Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumors and more rumors

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, November 06, 2017, 05:51:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs-n-Roses

As of bout 2 weeks ago I was certain Jeff Long would be retained and may or may not even fire our current coach. Was told today that that's not necessarily the case that I should wait til the Board meeting this week and pray for silence. As in no reports of what went on there officially. Like press conference announcing Longs new contract n such. Up until and thru last nite and today I had not much hope. Aparently the PTB aren't as happy with him as I'd previously taken for granted.

hobhog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 06, 2017, 05:51:37 pm
As of bout 2 weeks ago I was certain Jeff Long would be retained and may or may not even fire our current coach. Was told today that that's not necessarily the case that I should wait til the Board meeting this week and pray for silence. As in no reports of what went on there officially. Like press conference announcing Longs new contract n such. Up until and thru last nite and today I had not much hope. Aparently the PTB aren't as happy with him as I'd previously taken for granted.

Very telling. Or not.....

ricepig

Jeff Long is under contract until 2022, according to Matt Jones of the ADG. Now, they can fire him at their pleasure at any time. He says the contract he signed in 2015 has had the same 5 year rollover provision, I have know idea if that's correct or not.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hobhog on November 06, 2017, 05:55:53 pm
Very telling. Or not.....
I'd like Rice to go over the financial situation mor or any updates in that area.

Marshfieldhog

Not going to be happy if they extend Long's contract. Even if they keep him they should not do a 5 year rollover or whatever it's called. He needs a show of displeasure from the PTB.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 05:56:20 pm
Jeff Long is under contract until 2022, according to Matt Jones of the ADG. Now, they can fire him at their pleasure at any time. He says the contract he signed in 2015 has had the same 5 year rollover provision, I have know idea if that's correct or not.
I'm not saying you're wrong, because I absolutely do not know. But I have read in 2 different articles that Long was under contract until June 2018. 

The Pulse

When you can't get the media personnel, radio callers, newspaper columnists, or game commentators to do anything but criticize the coaches and state of our program constantly, the BOT has to hear it. They have no choice--there's nowhere to hide from it.

The dissent is EVERYWHERE and the response is inevitable.

urkillnmesmalls

The silence is deafening at this point.  As an AD, I don't know how you ignore that happened last weekend.  The unlikely Ole Miss win seemed to stem the tide briefly, but if they're thinking a win is a win when it's a 1 point victory over CC....then that's crazy.  How do you not say something...anything?  That sort of makes me wonder if there's not a hush-hush exit strategy for both JL and CBB being discussed that allows all parties to save face.  It seems to add up. 

The flip side is..what would he possibly say to appease the fan base?  "I know we suck, but we're going to ride this out and see if maybe BB will resign and save us the buyout, wreck a bike in the ditch, or make some other ill advised decision to help us out of this mess.  Oh and BTW, sorry it didn't work out, and I hired the wrong guy.  I thought I was doing well."   :D   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

jgcat4

I claim no source because they are usually worthless, but I've been told that Long and Bielema are both gone. The meeting this week will not extend Long's contract. He will be informed of the decision this week. Again, I claim no real source just what I've been told by someone.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 06, 2017, 05:57:42 pm
I'd like Rice to go over the financial situation mor or any updates in that area.

Well, there was the original contract with the 5 year rollover unless he was notified before July 1st that it wasn't. According to Matt, it's was extended in 2017, so thru 2022 currently. There have been two raises in 2012 and 2013, and one of them said he would be paid $1m/yr if fired without cause. I haven't seen either contract, but did read the letters with the raises, I'm sure the ADG FOI'd and has seen the contracts, or the original. He also said that there wasn't any mention of Long's contract in the upcoming meeting, but I don't know what they have to publicly disclose on what is in their executive session besides saying they are talking about employees. Lots of typing to say, I don't have a clue what is correct.

ricepig

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 06, 2017, 06:01:57 pm
I'm not saying you're wrong, because I absolutely do not know. But I have read in 2 different articles that Long was under contract until June 2018. 

Exactly what I told Matt and he posted a provision in his contract showing the rollover and stated it was rolled over last July 1st.

ipigsooie

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 06:12:44 pm
Exactly what I told Matt and he posted a provision in his contract showing the rollover and stated it was rolled over last July 1st.

Isnt his buyout only around 500k? Not that in the real world 500k isnt a whole lot of money, but relatively speaking if they want him gone that shouldn't be a problem.

hawgon

He is under contract until 2022.  It automatically rolls over to five years when it goes below that.  If the OP is right, the BOT will exercise the option to NOT roll it over which is in effect, a vote of no confidence.  He'll be gone before too long in that case and likely not all that involved in choosing a new coach.  Oh, he'll go through the motions and do as he is told because he wants the time to move on his own and not be fired, but he will in effect he told to "git".

If the OP is correct, that is likely how it will play out and Long will take the first job he can get on the way out of town.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 06:12:44 pm
Gotcha . Thanks.

Ironhawg

Does the north end zone project have any impact on retaining Long?  Maybe the BoT would want that finished before he departs?

ricepig

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 06, 2017, 06:45:38 pm
Does the north end zone project have any impact on retaining Long?  Maybe the BoT would want that finished before he departs?

I think it'll be done before 2022......

Ironhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 06:46:36 pm
I think it'll be done before 2022......

What i was thinking is he sticks around until that project is finished (2018?) then leaves.

ricepig

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 06, 2017, 06:53:28 pm
What i was thinking is he sticks around until that project is finished (2018?) then leaves.

I know, just having fun, I think??

Ironhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 06:56:38 pm
I know, just having fun, I think??

Rumors and more rumors.  They come at you so fast they just mess you up!

GTOWNHOG

Jeff and Bret met on Sunday evening.  The Board of Trustees meets on Wednesday.....  We have a new Chancellor from Ohio State.  Draw your own conclusions...
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

ricepig

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on November 06, 2017, 06:59:20 pm
Jeff and Bret met on Sunday evening.  The Board of Trustees meets on Wednesday.....  We have a new Chancellor from Ohio State.  Draw your own conclusions...

They are both getting raises?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

They slept at a holiday inn last night?
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

hawgon

Something is definitely up with Long.  His last tweet was on October 20th.  Since then we've had the SEC Cross Country Championship and the women went to SEC soccer championship game.  And nada from Jeff.  Not one thing.

This is bigger than football.  Find one time in his tenure here where he has disappeared like that.  You can't.  That is almost like a guy who has been told to shut up or has been told to hit the road or something.

Congratulatory tweets from the AD to those teams involved are pretty much part of the job these days and the lack thereof, is HIGHLY irregular for Jeff Long.

The Hawg Marshal

They went and got free tattoos?

HOGINTENNESSEE

We are getting Urban!!!! WPS

HoggyCat

Or he can be fired for cause...... there's 65,00,000 reasons they can fire with cause.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The Hawg Marshal

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 06, 2017, 07:05:34 pm
Or he can be fired for cause...... there's 65,00,000 reasons they can fire with cause.

No good with , ?

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 06, 2017, 07:05:34 pm

Umm, we've been down this path before, but good try.

Marshfieldhog

New Chancellor likes good football? That's a plus.

EastexHawg

That may be the case, but you know as well as the rest of us that that doesn't mean that he is always guaranteed five more years.  How many years did Petrino have on his contract.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 06, 2017, 07:14:05 pm
That may be the case, but you know as well as the rest of us that that doesn't mean that he is always guaranteed five more years.  How many years did Petrino have on his contract.

No, it just means he will be paid for those years.

hawgon

I've heard that Steinmetz is not a fan of the Longster, but I wouldn't know the real truth of that.  I will say that the one function I went to where Steinmetz was, he seemed like a real humble and down to earth guy...sort of the opposite of Long and maybe someone who might not be impressed with the imperial athletic director.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 07:16:33 pm
I’ve heard that Steinmetz is not a fan of the Longster, but I wouldn’t know the real truth of that.  I will say that the one function I went to where Steinmetz was, he seemed like a real humble and down to earth guy...sort of the opposite of Long and maybe someone who might not be impressed with the imperial athletic director.

That would be great news. Maybe the Steinmeister is better than Gayhart.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 07:15:10 pm
No, it just means he will be paid for those years.

It will be a bargain at twice the price.

oldhawg

Since speculation is rampant, especially about Bielema's replacement, just wondering if anyone wants to throw out a candidate's name for a new AD should it come to that?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 06, 2017, 07:19:59 pm
It will be a bargain at twice the price.

Don't count your votes too soon.

hawgon

Quote from: oldhawg on November 06, 2017, 07:20:11 pm
Since speculation is rampant, especially about Bielema's replacement, just wondering if anyone wants to throw out a candidate's name for a new AD should it come to that?

Talk Terry Don into a five year stint to right the ship and groom a replacement.

oldhawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 07:22:15 pm
Talk Terry Don into a five year stint to right the ship and groom a replacement.

Hasn't he already retired from Clemson a few years ago?

grayhawg

Quote from: oldhawg on November 06, 2017, 07:25:16 pm
I'll bet he's like me enjoying retirement and not interested in working again.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 06, 2017, 06:08:23 pm
I claim no source because they are usually worthless, but I've been told that Long and Bielema are both gone.

You were told the truth.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 07:21:39 pm
Don't count your votes too soon.

I don't know how many votes there are either way and don't claim to know.  I'm just hoping.

hawgon

Quote from: oldhawg on November 06, 2017, 07:25:16 pm

That's why I said that we would need to talk him into it.

Tusks

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 07:16:33 pm
I've heard that Steinmetz is not a fan of the Longster, but I wouldn't know the real truth of that.  I will say that the one function I went to where Steinmetz was, he seemed like a real humble and down to earth guy...sort of the opposite of Long and maybe someone who might not be impressed with the imperial athletic director.

This is a wonderful post.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm not going to comment on Long, but since someone commented on the chancellor I will give my opinion. I think Joe is a good leader for the UofA and a good guy. I emailed him over the summer to voice my concerns over an issue on campus since my daughter was an incoming freshman. I received a personal and thoughtful response. Now there's a chance it was his admin that sent it but felt like a genuine reply and that was enough for me.

As far as his time at OSU I believe that's a good thing as well. He understands the importance of athletics to a flagship university with football being the lead. He's also seen the bad side of it as well if programs are not being run the right way. I have faith in him dealing with Long and the BOT to find the best possible solution and candidate.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgon

Quote from: tusked on November 06, 2017, 07:37:22 pm
This is a wonderful post.

I'm not sure it is all that wonderful.  I admit that it is pretty much speculation.  For all I really know Long and Steinmetz are at this very minute sitting together, smoking big cigars, drinking whatever it is that Yankees drink and laughing at the yokels.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 07:00:31 pm
They are both getting raises?
Sweater vests, they're getting sweater vests.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 06:10:24 pm
Well, there was the original contract with the 5 year rollover unless he was notified before July 1st that it wasn't. According to Matt, it's was extended in 2017, so thru 2022 currently. There have been two raises in 2012 and 2013, and one of them said he would be paid $1m/yr if fired without cause. I haven't seen either contract, but did read the letters with the raises, I'm sure the ADG FOI'd and has seen the contracts, or the original. He also said that there wasn't any mention of Long's contract in the upcoming meeting, but I don't know what they have to publicly disclose on what is in their executive session besides saying they are talking about employees. Lots of typing to say, I don't have a clue what is correct.
Thx for this info but I was referring to the new projects info you posted bout 3-4 weeks ago. The figures/amounts of boxes and seats sold and the projections of sales and any updates on further sales since then. The over budget info you had was interesting. I realize some difference is expected and over cost is normal with projects this large.

Farmer Hogget

You people are truly amazing.  You create stories out of thin air then report them as fact and the sheep follow.  Bah, bah, bah!  It's amazing how weak minded and gullible grown men can be.