm
Probably an easier route than petitioning the deer to postpone the rut.
8 point buck said you know why the rut doesn't start on the 4th of July?

Cause it's too danged hot.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

supersaint

Quote from: clutch on January 20, 2016, 03:53:44 pm

Clutch knows his stuff.

Theolesnort

Going into last season we knew we had a depth problem on defense but the way the defense entered the season a lot of us thought the defense would be lights out. No depth and lots of injuries to legs and feet later and the defense was exposed. Because of lack of depth we played people that under normal circumstances would have set on the bench for a while but we didn't have any other choice and now we see how that worked out. Bielema doesn't make excuses about injuries and hardly talks about them but between the lack of depth and being gimped up we looked worse than what anyone expected, especially when facing mobile qb's.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: woodrow hog call on January 19, 2016, 01:58:21 pm
One legged squats of 800 lbs for everybody.
how did you find out my personal workout?   ;D  Seriously, I thought this thread was going to be some sort of juicer's personal lifting plan.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 21, 2016, 10:15:45 am
how did you find out my personal workout?   ;D  Seriously, I thought this thread was going to be some sort of juicer's personal lifting plan.

Monday thru Thursday - Arms
Friday - Bench
Saturday -  buy tight Tshirt

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on January 21, 2016, 10:29:44 am
Monday thru Thursday - Arms
Friday - Bench
Saturday -  buy tight Tshirt
That sounds righteous dude.

longpig

nchogg

Coach Small will help keep them right.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2016, 02:34:45 pm

Smack!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Need some two-a-days weight lifting programs.

Throw in some P90X and maybe some Pilates.

Salt tablets for everyone after running bleachers. 
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

supersaint

Quote from: The Chief on January 21, 2016, 08:44:22 pm

Maybe some Tae Bo with Billy Blanks.

clutch

Quote from: The Chief on January 21, 2016, 08:44:22 pm

Give all the linemen "It Works" wraps to tone them up. You're onto something now.

HogMantheIntruder

Actually, heavy lifting does train fast twitch muscle fibers.  Slow twitch muscle fibers are trained with higher reps/lower weight.  I think you are just getting the two confused.  The way I remembered it was that fast twitch fibers are worn out fast while slow twitch fibers are slower to become exhausted. 

Now, if you are talking about explosiveness, you are correct that simply lifting heavy will not necessarily translate, though it is very important to have strong fast twitch muscle fibers.  It also has has a lot to do with developing the reflexes and mind/muscle connection in order to activate many muscle groups in unison.  Squats are, and will always be, a great exercise for this, because it utilizes so many muscle groups at one time.  Make no mistake, though; fast twitch muscle fibers are the ones utilized in explosive movements.

For the record, I am not a personal trainer, but I was for several years and ACE certified for one year. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon