Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extra point on kickoffs?

Started by NuttinItUp, November 30, 2016, 09:32:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Apparently John Harbaugh and Justin Tucker want them to add a rule in the NFL to allow a team to get a point if the kicking team gets the ball through the uprights.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/baltimore-ravens-john-harbaugh-justin-ticker-kickoff-one-point-rule-112816

If they adopted this in college eventually, would it make a difference? Has Arkansas ever had any kickers that could get a kickoff through the uprights?

bkjbearcat

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

a0ashle

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 30, 2016, 09:32:51 am
Apparently John Harbaugh and Justin Tucker want them to add a rule in the NFL to allow a team to get a point if the kicking team gets the ball through the uprights.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/baltimore-ravens-john-harbaugh-justin-ticker-kickoff-one-point-rule-112816

If they adopted this in college eventually, would it make a difference? Has Arkansas ever had any kickers that could get a kickoff through the uprights?

They originally moved the ball out to the 25 to encourage kicking teams to not return the ball out of the endzone, it was billed as a safety issue. Instead it only motivated kicking teams to not kick into the endzone. This rule would accomplish what they really wanted, but this rule would mean you get free uncontested points, you would want a touchback every time, and the kickoff becomes even less meaningful. At which point you might as well do away with the whole thing.

As for our kickers, I think they are told to emphasize hangtime and drop it in the corner and short. Notice how few of our kicks go to the middle of the field, which would be the shortest path to touchback. We have seen that our kickers can kick it out of the endzone, it just doesn't happen very often. We also know that CBB values starting field position (he has mentioned analytics regarding starting field position many times), and as an attempted bend don't break defense, that makes sense and would seem to support the idea of kicking high and to the 1 yard line to entice a return and hopefully pin them further back than the 25.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: a0ashle on November 30, 2016, 09:44:22 am
We have seen that our kickers can kick it out of the endzone, it just doesn't happen very often.

Yes, but kicking it out of the endzone and kicking it through the uprights (10 yards off the ground, and in a more accurate place) are two different things.

I am just wondering how many kickers even have the ability to kick it through the uprights on a kickoff?

That would amount to a 75-yard field goal when kicking off from the 35-yard-line, correct?

HuntsvilleHawgFan

I seem to remember Steve Little splitting the uprights on kickoffs a few times with the wind at his back.

Grizzlyfan

How about bringing in a windmill in front of the goal posts for extra points?

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 30, 2016, 10:25:23 am
How about bringing in a windmill in front of the goal posts for extra points?

Heh, exactly.   All these "enhancements" are starting to hurt the NFL.

DiamondHogFan

Maybe if you kick it through the uprights, the opposing team starts at the 10 yard line instead of the 20-25 yard line.  A definite advantage, but no uncontested points.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Gonzo

Was fairly common with Steve Little.

Go Hogs!

a0ashle

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 30, 2016, 10:13:04 am
Yes, but kicking it out of the endzone and kicking it through the uprights (10 yards off the ground, and in a more accurate place) are two different things.

I am just wondering how many kickers even have the ability to kick it through the uprights on a kickoff?

That would amount to a 75-yard field goal when kicking off from the 35-yard-line, correct?

Sorry misunderstood, took it for another complaint against our kickers not getting to the endzone. It would certainly be impressive, even at a NFL level.

FraggleHog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 30, 2016, 10:39:49 am
Maybe if you kick it through the uprights, the opposing team starts at the 10 yard line instead of the 20-25 yard line.  A definite advantage, but no uncontested points.

I think you're on to something, here... I like that! Don't like the uncontested points opportunity.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

NuttinItUp

I have heard some people propose making field goals longer than 50 yards worth 4 points instead of 3 as well.

HamSammich

The reason this will not happen is because Denver gets a huge advantage and the packers have no chance at capitalizing at home.

sickboy

Why not make it a straight up field goal for potentially 3 points? Just like a team can chose to go for two, let them chose to go for 3 on the kickoff. The kicking team has to announce that they're going for the field goal. At which point, you put the ball on the 50 yard line and let them try a 65-67 yard kick that, if missed short, can be advanced by the defending team like a return, and if missed wide gives the defending team the ball at the spot of the kick -- that being the 50 yard line.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

put a basketball goal on each side of the goal post too
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: sickboy on November 30, 2016, 01:29:40 pm
Why not make it a straight up field goal for potentially 3 points? Just like a team can chose to go for two, let them chose to go for 3 on the kickoff. The kicking team has to announce that they're going for the field goal. At which point, you put the ball on the 50 yard line and let them try a 65-67 yard kick that, if missed short, can be advanced by the defending team like a return, and if missed wide gives the defending team the ball at the spot of the kick -- that being the 50 yard line.
What if the team decides to do it every time and makes it every time?  The other team never gets a chance to be on offense...

Score, FG (kickoff), FG (kickoff), FG (kickoff)...

Now, it would take one heck of a kicker to repeatedly make 67 yd field goals, but...

Maybe only have the option to do it after a TD?

Hawghiggs

I think Kickoff point are stupid. But giving FG points based on distance is a solid idea. 20 yard field goal is worth 2 points. A 50 yard FG is worth 5.

longpig

John Harbaugh given up on making the playoffs, spending his office time on silly rule change schemes? 

Starting to act like James Joseph.
Don't be scared, be smart.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 30, 2016, 09:31:42 pm
I think Kickoff point are stupid. But giving FG points based on distance is a solid idea. 20 yard field goal is worth 2 points. A 50 yard FG is worth 5.

I could go for adjusted point field goals like this much more readily than a kickoff point.

Sho Nuff

I like this idea

(notOM)Rebel123

But the receiving team can have a returner right in front of the goal post who can jump up & try to block it.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

lefty08

Yeah, football needs more points.........

How about helping the defense a little bit and quit making football  a track meet.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HOGINTENNESSEE

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: lefty08 on December 01, 2016, 06:20:34 am
Yeah, football needs more points.........

How about helping the defense a little bit and quit making football  a track meet.

Bingo!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

DoubleReedHawgCaller

You go screwing with it and you'll have a bunch  of OT games and games end in a tie in the NFL.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

ChicoHog

Too much emphasis on a player who does nothing but kick. Everyone will be scrounging the globe even more than they already are for kickers.  More teams would not go for it on 4th and short and try a long FG instead.  I say "no" to the extra emphasis on FGs.  I'd much rather watch teams go for it. 

DiamondHogFan

I could see it now...3rd and 10 from the 20.  Down by 5 nearing the end of the game.  Do we try to get the 10 yards in 2 plays to set up a 1st and goal situation or run back to the 32 and fall down setting up a 50 yard field goal for the tie?

The dilemma...

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Gonzo on November 30, 2016, 12:21:13 pm
Was fairly common with Steve Little.

I remember Little's kickoffs going through the uprights AND hitting the garage doors to the Broyles Complex.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ZERO

I seem to remember Hocker doing it in... 2012? Maybe 2013. It was one of the years we sucked.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Michaelt

Steve Little and Steve Cox were consistent getting the ball out of the end zone.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.