Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Q&A with the AD in today's Demozette

Started by lakecityhog, February 12, 2018, 08:57:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

There was a great article in the paper with HY answering questions from the Demozette. Lot of memory here so don't hold me to being 100% on everything!

#1 He DID acknowledge that we have 2 burning issues to resolve--- Coke or Pepsi and Slobberin Hog or not!
#2 The Broyles Center will remain the Broyles Center
#3 MA's contract extension was done before he arrived, but he agrees with it.
#4 Buyout's should be tied to performance, fired with less than .500 winning % means fired with cause and buyout should be reduced by maybe half??
#5 His own buyout is 50% both ways and didn't take 2 or 3 minutes for the negotiations!
#6 Ball game in Little Rock is an on-going discussion with ALL involved parties, including the Govenor.
#7 He presented idea of LR for spring game to Morris and he was excited about the idea. Spring game will NOT be an afternoon and back to Fayetteville, more like a 24 to 36 hour event!
More but I'm done!

GREAT ARTICLE!!! I like this guy.

sickboy

Cotton

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 12, 2018, 08:57:42 pm
There was a great article in the paper with HY answering questions from the Demozette. Lot of memory here so don't hold me to being 100% on everything!

#1 He DID acknowledge that we have 2 burning issues to resolve--- Coke or Pepsi and Slobberin Hog or not!
#2 The Broyles Center will remain the Broyles Center
#3 MA's contract extension was done before he arrived, but he agrees with it.
#4 Buyout's should be tied to performance, fired with less than .500 winning % means fired with cause and buyout should be reduced by maybe half??
#5 His own buyout is 50% both ways and didn't take 2 or 3 minutes for the negotiations!
#6 Ball game in Little Rock is an on-going discussion with ALL involved parties, including the Govenor.
#7 He presented idea of LR for spring game to Morris and he was excited about the idea. Spring game will NOT be an afternoon and back to Fayetteville, more like a 24 to 36 hour event!
More but I'm done!

GREAT ARTICLE!!! I like this guy.
Good stuff, thanks for posting +1
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

rhames

I like him.

Coke is a university decision but time for a change.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The NewEra

Regarding the "Slobbering Hog" thing, I think if you polled the entire fan base the consensus would be to stay with what we have and forget that anemic looking pig.  I sure hope he doesn't make that issue too high a priority.

GuvHog

Quote from: Karma on February 13, 2018, 08:45:46 am
He's very straight forward. I like him.

Agreed, It's really nice to once again have an AD who knows what he's doing. Night and day difference between him and Jeff Long.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2018, 10:08:24 am
Regarding the "Slobbering Hog" thing, I think if you polled the entire fan base the consensus would be to stay with what we have and forget that anemic looking pig.  I sure hope he doesn't make that issue too high a priority.

Boy, you drunk.

HognotinMemphis

There should not be a coke vs pepsi issue. There should be no coke or pepsi at a sporting event anymore than there should be a lot of the other awful food served there. A 12 oz can of pepsi or any soda drink has 8 teaspoons of granulated white sugar in it. That is the total daily recommended max on sugar for a man. Less than that for a woman. If you observe the crowd at a football game, 3/4's of them look like a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen.

"For a 2,000-calorie diet, 5% would be 25 grams. Limit daily sugar to 6 tsps (25 g) for women, 9 tsps (38 g) for men. Yet, the average American consumes 19.5 teaspoons (82 grams) every day. That translates into about 66 pounds of added sugar consumed each year, per person."
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The NewEra

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 10:33:16 am
There should not be a coke vs pepsi issue. There should be no coke or pepsi at a sporting event anymore than there should be a lot of the other awful food served there. A 12 oz can of pepsi or any soda drink has 8 teaspoons of granulated white sugar in it. That is the total daily recommended max on sugar for a man. Less than that for a woman. If you observe the crowd at a football game, 3/4's of them look like a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen.

"For a 2,000-calorie diet, 5% would be 25 grams. Limit daily sugar to 6 tsps (25 g) for women, 9 tsps (38 g) for men. Yet, the average American consumes 19.5 teaspoons (82 grams) every day. That translates into about 66 pounds of added sugar consumed each year, per person."

There is a name for this and it's not called freedom of choice.

RME

Hysterical. Who the Frank is forcing people to buy soda?

To hell with me eating or drinking whatever I choose to consume.

HognotinMemphis

February 13, 2018, 10:43:47 am #11 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:54:42 am by HoginMemphis
Regarding the topic of buyout clause in a coach's contract, looking back now, I cannot believe Bielema took $12 million in a buyout. Because he did, I believe he does not want to coach again. This taints him in my view. He took the $ and ran. His entire 5 years at Arkansas was a train wreck and he knows it. He was paid for his services. Then he got another 2 1/2 years of income for being fired.

I know it was agreed to but no one knew that he would win only 11 SEC games in 5 years. It clearly was a combo of a lack of proper effort by Bielema and incompetency of Bielema. It was not contractually/legally wrong for Bielema to take a $12 million buyout, but it was ethically wrong.

Put it this way, if I am the AD at a P5 school and Bielema expresses interest, I am not even giving him an interview due to his taking a $12 million buyout after his historically bad 5 years at Arkansas. I am not an unreasonable person and I have to believe there are AD's out there who think and feel the same. It was Bielema's choice: take the $ like a pig or take some lesser and reasonable amount that is somewhat based on the sorry performance and effort he gave us. If he had taken another year's salary as a buyout, I would have respected him. As it is, I have zero respect for the man.

And think about his recruiting. Yeah, I know where each of his classes were ranked. So if you think his recruiting was good, then you have to agree and admit his coaching was beyond horrible. Almost to a point of negligence. Watch highlights from games in the Nutt era. We thought that was mediocre. Compared to Bielema's teams, Nutt's teams look like they were mostly top 10 quality. Nutt's teams had speed, had defense, had RB's and receivers and had DB's who could cover well and stay closer than 5 yards to a receiver they were covering. Other than 1 year, Bielema's defenses were human sieves. Worst in the history of Arkansas football his last 2 years.
No team speed anywhere. Receivers were mediocre, RB's were mediocre. DL was terrible all 5 years. O line pretty bad last 2 years. So where were all these recruits? Where was the speed, the effort, the ability? What a train wreck and colossal waste of time and money these past 6 years were.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Cotton

That you Huckabee?  I'm still mad you screwed up school lunches...

Sad thing is, you're right...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

steveaustin69

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 10:43:47 am
Regarding the topic of buyout clause in a coach's contract, looking back now, I cannot believe Bielema took $12 million in a buyout. Because he did, I believe he does not want to coach again. This taints him in my view. He took the $ and ran. His entire 5 years at Arkansas was a train wreck and he knows it. He was paid for his services. Then he got another 2 1/2 years of income for being fired.

I know it was agreed to but no one knew that he would win only 11 SEC games in 5 years. It clearly was a combo of a lack of proper effort by Bielema and incompetency of Bielema. It was not contractually/legally wrong for Bielema to take a $12 million buyout, but it was ethically wrong.

Put it this way, if I am the AD at a P5 school and Bielema expresses interest, I am not even giving him an interview due to his taking a $12 million buyout after his historically bad 5 years at Arkansas. I am not an unreasonable person and I have to believe there are AD's out there who think and feel the same. It was Bielema's choice: take the $ like a pig or take some lesser and reasonable amount that is somewhat based on the sorry performance and effort he gave us. If he had taken another year's salary as a buyout, I would have respected him. As it is, I have zero respect for the man.

And think about his recruiting. Yeah, it know where each of his classes were ranked. So if you think his recruiting was good, then you have to agree and admit his coaching was beyond horrible. Almost to a point of negligence. Watch highlights from games in the Nutt era. We thought that was mediocre. Compared to Bielema's teams, Nutt's teams look like they were mostly top 10 quality. Team had speed, had defense, had RB's and receivers and had DB's who could cover well and stay closer than 5 yards to a receiver they were covering. Other than 1 year, Bielema's defenses were human sieves. Worst in the history of Arkansas football his last 2 years.
No team speed anywhere. Receivers were mediocre, RB's were mediocre. DL was terrible all 5 years. O line pretty bad last 2 years. So where were all these recruits? Where was the speed, the effort, the ability? What a train wreck and colossal waste of time and money these past 6 years were.

Terrible take. Guy got what was owed; nothing ethically wrong with getting yours.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2018, 10:41:44 am
There is a name for this and it's not called freedom of choice.
Sugar tax it then. I don't want to pay for your heart attack treatment after you suck down 4 cokes during a football game.

RME

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 10:53:11 am
Sugar tax it then. I don't want to pay for your heart attack treatment after you suck down 4 cokes during a football game.

Didn't know Michelle Obama posted on Hogville. Welcome!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 13, 2018, 10:50:29 am
Terrible take. Guy got what was owed; nothing ethically wrong with getting yours.
There is if you are paid $4 million a year and make less than a good effort at job, get fired for doing a ** job, then take another $12 million from the program and its foundation.

steveaustin69

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 10:56:03 am
There is if you are paid $4 million a year and make less than a good effort at job, get fired for doing a ** job, then take another $12 million from the program and its foundation.

Wrong

steveaustin69

If you're 75 and posting on HV regularly I'd imagine your paying for others' heart attack treatment is probably behind you.

The NewEra

I'm a water guy.  I just don't think it's my place, or anyone else's for that matter, to tell others what to do with their life. 

Highlighted above is just a silly way to justify trying to control other people.  That's a false argument.

ricepig

Aren't you the one without health insurance?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Not gonna fall for this troll, but I bet you still wind up with a stringer full.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2018, 10:59:10 am
I'm a water guy.  I just don't think it's my place, or anyone else's for that matter, to tell others what to do with their life. 

Highlighted above is just a silly way to justify trying to control other people.  That's a false argument.
Like our gov't trying to give us a monetary penalty for not buying health insurance and subsidizing those who do not responsibly take care of themselves?

RME

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 11:39:50 am
Like our gov't trying to give us a monetary penalty for not buying health insurance and subsidizing those who do not responsibly take care of themselves?

Having a couple cokes at a football game = not responsibly taking care of oneself

razorbackfaninar

I don't think you understand what "ethical" means. There was a contract that both parties agreed to.  That contract had stipulations of what would happen if he got fired.  it's not unethical to expect party "A" to pay what they promised to pay Party "B" or for Party "B" to accept it.

colbs

I don't see anything wrong with him taking the money.  That was in his contract.  The ones to blame are the ones that but that much of a buyout in his contract.  He has to make attempts to get another job.  When he does the buyout will be reduced.

ChicoHog

Quote from: colbs on February 13, 2018, 11:55:41 am
I don't see anything wrong with him taking the money.  That was in his contract.  The ones to blame are the ones that but that much of a buyout in his contract.  He has to make attempts to get another job.  When he does the buyout will be reduced.
I bet he coaches again.  Illinois would be perfect for him if Lovie Smith continues to flounder.  Or KState as many have speculated.  If he would take a Group of five job he could probably be employed next season but I think he wants a Power 5 gig and will not settle for second tier.  No need to with the buyout he got. 
Or he could be so good on TV that he replaces Lee Corso on Gameday! 

Bash

I'm in total agreement.  Not to mention how bad burgers, hot dogs, potato chips and fries are for you.

Our concessions should only sell water, kale, broccoli, and bean sprouts.  All free range, of course.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

greenEGnHAWGS

I agree. Bring it back for special occassions but what we have is sharp and modern.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

twistitup

Beer is a better option for your health...lots of b vitamins.

Hy mention beer or the upper westside?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hobhog

He said his kids picked up on coke Pepsi and slobbering hog issue on social media. Hogville  is being watched....

SoonerBaHog

Oh Boy let's go to the Razorback game and have a water and an order of Kale!  ::)

Tusks

at least you can mix coke with bourbon.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Bash

Quote from: tusked on February 13, 2018, 01:26:36 pm
at least you can mix coke with bourbon.

Yeah, but man does it burn when you snort it.

Hoggin has a point.  I love sugar but I realize its killing me and I slowed waaaaaay down on it.  Americans just want what they want.  We bring 75 percent of all our ailments upon ourselves and then 75 percent of those folks fully expect the giver-ment to pay for it at the 5 times value pricing we pay for medical and prescription drugs in this Country.  We have a huge problem in this Country in that it is basically considered proper and right for some enity, somehow, to pick up the cost of my stupidity and thats across the board.  There is one thing that will never work, you cannot have the responsibility if you don't have the authority.   Yet nearly every thing we do in this so called Free Country is based on all the responsibility and no authority.

twistitup

Quote from: hobhog on February 13, 2018, 01:25:07 pm
He said his kids picked up on coke Pepsi and slobbering hog issue on social media. Hogville  is being watched....

Was Frito Pie brought up? IF the guy really wants to bring the fanbase together it's FP- serve it in EVERY concession stand.. We support Frito Pie and eat it in every corner of the state. From Fayetteville to Fordyce....Jonesboro to Jacksonville....From Clifty to Carlisle....Texarkana to Tontitown....Memphis to Madison County

If HY would do a speech like this but name off towns in AR....and tell them you will all be fed Frito Pie

Sho Nuff

I only drink Coke Zero and Diet DP.  Now I will await the deluge of posts warning me about holes in my brain and Alzheimer's disease.

Bash

Quote from: Sho Nuff on February 13, 2018, 02:16:45 pm
I only drink Coke Zero and Diet DP.  Now I will await the deluge of posts warning me about holes in my brain and Alzheimer's disease.

Nothing that a few essential oils can't fix.

Cotton

Quote from: Sho Nuff on February 13, 2018, 02:16:45 pm
I read a nutritionist's report the other day that it would take something like 28 cans a day to reach the level to cause any harm.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hoglady

Really???
If I want to drink a Coke - I will drink a Coke.
There is always water available for those who don't like Coke.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

Quote from: Bash on February 13, 2018, 01:30:02 pm
Yeah, but man does it burn when you snort it.

Snorting whiskey and drinking cocaine
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HogPharmer

Quote from: SoonerBaHog on February 13, 2018, 01:25:14 pm
Oh Boy let's go to the Razorback game and have a water and an order of Kale!  ::)

Nope. Kale, along with other cruciferous vegetables, increases production of Cytochrome P450 2E1 enzymes. Upregulation and production of excess 2E1 enzymes leads to an increased risk of cancer.... I'm not paying for your cancer treatments just because you wanna go wild and have a good time at a stupid football game.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I like how 90% of this thread is about sugary beverages.
Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 13, 2018, 10:43:47 am
Regarding the topic of buyout clause in a coach's contract, looking back now, I cannot believe Bielema took $12 million in a buyout. Because he did, I believe he does not want to coach again.

I think he has a contractual obligation to mitigate costs to the UA and seek out future employment as a coach.   Could be wrong, though. 

Bash

Quote from: HogPharmer on February 13, 2018, 03:20:06 pm
Nope. Kale, along with other cruciferous vegetables, increases production of Cytochrome P450 2E1 enzymes.

What my liver does is none of your business.  I'll eat all the cruciferous vegetables I want.

jkstock04

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 13, 2018, 10:50:29 am
What is your opinion of the Gary Anderson situation at Oregon State? Are himself and Bielema on the same level business ethics wise? Or is Gary Anderson just a complete moron (for not taking the $$) while Bielema has great business ethics?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/10/9/16450356/gary-andersen-oregon-state-resigned-head-coach

I can only speak for myself, but if I was to take on a contract and promise things verbally only to see my "efforts" fail in literal historic and terrible fashion, I absolutely would not hold my employers on the hook like that. Certainly not for the full amount while being compensated very healthily for the entire term.

Now, if I were pissed off and felt I had been done wrong by my employer? Absolutely, I would hold them 100% on the hook. Or...if I was emphatic with them upon said contract that I may very well fail in epic fashion and they were still insistent upon slanted or uneven terms in my favor? Ok, in that case I wouldn't feel bad about it either.

I suspect Bielema feels slighted and this was at least one reason why he went for the full amount. I did not watch or read his last words to the fans as I decided in the middle of the season, after a (losing) post game press conference that would be the last time I ever purposefully listened to anything he had to say. But, I read something on here that made mention about needing more time, and wishing those who made the decision could see what he was building or doing. Some crap like that.

So with that, maybe very well he felt like he was done wrong...therefore was going to take them for all he could on the way out. In the end I don't feel bad for those that have to pony up because (I'm assuming) they are the ones who agreed to those terms to begin with. These contracts seem extremely one sided to begin with in my opinion. The idea of failing at the rate Bielema did yet still reaping most of the benefits of succeeding is wild to me. In most professions, that is not the case.

It's crazy to me that they don't have winning/losing stipulations for coaches in these contracts. Sure, if said coach goes to a bowl game he gets a ***** dollar bonus. But what happens if he doesn't go to a bowl game? Nothing...he gets penalized 0 dollars off his contract (that I've ever seen). That's not too motivational. I'm not paying for it, but if I were I would be concerned about how slanted these contracts/buyouts are.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

sickboy

Quote from: Cotton on February 13, 2018, 02:57:56 pm
I read a nutritionist's report the other day that it would take something like 28 cans a day to reach the level to cause any harm.

Sorry, I don't buy that at all. I drink soda products from time to time and am certainly all for people having their fair share of choices with what they want to put in their body.

However, if you drink 28 cans a day of anything, even water, your body is going to have to work pretty hard, especially your kidneys, to process all that liquid. Drinking 28 (12 oz) cans of any soda is going to have adverse effects and cause harm to your body. I'm not saying you're going to forget how to tie your shoes, but your chances for cancers has to skyrocket.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 10:20:10 am
Agreed, It's really nice to once again have an AD who knows what he's doing. Night and day difference between him and Jeff Long.

Dude hasn't even been here 90 days and yet you are already anointing him. Amazing. Maybe he'll be great and maybe not. Way to early to tell.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 13, 2018, 06:20:43 pm
Dude hasn't even been here 90 days and yet you are already anointing him. Amazing. Maybe he'll be great and maybe not. Way to early to tell.

We don't need to crown him or the staff too quickly.....I agree.