Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squirrel Dog

Started by Wayne Watson, August 08, 2014, 06:51:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Watson

Looking to buy a squirrel dog.  Anyone know of anyone in NWA that may be a breeder or a good place to buy one.

Thanks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

twistitup

Pup or dog?

I know a guy that has rat / jack russell mix pups- good genetics for a sq dog if you like fiest style dogs

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on August 08, 2014, 06:56:57 pm
Pup or dog?

I know a guy that has rat / jack russell mix pups- good genetics for a sq dog if you like fiest style dogs

That's exactly the type of dog I'm looking for.  PM me a contact number.  I'd take a pup but would prefer a dog already trained. 

Thanks.
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

That is a great way to spend time in the woods....with a good squirrel dog.  Haven't done that since I was a kid.  Didn't often get to hunt with a dog, but it sure was fun. Hunting squirrels as a kid was my favorite......& how I really learned "how" to hunt.  If you could harvest a mess of gray squirrels on Saturday with a .22, you could probably successfully hunt just about anything in the area.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

twistitup

Wayne,
I'll see the guy today. I know he doesn't have trained dogs for sale, but he may have a few pups left. Last weekend there were 6 available. I'll also ask around about trained dogs.

Squirrel hunting is a blast, have loved it my whole life. My grandpa loved it too - he still ate the brains- old school!

Wayne Watson

We always had a squirrel dog when I was growing up.  I decided there is no reason to not have one now.
We don't rent pigs

AcornHunter

WW,

An East Siberian Laika is a long way from being a fyce, I know, but would you consider one?

What price range do you have in mind?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: AcornHunter on August 10, 2014, 02:09:38 pm
WW,

An East Siberian Laika is a long way from being a fyce, I know, but would you consider one?

Appreciate the offer but I'll pass on the ESL.
We don't rent pigs

howie76

I've had 3 different squirrel dogs and the laika is by far the smartest and best one I've had.

twistitup

Hey Wayne, these are Quachita pups, good genetics but...bit of a drive

Galla Creek Feist

http://www.cswnet.com/~brenfroe/tips.html

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on August 10, 2014, 05:20:21 pm

Galla Creek Feist

Thanks.  Not a drive at all.  I'm in that area about 6 or 8 times a year.
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: twistitup on August 10, 2014, 05:20:21 pm

Galla Creek Feist

Twistitup

Enjoyed that site with the pups, info & pictures, thanks.  Makes me want to do some squirrel hunting again this fall, around some scenic creeks & woods like those pictured.

twistitup

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 11, 2014, 01:18:38 am
Twistitup

Enjoyed that site with the pups, info & pictures, thanks.  Makes me want to do some squirrel hunting again this fall, around some scenic creeks & woods like those pictured.

Fall squirrel hunting is hard beat, this will be my first year with my new dog- I'm looking forward to it.

Wayne Watson

Got ready to buy a dog the other day....it was sold that day.  I like this guys dogs so I'm keeping tabs.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Our family had good luck with rat terriors, fiest and some beagles.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Got you a dog yet Wayne???
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Wayne Watson

We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Good Luck Try an AD in the paper!

Wayne Watson

Well, I got a pup from a friend in West Fork.  She's a mix but she seems very smart at 8 weeks old.  Time will tell.  Worse case, she sits in my lap and eats popcorn.  She does like hanging out in my shop.

We don't rent pigs

twistitup

My grandpa trained a schnauzer / poodle mix to be an awesome squirrel dog...it's possible with many many dogs!

Good luck

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on September 26, 2014, 04:48:06 pm
My grandpa trained a schnauzer / poodle mix to be an awesome squirrel dog...it's possible with many many dogs!

Good luck

Hope she works out.  I need someone who has a mature squirrel dog to hunt with to show her the ropes.
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 26, 2014, 01:15:45 pm

Well, I got a pup from a friend in West Fork.  She's a mix but she seems very smart at 8 weeks old.  Time will tell.  Worse case, she sits in my lap and eats popcorn.  She does like hanging out in my shop.

Nice looking pup, hope she turns out well for you.

DeltaBoy

Good luck take her to a city park and see if she will chase squirrels.  Like Twist my Great Grandfather took a many Heinz 57 dog and taught them to tree squirrels , When I was real little he had a Walker / Black n Tan mix that would tree every squirrel in 3 counties if you let it.

DeltaBoy

update on your dog Wayne.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 09, 2014, 12:05:07 pm

Doing good.  She weighs 16.4 lbs.  Working with her until she loses interest right now.  Training a pup has to be fun to them.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 26, 2014, 01:15:45 pm

Good Looking Dog.

DeltaBoy

root_hawg

There is a facebook page that has hunting dogs on it

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 05, 2014, 12:47:30 pm
Up dates Wayne?????? ??? ??? ???

She 3 months old now.  Gonna start hunting her after deer season.  She already loves to retrieve.  And she brings it straight back to you, let's you have it with no fuss.

We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Wayne Watson on November 05, 2014, 05:45:16 pm

She 3 months old now.  Gonna start hunting her after deer season.  She already loves to retrieve.  And she brings it straight back to you, let's you have it with no fuss.

Sounds like she is going to be a good one.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on November 05, 2014, 05:45:16 pm

She is showing all the traits of being a great squirrel dog.

PorkRinds

Dad used to train squirrel and rabbit dogs by killing one and skinning it, and then tying it to a rope.  Then he'd let the pup maul it over good and have us kids run around while the pup chased it.  When he wanted to teach it to tree, he'd have use run around and then throw the rope over a tree limb and let it hang there while the pup ran around underneath trying to get to it.  That's all I really remember that he did, but it worked pretty darn good.

DeltaBoy

How is that Dog doing Wayne.  :razorback:

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 19, 2014, 03:41:41 pm

Great.  She liked the snow the other day.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Sounds like she will be a great Hunting dog.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Wayne Watson on November 20, 2014, 09:13:16 am
Great.  She liked the snow the other day.

Are you shooting around her yet?  That was always the hardest part for me.  Getting them used to the shooting. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

DeltaBoy

We started all ours with 22 ramset blanks when they were still puppies while they were eating , first time about 30 yards away and with each week get a little closer till you with in 5 feet of them.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 20, 2014, 01:34:55 pm
We started all ours with 22 ramset blanks when they were still puppies while they were eating , first time about 30 yards away and with each week get a little closer till you with in 5 feet of them.

That's basically what I'm doing.

We don't rent pigs

root_hawg

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Glad to here on another thread that pup getting after those Tree Rats.

Wayne Watson

She's retired for a little while.  Was spayed last Friday so she's taking it easy for about 10 days.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Bless her heart but the will cut down on several issues down the road.

DeltaBoy

We need a update on that dog Wayne. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

waterhogg

Quote from: AcornHunter on August 10, 2014, 02:09:38 pm
WW,

AH Do you have Laika's?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 03, 2015, 09:28:23 am
We need a update on that dog Wayne. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Only been out once since surgery.  Did great.  Been too windy to do much than sit in front of a fire and rub her belly...which she loves.  She's over 60 lbs now...
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 23, 2015, 07:44:08 pm

Only been out once since surgery.  Did great.  Been too windy to do much than sit in front of a fire and rub her belly...which she loves.  She's over 60 lbs now...

Wow.  That dog has grown fast.  Looking at those pictures you have back in late Sept.....doesn't seem like it could be the same little pup.

Wayne Watson

We don't rent pigs

howie76

HawgWild

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 05, 2014, 12:47:30 pm
Up dates Wayne?????? ??? ??? ???
Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 19, 2014, 03:41:41 pm
Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 09, 2014, 12:05:07 pm
Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 29, 2014, 09:34:41 pm
Good looking dog.