Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunney talks in-state offers and other topics

Started by Richard Davenport, March 03, 2016, 10:32:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BornaHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 04, 2016, 11:51:42 am
Never suggest such.  I'm saying they do it.

And isn't that one of the things about Hootie that everyone hates? Personally I wholeheartedly agree with making sure and only offering after they meet expectations!
  In one of CBB's pressers, he stated that he had offered an instate kid in Wisconsin. The kid did not make it and when he had to pull the kid's offer, it really tore him up to have to pull it. He said that is the reason he is so slow with instate offers, because he doesn't want to have to do that again!

Again, I like this attitude toward not just instate, but to all recruits! Make sure and kids will learn   IF ARKANSAS OFFERS AND YOU COMMIT, YOU WILL HAVE A SPOT   !!!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

Cinco de Hogo

I just wish you guys opinions had anything to do with winning a national championship.  You see, if we ever win a national championship it will be because we are offering a differant level player than we are offering now at this stage in the game.  It's doesn't have a thing to do with when or how many offers we extend to Arkansas Highschoolers.  We have to get to another level players and the sooner the better.

The steps are to continue to improve our recruiting and to continue to improve or record.  The level of player we will need and be offering are the same types that exist today and they hold offers from most of the elite teams that we are chasing.  If we are going to offer them three-four years from now why can't we offer them now?  I fully believe that although you can alway find the exceptions you need to get on these players early.  These players live in another stratosphere.  They already know, think or believe they are great, they will never be excited about a program that makes them wait til halfway thru their senior year to get a offer.

You can say anything smart you want to but it will not change these young men's attitudes now or three years from now when they sign their LOI with Bama, OSU, LSU, UF, UGA, etc. 

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 06, 2016, 04:12:08 pm
I just wish you guys opinions had anything to do with winning a national championship.  You see, if we ever win a national championship it will be because we are offering a differant level player than we are offering now at this stage in the game.  It's doesn't have a thing to do with when or how many offers we extend to Arkansas Highschoolers.  We have to get to another level players and the sooner the better.

The steps are to continue to improve our recruiting and to continue to improve or record.  The level of player we will need and be offering are the same types that exist today and they hold offers from most of the elite teams that we are chasing.  If we are going to offer them three-four years from now why can't we offer them now?  I fully believe that although you can alway find the exceptions you need to get on these players early.  These players live in another stratosphere.  They already know, think or believe they are great, they will never be excited about a program that makes them wait til halfway thru their senior year to get a offer.

You can say anything smart you want to but it will not change these young men's attitudes now or three years from now when they sign their LOI with Bama, OSU, LSU, UF, UGA, etc. 

We've offered guys in the top 10 of their position ranking, I don't think it's their Sr season, is it?

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Offers

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2016, 04:20:13 pm
We've offered guys in the top 10 of their position ranking, I don't think it's their Sr season, is it?

Yes we offer players in the top ten the question would be is it enough and is it soon enough.  I believe in having a plan and working that plan, I also believe that experience is earn by making mistakes while wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others.  We don't have to do exactly what someone else is doing but in the end we have to beat them at their plan.  I would "like" to believe CBB plan will do that but my problem is  don't see it flying with the players I'm talking about.   Those other teams out their are getting uncommon players we never offer.  Sooner or later we need to be on their radar screens.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 06, 2016, 04:29:47 pm
Yes we offer players in the top ten the question would be is it enough and is it soon enough.  I believe in having a plan and working that plan, I also believe that experience is earn by making mistakes while wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others.  We don't have to do exactly what someone else is doing but in the end we have to beat them at their plan.  I would "like" to believe CBB plan will do that but my problem is  don't see it flying with the players I'm talking about.   Those other teams out their are getting uncommon players we never offer.  Sooner or later we need to be on their radar screens.

Those schools are always going to get players we do or don't offer, and obviously, they don't meet our 3 A's approach. It's his process, I have no problem with him sticking to it. It's obvious, you do, however, I don't see us changing it any time soon. If it doesn't produce enough wins, maybe the next guy will offer everyone.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2016, 04:38:46 pm
Those schools are always going to get players we do or don't offer, and obviously, they don't meet our 3 A's approach. It's his process, I have no problem with him sticking to it. It's obvious, you do, however, I don't see us changing it any time soon. If it doesn't produce enough wins, maybe the next guy will offer everyone.

I think some adjustment will be made in the future.  Whether that is the plan all along, experience or wisdom we will probably argue about it then.

tophawg19

one thing i'm seeing is more teams feel confident about coming into Arkansas and offering kids than ever before . The other side of the coin is this . Even though a kid may be a 5 star player , he may not fit your system . Some get passed over every year because they just don't fit the scheme . With that said i have noticed a oddity in our QB recruiting . We have offers out to several smaller , faster dual threat QB's . More along the line of Peavey than the other qb's we have
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 06, 2016, 05:04:17 pm
one thing i'm seeing is more teams feel confident about coming into Arkansas and offering kids than ever before . The other side of the coin is this . Even though a kid may be a 5 star player , he may not fit your system . Some get passed over every year because they just don't fit the scheme . With that said i have noticed a oddity in our QB recruiting . We have offers out to several smaller , faster dual threat QB's . More along the line of Peavey than the other qb's we have

We have 1 dual threat QB offer out, and he's been committed to aTm for a while. The other 3 are Pro-style QB's, according to the rankings.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2016, 04:20:13 pm

According to that site if I do the math right we have 89 offers out.  That's a quick jump from 64. 

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 06, 2016, 05:22:52 pm
According to that site if I do the math right we have 89 offers out.  That's a quick jump from 64. 

Yep, 9 week grades at most high schools are in, or close.

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2016, 05:27:18 pm
Yep, 9 week grades at most high schools are in, or close.
I'm sure that's what we've been waiting on.... ;D

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on March 06, 2016, 06:16:25 pm
I'm sure that's what we've been waiting on.... ;D

Part of the process, so yeah, for those borderline guys, it's an important "A".

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

+1 sir
TRUST IN THE FORCE!!!  LET IT FLOW ALL THROUGHOUT YOU!!

HogNDas

why can't I calmly explain it like you did...the BEST recruiting tool there is is WINNING...we are slowly getting there, but we won't if we don't offer the 4 & 5 *'s.....why we aren't is beyond me... an 8 win season is great with the talent we have on hand....

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HogNDas on March 07, 2016, 08:14:05 am
why can't I calmly explain it like you did...the BEST recruiting tool there is is WINNING...we are slowly getting there, but we won't if we don't offer the 4 & 5 *'s.....why we aren't is beyond me... an 8 win season is great with the talent we have on hand....

We don't and we aren't? I just counted 47 4* or better offers on 247Sports.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

younghog

GO HOGS

HogNDas

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 07, 2016, 09:27:01 am
We don't and we aren't? I just counted 47 4* or better offers on 247Sports.
Hope they've all been adequately vetted....

PorkSoda

If we are going to offer them three-four years from now why can't we offer them now?  I fully believe that although you can alway find the exceptions you need to get on these players early.
recruiting doesnt only mean offering.  anyone we offer, we have likely recruited for years.   meaning that we have been sending them letters, showing up to thier games, talking to their coaches and family, etc etc

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 07, 2016, 01:43:46 pm
recruiting doesnt only mean offering.  anyone we offer, we have likely recruited for years.   meaning that we have been sending them letters, showing up to thier games, talking to their coaches and family, etc etc
Hmmmm, I bet that is the case with Bama too, but they ARE offering.... strongly believe we need to work harder, make more offers, and make them sooner

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HogNDas on March 07, 2016, 02:13:26 pm
Hmmmm, I bet that is the case with Bama too, but they ARE offering.... strongly believe we need to work harder, make more offers, and make them sooner

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogNDas on March 07, 2016, 02:13:26 pm
last guy we offered early (he was a sophmore) was overweight by the time he was a senior, and never contributed once in college.

we are not in a position to compete with bama, and offering kids early isn't going to change that.

when we win 4 NCs over the next decade, then maybe we can compete with bama for recruits.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 07, 2016, 06:54:16 pm
last guy we offered early (he was a sophmore) was overweight by the time he was a senior, and never contributed once in college.

we are not in a position to compete with bama, and offering kids early isn't going to change that.

when we win 4 NCs over the next decade, then maybe we can compete with bama for recruits.

Your throwing in the towel eh?

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 07, 2016, 06:54:16 pm

if it works for them, then do what they do, but do it better!!!!  WE CAN IF WE BELIEVE WE CAN!!!!!!!!

FBREW000

Quote from: HogNDas on March 07, 2016, 08:08:12 pm
if it works for them, then do what they do, but do it better!!!!  WE CAN IF WE BELIEVE WE CAN!!!!!!!!

ladies and gents, meet the little train that could....