Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jump Ball

Started by Cinco de Hogo, March 10, 2018, 12:04:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

As I listened to the game was once again reminded of the lack of football players being produced by Little Rock.  Just about once every minute of action you heard this "so and so from Little Rock, AR".   Now its great that Little Rock can produce 3-5 d-1 basketball players every year but what about the hundreds that could be dreaming of a future in d-1 football?  I would guess that it should be 10-1, players capable of getting a D-1 scholarship in football vs basketball.  When you think of the educational opportunities lost because adults can't get their act together it's certainly seem that this situation is a reason to protest if you just have to protest something.   NFL players should stage a protest in Little Rock, AR!

presidenthog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 10, 2018, 12:04:01 am
As I listened to the game was once again reminded of the lack of football players being produced by Little Rock.  Just about once every minute of action you heard this "so and so from Little Rock, AR".   Now its great that Little Rock can produce 3-5 d-1 basketball players every year but what about the hundreds that could be dreaming of a future in d-1 football?  I would guess that it should be 10-1, players capable of getting a D-1 scholarship in football vs basketball.  When you think of the educational opportunities lost because adults can't get their act together it's certainly seem that this situation is a reason to protest if you just have to protest something.   NFL players should stage a protest in Little Rock, AR!

Fitz hill has discussed this on bo's show numerous times. Basketball is glorified in LR. Not football. It's cheaper to play basketball, and kids can just play pick up games with a basketball. Need grass and open area to just play football. Not plentiful there. Also politics plays a part. He also said plenty of 4 star football players are back up basketball players because of said issues above.

sickboy

Quote from: presidenthog on March 10, 2018, 12:38:16 am
Fitz hill has discussed this on bo's show numerous times. Basketball is glorified in LR. Not football. It's cheaper to play basketball, and kids can just play pick up games with a basketball. Need grass and open area to just play football. Not plentiful there. Also politics plays a part. He also said plenty of 4 star football players are back up basketball players because of said issues above.

I mean -- grass an open areas are plentiful in Little Rock too, but I do agree that there's an urban element to basketball that lends itself to Little Rock.

I would also guess that, in general, more and more parents are discouraging their kids from playing football as we move forward knowing what we know about head trauma and football. Obviously, that's not the real issue over the last ten or so years. I believe others who know a lot about the system in LR say that the county and bussing or something has really hurt football in Little Rock.

At any rate, it seems Little Rock produces an inordinate amount of good basketball talent for it's size. Maybe I'm wrong and that's just the optics.

HogMantheIntruder

Help is on the way. I'll say more when I can.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

#1 STUNNA

Not a Kevaughn Allen fan... But he is built like an SEC football player for sure.I would guess if he played football he would have excelled at it also... Screw Florida btw...lol

HawgHeadCheese

Beard would probably make a solid Rover/strong safety

HoggyCat

Quote from: sickboy on March 10, 2018, 01:00:05 am
I mean -- grass an open areas are plentiful in Little Rock too, but I do agree that there's an urban element to basketball that lends itself to Little Rock.

I would also guess that, in general, more and more parents are discouraging their kids from playing football as we move forward knowing what we know about head trauma and football. Obviously, that's not the real issue over the last ten or so years. I believe others who know a lot about the system in LR say that the county and bussing or something has really hurt football in Little Rock.

At any rate, it seems Little Rock produces an inordinate amount of good basketball talent for it's size. Maybe I'm wrong and that's just the optics.

So why isn't every corner of the state taking a step back?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

#1 STUNNA

Little rock football would be dead if it wasnt for PA, NLR, and Robinson.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 10, 2018, 08:57:03 am

Uhh...MONEY.

easy to buy a hoop, ball, on a concrete court.

Football, like baseball (400.00 bat, 300.00 glove), now is friggin' expensive to suit up your kids!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

azhog10

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 10, 2018, 09:17:59 am
Uhh...MONEY.

easy to buy a hoop, ball, on a concrete court.

Football, like baseball (400.00 bat, 300.00 glove), now is friggin' expensive to suit up your kids!
Money argument doesn't work with football. No one needs pads to practice and excel at football. Hell most states don't allow the use of pads outside of summer camp and football season. A football is as cheap as a basketball and all you need is a handful of kids and you got some kind of 7v7 game. Little Rock has just always been a big basketball town. It's just in the dna of that city. Football will have some kids here and there but every single one of those kids dreams of being the next Joe Johnson or Bobby Portis.

daprospecta

Grew up in little rock and played at  LR Fair.  You want to know why little rock does not produce a lot of top fb recruits? It's not the lack of talent, it's the lack of investment in athletics.  I remember going to the old Rogers high school and being amazed that high school players had access to that type of equipment.  Little Rock has tons of talent but very few are getting good coaching and have access to adequate facilities.   It's no mystery that the same schools have players signing D1 in LR. It's my home town and I love it but it needs to be sorted out.

Cinco de Hogo

Little Rock, West Memphis and Pine Bluff all made the top 25 most dangerous cities.  There is no good reason for that crap in Arkansas.  No reason other than the responsible adults not acting like adults.

hoglady

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 10, 2018, 08:07:23 am
Not a Kevaughn Allen fan... But he is built like an SEC football player for sure.I would guess if he played football he would have excelled at it also... Screw Florida btw...lol

Kevaughn had one of the best football programs in the state available to him and he chose to play basketball - same with Beard.
NLR football is a top shelf program with quality coaching and can't be compared to LR - although McClellan has been doing really well and Parkview is on the rise with Bolding as coach.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 10, 2018, 08:57:03 am

McClellan is good and Parkview is better and will continue to improve with Bolding.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

Quote from: daprospecta on March 10, 2018, 09:41:23 pm
Grew up in little rock and played at  LR Fair.  You want to know why little rock does not produce a lot of top fb recruits? It's not the lack of talent, it's the lack of investment in athletics.  I remember going to the old Rogers high school and being amazed that high school players had access to that type of equipment.  Little Rock has tons of talent but very few are getting good coaching and have access to adequate facilities.   It's no mystery that the same schools have players signing D1 in LR. It's my home town and I love it but it needs to be sorted out.

I'm anxious to see how it plays out when the new high school opens that combines McClellan and Fair - hopefully the McClellan coach gets the head coaching job.
My daughter was at Fair when they won the state championship with Cobbs. That team had good coaching. Once Eskola (sp?) left they fell off the map.

(notOM)Rebel123

Didn't the LR public schools change their class scheduling several years back that eliminated athletics as a class period, moving all practices to after the school day?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoglady

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2018, 08:02:51 am
Didn’t the LR public schools change their class scheduling several years back that eliminated athletics as a class period, moving all practices to after the school day?

That's my understanding. And I don't believe the school provides transportation home after practice.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2018, 08:02:51 am
Didn't the LR public schools change their class scheduling several years back that eliminated athletics as a class period, moving all practices to after the school day?

Yes, but they reinstated it a couple of years ago. They still have the problem of late practices, rides home afterwards, and his routes.

redeye

Quote from: daprospecta on March 10, 2018, 09:41:23 pm

And that started with white flight and the LRSD raising the required GPA in the 80's, which I believe has since been lowered back, but only after the damage was already done.  No one cares about the LRSD anymore, except when it comes to producing football players.  It doesn't work that way.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: redeye on March 11, 2018, 07:55:56 pm
And that started with white flight and the LRSD raising the required GPA in the 80's, which I believe has since been lowered back, but only after the damage was already done.  No one cares about the LRSD anymore, except when it comes to producing football players.  It doesn't work that way.

Are you talking about people outside of the school district or the people inside?  I don't think anyone cares about the school district I live in either, but the people inside it sure do.

redeye

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 11, 2018, 08:39:24 pm
Are you talking about people outside of the school district or the people inside?  I don't think anyone cares about the school district I live in either, but the people inside it sure do.

I'm talking about both.  There are people who care, but just not enough anymore.  The problems may have begun in the courtroom, but at some point that becomes an old, tiresome excuse.  I think we're well past that point now.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: azhog10 on March 10, 2018, 10:35:02 am
Money argument doesn't work with football. No one needs pads to practice and excel at football. Hell most states don't allow the use of pads outside of summer camp and football season. A football is as cheap as a basketball and all you need is a handful of kids and you got some kind of 7v7 game. Little Rock has just always been a big basketball town. It's just in the dna of that city. Football will have some kids here and there but every single one of those kids dreams of being the next Joe Johnson or Bobby Portis.

That's what people always said about Memphis in the 80s and 90s, but there are plenty of D1 football prospects coming out of there. I know Memphis is more populous, but they have an NBA team also..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I played 6A ball in south Arkansas 10 years ago. Every team from central Arkansas other than NLR and Bryant was considered an automatic win. I remember at one point J.A Fair went like 3 - 17 over a 2 year period. Parkview, Central, and hall weren't even .500 teams and when they were it was just barely. Why would ANY kid want to join a program like that? Problem isn't just funds, its also coaching
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoglady

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 12, 2018, 07:07:24 am
I played 6A ball in south Arkansas 10 years ago. Every team from central Arkansas other than NLR and Bryant was considered an automatic win. I remember at one point J.A Fair went like 3 - 17 over a 2 year period. Parkview, Central, and hall weren't even .500 teams and when they were it was just barely. Why would ANY kid want to join a program like that? Problem isn't just funds, its also coaching

You are so right about the coaching.
Even an underfunded athletic program can be good with good coaching.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: hoglady on March 10, 2018, 10:35:12 pm
McClellan is good and Parkview is better and will continue to improve with Bolding.

The teams i mentioned have sent players to the hogs. Without them Little Rock football would be dead for Razorback recruiting over the years.

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on March 10, 2018, 01:00:05 am

I would also guess that, in general, more and more parents are discouraging their kids from playing football as we move forward knowing what we know about head trauma and football.

More and more parents are not discouraging their kids form playing football, more and more parents just are not doing much of anything. Having your kids in any extra-curricular stuff takes time and often $ and parents are not or can not give up those things. I have two boys, both have always been involved in something, either football or baseball or basketball or band. When my older one was a soph in hs, he had to be at band practice every day at 7. Well he could not drive yet and the bus did not run that early, so one of us had to take him, while the other got our younger one ready and took them. Sadly, in many homes, there is not the option of two people  to split up duties, because it is a single parent home. Right now, our younger son plays baseball. He has to leave JRHS everyday and someone has to take him to practice at the HS field or at their indoor facility. If we were in a single parent situation we would have to rely on others to get him there or he would not be able to play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on March 12, 2018, 08:01:43 am
You are so right about the coaching.
Even an underfunded athletic program can be good with good coaching.

But why would a good coach want to go coach in a underfunded program knowing that wins will be tough to come by and keeping their job will be hard because of it?

Why would a kid that is really good at basketball and maybe just average at football want to spend August in the heat being hit and hitting his own teammates when he can be playing basketball, a sport he is better at anyway?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:32:01 am
More and more parents are not discouraging their kids form playing football, more and more parents just are not doing much of anything. Having your kids in any extra-curricular stuff takes time and often $ and parents are not or can not give up those things. I have two boys, both have always been involved in something, either football or baseball or basketball or band. When my older one was a soph in hs, he had to be at band practice every day at 7. Well he could not drive yet and the bus did not run that early, so one of us had to take him, while the other got our younger one ready and took them. Sadly, in many homes, there is not the option of two people  to split up duties, because it is a single parent home. Right now, our younger son plays baseball. He has to leave JRHS everyday and someone has to take him to practice at the HS field or at their indoor facility. If we were in a single parent situation we would have to rely on others to get him there or he would not be able to play.

My wife or I always made sure our sons got to every event(practice) they were supposed to be at...and we usually had a van full of kids who's parents couldn't do that for whatever reason.  In fact we bought and extended van with rear air just for that purpose.  It doesn't take every parent every time just enough to share the load.  And for goodness sakes get rid of the useless  two seater status symbol and buy something you can haul kids around in, they will remember those days much more.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:35:21 am
But why would a good coach want to go coach in a underfunded program knowing that wins will be tough to come by and keeping their job will be hard because of it?

Why would a kid that is really good at basketball and maybe just average at football want to spend August in the heat being hit and hitting his own teammates when he can be playing basketball, a sport he is better at anyway?

Why wouldn't a kid want to play as many sports as possible?  Why wouldn't a up and coming coach want to coach where he knows there is lots of talent?  Do coaches not have egos?  But most of all why isn't the LRSD producing past and future up and coming coaches that have a desire to make a difference in the LRSD?

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 12, 2018, 10:13:05 am
My wife or I always made sure our sons got to every event(practice) they were supposed to be at...and we usually had a van full of kids who's parents couldn't do that for whatever reason.  In fact we bought and extended van with rear air just for that purpose.  It doesn't take every parent every time just enough to share the load.  And for goodness sakes get rid of the useless  two seater status symbol and buy something you can haul kids around in, they will remember those days much more.

Oh we've been the team van many times. We have a vehicle that will seat 7 and still hold a ton of gear. You said " My wife or I " again, two parents.

I manage the youth baseball program for our church. When I started doing that my oldest was 5. Not one kid on his team was from a single parent home ( and over half of them were not "church" families ). Last year, on the 5 yr old team, we had 13 kids and out of those 13, 9 were from single parent homes. Of 140 players from 5-15 yrs old last yr, 63% came from single parent households. Care to guess which ones missed the most practices and games?

Funny you mentioned a " two seater status symbol " because the other group of kids who I see not being involved in as many extra curriculars are kids in families that are pretty well off because the parents are always at the lake or going here or there for a weekend trips, etc. They won't give up their lifestyle for their kids to do team things. Their kids are in tennis or dance or golf.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 12, 2018, 10:17:02 am
Why wouldn't a kid want to play as many sports as possible?  Why wouldn't a up and coming coach want to coach where he knows there is lots of talent?  Do coaches not have egos?  But most of all why isn't the LRSD producing past and future up and coming coaches that have a desire to make a difference in the LRSD?

I am not in LR, so I cant answer those questions from 1st hand knowledge. But, from what I read here, why would a up and coming football coach want to go where most of the kids either drop out, can't stay eligible, or choose to play basketball and he is going to have trouble fielding a competitive football team?  One of the issue is that while they LR schools are in the biggest classifications, their football teams have a turnout more like smaller classification schools.

As to why wouldn't a kid want to play as many sports as possible? Alot of it is because the coaches in the individual sports want the kids year around now. When I was in school in the mid 80's, football started Aug 1, and went til early nov ( a little later if you made the playoffs ). Schools that had football could not even have OFFICIAL basketball practice until Oct 15. So the basketball ran from about Nov 1 through Feb. Then baseball and track was spring. Now, football starts the week after the current season ends - weights, drills, position work, etc. Baseball practice started right after labor day. There are no individual seasons anymore. Kids, especially at larger schools, are pushed to pick which sport they want to play. Oh there are still the 3 sport stars, kids who are good at everything, and at smaller schools they can't afford to have kids specialize in one thing, but at the bigger schools kids fell pushed to pick one.

And, when picking one, it depends on the area. Fort Smith is a football town. LR is a basketball city. That's not to say there are not some good basketball players in Ft Smith ( NS just played in back to back state title games and the Hogs are getting a guard from NS ), but from rinky dink through HS, most kids in FS want to play Football. The boys clubs baseball program is bad, the basketball ends at 6th grade ( they have older teams but anyone that can play is playing JRhs ball ) and if you don't make one of the jrhs teams in 7th grade you are pretty much done with basketball. Actually, the entire Western side of the state is a football area.

Ash

Quote from: azhog10 on March 10, 2018, 10:35:02 am

In today's world you don't start a sport once it is a school sport unless you want to ride the bench if you even manage to make the team. Benton starts tackle with pads in 4th grade. Bryant starts tackle with pads in 3rd grade. Little Rock also has youth programs.

When the parents are faced with paying for a basketball vs paying for gear for their kid to start learning football. A lot of them can't afford the latter. So you end up with more kids playing basketball as youths which translates into school sports.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ash on March 12, 2018, 11:20:56 am
In today's world you don't start a sport once it is a school sport unless you want to ride the bench if you even manage to make the team. Benton starts tackle with pads in 4th grade. Bryant starts tackle with pads in 3rd grade. Little Rock also has youth programs.

When the parents are faced with paying for a basketball vs paying for gear for their kid to start learning football. A lot of them can't afford the latter. So you end up with more kids playing basketball as youths which translates into school sports.

Plus you can practice basketball in your driveway or anywhere else there is a goal, and you do not need anyone to help.