Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Richard Davenport: Fayetteville's Byers visiting Hogs on Saturday

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 05, 2016, 06:28:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

How do we know he's lying?  I mean, it's not like coaches can comment publicly on players. 

Just playing devil's advocate here.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on March 09, 2016, 11:34:07 am
How do we know he's lying?  I mean, it's not like coaches can comment publicly on players. 

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Technically we don't.  But can you honestly see a local kid taking a visit to Arkansas and getting no clue as to when he will get an offer or their interest in him?  If that wasn't part of the visit, what was the point of it?  We can just almost assume the conversation took place.  Now, I understand why the kid wouldn't put it out there.  And maybe he just didn't come up with a good answer to the question he didn't want to answer.  But I honestly have zero doubt these coaches have leveled with him.  Do you believe he has "no idea" why they haven't offered? 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2016, 11:37:16 am
Do you believe he has "no idea" why they haven't offered? 

I don't, but that's not my place to say.  Especially when the kid is giving interviews and saying the contrary.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2016, 11:37:16 am
Technically we don't.  But can you honestly see a local kid taking a visit to Arkansas and getting no clue as to when he will get an offer or their interest in him?  If that wasn't part of the visit, what was the point of it?  We can just almost assume the conversation took place.  Now, I understand why the kid wouldn't put it out there.  And maybe he just didn't come up with a good answer to the question he didn't want to answer.  But I honestly have zero doubt these coaches have leveled with him.  Do you believe he has "no idea" why they haven't offered? 

Well, thinking as a teenager, maybe his "no idea" is , the other schools have offered based on my circumstances, I have "no idea" why Arkansas hasn't. And yes, I would assume we've let our "ideas" known what's required for an offer.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 09, 2016, 11:42:05 am
Well, thinking as a teenager, maybe his "no idea" is , the other schools have offered based on my circumstances, I have "no idea" why Arkansas hasn't.

This is how I took it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Well, thinking as a teenager, maybe his "no idea" is , the other schools have offered based on my circumstances, I have "no idea" why Arkansas hasn't. And yes, I would assume we've let our "ideas" known what's required for an offer.

That's probably correct. 

The_Boot_stops_here

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 09, 2016, 11:26:14 am
Well if it does, it does. You don't ever "bad mouth" a potential future employer (obviously loosely used term here). However, I honestly don't think this would be a "deal killer" in any event. IF the U of A wants him and he can meet the requirements and has a mutual interest then IMO this wouldn't dissuade the staff from offering. CBB is a bigger man (no pun intended) with a much tougher hide than that.   

I agree with this.  I certainly believe that, under certain circumstances, what a kid says can and should affect his offer.  I also agree with the idea that it won't affect him and that CBB has thicker skin than to let this be the reason, specifically, that Byers would not get his offer.  It's been awhile since you and I have agreed but this is one point where we do

The_Boot_stops_here

very good point.  makes sense from his end

PorkRinds

According to the way they explained the process, and from what EK Franks said in an interview I read, it's possible that Byers hasn't even crossed CBB's desk yet as far as an offer.  Franks, from what he said, doesn't really pass a recruit up the ladder until all or most of their 3 A's are taken care of.  So while CBB likely knows who he is and an overall idea of the situation, he's likely not involved heavily yet.  They really don't consider guys until they're sure about the 3 a's.  Attitude, Academics, and athleticism.   Kid's got the third in line probably, but the other two may be part of the reason no offer has been given.  Which would lead me to think CBB really isn't heavily involved with his recruitment yet.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bubba's Bruisers

So are these negative comments from the kid shedding a bad light on the program?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 09, 2016, 01:04:22 pm
So are these negative comments from the kid shedding a bad light on the program?

Like everything on HV, it would depend on your agenda.........

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

The part when he said "I don't know what my gpa is" is the selling point to the whole story..  Really?  I wonder how many times he has been told what his gpa is?  I guarantee it has been said for the past 2 years.

jjdlc

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on March 09, 2016, 10:04:48 pm
The part when he said "I don't know what my gpa is" is the selling point to the whole story..  Really?  I wonder how many times he has been told what his gpa is?  I guarantee it has been said for the past 2 years.

If Fayetteville high works anything like the schools I work with, he knows exactly what his GPA is, especially with his senior year approaching. 

Maybe, I find it very hard to believe they haven't communicated to him what he needs to do to get an offer.  Look how Dominique Reed's recruitment went.  They told him what he had to do, he did it, and they offered.

Hogfan46

This jumped out to me too. If he really doesn't know his gpa than that speaks volumes as to why he doesn't have an offer.

AirWarren

Who doesn't know their GPA in high school? Well someone that cares know their GPA. I also agree that that speaks volumes for him not being offered.

k.c.hawg

For the 'just offer anyway" crowd. The coach might consider this a character issue. Perhaps his class work has been addressed previously or on this visit. Perhaps he has been told an offer will be extended when there is noticeable improvement. Perhaps this coach believes extending offers to players that are ignoring the class work is counter productive and gives the kid a false sense that everything is o.k. It should be obvious to any and everyone that there is a reason. It should be obvious to any and everyone that if there is a reason that they would convey said reason to the young man. Let's hope the young man does everything necessary to continue playing football.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Vantage 8 dude

Trust me: if you're a young man who has a genuine opportunity to play football at the next level you darn well KNOW what your GPA is! Duh, one of the absolute fundamentals of ensuring you qualify to be able to do so. Come on.....either he knows and doesn't want to publicly admit it (and I can honor that), or he honestly doesn't; in   that case there's even potentially bigger problem for him. 

SemperHawg

Since it would be relevant to this thread I have a question.  How many kids that we have signed since coach B has been here have ended up not qualifying academically?

ricepig

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 10, 2016, 08:35:20 am
Since it would be relevant to this thread I have a question.  How many kids that we have signed since coach B has been here have ended up not qualifying academically?

SemperHawg

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Music City Hog on March 08, 2016, 06:58:12 pm
It's simply idiotic not to offer this kid.  If his issue is grades then pulling his offer won't make the staff look bad.  Only a fool would blame the staff for not honoring an offer to a non-qualifier.   There is absolutely ZERO to lose by offering him.  Nothing. 
This. Not sure why so many can't seem to comprehend. 

ricepig

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 10, 2016, 11:18:56 am

Ask the staff why they can't "comprehend" that.

hammer66

[/quote

Could be you and others can't comprehend that the coaches determine who does get an offer and who doesn't. Some players may not meet the requirements CBB has and no matter the potential of the player, he refuses to extend an offer due to what coach may perceive as a potential problem child.
I have no clue why an offer hasn't been extended but there are so many possible reasons why not. The coaching staff cannot speak about it publicly, so we may not ever know the reason.
I'm willing to bet that the knowledge the staff has on players from the HS a few blocks from their campus is extensive.
How bout this possible reason. The current players we have on the team from the same HS, who probably are very familiar with this player have suggested to the staff that the player is not a good teammate and will cause problems. Just a thought I had and that is all.

colbs

Since BB has been here they really haven't lost any instate players because of offering late.  I'll start complaining when It actually starts happening until then I don't have any problem with not being the first that offers.

Bubba's Bruisers

Major smoking gun.  No way he doesn't know.  He just doesn't want it public.  Not good.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

AirWarren

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 10, 2016, 02:20:10 pm
Major smoking gun.  No way he doesn't know.  He just doesn't want it public.  Not good.

Stop it. You're being critical, close minded, and rude...

Bubba's Bruisers

If grades were the only issue, then maybe so, but it's probably reasonable to infer that this may not be just grades.   

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: AP85 on March 10, 2016, 02:23:15 pm
Stop it. You're being critical, close minded, and rude...

Pure speculation.  Kid is lying or he's not paying much attention.

There I go again.  Close minded.

PorkRinds

AirWarren

My take is. Hogville is failing to be in "in the know" like they think they are. All the cries "why haven't we offered him?" "What happened to the wall we were promised?" "Bret let's all the croots get out of state."

Yet, coach b is already 3 steps ahead of the clowns on hogville crying.

Oh no. I'm being a troll again.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on March 10, 2016, 02:28:56 pm
My take is. Hogville is failing to be in "in the know" like they think they are. All the cries "why haven't we offered him?" "What happened to the wall we were promised?" "Bret let's all the croots get out of state."

Yet, coach b is already 3 steps ahead of the clowns on hogville crying.

Oh no. I'm being a troll again.

If you don't offer, then there is no need for a wall to hold one in. One question, are you the clown with the big shoes, or big nose? Don't worry, I'm the one driving the car, lol.

AirWarren

whippersnapper

I will say this about FHS and the GPA question. FHS doesn't do 4 9 week qtrs like I am sure most do. They do grades like college and only do report cards at semester. The school hasn't even released mid term grades yet for this semester. Now naturally if many of us had a chance to be a college athlete we would probably be keeping up with our GPA going into our sr year. But thought I would at least share that bit of info.

PorkRinds

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 10, 2016, 02:46:56 pm
I will say this about FHS and the GPA question. FHS doesn't do 4 9 week qtrs like I am sure most do. They do grades like college and only do report cards at semester. The school hasn't even released mid term grades yet for this semester. Now naturally if many of us had a chance to be a college athlete we would probably be keeping up with our GPA going into our sr year. But thought I would at least share that bit of info.

Any senior who takes their academics and future seriously knows their GPA.  He likely knows his GPA too, but doesn't want to talk about it.  Which is understandable, because it's no one's business but his own, and those schools recruiting him.   

ricepig

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 10, 2016, 02:46:56 pm

So, Fayetteville Public Schools don't have an online system where students/parents can check their grades?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2016, 02:56:05 pm
So, Fayetteville Public Schools don't have an online system where students/parents can check their grades?
They do.

ricepig

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2016, 03:34:17 pm
Yeah, I figured they did, I just didn't want to call b.s. on the post.
You just did and rightfully so. 

Vantage 8 dude

As I said earlier, I find it highly unlikely that any kid who has visions of playing sports in college and has been informed of the GPA and test score requirements doesn't have at least a very good general idea of what level of grades they're carrying. While they may not be able to tell you down to the exact tenth of a percent, they should definitely know if they have at least a 2.5 point, 3.0, etc. If they honestly can't give you a fairly accurate answer then that speaks volumes about their lack of interest or caring.

Now whether or not they might want to make that known to the public is a completely different matter. I can understand why some wouldn't.

Porked Tongue

It's SOP for the athlete's to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse.  They find out early on what they need to do scholastically.

The issue often is the coddling that occurs by some coaches that put players in special programs that keep them playing in high school but not so much for college.  Not only does it teach a player he's treated differently, but it sets a bad precedent more than a proper path to college.

Speaking generally here, but some kids are not ever going to overcome a learning or grade issue well enough to enter some schools.  It would help if their long term interests were considered more than short term.

whippersnapper

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2016, 02:56:05 pm
Yes there is and that system has been around for about 10 years now. But guess what there are lazy teachers just like lazy students. Some teachers wait till they are told the date due by to enter the grades. For example the mid term grade reports this semester are due by 4 pm April 14th and the reports are given to students on the 19th. So idk how it is bs when I am just giving the facts of how FHS works. And FWIW I work at FHS.

I am no way trying to justify Byers for not knowing. Just sharing what facts I know.

ricepig

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 11, 2016, 11:16:37 am
Yes there is and that system has been around for about 10 years now. But guess what there are lazy teachers just like lazy students. Some teachers wait till they are told the date due by to enter the grades. For example the mid term grade reports this semester are due by 4 pm April 14th and the reports are given to students on the 19th. So idk how it is bs when I am just giving the facts of how FHS works. And FWIW I work at FHS.

I am no way trying to justify Byers for not knowing. Just sharing what facts I know.

So, the teachers are to blame, cool.  As a parent, I would ask my child's teachers to enter their grades so I can know what my child's grades are. I thought FPS was "suppose" to be a top ranked high school, seems embarrassing.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on March 11, 2016, 11:48:42 am
So, the teachers are to blame, cool.  As a parent, I would ask my child's teachers to enter their grades so I can know what my child's grades are. I thought FPS was "suppose" to be a top ranked high school, seems embarrassing.

The kid may not know what his current grades are, but he likely knows his GPA.  If he doesn't, it's not the school's fault at all.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 11, 2016, 12:05:15 pm
The kid may not know what his current grades are, but he likely knows his GPA.  If he doesn't, it's not the school's fault at all.

Oh, I agree, I just find it all amusing. I mean, if a system had been passing someone along, it's possible one wouldn't know their GPA at that moment. Seriously, I figured kids inflated it, like their 40 times.......

whippersnapper

Quote from: ricepig on March 11, 2016, 11:48:42 am
And that could very well be the difference in you as a parent then Byers parents.

ricepig

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 11, 2016, 12:26:29 pm
And that could very well be the difference in you as a parent then Byers parents.

No doubt, but if a free ride to college depended on it.........

PorkRinds

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 11, 2016, 12:26:29 pm

So, since you work there answer this.  Is it common for a student at FHS to not know what their current GPA is?  Especially one with DI scholarship offers?

whippersnapper

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 11, 2016, 12:47:53 pm
So, since you work there answer this.  Is it common for a student at FHS to not know what their current GPA is?  Especially one with DI scholarship offers?
I know my student doesn't know his, I can't recall seeing it printed on reports either.