Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Simpson has passed on, he called the 1978 Orange Bowl and praised Sales!

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, January 13, 2016, 09:11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSkiesAtNightHog

"There goes that man Sales again!"  His broadcast partner for that game was Merlin Olson if I remember correctly.  I also seem to recall Simpson doing some Arkansas-Ole Miss games in the 80's along with an Arkansas-Navy game in Little Rock around 1984.

Rest in peace.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/14562344/hall-fame-sportscaster-jim-simpson-one-espn-first-dies-88

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent for his family and friends.  He did a great job. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

welchog

I remember the '78 Orange Bowl because I was there, but have watched the taped telecast and heard him praise the Hogs.  He even alluded to the Hogs for consideration for the NC.  One last thing, he even mentioned that our BB team was undefeated at the time (Triplets- Brewer, Delph, Moncrief).

Tejano Jawg

Jim Simpson will forever be linked to Arkansas, in one of the best games ever seen on TV by Hog fans. And will always be one of the best ever. A sad day.

The night of the Orange Bowl, I did a kinda funny thing. I had my portable cassette recorder next to me in the living room, as I watched with my mom and dad. Every now and then, I'd reach over and hit the 'record' button randomly. I don't have a tape-full or anything, but I did happen to catch several of our great plays, including a few by Roland Sales. And lots of Simpson commentary, along with screaming from my folks and me. The best one I got, remembering back, hearing the click of the recorder as Calcagni was lining us up...the ball snapped...then Barnabus White tearing straight up the middle, like he was shot out of a cannon, for our last touchdown. So sweet...that last major dagger.

"This is Jim Simpson, with Merlin Olson, signing off from the Orange Bowl..."
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 14, 2016, 11:50:23 am
Jim Simpson will forever be linked to Arkansas, in one of the best games ever seen on TV by Hog fans. And will always be one of the best ever. A sad day.

The night of the Orange Bowl, I did a kinda funny thing. I had my portable cassette recorder next to me in the living room, as I watched with my mom and dad. Every now and then, I'd reach over and hit the 'record' button randomly. I don't have a tape-full or anything, but I did happen to catch several of our great plays, including a few by Roland Sales. And lots of Simpson commentary, along with screaming from my folks and me. The best one I got, remembering back, hearing the click of the recorder as Calcagni was lining us up...the ball snapped...then Barnabus White tearing straight up the middle, like he was shot out of a cannon, for our last touchdown. So sweet...that last major dagger.

Good Memories and we are losing so many of the Great Radio and TV Broadcasters !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Jackrabbit Hog

Thanks for bringing up Barnabas White.  Wasn't he from Marianna?  I remember he was fast as greased lightning.  Saw him run track in high school.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

hogwxld

Thanks Delta. That was 3 1/2  hrs of the way way back machine to my childhood. Watched every minute, including the commercials. i KNEW commercials didnt last 5 mins when I was a kid  like they do now. 1-2 commercials and back to the game was great. Refs didnt have mic's, but the coaches did...that was cool. I had even forgotten somehow how they marked off penalties.

+1 for prayer before the game by Broyles and for players with broken bones getting up and limping off the field like warriors in a battle.

Nutt hasn't changed much in 40 years.

Lou Holtz looked like a genius, and Simpson was probably right in that having Kiffin as DC was a huge advantage.

15,000 Razorback fans travelling to Miami  in 1978. Would have loved to have seen that convoy! Road trip!

LZH

Excellent story. I was in my pajamas, sprawled out on the bright orange carpet (hey, it was the 70's) that we had in our then-new house that my dad had built the previous June.

Memories like that stay with you forever.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 14, 2016, 01:56:17 pm
Thanks for bringing up Barnabas White.  Wasn't he from Marianna?  I remember he was fast as greased lightning.  Saw him run track in high school.

I doubt I knew much about Barnabas White before that game...remember, we had Cowins and Forest (well, prior to the Orange Bowl). Doubt he saw the field too much. But Simpson/Olson did talk about his speed...I believe he was on the UA track team.

Quote from: LZH on January 14, 2016, 10:30:07 pm
Excellent story. I was in my pajamas, sprawled out on the bright orange carpet (hey, it was the 70's) that we had in our then-new house that my dad had built the previous June.

Memories like that stay with you forever.

Our house was a 1976 vintage...with high-low shag carpet. LOL. And I was sitting in my big green upholstered 'homework' chair.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DeltaBoy

Watched it in the Living room Orange and brown shag on a RCA Entertainment Center with a 24 inch screen. It was one of the few games my Mother stayed in the Living room and watched the whole thing with us.  I remember having Hot Dogs and Rotel Cheese dip with Ruffles during Half Time.

Jackrabbit Hog

I was there, just below the upper deck.  Possibly the most satisfying win I've ever witnessed in person.  We controlled the entire game, start to finish.  Reggie Freeman was a beast on defense.  Little's quick kick late in the game was perfect and essentially salted the game away.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 15, 2016, 09:37:28 am
I was there, just below the upper deck.  Possibly the most satisfying win I've ever witnessed in person.  We controlled the entire game, start to finish.  Reggie Freeman was a beast on defense.  Little's quick kick late in the game was perfect and essentially salted the game away.

That is a great memory our Mail man and his wife went and he would talk your ear off about it till the day he died.

jswineberiaskirk

I was so wound up I couldn't get to sleep after it was over. Had to go back to school the next day!

Where we lived we only got one channel on TV = KYTV out of Springfield, MO. NBC affiliate, which is why I became and remain a Raiders fan. I enjoyed that game so much as I hardly ever got to see Arkansas on TV.

Curt Gowdy, Simpson, Charlie Jones, loved all the NBC announcers. Don Criqui was good as well a little later.

elksnort

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 14, 2016, 01:56:17 pm
Barnabas was from Marion/West Memphis.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: elksnort on January 18, 2016, 02:20:16 pm
Barnabas was from Marion/West Memphis.

Thanks!  I knew it was one of those "M" towns in extreme eastern Arkansas.

Marion, Marianna...what's the difference?     ;)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jswineberiaskirk on January 18, 2016, 02:10:35 pm
Curt Gowdy, Simpson, Charlie Jones, loved all the NBC announcers. Don Criqui was good as well a little later.

Don't forget Curt's partner, Al Derogatis.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

DeltaBoy

IMO the 1970's and most of the 1980's we had GREAT National Broadcasters covering College Football.   That why I mute 80% of the game and listen to it on the radio online.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 15, 2016, 09:37:28 am

Lots of good stuff here JRH. As great as the game was just watching on TV, can't imagine being there. Well, grouped with that game in terms of heavy underdog, but winning in blowout fashion, was the 1981 Texas game. I was at that one. Both games had the tone set early...we forced a turnover right off the bat, then NEVER looked back.

Reggie Freeman came to Bentonville and spoke to our FCA group (actually, with a lot of these Orange Bowl studs, including Sales). Freeman was MVP/Defensively. Think about our front 3—Freeman, Hampton, Walker! And, try this out—our secondary didn't allow a pass or run longer than about 35 yards all year. The best D we ever had and the best D in the country that year.

I remember how exciting Little's quick-kick was at the time. Genius. And one last kick to the nuts of the Sooners.

code red

I watched that entire game the other day.  Man...how things have changed.  Did you all notice the Arkansas crowd was on the field before the end of the game?  Mingling with players on the sideline with several ticks left on the clock?  I guess I just forgot.  Good stuff.  Houston Nutt was the back up QB and running for his life...love it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Iwastherein1969

Actually, not to be a "bill buzz" here......it was not Calcagni that handed the ball to Barnabas White, it was TCTWF, The Monkey with a Whistle, Hooten, Hootie, "I called that play Chuck and it was a good play, Chuck"...why OU even played the QB on that is a mystery as TCTWF was as slow as yeast rising...Nevertheless, I'm proud of Barnabas and Jim Simpson, the man who almost always wore a Cowboy hat was a master at his craft. Mr Simpson lived what, 87 years ?  I'd take that right now and be happy that I had lived a full life....RIP  Mr Simpson, "and Razorback fans all over the world will be Pig Sooooieing all night long tonight"...that was his comment on Barnabas White "legging into the endzone" as the color commentator said.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 21, 2016, 11:32:30 am
Reggie Freeman came to Bentonville and spoke to our FCA group (actually, with a lot of these Orange Bowl studs, including Sales). Freeman was MVP/Defensively.

When I was in the 10th grade about eight guys off of our high school team went to Fayetteville for an FCA "Razorback Round-up" weekend.  I still have the t-shirt from that weekend (it's now about 4 sizes too small).  Anyway, the counselor for the small group I was placed in was Reggie Freeman.  I think he was a freshman on the Hill at the time and I wasn't familiar with him, but he made a huge impression on me.  Very sincere, very devout, very gregarious personality.  I became a huge fan and that's one of the reasons I was so happy at how the Orange Bowl played out a couple of years later.  It was Reggie's finest hour as a Hog on the field.  I've often wondered where he is now and what he's doing.  He was the type that seemed like he would be a success no matter what he decided to do.

Other memories from that FCA weekend...

1.  We rode a school bus to Fayetteville; stopped in NLR on the way to pick up players from Sylvan Hills High, NLR High, Northeast High, Hall High and Central High.  Two Central guys that didn't ride our bus but followed behind us in a car were HDN and Robert Farrell.

2.  We slept on the astroturf floor of the new Broyles indoor practice facility (now the Broyles Center under the jumbotron in the north endzone).  I was in awe of my surroundings.

3.  At the end of the weekend we chose sides for a flag football game on the Razorback Stadium field.  One of my teammates was Emmanual Tolbert from Central (who went on to star at SMU).  It was cold and he didn't have a coat, so I let him wear my football jacket during the game.  He was small but quick as a cat.

Tejano Jawg

Some good names there JRH...Nutt (well, you know) and the great Robert Farrell. I remember Tolbert...called "ET". He was terrific...I did't know he was an Arkie. Didn't he have some ridiculous catch-to-td ratio? He may have led the country in td catches one year.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 21, 2016, 12:52:06 pm
Some good names there JRH...Nutt (well, you know) and the great Robert Farrell. I remember Tolbert...called "ET". He was terrific...I did't know he was an Arkie. Didn't he have some ridiculous catch-to-td ratio? He may have led the country in td catches one year.

Yep, he was "ET" before the movie by that name came out.  And he almost singlehandedly beat Arkansas one year for SMU, catching about 4 TDs in a game that was played in Shreveport, of all places.  Don't ask me why, but I was there.

Sadly, Tolbert went the Alvin Robertson route.  As I recall, his years after college were marked by sexual assault type charges.  I think he did time; not sure where he is now. 

hogsevenseven

I watched the replay of the Orange Bowl a few nights ago. I couldn't believe how much of the game I didn't remember. Watched it all live on TV, but, man, my memory of it is horrible. I sure didn't remember that Trent Bryant had such a good game. I did know that Sales set the rusting record, but he also did some damage as a receiver. I did remember very well that Barnabas White scored last TD, but not that HDN even played in the game.

Watched it in '78 with my best friend who died a few years ago . it was great. He and I slso watched the basketball game together where US Reed hit the bomb at buzzer to beat L'ville.

Ah, the memories.

DeltaBoy

It was a great time to be a Hog Fan.  Several Delta Farmers won big and their wives were sporting 1978 Caddys that Spring.