Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game v. Memphis St. or Ole Miss back in the 70's?

Started by revolution, December 16, 2014, 01:57:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

revolution

December 16, 2014, 01:57:32 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:18:57 pm by revolution
Help me out.  I was talking with a friend this morning about the first memories we had in various sports, and I mentioned a game I listened to on radio when the Eddie Sutton coached Hogs played v. Memphis St. back in the 70's and my memory is that the Hogs won and left the court, but then were ordered back out of the locker room by officials to re-play the last minute or so of the game. 

I searched this on the internet today, but didn't find anything about that game.  Am I remembering an actual event or not?  Let me know anything about that game or if I can find a game report somewhere.

Thanks and Go HOGS!

revolution

Looking at historical data, the Hogs beat Ole Miss in Memphis in 1978 by a score of 67-66.  Could that be the game I'm remembering?

thirrdegreetusker

Hogs v Memphis in the 70s under Sutton:

76-77....L.....LR
77-78....W....Away
78-79....W....LR
79-80....L.....Away

revolution

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 16, 2014, 02:27:34 pm
Hogs v Memphis in the 70s under Sutton:

76-77....L.....LR
77-78....W....Away
78-79....W....LR
79-80....L.....Away

Right, none of those games v. Memphis St. fit what I'm thinking about.  That's why I suggested maybe the game I'm remembering was against Ole Miss in Memphis.  That was a 1-point Hog victory.

But maybe I don't remember correctly.  Just seems like there was some real funny business in a game the Hogs played in Memphis when I was first beginning to be aware of Hog basketball.  Maybe some other old-timer can help me out.

strickark

There was such a game in Springfield MO against SW Missouri State in the late '70's.  I was a student at UA and a car load of us drove up to the game. If I was guessing it was 1976-1977 season.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: revolution on December 16, 2014, 02:34:30 pm
Just seems like there was some real funny business in a game the Hogs played in Memphis when I was first beginning to be aware of Hog basketball.  Maybe some other old-timer can help me out.

SECT in Memphis in 97, maybe? Hogs were slow coming out of a timeout, Hog's ball out-of-bounds, so the ref set the ball down and started the count. Hogs lost to Geo by 2.

Danny J

Call Rick Schaeffer on DTS....he is on the air right now and he will know.

PonderinHog

You may be thinking of the 1972 Olympic game between the USA and Russia.    ;)

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 16, 2014, 05:37:30 pm
You may be thinking of the 1972 Olympic game between the USA and Russia.    ;)

That's the one I was thinking of.......

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PonderinHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 16, 2014, 09:23:44 pm
Yep.....
I think that was the first time I felt total outrage towards the officials of a sporting event.  No, it was the second time.  How could I forget about the '71 Liberty Bowl?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 16, 2014, 09:41:46 pm
I think that was the first time I felt total outrage towards the officials of a sporting event.  No, it was the second time.  How could I forget about the '71 Liberty Bowl?
Yeah, the officiating in that '71 Liberty Bowl was comical.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jbell96

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 17, 2014, 05:49:18 am
Yeah, the officiating in that '71 Liberty Bowl was comical.

I think I remember my dad telling me about some BS penalty that allowed Tennessee to get the win.

DeltaBoy

We had some knock down drag outs with Keith Lee and those Memphis High boys.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorbackkid

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 17, 2014, 09:16:21 am
We had some knock down drag outs with Keith Lee and those Memphis High boys.

Keith Lee and Michael Cage were on the same West Memphis H.S. team.  I played at Valley View H.S. in the '70's and got the chance to play some pick up games at Arkansas St in the old Indian Fieldhouse against both of these guys.  Still got a scar on the top of my head where Cage elbowed me.
Dang near knocked me out.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

mhuff

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 16, 2014, 03:31:49 pm
SECT in Memphis in 97, maybe? Hogs were slow coming out of a timeout, Hog's ball out-of-bounds, so the ref set the ball down and started the count. Hogs lost to Geo by 2.

Remember that one.

mhuff

Quote from: razorbackkid on December 18, 2014, 08:25:56 am
Keith Lee and Michael Cage were on the same West Memphis H.S. team.  I played at Valley View H.S. in the '70's and got the chance to play some pick up games at Arkansas St in the old Indian Fieldhouse against both of these guys.  Still got a scar on the top of my head where Cage elbowed me.
Dang near knocked me out.  :)

I watched those guys from the time they were in the 8th grade. I think Keith had someone fall on his leg in the 9th grade and break it. It was about as thin as my arm.

MDW

As an earlier poster mentioned, there was a game against Southwest Missouri State played in Springfield where the scenario you mentioned happened.  It wasn't Memphis or Ole Miss.