Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema take on Austin Allen

Started by Dillon23, March 02, 2018, 02:19:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 02, 2018, 08:49:07 pm
We have no idea what he said. Unless it's a direct quote it's hard to get too worked up about it.

Exactly.

So, just because someone writes, without actually quoting the person, that "so and so" feels a certain way about something makes it true? Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ChitownHawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 02, 2018, 10:28:05 pm
Exactly.

So, just because someone writes, without actually quoting the person, that "so and so" feels a certain way about something makes it true? Geez.

One of these babies just PMed me over this. Seems the nursery is all in rage. Need to let it go folks. CCM is now in charge. Been watching some old games with CBP and it was nice having announcers speak of our speed.

New coach to support. Let the other guy go back to B10.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 03, 2018, 04:58:37 am
One of these babies just PMed me over this. Seems the nursery is all in rage. Need to let it go folks. CCM is now in charge. Been watching some old games with CBP and it was nice having announcers speak of our speed.

New coach to support. Let the other guy go back to B10.

LOL! +1

NorthDallas40

"I'm not a doctor so how would I know? And even if I did,  you know I couldn't tell you due to the medical privacy laws."

The NewEra

Austin Allen gets sacked again.  This time by Bielema.  You would think those Allen boys had been beaten up enough.  I guess not.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2018, 06:48:33 pm
The ailments were caused by sorry ass offensive line that was caused by highly questionable recruiting and the hire of a guy that should never coach at the P5 level again.  Bet Bert won't claim that nugget unless of course it was battered and deep fried.

First, we don't know what Bielema actually said, unless someone can produce a verifiable quote. Second, I'm not at all for labeling these kids as a "sorry ass offensive line". I'm not buying that at all. From 2012-2017 the OL as a whole averaged out as high 3-star kids, just a hair below being a low 4 star O-Line. The problem for us was the attrition factor that we experienced with the OL that didn't enable us to keep most of those kids and develop them. But I will agree that I reserve doubts about how well they were coached this past season.
Go Hogs Go!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The NewEra on March 03, 2018, 07:23:56 am
Austin Allen gets sacked again.  This time by Bielema.  You would think those Allen boys had been beaten up enough.  I guess not.

Sad thing is....nobody on here has any proof whatsoever that Bielema actually said what he is being accused of saying. But most are taking it as fact that he did.

""A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.""

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 03, 2018, 07:28:58 am
First, we don't know what Bielema actually said, unless someone can produce a verifiable quote. Second, I'm not at all for labeling these kids as a "sorry ass offensive line". I'm not buying that at all. From 2012-2017 the OL as a whole averaged out as high 3-star kids, just a hair below being a low 4 star O-Line. The problem for us was the attrition factor that we experienced with the OL that didn't enable us to keep most of those kids and develop them. But I will agree that I reserve doubts about how well they were coached this past season.

Bingo.

From Tusk Till Dawn

About half of HV never wanted AA to return last year when the steamboat package arrived and was tired of an Allen bros at QB, FV high, and all that jazz.  I'm sure none of the fine folks on this thread felt this way but Im happy to see he's getting some support.  As for BB, certainly wasnt known as a players coach, so Im sure he had bad intentions.

Dark Helmet Hog

No one knows what Bielema really said.

Both Allen and the offensive line where the victims of terrible coaching and at times head scratching play calls. Also, there were a lot of sacks where the Hogville "experts" blame the line that were really on the running back or Allen himself. I don't think we know how good or bad the line really is.

rljjr

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 02, 2018, 07:05:50 pm
No it doesn't. It just states...
"Former head coach, Bret Bielema believes Allen has been permanently affected by these ailments".
That's not a direct quote. Not a staunch defender of CBB by any stretch. But to write that in the analysis without a direct quote is weak.

It's not weak, it's attributed to CBB by name. You don't always get quotes. It also doesn't mean CBB was bashing AA, but was asked a question and provided his assessment. Like it or not when you ask CBB a question you get what's on him mind. It doesn't mean he's right, but it is what he thinks. Could he have answered it better or differently? Absolutely. The bottom line is one comment from a college HC is not going to determine whether AA gets an NFL shot or not. The NFL is full of savvy player personnel people who know how to evaluate talent and have unlimited medical resources at their disposal.

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 02, 2018, 08:39:00 pm
Again you are jumping to a conclusion from an indirect quote.

No I'm not - it's one or the other.
He either based his comment off speculation or medical information - there's really not an in between on this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

k.c.hawg

This is like hanging out with a bunch of guys that are divorced and remarried. Can't go have a couple of beers without listening to 2 hours of bitching about the ex-wife. Get over it!! She probably didn't even say it!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

fullfan

Quote from: hoglady on March 03, 2018, 09:02:32 am
No I'm not - it's one or the other.
He either based his comment off speculation or medical information - there's really not an in between on this.

I believe as the HC and in the coaching profession for years he was closer to situation and MORE informed regarding the situation than anyone on this board.  If potential employers for both AA and BB inquire he is certainly expected to give honest evaluations.   

Truth is next level teams have the tape and AA's workouts to use as well in the evaluation process.

Personally, I would love for AA as all former Hogs to do well at the next level.   

aloha_kid

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 02, 2018, 07:58:49 pm
So now CBB is giving medical opinions? He went to medical school with the 15MM? AA should sue CBB for illegal release of personal medical information.

Did he say anything that wasn't already known in the media?

aloha_kid

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on March 03, 2018, 07:13:23 am
"I'm not a doctor so how would I know? And even if I did,  you know I couldn't tell you due to the medical privacy laws."

Ummm he didn't release any private medical data.  He simply made a comment when asked a question.  He didn't say the injuries were so significant he wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.  The injury may have simply adjusted his throwing motion, which could be "permanently affected by these ailments."

greenie

As always in articles like this, there's at least a little truth and at least a little spin. Not much to see here for me.  I wish Austin and Bret luck finding their next gig.

Silver Hog

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Dillon23 on March 02, 2018, 02:19:49 pm
Just reading Austin's Bio on the NFL combine page and saw this.

"Former head coach, Bret Bielema believes Allen has been permanently affected by these ailments"

In reference to his shoulder injuries.  Although it may be honest and true, it doesn't sound like the endorsement you would want from the coach that put you in the position to get pounded every game.   
WOW. That fat bass turd is really something. I cant WAIT until I catch him at harp's or red kite coffee next. Im going to say, "Oh, you're still here??" and laugh my ass off. What a sorry human being.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

007 License To Squeal

"Former head coach, Bret Bielema believes Allen has been permanently affected by these ailments"

In reference to his shoulder injuries.  Although it may be honest and true, it doesn't sound like the endorsement you would want from the coach that put you in the position to get pounded every game.   

Wonder how much that opinion from BB will cost Austin?  I thought most coaches had a little more common sense than to say something like that.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 03, 2018, 10:54:45 am
He didn't say the injuries were so significant he wouldn't waste a draft pick on him. 

Ahh, yea, I think that is exactly what he said.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Nashville Fan

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 03, 2018, 10:51:53 am
Did he say anything that wasn't already known in the media?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-quarterback-austin-allen-missouri/amp

It's only in the media because Bert's been saying it since Nov. Here is the quote for all of you saying that he didn't say it. Wrong then and now it's still wrong because it's not his information to release or even worse give his opinion on.
Pittman or Bust!

Everyone who reads on here knows that Bret Bielema was never my idea of a HC, BUT until this is properly accounted for, I don't believe its right for any of us to do a hatchet job on Bret for that.  I am warry about Bret plainly stating that unless put in a situation where he nearly had to.  Like another poster said, even under the gun, Bret could have said he wasn't a Doctor but all should remember that Austin was hurt and played hurt and we may not have seen his best at that time.  I suggest Austin will be evaluated based on what he produces NOW.  He won't be  noticed at all if NFL teams put much stock in what he produced for Arkansas.  If he is considered by the NFL, it will be by his potential NOW.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 03, 2018, 12:58:15 pm #73 Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:01:17 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 03, 2018, 12:35:32 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-quarterback-austin-allen-missouri/amp

It's only in the media because Bert's been saying it since Nov. Here is the quote for all of you saying that he didn't say it. Wrong then and now it's still wrong because it's not his information to release or even worse give his opinion on.

Saying it in November of 2017 and saying it in February/March of 2018 are two entirely different things. He might have mis-spoken by saying "permanently" but at the time, he was taking up for the kid because many (including many on here) were giving him major heat for his performance to date in November of last year. IF this writer is somehow using this as if it is current news, that makes it by virtue of time, out of context. But by all means, let's all jump on it like it was stated sometime during the last week or so.

Just for the record, here is the actual quote. Take note of when the article was written.

"Austin, I know, had big dreams and aspirations going into this year and, unfortunately, sometimes the powers that be don't let it happen," said coach Bret Bielema. "It wasn't from a lack of effort. It wasn't from a lack of preparation. I think he's been permanently affected by his health to be quite honest."

All Allen has now is one last opportunity to go out with a victory. A win Friday would ease some of the disappointment.

"Austin has just been through a lot this year," said offensive coordinator Dan Enos. "I really feel bad for him. He's invested in this program and this team. I hope we can play well and win this last game. We'll certainly do everything we can as a coaching staff to help put him in that situation."

The way his coaches speak of him says a lot about Allen. He's highly respected, and all of them wish he had been given better circumstances. Allen has earned that respect by proving he's never going to quit on his team. Despite the beatings, he does whatever he can to give Arkansas a chance to win.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-quarterback-austin-allen-missouri
Go Hogs Go!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 02, 2018, 07:58:49 pm
So now CBB is giving medical opinions? He went to medical school with the 15MM? AA should sue CBB for illegal release of personal medical information.
Agree. A simple "I'll leave that to the medical professionals to determine" would have sufficed.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 03, 2018, 12:06:34 pm
WOW. That fat bass turd is really something. I cant WAIT until I catch him at harp's or red kite coffee next. Im going to say, "Oh, you're still here??" and laugh my ass off. What a sorry human being.

Don't worry sweetie, with a good lawyer you will have an adequate divorce settlement.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 03, 2018, 12:58:15 pm
Saying it in November of 2017 and saying it in February/March of 2018 are two entirely different things. He might have mis-spoken by saying "permanently" but at the time, he was taking up for the kid because many (including many on here) were giving him major heat for his performance to date in November of last year. IF this writer is somehow using this as if it is current news, that makes it by virtue of time, out of context. But by all means, let's all jump on it like it was stated sometime during the last week or so.

Just for the record, here is the actual quote. Take note of when the article was written.

"Austin, I know, had big dreams and aspirations going into this year and, unfortunately, sometimes the powers that be don't let it happen," said coach Bret Bielema. "It wasn't from a lack of effort. It wasn't from a lack of preparation. I think he's been permanently affected by his health to be quite honest."

All Allen has now is one last opportunity to go out with a victory. A win Friday would ease some of the disappointment.

"Austin has just been through a lot this year," said offensive coordinator Dan Enos. "I really feel bad for him. He's invested in this program and this team. I hope we can play well and win this last game. We'll certainly do everything we can as a coaching staff to help put him in that situation."

The way his coaches speak of him says a lot about Allen. He's highly respected, and all of them wish he had been given better circumstances. Allen has earned that respect by proving he's never going to quit on his team. Despite the beatings, he does whatever he can to give Arkansas a chance to win.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-quarterback-austin-allen-missouri
Wait, what?  You mean this isnt even recent.  I was sure Bret was running down sideline reporters at the combine to provide hot takes on his Sr. QB.   
Here's AA's quote (also not recent)
"The past 5 years have been the best years of my life! Always dreamed of running through the A with the Razorback on my helmet and to fulfill that dream is something I'll cherish forever. Thank you @BretBielema for believing in me and being a truly special coach and leader of men."

aloha_kid

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on March 03, 2018, 12:08:48 pm
Ahh, yea, I think that is exactly what he said.

What he said wasn't anything that wouldn't be revealed in medical evaluations and physical evaluations.  You can either throw the ball or you can't.  People are pissed just to be pissed.  Welcome to Hogville.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 03, 2018, 08:23:57 pm
What he said wasn't anything that wouldn't be revealed in medical evaluations and physical evaluations.  You can either throw the ball or you can't.  People are pissed just to be pissed.  Welcome to Hogville.

Exactly. None of the people who are "up in arms"over this gave a rat's-arse about CBB's comment back in November. The OP posted this as if it was said right before the combine. If AA doesn't make it in the NFL, it certainly won't be because of CBB's comment 3 months ago. And for those screaming "HIPPA Violation"....seriously? My gosh...Some people just wake up looking to be pissed off about things that have no bearing on their life.

Never mind the fact that CBB's "quote" was before the Mizzou game. AA's so-called"permanent damage" resulted in him completing 14 of 29 passes for 313 yards and 2 TD's.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 03, 2018, 12:35:32 pm

He hasn't been saying it "since" November. He said it the week before the Mizzou game. Check out AA's stats for the game. CBB didn't release anything medical that NFL scouts & medical experts won't mull over & diagnose multiple times with a fine toothed comb. Geez. Some people are clueless.

(notOM)Rebel123

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 03, 2018, 12:06:34 pm

Please record it on your phone and post the video tough guy.

PorkRinds

I'm a big misguided outrage fan. This thread delivers.

HognotinMemphis

It's not so much the question or issue of possible ailments that AA may or may not have. It's the last 5 bullet points listed that question AA's ability to ever see a NFL field, especially the last one:

*Decision making in red zone has been poor leading to critical interceptions
*Lacks feel for spatial relationship
*Fails to recognize when defenders are still a hazard to his throw
*Gun-shy to cut it loose when receivers were open
*Hangs onto the ball for too long

He will not be drafted.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Cure

Austin Allen will go late if he has a solid pro day. He did well for himself at the combine.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 04, 2018, 01:14:31 am
I'm a big misguided outrage fan. This thread delivers.

My outrage has a sherpa.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogFoo

Wow, what POS thing to say by the guy that put him in the position to get those 'ailments'.  Seriously, I hope that Bret didn't say that, that it was out of context or something.  cuz for anyone to do that to a former player at this time when he could make a lot of money is just horrible.  That is just sorry!   That is something that even if BERT felt that way, he holds it back and doesn't say ANYTHING! So yeah, that definitely is Bert looking out for Bert saying that kind of thing.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogFoo on March 04, 2018, 11:48:01 pm
Wow, what POS thing to say by the guy that put him in the position to get those 'ailments'.  Seriously, I hope that Bret didn't say that, that it was out of context or something.  cuz for anyone to do that to a former player at this time when he could make a lot of money is just horrible.  That is just sorry!   That is something that even if BERT felt that way, he holds it back and doesn't say ANYTHING! So yeah, that definitely is Bert looking out for Bert saying that kind of thing.

Read the thread. It was an old quote from before the Missouri game. Taken completely out of context.

HogFoo

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 04, 2018, 11:51:28 pm
Read the thread. It was an old quote from before the Missouri game. Taken completely out of context.
Well that's just it though.  Even in retrospect, it sure makes one realize all the things that a coach shouldn't have done.  Really, what makes it any better if Bert said it back then? It doesn't really. Most coaches don't say anything about injury because they don't want other opposing coaches or players to target that.  It just piles onto the mess that was "Being Bert bielema".
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogFoo on March 04, 2018, 11:56:36 pm
Well that's just it though.  Even in retrospect, it sure makes one realize all the things that a coach shouldn't have done.  Really, what makes it any better if Bert said it back then? It doesn't really. Most coaches don't say anything about injury because they don't want other opposing coaches or players to target that.  It just piles onto the mess that was "Being Bert bielema".

Becuase it wasn't in the context of him being drafted. It was isn't eh context of how tough the guy is after coming back from injury before the Missouri game.

presidenthog

I just want everyone to know that all of us knew Austin was permenantly damaged goods after the first 2 games last season. He wasn't the same guy after his jr year. No telling what Bert said, but what the writer is implying was said everyone already knew, or suspected.

This is not breaking news. I knew Austin was not getting drafted after the tcu game. These comments mean nothing. The faux outrage here is dumb, but I do think CBB should have stuck up for a guy he ruined.