Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where things stand

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 15, 2014, 05:28:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas has a top 50 win at SMU. SMU will be solidly top 50 once Markus Kennedy returns. And...Larry Brown.

Dayton could become a top 50 win. The Flyers are bringing along a lot of new starters. They could get a lot of decent wins in conference.

Iona easily could win the MAAC again, with Laury and English. Solid top 100, top 75 kind of win.

Clemson won't look good in the enormous ACC, despite three wins over SEC opponents. Watch them Friday at South Carolina. Should tell a lot. But because the ACC is so strong, Clemson probably won't fall in the "bad loss" category. It has a good chance to stay in the top 100 mainly on schedule strength.

Iowa State has some depth problems. They tried to go to the bench against Southern and gave up 34 points in less than 10 minutes. Makes you think they can only string so many great games together. Big 12 is very strong. But they get a good big man eligible soon. Already have some company on the shellacking list, with Iowa. They only lost by 15, but they were at home, and ISU led by 25 at one point. The Cyclones are likely a top 50, top 30 team.

Next four games are fairly easy, but at least they are not sub-300 types. Non-conference schedule will wind up not being a liability.

In the SEC, top 50 possibles include Kentucky (road), Florida (road), South Carolina (home and away), Georgia (road), Texas A&M (home), Alabama (home), Vanderbilt (home) and LSU (home). Fringe possibles are Tennessee (home and away) and Mississippi (home and away). Any road win is valuable, but the Hogs only have a handful of chances to get a top 50 road win. We know that's not the panacea. Arkansas lost nine road/neutral games to non-NCAAT teams last year, or something like that.

Last year, Georgia was 12-6 in the SEC with road wins over Missouri, MSU, South Carolina and LSU. Had they not lost at Auburn, Georgia might have made the NCAAT. Even after starting the season 1-4. That's how the third place team in the SEC goes to the NIT while fourth place makes the Dance.

Last year, when the SEC ranked sixth among conferences, seven teams won 20+ games, three went dancing. This year, the league might have inched up to fifth. Nine teams have a clean shot at 20+. Does the SEC get four in? Five?

The games I suspect will tell the tale for Arkansas's NCAAT chances are the road games against the bottom of the SEC: Auburn, Missouri, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Tennessee. Win four of those, stay clean at home, and we're talking 24-7 going into the SECT. That would be pretty solid, I suspect.

Now for how Arkansas's going to quit playing a completely different style on the road...
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

By the way, the Big East was the fifth-rated conference last season and got four bids.
[CENSORED]!

gmarv

if we go 24-7 and win 1 in the sec tourney surely we make the tourney. the question should be about seeding right?

Atlhogfan1

We have done a much better job of creating the illusion this ooc season than previous in playing the SOS/RPI game. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

root_hawg

Think 10 seed; will not get as much credit for SMU since they were without their best guy.  Dayton will not get in the tourney this year

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: gmarv on December 15, 2014, 05:41:08 pm
if we go 24-7 and win 1 in the sec tourney surely we make the tourney. the question should be about seeding right?

Yes.  The schedule sets up to where if the Hogs are going to get to 24 before the SECT, they probably need to win 12/13 of their next 15. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JIHawg

IMO, we will be sweating this thing right up until selection Sunday evening.

hogsanity

24-7 will be easily in, regardless of sect results. 23-8 should not be on the bubble either. Any more than 8 losses, and they will be sweating it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 16, 2014, 09:30:57 am
24-7 will be easily in, regardless of sect results. 23-8 should not be on the bubble either. Any more than 8 losses, and they will be sweating it.

So 10-6 in conference. That means at least two road wins, which should not be an issue as weak as SEC is. 11-5 or 12-4 would be much better and I expect that with this team's talent.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hobhog on December 16, 2014, 10:51:26 am
So 10-6 in conference. That means at least two road wins, which should not be an issue as weak as SEC is. 11-5 or 12-4 would be much better and I expect that with this team's talent.
Psst, we play 18 conference games.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on December 16, 2014, 10:51:26 am

they play 18 sec games. Assuming they win the last 4 ooc games, they will be 11-2 heading into conf play. 13-5 or 12-6 should get the job done with no issues.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sportster365

Quote from: gmarv on December 15, 2014, 05:41:08 pm

I've heard a 24-7 record no matter how we get it, should put us in the tournament. Going into conf. play the Hogs will likely be 11-2. In order to get that 24 wins, they'll need to win 13/18 conf. games.  Playing 9 home/9 away.

I like our road chances against
Auburn
Missouri
South Carolina
Miss. St
Ole Miss
Georgia*

The_Iceman

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 16, 2014, 11:12:09 am
I've heard a 24-7 record no matter how we get it, should put us in the tournament. Going into conf. play the Hogs will likely be 11-2. In order to get that 24 wins, they'll need to win 13/18 conf. games.  Playing 9 home/9 away.

I like our road chances against
Auburn
Missouri
South Carolina
Miss. St
Ole Miss
Georgia*

Honestly, I like our road chances against Florida as well. I think loud road environments help us play better (Iowa State being an exception). I always fear for our performance in those half empty, stagnant crowd arenas more than the loud ones.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2014, 11:16:50 am
Honestly, I like our road chances against Florida as well. I think loud road environments help us play better (Iowa State being an exception). I always fear for our performance in those half empty, stagnant crowd arenas more than the loud ones.
totally agree. Seems like we adapt to the level of energy in the building whether hostile or friendly
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Adam Stokes

www.BracketMartix.com

Just updated for the first time in a month.  Arkansas averages out at a 7 seed.  We are in every bracket, ranging from a 5 to 11 seed.  UK at 1, LSU at 8, Florida at 9, and Bama is bubblicious.  (LSU is too high IMO but we'll see.)

elksnort

I just went through the schedule. I'm predicting 21-10 for the regular season.   

blu

12-6 in conf. play. 23-8 going into SECT. At least one win and a 8-10 seed in the NCAAT.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

gmarv

we should be 11-2 going into conference play.our 9 games at home looks very winnable it looks like we have a realistic shot in 8 road games we need 4 of those to improve on last years road record.5 and I would be a happy little razorback.

3kgthog

I still can't believe so many think winning road games in the SEC should be fairly easy for us since the SEC is allegedly terrible.

Kevin

22 on the bubble
23 or more win for sure in
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2014, 11:16:50 am
I always fear for our performance in those half empty, stagnant crowd arenas more than the loud ones.

Agreed.  But the half empty, stagnant crowd arena is the norm in the SEC.

We need to create an inner noise and not give a damn who is or isn't in those arenas.  That's on Mike to build the fire...

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 19, 2014, 02:37:08 pm
Agreed.  But the half empty, stagnant crowd arena is the norm in the SEC.

We need to create an inner noise and not give a damn who is or isn't in those arenas.  That's on Mike to build the fire...

Or learn how to play in that type of setting.  I have never heard of a team that can only play if the place is loud and the refs are allowing hacking and hand checking. 

Razorod

I think we go 23-8 regular season. Really hope we take at least one SEC tourney game to get to 24 wins before selection Sunday.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.