Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 22, 2017, 09:27:58 am
Who is this Scanlon fellow?
You must be rather young. Not trying to be mean. Just saying.

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am
Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainor or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is that Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

That's all I've got for now. 

Porkatarian out...

Great stuff....Thanks
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

HotlantaHog

Quote from: bville_hog on November 22, 2017, 10:22:21 am
Isn't making Leach coach of the razorbacks a little like electing Trump President?

Yeah, both have some qualifications they are really good at, but I think the appeal of both is more the "reality TV" aspect.  You are just waiting for them to do something off-the-wall crazy to create interesting news and hoping like heck they don't press the nuke button!
Leach is a great offensive mind and his communications skills are a plus not a minus -- it probably helps him recruit, at least at the margin, and coach up college kids as well.

Nothing I have seen him do is disqualifying -- the worst accusation was the dumb thing with the TV commentator's son, which seemed ridiculous....

He reminds me a little of Steve Spurrier -- a colorful character but a winner.

ChicoHog

November 22, 2017, 11:04:49 am #53 Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:23:22 pm by ChicoHog
I posted it in other threads but I will do it again.  Leach is a poor recruiter.  You guys want a "does more with less" guy and he does that in the Pac 12 north.  he will not be able to do that in the SEC west.  We need someone who can recruit us to at least middle of the pack in the SEC.  We will drop from 9th or 10th in recruiting to 14th with leach as coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  I like the guy off the field but on the field he is not a good fit.  he needs to stay in league with mediocre recruiting so his less than average talent can compete.  no one in the Pac 12 recruits at a level like the SEC with the exception of USC (although Taggert is doing well at Oregon for the 2018 class).  The SEC is a line of scrimmage league and Leach does not recruit future NFL lineman.

Steve Spurrier and Rick Neuheisel were talking yesterday on ESPNU radio and they said Florida needs to hire a coach who can recruit to get the talent level back to where it was when they were good. It's not about the X'x and O's.  It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.   Of course it's much easier at UF than at Fayetteville.  We need an ace recruiter as number one priority.  Venables is my first choice but Malzahn or Norvell are ok. 

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: hogginbama on November 22, 2017, 10:56:42 am
One who is thought to be dirty due to his association with Auburn, used kids to get his break then bailed on them when he didn't get his way. Another who will be grateful for his chance at the big time and will do exactly what the money guys say and the last that is bat-darn crazy. Looks like the PTBs were tired of not having control during the absence of the GOBN so they are taking over in full force. Seems like the money in LR is winning out after being slighted with all of the GSD stuff and have made the power play. While the vocal majority on the message boards are all in agreement with them, I wonder about the entire fan base. It is easy to say "everyone I talk to is for the changes", yet you are talking to folks who are in your circle that probably have the same opinions as you do on just about everything.

smh

signed ,

Chicken Little
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MTBrookHog

Pork,

If Auburn upsets Bama Saturday, do we put a time limit on Gus to make his decision?

hoglady

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 22, 2017, 11:04:49 am
I posted it in other threads but I will do it again.  Leach is a poor recruiter.  You guys want a "does more with less" guy and he does that in the Pac 12 north.  he will not be able to do that in the SEC west.  We need someone who can recruit us to at least middle of the pack in the SEC.  We will drop from 9th or 10th in recruiting to 14th with leach as coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  I like the guy off the field but on the field he is not a good fit.  he needs to stay in league with mediocre recruiting so his less than average talent can compete.  no one in the Pac 12 recruits at a level like the SEC with the exception of USC (although Taggert is doing well at Oregon for the 2018 class). 
Steve Spurrier and Rick Neuheisel were talking yesterday on ESPNU radio and they said Florida needs to hire a coach who can recruit to get the talent level back to where it was when they were good. It's not about the X'x and O's.  It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.   Of course it's much easier at UF than at Fayetteville.  We need an ace recruiter as number one priority.  Venables is my first choice but Malzahn or Norvell are ok. 

If we're going with a coordinator - Venables should be the guy.
But I'm still in Leach's corner.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WilsonHog

Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 22, 2017, 11:09:58 am
Pork,

If Auburn upsets Bama Saturday, do we put a time limit on Gus to make his decision?

I don't see that we would need to. Both Auburn and Memphis would be playing in their respective conference championship games on December 2. Now if the Tigers beat Georgia in the SECCG, we might have an obstacle.

hoghearted

Guess I will be pulling for Auburn in the IB
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dark Helmet Hog

Anyone on the list is an upgrade from our current situation. Thanks Pork. I always appreciate the posts.

Mr Jade

Quote from: elksnort on November 22, 2017, 10:59:51 am
You must be rather young. Not trying to be mean. Just saying.

I'm not offended, it's true. Sub-30.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Atlhogfan1

Gus wants the job for self preservation and home.

MN because of adopted home.

Leach because the program intrigues him when he thinks what he could do.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 11:14:08 am
I don't see that we would need to. Both Auburn and Memphis would be playing in their respective conference championship games on December 2. Now if the Tigers beat Georgia in the SECCG, we might have an obstacle.

That's how I see it. As long as Auburn isn't in the CFP, I think we have every opportunity to bring Gus home. The CFP changes everything though.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

DenaoStyle

1. Leach
2. Malzahn
3. Norvell

Surprised so many people doubt Leach's coaching ability.  Mike Leach checks all the boxes.  He took over a Wazzu program that was coming off a 9-40 record over a four year stretch.  Year 2 he had them in a bowl game.  Year four he won nine games.  Year six he's 9-2 heading into the Washington game...if he wins, he claims the division title and moves to the Pac 12 championship. 

While far from a power running team, Leach's offense can and does run the football.  And it seems as though his defenses have improved over the years...it's hard to go 9-2 with a bad defense in a P5 conference.

Leach would be as good as Petrino at Arkansas, IMO.  I really hope we hire him.

Atlhogfan1

Coaches who want to come home for dream job don't excite me.  From experience they are way too comfortable and not motivated till they feel they might not be completely secure.  Get just good enough. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kneph13

Drop Gus from the list.  I don't want him and I'm sure I am not alone in that sentiment.  Sick and tired of seeing his name.  People act like he would be the second coming of Frank Broyles or some such nonsense.  I wan't that big on Frank either after some of the things he did.  We need a new fresh face.

I hope the Gus Bus throws a rod and has 4 flat tires.
There is no Political Correctness in war

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 22, 2017, 11:26:41 am
Coaches who want to come home for dream job don't excite me.  From experience they are way too comfortable and not motivated till they feel they might not be completely secure.  Get just good enough. 

Well we have 2 that it's supposedly their dream job, but when you look at both it's 2 very different situations.

MN:  You are getting a young hungry coach that wants to move up to P5 and Arkansas is supposedly his dream job so when he has a list of P5's to choose from being his dream job helps landing him.  He's also young enough where he wants to make major coin for several years and see how high he can take a team.

GM:  You are getting an established P5 head coach that could be looking for security and less headaches.  It's a lateral move in terms of profession.  So is he coming home to wreck the SEC or is he escaping AU headaches for a more comfortable lifestyle and QoL?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Hawg Marshal

hoghearted

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 22, 2017, 11:26:41 am

Exactly how I feel about it. Sounds like he is looking to get away from pressure. Does he think we won't have expectations to win here? Guess he figures if we held on to BB for five years, he would be safe for at least that amount of time, with low expectations.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 11:33:11 am
Well we have 2 that it's supposedly their dream job, but when you look at both it's 2 very different situations.

MN:  You are getting a young hungry coach that wants to move up to P5 and Arkansas is supposedly his dream job so when he has a list of P5's to choose from being his dream job helps landing him.  He's also young enough where he wants to make major coin for several years and see how high he can take a team.

GM:  You are getting an established P5 head coach that could be looking for security and less headaches.  It's a lateral move in terms of profession.  So is he coming home to wreck the SEC or is he escaping AU headaches for a more comfortable lifestyle and QoL?

Bingo

Tony Perkis

Quote from: hoghearted on November 22, 2017, 11:45:12 am
Exactly how I feel about it. Sounds like he is looking to get away from pressure. Does he think we won't have expectations to win here? Guess he figures if we held on to BB for five years, he would be safe for at least that amount of time, with low expectations.
I'm okay with a proven coach coming home...

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 10:21:21 am
If it's any of these three, we're not going to get away from fans misspelling our coach's name 8/10 times. Disappointing.

The last one that was easy to spell was John L. Smith...sure you want to go that direction?

Bacon out...

hoghearted

Holy Toledo, it's whatssakinbacon......where have you been?

lakecityhog

How is Auburn in the playoffs a "problem" for us? In reality it is a HUGE BONUS for us if Gus truly wants our job. Give Gus until the 4th of December to sign his contract and then the ball is in Auburn's court. Allow Gus to coach the playoffs and he can send an assistant to work with Lunney to keep the current commits and finish out the class.
We can use that as a recruiting tool, hey, your new coach is currently in the playoffs! That in itself should boost our final few spots.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hoghearted on November 22, 2017, 11:49:16 am
Holy Toledo, it's whatssakinbacon......where have you been?

Trolling Vanderbilt boards.

Bacon out...

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 10:05:48 am
If Gus is chosen, I will back him.  However, his so-so results with top ten talent frighten the Hell out of me.  Now, maybe that was his learning curve and he's ready to take off.  However, I'm way more in favor of Norvell or even Leach.  I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in the Gus basket.  Fortunately, the other two are busy with successful seasons anyway.
Exactly on Gus.

I am a big fan of Leach......... at TT or WSU or some other schools i don't care about not Arkansas.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Will an air raid offense work in the SEC? I would like a more balanced approach. Honestly I don't remember what kind of running game Leach puts on the field. A CBP like o where you sling it all over the field but also run it would be nice. Brohm.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 11:33:11 am

Gus is running from the pressure and wanting $1.5M to do it, and people are saying it's a homecoming, that's nonsense.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 22, 2017, 11:48:25 am
The last one that was easy to spell was John L. Smith...sure you want to go that direction?

Bacon out...
Houston Nut
Jon L. Smith
Brett Beilema
Guss Mahlzahn, Mike Norwhal, or Mike Leech

HogNTX

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:47:01 am
FWIW, Charlie Strong has let it be known he would be interested in the job.  I'm hearing for whatever reason, that we're not interested in Charlie.

Porkatarian out...

Hmmmmm... would be awesome if he would consider a DC position on a Malzahn/Norvell staff.

PLHawg

My concern with Gus is this:  If it doesn't work out we're married to him for a good long time, and will cost us a LOT of $ to get out of it.

moses_007

Think Mike Leach applied too late.  There are two preferred coaches ahead of him.  He may not be anywhere on the list.

Strong flat flunked out at Texas.  He is slightly better than Bielema, but not by much.

ipigsooie

Quote from: PLHawg on November 22, 2017, 12:09:09 pm
My concern with Gus is this:  If it doesn't work out we're married to him for a good long time, and will cost us a LOT of $ to get out of it.

You think people were mad about the buyout that Bielema got, wait and see Gus's. It'll be well above 20 mill which is the market for coaches making 6 mill. Maybe closer to 30 than 20

farmhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 22, 2017, 11:19:25 am
Gus wants the job for self preservation and home.

MN because of adopted home.

Leach because the program intrigues him when he thinks what he could do.
This, I like the leach angle.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 22, 2017, 09:27:58 am
Who is this Scanlon fellow?

In 1978 Lou Holtz was looking for a future starting quarterback he wouldn't have to drag around by the facemask to make a coaching point.  Scanlon was the guy.  The loser in that competition took off for Okie Light but like a bad penney he turns up from time to time.

BR

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 10:25:14 am
A thread by a Mod claimed that the decision on AD has already been made and even suggested that the announcement might be last Monday.  It wasn't on Monday, but he didn't promise it would be Monday.  You claim that "if Scanlon turns it down" it could be others.  Ok. So is the Mod completely wrong?  No deal done just waiting for announcement? Or is it still if Scanlon turns it down?  I can't see how both threads could be right even though many HV residents are lining up behind these threads. Just want someone to call which one is really telling it and which one is BS.
OMG you accused a MOD on Hogville of Being wrong.........    May the Lord have pity on your soul.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 12:11:42 pm
Think Mike Leach applied too late.  There are two preferred coaches ahead of him.  He may not be anywhere on the list.

Strong flat flunked out at Texas.  He is slightly better than Bielema, but not by much.
What's your source on your statement that Leach APPLIED to late.....
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:44:08 am
I suspect we will know more after the Bama vs Auburn game.

Porkatarian out...

If Auburn's loses and CBB fired Friday or Saturday we could know Monday? I assume if Gus wins we'll wait till after Dec 2nd. Cause Auburn and Memphis would be in Title games.

moses_007

Quote from: BR on November 22, 2017, 12:21:43 pm
  What's your source on your statement that Leach APPLIED to late.....
No source, but this is the very first time we've learned that Leach wanted our job.  There are a few posters here that want him, but this is the first tidbit about him being interested.

HF#1

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 22, 2017, 12:28:00 pm
If Auburn’s loses and CBB fired Friday or Saturday we could know Monday? I assume if Gus wins we’ll wait till after Dec 2nd. Cause Auburn and Memphis would be in Title games.

It's my understanding Gus will have his offer Monday morning. Some think he already has it but I'm not sure about that.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

moses_007

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 22, 2017, 12:28:00 pm
If Auburn's loses and CBB fired Friday or Saturday we could know Monday? I assume if Gus wins we'll wait till after Dec 2nd. Cause Auburn and Memphis would be in Title games.
Winner of the Iron Bowl might have no effect on when Gus comes.  I think he will be announced a couple days after that game, regardless if he wins it or not.  He wants outa Dodge, and ASAP.

playamade76

Y'all are not ready for Mike Leach in NW Arkansas.

Hawg Life

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 12:30:58 pm
Winner of the Iron Bowl might have no effect on when Gus comes.  I think he will be announced a couple days after that game, regardless if he wins it or not.  He wants outa Dodge, and ASAP.

Running from expectations and complaining about pressure while making $5M there and wanting $6.5 M here. Insanity!!! If he wins he doesn't come.. War F"N 🦅 Eagle!!!

Porkatarian

LOTS of Tuberville smoke right now.  Trying to determine if it's a smoke screen or legit.

Make no mistake about it.  The BOT is running the show.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

SwineOnUCrazyDiamond

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am
Looks like Scanlon will be our next AD.  If he does turn it down, the PTB will choose between Trainor or Varady. 

On to football. It's still Gus' job to turn down.  Norvell is the clear #2 at this point.   The wild card is that Mike Leach has some pretty influential people behind him and they are letting it known that he wants the job.

That's all I've got for now. 

Porkatarian out...

Is Petrino an option at all? Seen that Auburn will go after him if they lose Gus. I'd be happy with Gus or Petrino.

HF#1

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 12:41:27 pm
LOTS of Tuberville smoke right now.  Trying to determine if it's a smoke screen or legit.

Porkatarian out...

How much input does the Chancellor/Boosters have, who has final say? It was my impression that the BOT wasn't running the show, entirely.

rljjr

The only thing Mike Leach has ever one is a press conference. Take a look at his defense. He doesn't play any! We are going to be a far worse position if we hire this joker.

Breems

Quote from: hoghearted on November 22, 2017, 11:15:14 am
Guess I will be pulling for Auburn in the IB

Those who don't want Gus are in a weird situation.

Either he loses and comes to Arkansas, or he wins and (potentially) goes on to the playoffs in which case we miss out on a coach that has played for a championship and in the playoffs.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ArkansasI

Why in the world would Arkansas do a single favor for Tommy Tubberville?  I find it hard to believe the BOT would go so amateur.

Tweeter

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 12:41:27 pm

Porkatarian out...

Cant' see it being Tubberville.......If they really want Gus i don't see Gus and Tubby getting along.