Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congrats to Dana Altman

Started by TebowHater, March 25, 2017, 10:01:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

Started with 6 guys on the roster. Sweet 16 two years later. Final Four in seven.

Hoping this year was the beginning of a similar trajectory for us

DOGALUM

Screw Altman. 

Hope he never wins another game.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

WorfHog

March 25, 2017, 10:10:36 pm #2 Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:20:40 pm by WorfHog
Can't hate him too much, I've heard why he backed out and he had a good reason. Frank was beyond checked out. Wish Jeff would have taken over a year sooner.

labb

Kansas couldn't throw it in the ocean

SPAL

DOGALUM

FANONTHEHILL

Here's the Arkansas Dana Altman era in 4 photos.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Atlhogfan1

Great achievement beating KU in KC in a regional final.  Always enjoy seeing KU lose.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Corkscrew Johnson

Oregon's offense in the last 6 minutes of that game reminded me a lot of ours in the last 3 minutes against UNC.  We aren't the only ones who get puckered up tight in these situations.

factchecker

What % of fans were pissed when we hired Altman?  How many thought we could have/should have hired a bigger "name"?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BadHog

Quote from: factchecker on March 25, 2017, 11:15:50 pm
What % of fans were pissed when we hired Altman?  How many thought we could have/should have hired a bigger "name"?

Probably the same ones that have been screaming for Mike's head for the last three years.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

factchecker

Quote from: BadHog on March 25, 2017, 11:31:53 pm
Probably the same ones that have been screaming for Mike's head for the last three years.

So I'm guess we have a ton of fans who are going to bitch no matter what.  Why even be a fan then?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WorfHog

Quote from: BadHog on March 25, 2017, 11:31:53 pm

Naw Altman's white... ;)

JayHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 25, 2017, 10:12:27 pm
Why?

Why? Because he betrayed us. Because he quit on us. Because he tucked his tail and ran away like a coward and quit on the Arkansas players that desperately needed his help. Because he wasn't man enough to honor his commitment.  Because he put a knife in our back.

The thing about stabbing someone in the back... you need to make sure they're dead. Because if you leave them alive, it's not going to be warm and fuzzy the next time they see you. I have nothing but animosity towards that coward and was more than happy to see him and his team lose!
Congrats to him you say?!! Get out of here with that crap!

bcdeputy

Not a fan of Altman from his days at Moberly JC in Missouri.

poloprince

Damn this guy man. He takes kids who have raped.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JayHog on March 26, 2017, 02:52:11 am

Why? Because he betrayed us. Because he quit on us. Because he tucked his tail and ran away like a coward and quit on the Arkansas players that desperately needed his help. Because he wasn't man enough to honor his commitment.  Because he put a knife in our back.

The thing about stabbing someone in the back... you need to make sure they're dead. Because if you leave them alive, it's not going to be warm and fuzzy the next time they see you. I have nothing but animosity towards that coward and was more than happy to see him and his team lose!

I don't like the fact he backed out of the job BUT he wasn't the only one NOT honorable in that deal. My biggest problem with him is how he went crawling back to Creighton and then STILL bailed on them the first chance he got.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AFWarrior83

Quote from: factchecker on March 25, 2017, 11:15:50 pm

It was the majority. I was here during that time, and most fans thought he wasn't a big enough name.  Now he's headed to the final 4 with Oregon.
Hogville member since 2005.

TexArkHogFan

He came from Creighton.  So did Eddie Sutton.  He was white.  So was Eddie Sutton.  Was Sutton good enough for us.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on March 26, 2017, 07:06:22 am
He came from Creighton.  So did Eddie Sutton.  He was white.  So was Eddie Sutton.  Was Sutton good enough for us.

He did stay a while longer......................just saying.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on March 26, 2017, 06:38:50 am

It was the majority. I was here during that time, and most fans thought he wasn't a big enough name.  Now he's headed to the final 4 with Oregon.

I was here as well.........the one's I knew though he was a great hire. I did.

hogfanshan

Gregg Marshall did the same thing to College of Charleston in 2006, but most here would take him in a heartbeat.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 25, 2017, 10:48:32 pm
Oregon's offense in the last 6 minutes of that game reminded me a lot of ours in the last 3 minutes against UNC.  We aren't the only ones who get puckered up tight in these situations.

I was thinking the same thing.  And Florida did the exact same thing the night before and nearly choked their game away.  What is it about having a 10-15 point lead with 5 minutes left in a game?  All semblance of offense goes away.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 26, 2017, 07:14:00 am
I was here as well.........the one's I knew though he was a great hire. I did.
I was too. Most of us were happy. Especially when the creighton fans started congratulating us on what a great coach we were getting. Frank and white not sealing the deal is what killed arkansas basketball for over a decade
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 25, 2017, 10:08:17 pm
Screw Altman. 

Hope he never wins another game.

I cannot blame him for leaving. Our athletic administration back then was a joke. John White wouldn't let him bring in his own staff.

Coach Broyles was playing golf during the entire ordeal.  We were a dumpster fire.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 26, 2017, 08:49:14 am
I cannot blame him for leaving. Our athletic administration back then was a joke. John White wouldn't let him bring in his own staff.

Coach Broyles was playing golf during the entire ordeal.  We were a dumpster fire.
great.  Screw them too.

I stand by my initial post.  To hell with Altman.

Inhogswetrust

I was mystified that a new boss (Frank) wouldn't be there when a new hire started. That being said I think Frank knew that it didn't matter with White being around. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY thing White did fairly good at as Chancellor was raising money for the school.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 26, 2017, 08:51:12 am
great.  Screw them too.

I stand by my initial post.  To hell with Altman.

John "golden handcuffs" White. He's a huge reason why our football and basketball program have suffered lately.

SPAL

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 26, 2017, 08:56:05 am
That's stupid. You need to grow up.

I wonder how much they all were laughing when he bailed out on them the second time............................

hawgXi

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 26, 2017, 08:54:11 am
John "golden handcuffs" White. He's a huge reason why our football and basketball program have suffered lately.

l agree

SPAL

Quote from: JayHog on March 26, 2017, 02:52:11 am

Nonsense. This is mind blowing to me. I just don't understand hate and animosity. This shows you lack maturity and understanding. You're a failure.

(notOM)Rebel123

Yep. Apparently, Altman wasn't told the entire story on the condition of the program (player's grades, etc.) when he accepted the job. Frank had to get down to Augusta National & White, well, he was was just being John White. Can't blame him for bailing.

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 26, 2017, 09:11:07 am
Yep. Apparently, Altman wasn't told the entire story on the condition of the program (player's grades, etc.) when he accepted the job. Frank had to get down to Augusta National & White, well, he was was just being John White. Can't blame him for bailing.

It was horrible back then. Makes you thankful that we are where we are now.

No wonder we had to settle for our 11th choice back then.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 26, 2017, 09:13:23 am
It was horrible back then. Makes you thankful that we are where we are now.

No wonder we had to settle for our 11th choice back then.

No doubt. It was a train wreck, for sure. Nice to have some stability.

snf6278

I don't blame CFB at all. White had pushed everyone out of the way so he could play AD. I know CFB had his faults but the Altman/Pel debacle falls squarely on the shoulders of john White. In hind sight, we would've been better off keeping CSH at least one more year (we were making the tourney every year at least). I don't blame Altman for bolting, white lied through his teeth and didn't secure him before the press conference.

Ironhawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 26, 2017, 09:11:07 am

The way I understand the Dana Altman exit from Arkansas is that when Altman saw the shape of the program he knew it was going to be a challenge to get the program back on track academically, but he was still willing to take on the job.  His prerequisite was that he be allowed to bring in his own support staff including academic support from Creighton.  When White refused this stipulation, Dana bolted back to Creighton.  Yes, Frank was at Augusta when he should have been here, but John White was playing AD and even if Frank was here there's no guarantee he would have been able to intervene on Altman's behalf.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 26, 2017, 09:47:47 am
The way I understand the Dana Altman exit from Arkansas is that when Altman saw the shape of the program he knew it was going to be a challenge to get the program back on track academically, but he was still willing to take on the job.  His prerequisite was that he be allowed to bring in his own support staff including academic support from Creighton.  When White refused this stipulation, Dana bolted back to Creighton.  Yes, Frank was at Augusta when he should have been here, but John White was playing AD and even if Frank was here there's no guarantee he would have been able to intervene on Altman's behalf.

Truth.  Good summary. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TebowHater

This. Plus he hadn't really considered the family ramifications. Dude is a family man and stayed at Creighton until all of his kids finished HS and went off to college. Then he left--he didn't bolt "the first chance" he got. If our job had been open 3 years later, he would have stayed here without a doubt (new admin, no family restraints).

colavito

His UA presser where he looked like he was being forced to swallow a turd when they started calling the hogs and a few hours later his girly little ass is gone, I hope he gets killed next game.  And his team looks like five neon yellow or neon green highlighter markers running around on the court.  Ugliest uniforms, FB and BB, in the NCAA.

Atlhogfan1

It has worked out for all of us.  We got the coach we had to hire someday.  If Altman had been at Ark, while he would have been trying to rebuild us Mike went to an E8 at Mizzou playing Hawgball.  Not sure Altman would have been given the time anyway with the Anderson shadow hanging over.

Birminghog

Quote from: hogfanshan on March 26, 2017, 08:30:20 am
Gregg Marshall did the same thing to College of Charleston in 2006, but most here would take him in a heartbeat.

But what does College of Charleston think of him?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WorfHog on March 25, 2017, 10:10:36 pm
Can't hate him too much, I've heard why he backed out and he had a good reason. Frank was beyond checked out. Wish Jeff would have taken over a year sooner.
Frank wouldnt even take his phone calls. He is at fault.

And I love Dana the Coach's style. Nasty defense, beautiful offense, 100% effort.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DOGALUM

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 26, 2017, 08:56:05 am
That's stupid. You need to grow up.
eat a dik. If you like him, good for you.  I don't like him. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Spot on.

Coaches move in some direction, up, down, aside and sometimes out depending on what they feel is best for them all the time.  As I always say on here, everyone has an opinion as they are entitled to.  I don't blame Altman at all.  He should have done what was best for him in his opinion.  Looks like he made the correct decision.

PossumFan

I'm sure Altman had good reasons for not taking the job, as several posters have pointed out. That being said, he should have checked everything out before saying yes rather than back out afterward. So, yeah, I don't hate the guy ... but it's enough for me to root against any team he coaches.

Hogwop

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 26, 2017, 08:59:35 am
Nonsense. This is mind blowing to me. I just don't understand hate and animosity. This shows you lack maturity and understanding. You're a failure.
"I don't get hatred and animosity, grow up you losers"

People have differing opinions dude, get over it and get off your high horse while you're at it.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

moses_007

Only Arkansas coach ever to throw in the towel and leave after ONLY ONE DAY!

JayHog

When I bought a business in Hot Springs, after all the papers were signed I found out all the numbers were fraudulent.  I wanted out of the almost $1,000,000 deal. Lawsuit was filed, and the end result is that I won a settlement for a little bit of the money back, but I'm still stuck with the business.
Basically, the judge said I should've done my due diligence, that I should've done more research before I agreed. That once you agree to something, it's over with (even though I was told lies on the front end, so I don't know how in the hell you research false numbers that are being sent to you).  But that is a lesson I've learned that I'll NEVER forget going forward.
As this applies to Altman, any questions or concerns he had should have been cleared up to his satisfaction prior to him making an agreement to be our coach.  But after he agreed to be out coach and we had a verbal contract (and probably even a written contract), he should not have been able to back out like he did!