Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"We will become a Model program for all others to follow"...

Started by checkraiser88, December 07, 2017, 01:24:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

I can't believe I was such hater of this man on the Coaching search board. This guy is the next generation!

TexasRazorback

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 07, 2017, 01:24:52 pm
I can't believe I was such hater of this man on the Coaching search board. This guy is the next generation!

glad to see you are a bigger man then most on HV and can admit when one was wrong +1's all day . I was never a Norvell guy, I wanted Venables but also really like Morris so i was happy. Maybe my dream will come true and we still get Venables in a AHC/DC role. I mean it is getting to look a lot like Christmas

bosshog84

Great post! I was a hater as well when I heard the hire. Never got past his 14-22 record at SMU. Now that I've watched highlights of SMU offense and heard the guy speak, I can tell 100% this guy is a winner. He is a big time competitor that is going to give it everything he has got not to fail here. We made a step in the right direction with this hire.

Mjs84

Exactly!  It's understandable to be knee jerk with reactions, I'm guilty of the same.  But it's been several days now, and some bone heads are still blaming "GOBN" and talking about "drinking koolaid".  I'm glad the board is coming around because this guy deserves our full welcome, especially in his early tenure.  I think he's a heck of a coach that will far exceed what Norvell could have put together here. 

bkjbearcat

I hope that's not coach speak for, "Doing things the right way." I thought the day of faux-integrity was over?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bosshog84 on December 07, 2017, 01:35:22 pm
Great post! I was a hater as well when I heard the hire. Never got past his 14-22 record at SMU. Now that I've watched highlights of SMU offense and heard the guy speak, I can tell 100% this guy is a winner. He is a big time competitor that is going to give it everything he has got not to fail here. We made a step in the right direction with this hire.

When I saw that his first year at SMU was 2-10 I was genuinely underwhelmed, until I noticed that he had improved to 7-5 with a bowl bid in his third year. Now that got my attention.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Locutus_of_Boar

Yup, it doesn't take a scientific rocket to see Chad is an uncommon caller of those plays brotha!

JONAS

I can't either.  After listening to him, I wish football season could start today.

AugustaHog

This is the first time that I have had hope in quite awhile.  I was not happy about the hire initially and forced myself to refrain from venting too much on here.  The last 6 years have truly sucked as a Hog fan.  Every time we would take a step forward, we'd get knocked 3 steps back.  I'm hopeful that trend is over and we can start to work toward being a team that nobody wants to deal with.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dropkick

I know Venables is 95% pipe dream. But wouldn't it be great to have him as AHC if Morris did so well he moved up another level. You might have a built in replacement. I know I'm dreaming.

Mick Hogger

I've cautiously warmed to him and I want the players to succeed and if they're buying in so will I   Go Hogs!
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

BroyledNutts

I said this on October 7th, 2017 ...
"Are there any high school teams left that run an I formation offense? Seems like this throw back offensive scheme would be totally foreign to kids today.

In my worthless opinion only, Arkansas' future is a spread type offense with a dual threat QB ... it's the future for all programs who can't recruit like Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, et al...the big 5 star mugs that are already NFL talent are going to those winning programs, and very few are opting for anywhere else. What's left in the recruiting talent pool are kids who most likely have run some sort of spread throughout junior and senior high, are somewhat smaller, but have speed and football IQ, and are very familiar with the schemes typical of spread offense theory ... and there's a ton of them to recruit. They don't, however, have any desire to play for a plodding, monotonous, blocking scheme offense that they've either never played themselves, nor played against with any regularity. Sure, the spread O may not beat the Bamas and Clemsons of the football world...but I'd trade every 300lb. goon on the team and a loss or two every year to the NFL minor leagues if it meant the real possibility of either winning the other 10, or at least losing by the outcome of a single play or two, not by being humiliated for half the game.

Defensive players are another beast entirely - most defensive kids out of high school seem to be familiar with the "bend, don't break" mentality that comes with playing on a team with a spread offense. Get just enough stops to make the difference. Most of those kids are somewhat smaller as well, but not always; what they do typically have is speed. Unfortunately, they seem more inclined to want to play for teams that have a fast paced, head hunter style defense that blitzes a lot, floods the run lanes, and plays bump and run man on the corners. The old standard stand around, run gap zone D is not what they're typically used to, and not what kids like to play.

Future coaches could have increased success at Arkansas if some of these non-traditional styles were considered...Bobby Petrino showed us just a tiny sliver of the offensive possibilities, he just neglected defensive recruiting in the process. Find a head coach that is talented enough to recruit both sides of the ball, or hire competent assistants to get the job done, and you might have something here. It may not win championships, but good lord it has to produce better than what we've experienced the last 5 years."

Well ... I got what I asked for ... I guess we'll see, won't we.

The NewEra

"We will become a Model program for all others to follow"..

^^^^^^

There may be more to this than any of use have caught onto yet.  I do believe, when you look at where he came from and who he has on his staff that CCM's program at Arkansas may be a factory for turning high performing high school coaches into the next generation of college coaches.  When I look at his staff I love the youth I'm seeing and how I think it will resonate with our players and college players in general.

When you think about how important it is to a college coach to recruit and the need for coaches to understand, appreciate and develop relationships with the H.S. coaches in order to be successful recruiting, it makes great sense. 

ipigsooie

I agree. I hated the thought of this hire. I also wanted Norvell as well. After the past few days I have warmed to Morris and he is part of the razorback family. We did well.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mjs84 on December 07, 2017, 02:06:20 pm
Exactly!  It's understandable to be knee jerk with reactions, I'm guilty of the same.  But it's been several days now, and some bone heads are still blaming "GOBN" and talking about "drinking koolaid".  I'm glad the board is coming around because this guy deserves our full welcome, especially in his early tenure.  I think he's a heck of a coach that will far exceed what Norvell could have put together here. 

Not really, and here's why...
Whenever you overreact to a situation you spark the next guy, who sparks two more guys, and so on, and so on... Then it takes 48 hours for the cooling off process to take hold and get to the meat of the subject. If you do it here, you do it at work. People need to reign it in and grow up.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 07, 2017, 03:10:04 pm
Not really, and here's why...
Whenever you overreact to a situation you spark the next guy, who sparks two more guys, and so on, and so on... Then it takes 48 hours for the cooling off process to take hold and get to the meat of the subject. If you do it here, you do it at work. People need to reign it in and grow up.

People get too worked up about everything in life. It is almost never as good or bad as you think it is upon first reaction.

NoogaHog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on December 07, 2017, 03:08:56 pm
I never hated the man, just had a different "pecking order" and liked Norvel.   I knew without a shadow of doubt we were not going to get Gus, just a gut feeling..... but strong.

But I'm cool with this.  Let's get the show on the road!

I am with you on most of this. I did not think we would get Gus, and was hoping like heck we didn't. Norvell was my #1, but it seemed clear early on that Morris was the guy, and I'm OK with that. Hammer down.

BTW, isn't Hammer Down much better than Vandy's Anchor Down? Anchor Down means you are done and not going anywhere. Just silly.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 07, 2017, 03:13:50 pm
People get too worked up about everything in life. It is almost never as good or bad as you think it is upon first reaction.

This... Our fanbase does seem to have a proclivity to mania and depression...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ATLHog

Yup I'm right there with you. Now I'm riding shotgun in the MORRIS MOBILE baby!

Breems

Boy, you guys are easy. 80% of Hogville just needed an introductory PC to do a complete 180 on the guy. :D

Seems like most folks are happy with the hire now which is good.  Like most new hires, CCM will get to start with a clean slate and a small honeymoon.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Coach Obvious

Quote from: TexasRazorback on December 07, 2017, 01:27:59 pm
glad to see you are a bigger man then most on HV and can admit when one was wrong +1's all day . I was never a Norvell guy, I wanted Venables but also really like Morris so i was happy. Maybe my dream will come true and we still get Venables in a AHC/DC role. I mean it is getting to look a lot like Christmas

I wanted Norvell over Gus, but had no objection to Morris. I think we will be very happy with this hire, perhaps even in the first year.

Gianthog

I am more than happy with the hire.  After reading about him and hearing his philosophy, he may not have been the splashy hire most on this board wanted, but i feel he is definitely the one to take us back to being competitive and playing for championships.  We will have to get the right kind of players to fit in his system, but it sounds like he will adjust to maximize the best personnel we have on the field while he brings in more speed.  I am excited and ready for some football!

Kneph13

Quote from: ATLHog on December 07, 2017, 03:29:44 pm
Yup I'm right there with you. Now I'm riding shotgun in the MORRIS MOBILE baby!

is that a '70 or '71?
There is no Political Correctness in war

urkillnmesmalls

HAHA....this thread is classic!  For those convinced he was a loser, and the worst hire in the history of Arkansas football, and you didn't even need to see a single game to already know that, one press conference later, and you're on the bandwagon. 

From the minute he was hired, you had zero control over the outcome anyway.  People went from not even needing to see a game, to thinking he's the next Vince Lombardi based on a press conference.  Only on Hogville. 

There's a reason for the saying that moderation is usually a good thing.  I'm thinking maybe we don't skewer him BEFORE he's even hired, or crown him before a single game, and see how it pans out with his recruiting and this first season.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Kneph13

Morris was #3 or #4 for me.  I still like Norvell however.   I to have warmed up to him and his energy and promise of great things.  I did not want Gus at all, and knew in my gut he would not come here.  I even threatened to find another team to back if they hired that opportunist.

Morris has given me a glimmer of hope and some butterflies in the stomach.  Let's see what happens.   Root Hog  #Hammerdown
There is no Political Correctness in war

Pig in the Pokey

i mean....he was my #5, but i never thought about it really.

I feel a lil foolish tbh. Dude is a grand slam hire...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 07, 2017, 04:16:35 pm
HAHA....this thread is classic!  For those convinced he was a loser, and the worst hire in the history of Arkansas football, and you didn't even need to see a single game to already know that, one press conference later, and you're on the bandwagon. 

From the minute he was hired, you had zero control over the outcome anyway.  People went from not even needing to see a game, to thinking he's the next Vince Lombardi based on a press conference.  Only on Hogville. 

There's a reason for the saying that moderation is usually a good thing.  I'm thinking maybe we don't skewer him BEFORE he's even hired, or crown him before a single game, and see how it pans out with his recruiting and this first season.   ;)
some of us researched the guy for many hours since tuesday.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

3of5-2

Coach talk only goes so far. Hype, excitement, tell us what we want to hear, Hammer down crap sayings, and yet hasn't won a single game, especially an SEC game against some team not named Ole Miss. I'm not giving another coach a free pass who needs 5 plus years to win 8 or 9 games. It will be a short honeymoon for CCM, and most of the flip floppers on here will jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Let the man get his staff in house, and get to work as soon as possible. The players should be starting today to change the culture of the past 5 or 6 years. No more slow, fat, out of shape slobs, that includes the staff all the way down to the trainers. If there is REAL change at the UofA, it will be obvious sooner than later.

Hawgphat

Watching his PC, I was impressed with his obvious enthusiasm and his apparent resolve to obtain rapid-fire results.  I'm looking forward to Spring Football to see the initial effect and complexion of the radical changes Morris alluded to in his first speech.

I can't help wondering how the current complement of Hog players are going to fit into his declared scheme, and how well he can mold them into adapting to his explicit requirements.  It will be- in some cases at least - a drastic change for some of our players.  Morris didn't recruit the players now on hand, - - and I can't help wondering how many of them will be able to conform to his style and be really productive in the manner he demands.

RockyMtnHog

Can our players practice any of his playbook now?  I know that the coaches cannot be involved until Spring Practice.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

hawgdavis

I was down on the hire but the more I watch and listen to this guy the more I think he was the right guy at the perfect time I am all in and stoked. Hell he made me want to put the pads back on.

Polar opposite of the former coach. He set the tone when he met the team right away as to who's the boss and how things are going to be done as well as what is expected if your going to be a football player at Arkansas.

hawgdavis

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 07, 2017, 05:49:26 pm
Can our players practice any of his playbook now?  I know that the coaches cannot be involved until Spring Practice.

Thus the inside practice facility. Why every big time program has them.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 07, 2017, 04:22:21 pm
some of us researched the guy for many hours since tuesday.

You mean the blowhards who were on here that kept posting 14-22, as if that told the ENTIRE story.   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Calling All Hogs

I admit I was turned off by the losing HC record. I was irritated that I kept hearing that Chad Morris "knocked his interviews out of the park". My thought was they darn well better have video taped those interviews and should release them to the public. But after hearing him speak and looking into him further including watching some SMU games on YouTube, I get it. He is a great hire and he has really hit the ground running. I am excited again about Hog football for the first time in years.

redeye

I defended Morris before we hired him, because I figured most would warm up to him quickly, but I never really had a favorite.  I've also had a suspicion all along that there's more to the Morris hire than we know, but we'll have to wait to see if that's true.  There's probably a good reason why JJ wanted him and I seriously doubt it's so his grandson would receive a scholarship.  If I may dream a little, Morris could be the coach who puts us on an even level with Oklahoma in NE Texas, along with a little help from JJ.

alohawg

I too admit to being in the haters club to some degree. Now........

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jvanhorn

Well I don't about that yet, but he damn sure is way more pleasant and fan friendly than the last coach.

jvanhorn

Well, I know how we hate to give credit to women in Arkansas, but I think we sure do owe more than a little to Peoples not only for her work on this but for her willingness to reach out and ask for advice, which I think she said pretty clearly she would be she would be getting advice from others, from Terry Don Phillips.

She took a lot of heat and hate and still got the job done under some really bad circumstances, but I notice not many bother to give her any credit, but she has earned my trust.  A job well done.  And thanks Terry Don.  If he is good enough for you, he is good enough for me.

Majortom

And here I was expecting him to say negative things.....

Cure

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 10, 2017, 01:19:01 am
Well I don't about that yet, but he damn sure is way more pleasant and fan friendly than the last coach.
I can't agree with this. CBB interacted with fans, was generally a pleasant guy and was one of the best coaches with social media.

I think the hype is just moving quickly because he said he's going to pop the clutch. He's certainly a very good coach and will get the Hogs going much quicker.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Cure on December 10, 2017, 01:50:32 am
I can't agree with this. CBB interacted with fans, was generally a pleasant guy and was one of the best coaches with social media.

I think the hype is just moving quickly because he said he's going to pop the clutch. He's certainly a very good coach and will get the Hogs going much quicker.

Yeah, well post a photo on here of him smiling..  Was he ever at a basketball or baseball game?  Can you ever imagine Morris throwing his players under the bus?

mhsbc59

You all are a bunch of lemmings following a pied Piper off a cliff
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Al Boarland

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 07, 2017, 04:34:04 pm
Coach talk only goes so far. Hype, excitement, tell us what we want to hear, Hammer down crap sayings, and yet hasn't won a single game, especially an SEC game against some team not named Ole Miss. I'm not giving another coach a free pass who needs 5 plus years to win 8 or 9 games. It will be a short honeymoon for CCM, and most of the flip floppers on here will jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Let the man get his staff in house, and get to work as soon as possible. The players should be starting today to change the culture of the past 5 or 6 years. No more slow, fat, out of shape slobs, that includes the staff all the way down to the trainers. If there is REAL change at the UofA, it will be obvious sooner than later.

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes. I can understand excitement about a new hire, but don't let the excitement build expectations that are most likely unattainable. Since joining the SEC even our best coaches are just barely over .500. Give the guy some time and understand what he is up against. All coaches talk about championships. Very few are in a position to win them.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Breems on December 07, 2017, 03:51:04 pm
Boy, you guys are easy. 80% of Hogville just needed an introductory PC to do a complete 180 on the guy. :D

Seems like most folks are happy with the hire now which is good.  Like most new hires, CCM will get to start with a clean slate and a small honeymoon.
Again, I think many are like me and what he has said or done since he was hired has not changed my opinion of him.  Me not being lazy and actually looking into what he has done at each stop has changed my opinion of him
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mhsbc59 on December 10, 2017, 02:14:30 am
You all are a bunch of lemmings following a pied Piper off a cliff

At least we are following someone positive about the Hogs and not jumping ship just because we don't like someone. You don't want to follow the guy but more importantly the TEAM then don't. Step aside and go away.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 10, 2017, 03:59:17 am
Again, I think many are like me and what he has said or done since he was hired has not changed my opinion of him.  Me not being lazy and actually looking into what he has done at each stop has changed my opinion of him
That's fine but there is definitely a big time homer faction pushing a loud agenda. It's like what I read what someone else said a few days ago "you guys would worship a head of lettuce as the Hogs head coach if that was what was introduced." This is true.

For me, Morris was was way down the list as far as who I think we should've hired...but at the end of the day Jeff Long and Bret Bielema aren't here anymore to continue sinking the program into the abyss so everything else is gravy. I've turned cautiously optimistic simply because I think we will have a team faster and in better shape, with a philosophy better suited for our program to win more games vs whatever the hell Bielema was doing. Also I'm interested to see if his recruiting can change our (to now) permanent conference cellar dweller status. A lot of hype there and I'm in wait and see mode to see if any of it is true. "Texas high school coaching legend"

This guy will have a lot shorter of a leash than Bielema did. He will get 2 years max to win 8 or more games or the fans will revolt, and you will see an ending attendance wise like this year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dark Helmet Hog

It's impossible not to like this guy after hearing what he has to say.

Hoggish1

I wasn't all in before the hire, but that's because I didn't really know about him.  Regardless, there was not going to be anything I could have done about the hire of any coach we were getting.

Now that I think he can get the job done on the O side of the ball, he better get that 'best DC' he mentioned.  We can all accept what he's going to do on the O side of the ball if we can stop the other team—because I do not enjoy watching the type game USF and Memphis played.

I want a high scoring O and a strong D that attacks with judicious blitzes and lock down corners. 

Whatever the D actually turns out to be, it is clear they will be in shape!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 07, 2017, 04:21:23 pm
i mean....he was my #5, but i never thought about it really.

I feel a lil foolish tbh. Dude is a grand slam hire...

He wasn't on my wish list either.  And if he wasn't mentioned here, I never thought about him.

I do remember PRJ, believe it was him, responded to a question from a poster early in the search process with the message "think Dallas."

When there's "doings" on the Hill that require money, I always think of Jerry sooner or later.

If the Highland Park QB shows up this fall with a scholarship, that would be priceless.