Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jay Jacobs to step down as Auburn AD, Long

Started by ricepig, November 03, 2017, 03:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

No way them Awlburn boys want someone with integrity.

"If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"

Justifiable Hogicide

Auburn is not about hire an AD dumb enough to fire Bobby Petrino over what Long did.

Dwight_K_Shrute

It's just lazy writers throwing out the same list of names they always do.  Bigger jobs have come and gone and JL has not left.  He's not going to dip his toe into that cesspool.  Use some common sense.  The GOBN here is more than enough for him but pales in comparison to that at Auburn.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

phadedhawg

Auburn will have to clean up their own mess before they can steal out of state talent to take over the AD job.  Any AD would be crazy to take over that mess with an FBI investigation ongoing.

Dark Helmet Hog

Long is the HDN of athletic directors. His name will keep popping up with every job opening for a while until he destroys our program and no one else wants him.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 03, 2017, 05:34:08 pm
Long is the HDN of athletic directors. His name will keep popping up with every job opening for a while until he destroys our program and no one else wants him.
Big difference.  Long is highly regarded in the AD and college president's world.  Nutt was not and is not.  Otherwise he would have another job by now.  Pretty obvious the AD's of the world have no interest in HDN. 

I just don't see Jeff Long as a fit for Auburn and I would think both sides know that.

LZH

Jeff Long just wanted his name thrown in there to look like a bad ass so that way when he screws up another head-coaching hire, he will at least look like he went for a killer and not another milk toast mediocre coach.

hog911

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 03, 2017, 05:34:08 pm
If JL was truly sought after he won't be here! It's all smoke and mirror and another way to get himself a raise!

Tusks

I still wish I knew what JL has done for the hogs to make him such a highly regarded AD.  I think it's self promoting BS.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jack The BN

I don't know why you guys complain about Long so much. We've got ball park hot dogs at the concession stand. Life is good!
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

farmhawg

Obviously being in the top ten ad's long will be chosen at Auburn. How could they pass on him?

Like Nebraska....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Rayzback

I'd read that him and Gus didn't get along. Wonder what this means for Malzahn?
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

HardCore

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 03, 2017, 06:17:06 pm
Long is highly regarded in the AD and college president's world. 

And the runway at XNA is smoking hot with University Gulfstream's flying in to acquire his services. 
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

jkstock04

Quote from: Rayzback on November 03, 2017, 08:28:56 pm
I had heard a few weeks back that it was either going to be Malzahn or Jacobs head on the chopping block. By that wisdom this means Gus is safe.

Not sure I believe that though. Losing to Bama a few years in a row will get any coach there fired. They for sure wanna win.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Rayzback

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 03, 2017, 08:41:53 pm
I had heard a few weeks back that it was either going to be Malzahn or Jacobs head on the chopping block. By that wisdom this means Gus is safe.

Not sure I believe that though. Losing to Bama a few years in a row will get any coach there fired. They for sure wanna win.

Thought the same....    or did they want a new AD in place to pick the next coach.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Hoggish1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 03, 2017, 04:33:28 pm
It's just lazy writers throwing out the same list of names they always do.

Enough said.  Bingo...

Torqued pork

Quote from: tusked on November 03, 2017, 07:46:59 pm

I still wish I knew what JL has done for the hogs to make him such a highly regarded AD.  I think it's self promoting BS.
It's his thespian skills. His tears at the announcement of Petrino's leaving rank up there with Denzel Washington's in Glory during the whipping post scene.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 03, 2017, 08:41:53 pm

Jacobs has been taking a lot of heat for the softball scandal and basketball problems with the FBI. Couple that with a lot fans being unhappy with Gus, it's a wonder Jacobs has hung on this long.

Cure

Quote from: LZH on November 03, 2017, 06:30:25 pm
Jeff Long just wanted his name thrown in there to look like a bad ass so that way when he screws up another head-coaching hire, he will at least look like he went for a killer and not another milk toast mediocre coach.
Long didn't screw up hiring Bielema. I hope fans don't truly believe this.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

hawgon

Sounds like they need an integrity injection to get them through this basketball scandal.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 03, 2017, 04:33:28 pm
It's just lazy writers throwing out the same list of names they always do. 

They (and most anybody else) probably only know about 3 AD's names at all, whether they're any good or not.  So every job opening that comes up gets the same 3 AD's mentioned for the job.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

EastexHawg

Nothing.  Long isn't going to Auburn.  His work here isn't finished.  Faint though it is, the football program has a slight pulse.

HardCore

Quote from: Cure on November 03, 2017, 09:05:51 pm

No.......No.  It's worked out really well.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

East Clintwood

Yes, he most certainly did screw it up. 

He got Bert's love letter and he did a wikipedia level investigation of his resume and then hired him.  On the surface it looked fine but there was much there to indicate that it wouldn't work. If he had dug into the situation at all, he could have seen that Bert and system was not a good fit at Arkansas and the the deck was stacked against him being successful here.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jkstock04

Quote from: hawgon on November 03, 2017, 09:07:15 pm
Sounds like they need an integrity injection to get them through this basketball scandal.
LOL. Perfect scenario...I think they could use an AD like Jeff Long to clean up their "win first" mentality that seems to plague their program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cure

Quote from: HardCore on November 03, 2017, 09:10:04 pm
No.......No.  It's worked out really well.
It hasn't worked out the way he's hoped I'm sure, but grabbing a successful head coach from a P5 school is not a bad hire. He gave him time to build his program, which is all any coach could ask from their AD.

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 03, 2017, 09:13:19 pm

He got Bert's love letter and he did a wikipedia level investigation of his resume and then hired him. 
Oh, so that's how it worked? I understand.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

PygmalionEffect2

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

hobhog

Quote from: LZH on November 03, 2017, 06:30:25 pm

He didn't throw his name in there. But carry on....

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 03, 2017, 06:17:06 pm
Big difference.  Long is highly regarded in the AD and college president's world.  Nutt was not and is not.  Otherwise he would have another job by now.  Pretty obvious the AD's of the world have no interest in HDN. 

You failed to see the deeper meaning here. That's ok. Carry on.

gchamblee

He got Bert's love letter and he did a wikipedia level investigation of his resume and then hired him.  On the surface it looked fine but there was much there to indicate that it wouldn't work. If he had dug into the situation at all, he could have seen that Bert and system was not a good fit at Arkansas and the the deck was stacked against him being successful here.

The most impressive part of your post is that you actually believe this.

gchamblee

Jeff Longs name keeps coming up in these AD searches, not because he puts his name out there, but that he is high on everyone's list due to his reputation and how highly respected he is to those that matter in these types of searches. Watching people who are butthurt over CBB not working out here slide their chapped asses across the carpet is comedy.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on November 04, 2017, 01:06:19 am
Jeff Longs name keeps coming up in these AD searches, not because he puts his name out there, but that he is high on everyone's list due to his reputation and how highly respected he is to those that matter in these types of searches. Watching people who are butthurt over CBB not working out here slide their chapped asses across the carpet is comedy.

Chumlee defends Long and CBB....again. Dude must get paid- its all he does. Damn Russians
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GuvHog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 03, 2017, 08:58:47 pm
Jacobs has been taking a lot of heat for the softball scandal and basketball problems with the FBI. Couple that with a lot fans being unhappy with Gus, it's a wonder Jacobs has hung on this long.

That's exactly why Jeff Long would be a good fit for Auburn. After the scandals, they need to clean things up and he would be the perfect one to do that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HardCore

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on November 04, 2017, 06:07:03 am
Chumlee defends Long and CBB....again. Dude must get paid- its all he does. Damn Russians
They know they have been dead wrong about everything they have pushed so hard and it's their only defense. Comical really. I've never seen anything like it. Even staring right in the face of their extremely hard fought agenda sinking to the depths of hilarity they are defiant.

Just so you know, in case you haven't heard...Bielema is still a high end wondrous coach...Jeff Long was an absolute genius for hiring him. "It just didn't work out here." Bielema has just been an unlucky guy. If the tandem of Jeff Long and Bielema were at a different place than Arkansas not only would they be bringing home integrity national championships every year, they would also be winning football national championships.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

As a disclaimer: I'd like to see Bielema gone at the end of this season.

As for Long's choice of Bielema, his hire (based in part on his success at Wisconsin) looked like a home run at the time due to the facts that:

1. He was an advocate of players getting to class, staying out of trouble, getting their degrees.
2. He embraced a strong R/S Program.
3. Didn't depend on getting high ranking recruiting classes to have success.
4. He put a lot of emphasis on long term player development to sustain success in a program.
5. His background growing up on a farm might make him a better fit for a state like Arkansas.
6. He had won conference titles and gone to a lot of bowls at a major P-5 school.

On the surface, to many if not most of us, this did indeed look like a home run hire and we weren't the only ones who thought that was true.

Bielema wanted this job pretty badly but I think he underestimated the level of the challenge, especially with regard to recruiting in the SEC. Higher ranked talent didn't gravitate to Arkansas based on Bielema's name and record as he thought they would. There have been several reasons for that.

I believe that Long thought that if a HC could have the level of success at Wisconsin that Bielema had, while instilling discipline on and off the field as well as in the classroom and academics (Long's hot button), that he could surely emulate the same success at Arkansas.

So did Long whiff on the hire of Bielema? Well of course hindsight is 20/20 but there were very few (aside from those blatantly biased in favor of BP at the time) that didn't say that this was a great hire. It produced great expectations.

It didn't turn out to be the success that everyone (including Bielema and Long) had hoped to see, but the initial hire was thought to be a home run.
Go Hogs Go!

BR

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 04, 2017, 06:43:11 am
As a disclaimer: I'd like to see Bielema gone at the end of this season.

As for Long's choice of Bielema, his hire (based in part on his success at Wisconsin) looked like a home run at the time due to the facts that:

1. He was an advocate of players getting to class, staying out of trouble, getting their degrees.
2. He embraced a strong R/S Program.
3. Didn't depend on getting high ranking recruiting classes to have success.
4. He put a lot of emphasis on long term player development to sustain success in a program.
5. His background growing up on a farm might make him a better fit for a state like Arkansas.
6. He had won conference titles and gone to a lot of bowls at a major P-5 school.

On the surface, to many if not most of us, this did indeed look like a home run hire and we weren't the only ones who thought that was true.

Bielema wanted this job pretty badly but I think he underestimated the level of the challenge, especially with regard to recruiting in the SEC. Higher ranked talent didn't gravitate to Arkansas based on Bielema's name and record as he thought they would. There have been several reasons for that.

I believe that Long thought that if a HC could have the level of success at Wisconsin that Bielema had, while instilling discipline on and off the field as well as in the classroom and academics (Long's hot button), that he could surely emulate the same success at Arkansas.

So did Long whiff on the hire of Bielema? Well of course hindsight is 20/20 but there were very few (aside from those blatantly biased in favor of BP at the time) that didn't say that this was a great hire. It produced great expectations.

It didn't turn out to be the success that everyone (including Bielema and Long) had hoped to see, but the initial hire was thought to be a home run.
I agree with this 100%, nice job MuskogeeHogFan.. Realistic views and what I thought when he was hired.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

parallaxpig

He loses to Alabama and Georgia then he's bye bye........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

parallaxpig

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on November 04, 2017, 07:27:00 am
The FBI report is due out this week.

Will they take Pearl out during game in handcuffs. I think that would make ESPN's top 10 plays of the day.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ChicoHog

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 07:38:02 am
Will they take Pearl out during game in handcuffs. I think that would make ESPN's top 10 plays of the day.
That would make my day.  He is a scumbag, used car salesman.

I think Malzahn may survive because the new AD would want a say in the football coach hire.   Unless he loses to A&M, UGA and Bama.  Then it probably doesn't matter. 

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on November 04, 2017, 06:07:03 am

which part of my post do you think isnt true?

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 04, 2017, 06:41:02 am
They know they have been dead wrong about everything they have pushed so hard and it's their only defense. Comical really. I've never seen anything like it. Even staring right in the face of their extremely hard fought agenda sinking to the depths of hilarity they are defiant.

Just so you know, in case you haven't heard...Bielema is still a high end wondrous coach...Jeff Long was an absolute genius for hiring him. "It just didn't work out here." Bielema has just been an unlucky guy. If the tandem of Jeff Long and Bielema were at a different place than Arkansas not only would they be bringing home integrity national championships every year, they would also be winning football national championships.

? literally nobody has said this lol

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Cure on November 03, 2017, 09:24:50 pm
It hasn't worked out the way he's hoped I'm sure, but grabbing a successful head coach from a P5 school is not a bad hire. He gave him time to build his program, which is all any coach could ask from their AD.
Oh, so that's how it worked? I understand.
Dude, you're trying to use logic and reasoning on HV...Waaaaay too many jackholes on here that want to debate (unintelligently) facts and common sense all for a cheap laugh or a crappy attempt to "HV Shame" you...Dumb down your facts, leave holes in your story and you'll fit right on in...😑

jkstock04

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on November 04, 2017, 09:12:16 am
Dude, you're trying to use logic and reasoning on HV...Waaaaay too many jackholes on here that want to debate (unintelligently) facts and common sense all for a cheap laugh or a crappy attempt to "HV Shame" you...Dumb down your facts, leave holes in your story and you'll fit right on in...😑

Absolutely. Because hiring a big 10 retread who was going to bring us a smashmouth offensive line and stout defense with zero team speed was a great idea from the get go.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cinco de Hogo

The only fans saying stuff like this are the ones that don't understand what kind of coach Arkansas needs, which Long didn't.   Just because you got a name don't mean diddle.  Long made a mistake and a lot of people knew it at the time.  Most of us still hoped and gave it time but it never "felt" like it would work out.