Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We're #21 in the AP Poll

Started by Hogfaniam, December 15, 2014, 10:35:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

December 15, 2014, 10:35:39 pm Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:53:39 pm by Hogfaniam
We've got 'um right where we want 'um.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Headed the right direction.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Danny J

I think it is possible to break back into the top 25 before we go to UGA. I know some people could care less about rankings but I am not one of them. I think the more weeks we are in the polls, the more we are mentioned, scrolled across the bottom of the tickers and the more players nationwide see us.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Danny J on December 15, 2014, 11:24:13 pm
I think it is possible to break back into the top 25 before we go to UGA. I know some people could care less about rankings but I am not one of them. I think the more weeks we are in the polls, the more we are mentioned, scrolled across the bottom of the tickers and the more players nationwide see us.

Yep, I agree 100% it's a big deal. That's why the Clemson loss hurt so much

Rawker

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 15, 2014, 11:29:44 pm
Yep, I agree 100% it's a big deal. That's why the Clemson loss hurt so much

100% here as well.  Haunting the rankings always helps with continued attention and therefore recruiting.  So it actually does mean a lot over time, despite what people say about rankings not mattering.  And yes the Clemson game really sucked, but you could brood about losses over a 40 year span.  I can think of so many that hurt worse, like last year's "Harris Misses knock-out FTs" against Florida, when that "almost win" might have locked the Hogs for the tourney, along with the surprising Missouri loss at home.  I think the Clemson loss might have been a blessing actually....gave CMA a chance to see clearer than ever who can really be counted on.

jbcarol

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/ua2/2014

Ron Morris and Joey Johnston voted Arkansas at #18.  Matt Vatour voted the Hogs #23.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Iceman

Could be back in the Top 25 when we go to Georgia.

dbhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2014, 08:19:45 am

Not sure how you figure we will be ranked going into the GA game when our opponents before GA are not very good.  We won't get any love in the polls for winning the next 3 games.

latrops

Quote from: dbhog on December 16, 2014, 08:30:55 am
Not sure how you figure we will be ranked going into the GA game when our opponents before GA are not very good.  We won't get any love in the polls for winning the next 3 games.

Less about love for us and more about downgrading those in front of us that lose.  We shouldn't lose for a while, and some in front of us will.  I don't care one way or the other whether we are ranked prior to the UGA game, but I'd love to be ranked after it.  Win @UGA and we are likely looking at a 5-2 start in the SEC at worst, and a possible top 25 spot all season.

Hawg Red

All depends on the schedules of the teams we could jump. It's very possible that most ranked or near-ranked schools are finishing out non-conference play with easy games. If that's the case, we aren't likely to move up into the Top 25 before SEC play.

jbcarol

Hogs get votes from Joey Johnston (16th), Ron Morris, South Carolina (18th), Kevin Brockway, Gators (24th), and Cormac Gordon and Soren Petro (25th).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hog1952

-Blu

How in the world did TCU get ranked with that Charmin extra sensitive with aloe schedule.  Highest RPI they've played was Ole Miss with an RPI of 71, now that was a road win, and that's good.   But most of their wins consists of teams at home with RPIs in the high 200s.  Their SOS is 328!  If the tournament started tomorrow they wouldn't even make the field, their RPI is 69.

kuhog

Quote from: -Blu on December 22, 2014, 04:16:46 pm
How in the world did TCU get ranked with that Charmin extra sensitive with aloe schedule.  Highest RPI they've played was Ole Miss with an RPI of 71, now that was a road win, and that's good.   But most of their wins consists of teams at home with RPIs in the high 200s.  Their SOS is 328!  If the tournament started tomorrow they wouldn't even make the field, their RPI is 69.

TCU won't be ranked again this season after they get their first loss. They are ranked due to being undefeated. Once Big 12 play begins, reality will begin.

opineonswine

UGA got a good win against Seton Hall yesterday.  They will be EXTREMELY tough to beat in Athens and will be favored most likely.  I'm not optimistic about a W there.  Would be awesome if it happens though.

Danny J

Quote from: opineonswine on December 22, 2014, 05:11:14 pm
UGA got a good win against Seton Hall yesterday.  They will be EXTREMELY tough to beat in Athens and will be favored most likely.  I'm not optimistic about a W there.  Would be awesome if it happens though.
yeah....I am not counting a W anywhere except at MSU. Mizzou is looking better....Auburn is looking better and Tennesssee is still undefeated at home.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  7 hours ago
I would not have Ohio State or TCU ranked. Both are in today's AP Poll. Do not reward teams for playing crappy non-league schedules.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Danny J on December 15, 2014, 11:24:13 pm

I agree with you as well.  I understand the thinking that polls dont matter much in December.  I get it, but as you say, its also about having the program out in the public eye especially for recruits.  Being ranked and sometimes getting your highlights on Sportscenter matters to recruits.  For example, a recruit knows that if he goes to play for the Lexington KY Used Car Salesman, he will be on Sportscenter several times a week and his team's highlights will be featured on most all sports shows. 

Now ARK is never going to match KY for media exposure but any time Ark can get mentioned and a recruit can see players with "Razorbacks" on their jerseys on a floor with a big reg hog in the middle with thousands of wild fans going crazy, it makes a difference to that recruit.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Rawker on December 16, 2014, 12:48:32 am
100% here as well.  Haunting the rankings always helps with continued attention and therefore recruiting.  So it actually does mean a lot over time, despite what people say about rankings not mattering.  And yes the Clemson game really sucked, but you could brood about losses over a 40 year span.  I can think of so many that hurt worse, like last year's "Harris Misses knock-out FTs" against Florida, when that "almost win" might have locked the Hogs for the tourney, along with the surprising Missouri loss at home.  I think the Clemson loss might have been a blessing actually....gave CMA a chance to see clearer than ever who can really be counted on.

I certainly do remember those FTs by AHarris.  That was a quality win snatched from our clutches simply because of FTs.  Anyway, I was interested in your last statement.  I did not see the Clemson game.  I kept up with it on my phone.  I remember having what I thought was a comfortable lead with a minute to go only to blow that lead and go into OT.  But I never saw much about the game since it was a loss and I never like to read about losses. LOL Anyway, what did Mike learn?  Who did he learn he could NOT count on and who did he learn he COULD count on?  Im just curious who those players are.  That is a very interesting point about the game.

bigred223

It wasn't all on Harris' free throws. City Clarke missed a wide open, point blank dunk that could have won it as well in that Florida game.

latrops

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 24, 2014, 07:50:33 am
I certainly do remember those FTs by AHarris.  That was a quality win snatched from our clutches simply because of FTs.  Anyway, I was interested in your last statement.  I did not see the Clemson game.  I kept up with it on my phone.  I remember having what I thought was a comfortable lead with a minute to go only to blow that lead and go into OT.  But I never saw much about the game since it was a loss and I never like to read about losses. LOL Anyway, what did Mike learn?  Who did he learn he could NOT count on and who did he learn he COULD count on?  Im just curious who those players are.  That is a very interesting point about the game.

Madden pretty much single-handedly gave that one away by twice dribbling into turnovers in the final minute.  Absolutely atrocious offense to close out that game.  Last year Madden tended to dominate the ball late in close games as well, commonly resulting in a missed perimeter jumper.  He has the confidence to want the ball in those situations, but has too often tended to force bad shots or turn it over.  In the past he was the only trusted ball handler, but with Durham and Beard on board, that role can be spread out a little more.

3kgthog

Beating these 200+ RPI teams isn't going to get us back into the top 25. The voters don't trust us on the road and neither should you. We're only a top 40 team right now, not top 25.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 24, 2014, 09:22:31 am
Beating these 200+ RPI teams isn't going to get us back into the top 25. The voters don't trust us on the road and neither should you. We're only a top 40 team right now, not top 25.
The answer to this has been given at least twice in this thread, DA. It's not so much about who we beat but about those ranked ahead of us who lose. Ever seen a team in college football move up in ranking after a bye week? Okay great, now shut up.

Iwastherein1969

if we're the #32 ranked team in the nation, good Lord, I'd hate to play #31, they must kik some serious azz....NO DAMM way we are the 32nd best basketball team this year..dare I say we beat ANY team on the list and likely beat them badly, with exceptions of maybe UK at THE BUD ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

BigSexyHog

Gonna be a lot of rock kicking
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

lefty08

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 24, 2014, 11:48:49 am
if we're the #32 ranked team in the nation, good Lord, I'd hate to play #31, they must kik some serious azz....NO DAMM way we are the 32nd best basketball team this year..dare I say we beat ANY team on the list and likely beat them badly, with exceptions of maybe UK at THE BUD ?

What?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: latrops on December 24, 2014, 08:14:29 am
Madden pretty much single-handedly gave that one away by twice dribbling into turnovers in the final minute.  Absolutely atrocious offense to close out that game.  Last year Madden tended to dominate the ball late in close games as well, commonly resulting in a missed perimeter jumper.  He has the confidence to want the ball in those situations, but has too often tended to force bad shots or turn it over.  In the past he was the only trusted ball handler, but with Durham and Beard on board, that role can be spread out a little more.

thanks latrops.  I do remember refreshing my phone and seeing a couple times "turnover Madden."  I remember thinking that he is usually so steady or has been steady this season and it was surprising (at least to me) that he was the big culprit down the stretch in a road game.  But others who have seen the Hogs more than I have this year may tell me Ky has been shaky.  I just dont remember it. 

Anyway, Beard and Durham can definitely take some pressure off of Ky at the end of the game.  Good points.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: lefty08 on December 24, 2014, 02:22:12 pm
What?
The rankng does not accurately depict the ability of our team when compared to the other teams in this particular poll.  We are much better than 32nd. Or I could simply say, "we are underrated". Comprende' ?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 24, 2014, 10:57:50 pm
The rankng does not accurately depict the ability of our team when compared to the other teams in this particular poll.  We are much better than 32nd. Or I could simply say, "we are underrated". Comprende' ?

#31 now
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 25, 2014, 02:44:58 am
#31 now
better, but still way off of an accurate rating....we should be anywhere from 12th to 18th in the poll...this is not just a fan drinking the kool-aid...I pay attention to opposing coaches' opinions on the Hogs...in this case, particularly, Larry Brown...Brown is not a coach who uses cliches and 'coach speak' to critique a game nor his opponent...Brown was highly impressed with Arkansas which, with all of Larry Brown's basketball genius taken into account, does nothing but make me realize that we have a dammed good team and will do well once they gel later in the season

ra2ford

Huge Yawn
Is this what you expected years ago when Anderson was announced as returning to Ark.?

Danny J

Quote from: ra2ford on December 25, 2014, 09:03:48 pm
Huge Yawn
Is this what you expected years ago when Anderson was announced as returning to Ark.?
Yes....I expected by year four to be right around the top 25, good shot at making the dance and winning a couple games. Sure. What did you expect? National title contenders?

Adam Stokes

BracketMatrix essentially has us at #25, the highest rated 7 seed. 

http://bracketmatrix.com/

GuvHog

Quote from: Danny J on December 25, 2014, 11:45:35 pm
Yes....I expected by year four to be right around the top 25, good shot at making the dance and winning a couple games. Sure. What did you expect? National title contenders?

I agree. In year 3 of Mike's tenure, I expected improvement to the point of making the NIT and it happened. This year I expect them to make the NCAA tournament and I believe they will. If a coach's team doesn't show some resemblance of a turnaround by years 3 and 4, his chances of getting a 5th year are very slim. Mike is doing well.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

intelligence

Quote from: GuvHog on December 26, 2014, 11:32:52 am
I agree. In year 3 of Mike's tenure, I expected improvement to the point of making the NIT and it happened. This year I expect them to make the NCAA tournament and I believe they will. If a coach's team doesn't show some resemblance of a turnaround by years 3 and 4, his chances of getting a 5th year are very slim. Mike is doing well.
I think alot of us hoped for more in this 4th year, but I think its like you said, Mike is doing well at this point. You can see the vision, it just doesn't always materialize on the court. Maybe if we make the tourney and show out it will give us the recruiting momentum we need to create the monster.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 24, 2014, 07:42:41 am

I agree with you as well.  I understand the thinking that polls dont matter much in December.  I get it, but as you say, its also about having the program out in the public eye especially for recruits.  Being ranked and sometimes getting your highlights on Sportscenter matters to recruits.  For example, a recruit knows that if he goes to play for the Lexington KY Used Car Salesman, he will be on Sportscenter several times a week and his team's highlights will be featured on most all sports shows. 

Now ARK is never going to match KY for media exposure but any time Ark can get mentioned and a recruit can see players with "Razorbacks" on their jerseys on a floor with a big reg hog in the middle with thousands of wild fans going crazy, it makes a difference to that recruit.
I'm with you guys, too. It absolutely makes a difference in recruiting. Especially out of staters. Gives them ammo to combat the locals pushing their hometown teams. Not being an embarrassment matters. Perception matters. Hell, our style of play and black coach combination can be a huge plus for us, but if far flung kids don't know anything about us then we'll certainly never get them. We need to follow up a 20 win season w/ two wins over a sexy Kentucky team with a full season of being ranked. Clemson hurt.

Another aspect is in attendance. We are almost unbeatable at home with a half empty (if we're lucky) arena. Razorback Nation has shucked off some apathy and began care again. They want to be relevant sooooo bad. But there needs to be a spark to get them to spend that money. Top 15 and SEC play starting would have done the trick, I think, to get us to 16-18k. It really would be huge for the program  to fill up The Bud glory-days style. Oh how I want to hear that 20k sound at the games again as Qualls yokes on some fool.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

la20688

I'd rather not be ranked going to Georgia. That just gives them more incentive. If we can steal one down there, rankings will come.

Adam Stokes

#29 in the AP and #30 in the Coaches

jbcarol

Hogs got #17 votes from Joey Johnston and Ron Morris.

Cormac Gordon gave a #22 vote.  Kevin Brockway and Soren Petro each gave #24 votes.

Cecil Hurt put the Hogs at #25.

The other 59 voters, including Bob Holt, did not throw a vote the Hogs' way.

poloprince

Haters gone hate  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

bigred223

According to many posters on here we are absolute garbage and have no chance to beat Georgia. How could we possibly be getting votes?

In all seriousness we win at Georgia and we will probably be ranked for the rest of the season.

intelligence

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: jbcarol on December 22, 2014, 07:32:21 pm
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  7 hours ago
I would not have Ohio State or TCU ranked. Both are in today's AP Poll. Do not reward teams for playing crappy non-league schedules.

Few know that Goodman  had a tryout with the Pistons when dick Vitale was coaching them.  He played overseas and them landed a roll on Roseanne and the rest us history.  Dude looked awful in The aGambler, though.

hogfan10

Which makes that game so much more important. We've got to start building on our successes.

hogfan10

Quote from: bigred223 on December 29, 2014, 03:36:43 pm
According to many posters on here we are absolute garbage and have no chance to beat Georgia. How could we possibly be getting votes?

In all seriousness we win at Georgia and we will probably be ranked for the rest of the season.
Not if we turn around and lose the next game.

TexArkHogFan

Going into SEC play as a ranked team.  Not bad.  Let's hope they can keep the momentum going.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

PonderinHog