Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Mortensen takes leave from ESPN; treatment for throat cancer

Started by jbcarol, January 15, 2016, 03:28:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

longtimeHogfan

A little more about Chris and his comments....Thoughts and prayers to him and his family and friends....

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/01/175700/
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Tweeter

One of the good guys in media....Prayers for him and his family.

LLPL

My Great Uncle died of that last night. I am sitting right now in my moms room at UAMS as she recovers from surgery to remove cancer of the esophagus. Nothing fun about this stuff.

Is Mort still living in Bella Vista? I saw Alex on the sideline during the title game for Bama.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: LLPL on January 15, 2016, 04:29:45 pm
My Great Uncle died of that last night. I am sitting right now in my moms room at UAMS as she recovers from surgery to remove cancer of the esophagus. Nothing fun about this stuff.

Is Mort still living in Bella Vista? I saw Alex on the sideline during the title game for Bama.

I guess Mort still maintains a home in Bella Vista.....I run into him occasionally at Lowes and elsewhere.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

swineology

Vantage 8 dude

Absolutely he needs our thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for a full recovery, Mort. 

sickboy

EastexHawg

I didn't think he looked or sounded well last week or whenever it was I saw him with Adam Schefter.  I pray for a good outcome.

GoldenCOHog

His kid was a Hog...good dude...Chris is a class act and we will be praying for him.  Godspeed sir. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 15, 2016, 05:04:16 pm
I guess Mort still maintains a home in Bella Vista.....I run into him occasionally at Lowes and elsewhere.
That's neat, how he's still lived here all this time.

Also true how most everyone who moves to Arkansas tend to stay.

Get well, Chris.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Good luck and prayers sent Mort.

I wonder what brought this on, smoking?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

sowmonella

Quote from: LLPL on January 15, 2016, 04:29:45 pm

Alex is a GA for Bama. Prayers for Mort and the family.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

stahawg

Hate to hear of Mortensen's diagnosis. I am sure he will put up a successful fight. But hearing the news, reminded me that I think I saw Chris (his son and former Hog) on the Bama sidelines during the NC game against Clemson.  Anyone know if that was actually him? Is he getting into coaching?

ricepig

Alex is a GA at Bama.

stahawg

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Squealers

Mort was my neighbor before I moved off Lake Windsor in Bella Vista to another house there.  He is as good of a guy as you see on TV, always genuine, approachable and humble.  We have sat next to each other on many flights out of XNA.

Prayers for Mort, and lets hope he is in the 30% crowd.  I also have a good friend here in NWA who survived this very same cancer and is doing exceptional today!
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

b-ash

My dad had the same diagnosis 5 years ago.  He had a large segment of his esophagus removed at UAMS.  After many complications and 75 days in icu he went home cancer free.  He had to learn how to talk, eat, and walk again.  He is still alive and cancer free today.  It took a toll on him and his life has been harder, but he has gotten to experience many things he would have missed.  Thoughts and prayers to Mort.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Squealers on January 17, 2016, 11:31:38 am
Mort was my neighbor before I moved off Lake Windsor in Bella Vista to another house there.  He is as good of a guy as you see on TV, always genuine, approachable and humble.  We have sat next to each other on many flights out of XNA.

Prayers for Mort, and lets hope he is in the 30% crowd.  I also have a good friend here in NWA who survived this very same cancer and is doing exceptional today!

^^^^
This! Squealers what part of Windsor did you live on? I was on the south side off of Pimlico.  I would run in Mort about monthly in Giasano's as we were picking up pizza to go. Always cordial, unassuming and friendly to everyone he met.

I know he'll kick this in the rear!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 16, 2016, 04:27:44 am
Respectfully, I'm getting very tired of cancer assaulting people who have brought me pleasure, joy, and knowledge.

This.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Squealers

Quote from: GolfnHog on January 18, 2016, 09:27:10 am
^^^^
This! Squealers what part of Windsor did you live on? I was on the south side off of Pimlico.  I would run in Mort about monthly in Giasano's as we were picking up pizza to go. Always cordial, unassuming and friendly to everyone he met.

I know he'll kick this in the rear!

Lived on Mayfair.  Mort's house is one of the two that the Coopers build for their family and ultimately sold.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

WaltonCollege

his son was a scout team QB when Petrino was here, used to hang out at the HPER and ball it up with him. Prayers for Mort.

DeltaBoy

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 25, 2016, 12:19:07 pm
Cancer sucks.  It affects everybody one way or another.  Billions spent in R&D to develop a cure and we aren't even close.

In the lobby of St. Jude's in Memphis there used to be a graph showing the life expectancy of different cancers in 1970 (+/-?) compared to today.  In almost every case life expectancy has improved by decades.

No, we're not there yet, but we're closer than we were. 

jbcarol

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 25, 2016, 12:19:07 pm
Cancer sucks.  It affects everybody one way or another.  Billions spent in R&D to develop a cure and we aren't even close.
Unfortunately this insidious disease is certainly an "equal opportunity" illness. It respects no one. I not only pray for Mort, but also root for the day when the terrible impact of cancer is a thing of the past. 

oldfart

one of many problems in finding a cure is that there are many types of cancer. not sure that one cure fixes all. many advances have been made but we all pray for final victory

jchill

Prayers to Chris. ESPN has had the worse luck with cancer.

goodguytex

Thoughts and prayers going up for Chris and his family. Cancer hurts everyone. I don't know if any family that hasn't lost someone to this horrible disease. My mom just got diagnosed with skin cancers on her nose last week. I hope to live to see it cured some day.

jbcarol

DeltaBoy

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/746397135877382144

QuoteTHIBODAUX, La. — It's strange not to see Chris Mortensen at the Manning Passing Academy. He continues to fight a battle with throat cancer.

To lend their support, the Manning Family, the counselors and campers in attendance, and all those lending a hand around the Nicholls State University campus wore "MPA for Mort" wristbands to let Mortensen know there are those rooting for him.

"Chris Mortensen is a huge part of our camp," Archie Manning said on Friday. "He's our friend. He comes out and rides around with me. He's got a real battle going on. We prayed for him, and all of our campers are wearing these 'MPA for Mort' in Denver colors. Everyone's got them. He's fighting and he's going to get through this."

LSU quarterback Brandon Harris spoke for his fellow counselors of the Manning Passing Academy when he wished Mortensen nothing but good fortune.

"Obviously, Chris Mortensen is a reporter. He does a great job in what he does," said Harris. "He went to Arkansas. Obviously, it's sad whenever you see someone like Chris Mortensen get cancer. He means so much to the league, so much to the NFL, to sports in general. You wish him all the best. He's a first-class individual and somebody I've got to meet before and heard nothing but positive things about."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 12m12 minutes ago

The news of John Saunders' death could not be more crushing. We all loved him dearly. We grieve. We will miss him. Can't replace the man.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/763391909918375936

jbcarol

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said in a press release that he is healthy enough to focus on recovery and a return to work:

Quote"I received very encouraging news last week from my oncologist team of doctors at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center that now enables me to completely focus on recovery rather than treatment," Mortensen said in the release. "The Stage IV throat (oropharyngel) cancer that was diagnosed in early January and treated with intensive chemotherapy and radiation has been virtually reduced to zero detection of the disease through the latest scans and exams."

He went on to say that he expects to be covering the NFL in a limited capacity this season.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jbcarol

sowmonella

Anyone know how Chris Mortenson is doing? Also does anyone know what Aaron Peters is doing these days. I wish them both a better 2017.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

regi

Mort was on the radio in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, he is doing well, progressing better than some expected, is how it was put. He sounded good. The radio host had testicular CA as a young man, so he was happy to share the news on Mort.

HognitiveDissonance