Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Richard Davenport: Fayetteville's Byers visiting Hogs on Saturday

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 05, 2016, 06:28:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Fayetteville junior defensive lineman Akial Byers will visit Arkansas on Saturday. Byers, 6-4, 265 pounds has scholarship offers from Alabama, Purdue, Florida State, Oklahoma, Mississippi State, Iowa State, Arkansas State, Ole Miss and others.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/mar/04/fayettevilles-byers-visiting-hogs-saturday/

Go Hogs Go!

trphog

Well it appears that the weeping and gnashing of teeth will finally come to an end around here

online-with-swine

Quote from: trphog on March 05, 2016, 07:23:12 am
Well it appears that the weeping and gnashing of teeth will finally come to an end around here

Unless he doesn't commit right away.  Then it just continues.

SemperFi

I know nothing about this kid other than what I've seen on his highlight video. Just from that alone I see that he is extremely quick off the ball, has a high motor and knows how to finish off tackles. Hopefully, he'll decide to stay home and play for the Hogs because he appears to be that prototypical SEC DL that we all covet.

I can also appreciate the way that Coach B recruits. Once you offer an instate kid there is no pulling that offer unless the kid does something stupid to negate it. Why not be selective to ensure that you get the right kind of player for your program? Throwing out offers because everyone else has is a stupid way to recruit and forces you to pull offers or like Bama, try and force a kid to greyshirt. Eventually, that's going to come back and bite you on the butt.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ricepig

Quote from: online-with-swine on March 05, 2016, 07:29:20 am

Because we were too late, lol........

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: trphog on March 05, 2016, 07:23:12 am
You wish! Nope, the kid could commit on the spot and you'd still have some who'd move on to the next player and start the process all over again. Heck, it's HV. What more would you expect?

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2016, 06:28:59 am
Fayetteville junior defensive lineman Akial Byers will visit Arkansas on Saturday. Byers, 6-4, 265 pounds has scholarship offers from Alabama, Purdue, Florida State, Oklahoma, Mississippi State, Iowa State, Arkansas State, Ole Miss and others.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/mar/04/fayettevilles-byers-visiting-hogs-saturday/

He's perfected the Swim Move and a lot more already...WOW!

Hoggish1

Quote from: online-with-swine on March 05, 2016, 07:29:20 am

Gonna wait on his commitment so he can rise to a five* for all the star people...

trphog

You guys are weeping and gnashing your teeth about a comment about weeping and gnashing of teeth. LOL.

JIHawg

Surprisingly, we haven't had much chatter about this kid on the board.  I would think he would be a top target, this year's Agim.  So what is everyone hearing?  Any info on his family?  Has he always lived in Fayetteville?  Are our coaches on him like a fly on honey?  Has he given any indication where he's leaning?  Does he want to get out of town?

Thanks for any info.

jackflash

RedyorNot

Quote from: jackflash on March 08, 2016, 04:15:23 pm
I would like to know how his visit went.

I would too as well, surprised we haven't heard a peep in the last two days

Porked Tongue

Well, I'm not one to bash a recruit but Byers knows why he's not been offered.  There have been plenty of references on this board as to reasons why and I've even mentioned the scholastic reason.

You can not ignore the fact he didn't play as a soph and why that occurred. 
You can not ignore basic entrance requirements.
You can not ignore that these things are not a secret to UA staff with such proximity to that high school and the local knowledge of the particulars.

Schools like Bama will ship him to JUCO and it won't cost them a thing.  Then they'll hope he recommits if things work out at JUCO.  The UA will be in the same position.  Right now it's just a shell game.

I suggest to apply the breaks on expectations.

Music City Hog

It's simply idiotic not to offer this kid.  If his issue is grades then pulling his offer won't make the staff look bad.  Only a fool would blame the staff for not honoring an offer to a non-qualifier.   There is absolutely ZERO to lose by offering him.  Nothing. 

Porked Tongue

Really?
Offer a kid you know can't get in your school is "zero to lose"?

It's fluff, fake and a canard.  It's a waste of effort.  It's tilting windmills.

I wish the kid luck but they are setting him up for one big embarrassing fall. The groundswell around this is crazy.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 07:03:28 pm
Really?
Offer a kid you know can't get in your school is "zero to lose"?

It's fluff, fake and a canard.  It's a waste of effort.  It's tilting windmills.

I wish the kid luck but they are setting him up for one big embarrassing fall. The groundswell around this is crazy.

You're keeping him happy and giving him an entire school year to qualify.    All these big recruits know they have to qualify to get the scholarship.  If they don't qualify then it sure the heck isn't the university's fault. That would be 100% on the kid.  So yes, the university has zero to lose.  If a kid doesn't hold up his end of the deal then the scholarship disappears before NSD.   

It's pretty simple for pretty much anyone to understand. 

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Music City Hog on March 08, 2016, 07:07:04 pm
You're keeping him happy and giving him an entire school year to qualify.    All these big recruits know they have to qualify to get the scholarship.  If they don't qualify then it sure the heck isn't the university's fault. That would be 100% on the kid.  So yes, the university has zero to lose.  If a kid doesn't hold up his end of the deal then the scholarship disappears before NSD.   

It's pretty simple for pretty much anyone to understand. 
What if you knew the gap was so large he couldn't close the gap?

Music City Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 07:08:26 pm

Well he has a year and a quarter.   Give him a chance.  It's his to lose.   Otherwise, you're pissing the kid off and if he qualifies you may lose him to another school.  Talk about backlash...lose a kid in your backyard to Bama because you didn't offer and watch the backlash.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Music City Hog on March 08, 2016, 07:09:28 pm
Well he has a year and a quarter.   Give him a chance.  It's his to lose.   
We're going to disagree here.  Good day sir.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 07:10:32 pm
We're going to disagree here.  Good day sir.

Well you're wrong, sir.   Good day to you as well though.

Porked Tongue

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 07:08:26 pm
At Fayetteville High? Not even possible really. They can get him qualified, believe that. The school is practically a college.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 08, 2016, 07:19:51 pm
At Fayetteville High? Not even possible really. They can get him qualified, believe that. The school is practically a college.
I believe you can find several instances in the past where they had "D-1" players that didn't pan out due to similar situations.

Allen's and Ellis are the exceptions.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 06:53:16 pm
Well, I'm not one to bash a recruit but Byers knows why he's not been offered.  There have been plenty of references on this board as to reasons why and I've even mentioned the scholastic reason.

You can not ignore the fact he didn't play as a soph and why that occurred. 
You can not ignore basic entrance requirements.
You can not ignore the these things are not a secret to UA staff with such proximity to that high school and the local knowledge of the particulars.

Schools like Bama will ship him to JUCO and it won't cost them a thing.  Then they'll hope he recommits if things work out at JUCO.  The UA will be in the same position.  Right now it's just a shell game.

I suggest to apply the breaks on expectations.

Why didn't he play as a sophomore?  And other issues?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Music City Hog on March 08, 2016, 07:09:28 pm
Well he has a year and a quarter.   Give him a chance.  It's his to lose.   Otherwise, you're pissing the kid off and if he qualifies you may lose him to another school.  Talk about backlash...lose a kid in your backyard to Bama because you didn't offer and watch the backlash.
Well IF and WHEN that happens you can then say "I told you so". Until then let's just sit back and see what happens. Oh yeah, one other thing: I seriously doubt if ANY OF US know exactly what our staff said to the young man. What was discussed and exactly what conditions might or might not have been offered. As I said, let's sit back and see what happens.....besides, not a damn thing any of us can do about it.

ceegar

Well for one thing he needs to stay in the weight room.  275 on the bench for a 280 lb kid is not that strong.  If he is 280 then by the time he hits 18 yrs old he should be repping 275 with a max around 350-360.  If not the sec lineman will push him around.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

ChicoHog

If the staff told him it was a qualification issue then why didn't he tell the reporter that the Arkansas coaches told him he needs to get his grades up or he needs to qualify instead of saying "I don't know why they haven't offered".  I hope he does whatever work he needs to do to get qualified and he does make it to a 4 year school even if it's not Arkansas. 

ricepig

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 08, 2016, 09:03:04 pm
If the staff told him it was a qualification issue then why didn't he tell the reporter that the Arkansas coaches told him he needs to get his grades up or he needs to qualify instead of saying "I don't know why they haven't offered".  I hope he does whatever work he needs to do to get qualified and he does make it to a 4 year school even if it's not Arkansas. 

Most teenagers don't own up to their shortcomings, at least until it hits the like a 2X4 over the head.

Oklahawg

Music City Hog, quit arguing with a moderator. The mods position is practical and reasonable. It seems to mimic the position of the UA staff.

It is a tragic situation, potentially, in that a local kid can't make it into the local college. That is on the kid, though, not the college.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Music City Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 08, 2016, 09:51:12 pm
Music City Hog, quit arguing with a moderator. The mods position is practical and reasonable. It seems to mimic the position of the UA staff.

It is a tragic situation, potentially, in that a local kid can't make it into the local college. That is on the kid, though, not the college.

Im having a hard time determining if this is serious or sarcasm.  Please advise.

Scott7703

I agree with MCH on this one. You offer the kid without question. If he isn't qualified by a pre-determined date then no scholarship. We see how well this same scenario worked out with Chris Daniels. You'd think we might learn.

Vantage 8 dude

Is it possible he was told but didn't actually want to admit such? I have no idea whether or not that's even close to the truth since I wasn't there. Then again, I strongly suspect no of the rest of HV posters were either. I do know, however, that at least according to the way other kids have been handled by this staff, it would be extremely odd and out of character for this staff NOT to give the young man some guidance and explanation as to why they might not be extending an offer. My question is what purpose would it serve them being coy or evasive when it came to what they were really thinking/why they might be holding back ???

LA Football fan

I think you are barking up a tree for no reason.  D-Line is one our strongest and DEEPEST positions.  There is NO need to go out on a limb on a player that apparently has qualification issues.  He KNOWS where he stands with our staff.  Anyone that thinks this staff didn't go over what he needs to do to get an offer while he was visiting needs to get their head examined.   Whether Bama offered now or later really doesn't matter.  If the kid wants to be a Hog, he knows the offer will be there when he gets his stuff together. 

He is NOT irreplaceable by any means by another recruit.  He is NOT a must get to fill a projected position of need either.  I am not saying he isn't a good player or trying to downgrade his ability.  I am just saying that there are dozens of players with his skill level out there at his position that are already qualified or projected to be qualified that this staff can recruit and offer NOW that have shown they have put the work in needed in the classroom as well as on the field.  CBB's motto of UNCOMMON really doesn't mean much if he is going to go out there and offer kids that haven't shown they live up to that criteria (talking grades here, not character).   

cardinalandwhite

Think back to when you were 17. Would you have told a reporter who was going to publish your interview that you didn't have a snowball's chance in Hades of making it into college (presuming that's the hold up) when asked why Arkansas hadn't offered you? Honestly, people.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

PorkRinds

That interview may have killed what chances he did have for an offer.  Don't paint the school in a negative light if you really want the offer at some point.

JayBell

If you offer, he commits and later doesn't qualify, then that's one less spot you have to work with on the recruiting trail.  That's other players at the same position who may instead consider other schools in the meantime.

It's ridiculous to claim that offering someone and pulling it if they don't qualify affects nothing.  It affects everything, especially with Bielema's staff.  They pull a move like that and they'd be labeled as hypocrites because it contradicts everything he preaches.

JayBell

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on March 09, 2016, 08:54:55 amThink back to when you were 17. Would you have told a reporter who was going to publish your interview that you didn't have a snowball's chance in Hades of making it into college (presuming that's the hold up) when asked why Arkansas hadn't offered you? Honestly, people.

And with all of the dialogue teams have with players in recruiting these days, does anyone seriously think he left a full visit still completely oblivious as to why Arkansas hasn't offered yet?  Think about it.

ricepig

Quote from: JayBell on March 09, 2016, 09:13:45 am
If you offer, he commits and later doesn't qualify, then that's one less spot you have to work with on the recruiting trail.  That's other players at the same position who may instead consider other schools in the meantime.

It's ridiculous to claim that offering someone and pulling it if they don't qualify affects nothing.  It affects everything, especially with Bielema's staff.  They pull a move like that and they'd be labeled as hypocrites because it contradicts everything he preaches.

Ah, yes, but the "let's offer everyone" mantra will say we don't fill out our spots anyway. If we only need X amount of DT's then they will peruse those who are qualified, first.

colbs

Everyone knows BB stance with instate kids, not sure why some still complain every time Arkansas is not the first to offer.  Besides Daniels it really has Not resulted in losing a recruit. I would argue with Daniels it might not have either, Texas offered late and he went there. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: JayBell on March 09, 2016, 09:15:15 am
And with all of the dialogue teams have with players in recruiting these days, does anyone seriously think he left a full visit still completely oblivious as to why Arkansas hasn't offered yet?  Think about it.
My point exactly! Despite what some apparently think this staff isn't clueless and unaware of what they need to convey to any kid in whom they have an interest. Whether it be grades, attitude, problems with character or whatever I can promise they make it very clear to any recruit what he needs to do to possibly earn an offer.

The fact the young man CLAIMS not to have an idea why an offer wasn't forthcoming last Saturday proves nothing. Not a "bash" at the young man, but really...............

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2016, 08:56:26 am
That interview may have killed what chances he did have for an offer.  Don't paint the school in a negative light if you really want the offer at some point.

If that interview has anything to do with him getting an offer in the future then the staff would need to grow a pair and get over it.  not that I think they would let that determine an offer

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2016, 08:56:26 am
he gone
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on March 09, 2016, 11:16:49 am
If that interview has anything to do with him getting an offer in the future then the staff would need to grow a pair and get over it.  not that I think they would let that determine an offer

If you don't think publically questioning the university can change the way they go after a recruit, I'm not sure what to tell you.  They look at their social media presence and all aspects of these kids.  You may not agree with it, but it will certainly have some effect on his recruitment.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on March 09, 2016, 11:16:49 am
Well if it does, it does. You don't ever "bad mouth" a potential future employer (obviously loosely used term here). However, I honestly don't think this would be a "deal killer" in any event. IF the U of A wants him and he can meet the requirements and has a mutual interest then IMO this wouldn't dissuade the staff from offering. CBB is a bigger man (no pun intended) with a much tougher hide than that.   

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2016, 11:23:35 am
If you don't think publically questioning the university can change the way they go after a recruit, I'm not sure what to tell you.  They look at their social media presence and all aspects of these kids.  You may not agree with it, but it will certainly have some effect on his recruitment.

I fully understand that certain things said publicly (on social media or otherwise) can determine an offer.  However, if this particular interview plays any role in the kid getting an offer, the staff needs to get thicker skin.  It would be a mistake

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on March 09, 2016, 11:27:24 am
I fully understand that certain things said publicly (on social media or otherwise) can determine an offer.  However, if this particular interview plays any role in the kid getting an offer, the staff needs to get thicker skin.  It would be a mistake

It would be a mistake to offer?

Vantage 8 dude

And read my response (above) to your point.

PorkRinds

Not really.  The mistake was on his part.  We can all pretty much bet he was told exactly why he doesn't have an offer, and when he would get one.  I'm not sure mis-stating (lying) about the university and their recruiting process is something they would appreciate.  Will it be the ONLY factor? Obviously not.  But if there are issues keeping you from getting an offer, and then you publically question the school, it doesn't bode that well.