Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Championship Pedigrees

Started by WilsonHog, November 26, 2017, 08:01:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I thought FANONTHEHILL made a great point a couple of days ago about assistant coaches with championships on their resumes knowing about how to shape that culture. We have two coaches on what appears to be our short list who have that.

Brent Venables was the Co-DC and linebackers coach at Oklahoma when the Sooners won the national title in 2000, and he was the DC and linebackers coach when Clemson won it last year. I like the fact that he has worked for two of the best coaches in the business, Bob Stoops and Dabo Swinney, for a combined 18 years.

(One thing to keep in mind is that his son, Jake Venables, a 6-2, 220-lb. linebacker, has committed to play at Clemson next year. How strong is that tie for either of them?)

Lane Kiffin was Alabama's OC when the Tide won the title in 2016.

Both are known to be accomplished recruiters. One has a great defensive mind, the other a great offensive mind. Kiffin fits JCP's stated criteria of a coach with SEC experience (one at Tennessee and three at Alabama). Venables has no SEC experience.

Venables has won the Broyles Award; Kiffin was a finalist for it.

Could Kiffin get a top-flight DC to come to Arkansas? If Venables gets the job, what kind of offensive philosophy would he have? Most defensive gurus aren't enamored with a system that keeps their defense on the field an inordinate amount of time.

Which coach would be a better fit in Arkansas?

Which coach could win the quickest?

TebowHater

Kiffin would win the quickest for sure. He would also be the quickest to cause demise (if either were to, which of course is not guaranteed either would).

Venables is the safer hire from a personal standpoint. Kiffin would be a gamble and require a babysitter but make us good immediately.

I think Venables ceiling is higher in that he could, over time, build a defense capable of winning a title, which honestly I just don't think would ever happen with Kiffin. That said, I think you could count on Kiffin for 7-9 wins a year immediately, and I am not sure I could say the same for Venables.

Venables has better connections in East Texas, a critical recruiting ground for us, from his OU recruiting and thus is probably a better fit from a recruiting perspective. That said, it is harder to recruit good D players to Ark than O players, and if I am an O player I would rather play for Kiffin.

Tough to pick.

As an aside, Venables has played for 5 NCs. He is also 5-0 against the SEC the past two years, including beating Gus x2 and Saban x1. Has never had a losing season in 21 years of coaching. And has won 10+ games 17 of 21 years coaching.

Hugo Bezdek

Kiffin would be a great choice if he wasn't a ticking bomb. Worked for both Nick Saban and Pete Carroll. I just don't trust him not to burn anything he builds here all to the ground.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jst01

Either have big upside. I lean to the best recruiter and I'm not sure who that would be.

deedster84

I bet Venable's son could de-commit as fast as he committed.

razorhog52

Venables has been at three places since his Junior year in college. I like that. It means to me he could stay for the long haul to build something special should he work out. Kiffin would jump ship first chance he gets. If it's down to those two I choose Venebles.

jrulz83

I like Venables, but I think Kiffin is a better fit here.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2017, 08:49:45 pm
Venables has been at three places since his Junior year in college. I like that. It means to me he could stay for the long haul to build something special should he work out. Kiffin would jump ship first chance he gets. If it's down to those two I choose Venebles.

Good point. Venables is definitely not a job-hopper. His resume communicates stability.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jst01 on November 26, 2017, 08:45:13 pm
Either have big upside. I lean to the best recruiter and I'm not sure who that would be.

Venables is an elite recruiter.

From the following article.

Venables was credited for landing five-star linebacker Rahshaun Smith, four-star defensive end Xavier Kelly, four-star defensive back Trayvon Mullen (to some a Signing Day surprise), three-star defensive back Isaiah Simmons and he was helpful on five-star LB Tre Lamar and five-star DT Dexter Lawrence, the second-best prospect in the 2016 class.

"He's a super high-energy guy, always up and always positive," Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell said.

"He's a very, very friendly, affable, approachable person and that's why he's had so much success recruiting not only at Clemson but at Oklahoma before that and why he's going to be such a great head coaching candidate. The guy loves recruiting and he is just a people person. Whoever gets him as a head coach will be getting a guy who can definitely compete on a recruiting level."

(the link may be slow to load)

https://n.rivals.com/news/venables-named-rivals-recruiter-of-the-year

Some other players Venables has recruited and landed (either solo recruited or helped recruited).

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/demontre-hurst-29550

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2010/corey-nelson-15367

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2007/jamell-fleming-22370

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2012/eric-striker-10157  Doesn't show Venables, but he recruited and landed Striker

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/ronnell-lewis-30878

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2006/demarco-murray-11977

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 26, 2017, 08:56:36 pm
Good point. Venables is definitely not a job-hopper. His resume communicates stability.

To me it looks like Venables has all the upside of Kiffin and none of the baggage. And if we get Gus, he'll be a great coach, but I don't think he's leaving Auburn at this point. Our best chance of climbing to the top is to hire a guy who's had success knocking off the guys there now. Venables is a coach I can see delivering long-term success for the Razorbacks.

root_hawg

Yeah where was Venables recruiting those kids to... places with MUCH better pedigree

razorhog52

10 years ago Arkansas and Clemson were mentioned in The same breath. Not now.

onebadrubi

Yeah u would need to give Venables 4-5 years guaranteed where you most likely would t expect kiffin here in 4-5. 

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2017, 10:33:06 pm
10 years ago Arkansas and Clemson were mentioned in The same breath. Not now.

Agreed. Not much difference between the two programs until Clemson's recent success, which is due in part to Venables taking over their defense.

MuskogeeHogFan

November 27, 2017, 05:39:33 am #15 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:59:33 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 26, 2017, 08:01:37 pm
I thought FANONTHEHILL made a great point a couple of days ago about assistant coaches with championships on their resumes knowing about how to shape that culture. We have two coaches on what appears to be our short list who have that.

Brent Venables was the Co-DC and linebackers coach at Oklahoma when the Sooners won the national title in 2000, and he was the DC and linebackers coach when Clemson won it last year. I like the fact that he has worked for two of the best coaches in the business, Bob Stoops and Dabo Swinney, for a combined 18 years.

(One thing to keep in mind is that his son, Jake Venables, a 6-2, 220-lb. linebacker, has committed to play at Clemson next year. How strong is that tie for either of them?)

Both are known to be accomplished recruiters. One has a great defensive mind, the other a great offensive mind. Kiffin fits JCP's stated criteria of a coach with SEC experience (one at Tennessee and three at Alabama). Venables has no SEC experience.

Could Kiffin get a top-flight DC to come to Arkansas? If Venables gets the job, what kind of offensive philosophy would he have? Most defensive gurus aren't enamored with a system that keeps their defense on the field an inordinate amount of time.

I think that having successful experience in a championship environment and knowing how to recreate that atmosphere in a different program is a huge asset.

The question I have is, which one of these two coaches have walked into a P-5 program with average recruiting rankings around #25 and turned that program into a championship team?
Go Hogs Go!

Hugo Bezdek

Adding to the Pedigree discussion, with Jimbo Fisher moving to A&M, Clemson is 3-3 against FSU in Venables time there. They've won 3 in a row against a team that owns the series 20-11.

jkstock04

A lot of love for Venables, but I don't see us hiring a defensive coordinator as our head coach. When Bielema was hired the mantra and noise was all about his "coaching pedigree" and defensive mindset. We see how that worked out. I can't imagine a defensive coordinator wanting anything other than pro style/smash mouth offense. Simply put that's not going to work here.

For us to maximize wins we need a coach that is predicated on innovative offensive schemes. It's going to be much easier for Arkansas to recruit offensive skill  players vs defensive...high school football these days (from my perspective) isn't that much about defense any more. That's why it's so much harder to get high end defensive guys...there just arent many out there. Talented kids want to play offense.

I don't see Venables as the path to Arkansas maximizing success, though I'm sure he would be better than the Bielema train wreck.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Oklahawg

What Venables does bring to the table is being a defensive guy. Which is easier to find - a DC who can lock down SEC offenses, or an OC who can score points?

I think there are plenty of OC's out there who would give UA a shot. It certainly is where our talent and our recruiting base is best capable of succeeding. The DC/HC connection means the HC (Venables, in our hypothetical) would be able to recruit that side of the ball well.

I don't think it is fair to use CBB as a discussion point, good or bad.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HF#1

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2017, 11:18:37 am
What Venables does bring to the table is being a defensive guy. Which is easier to find - a DC who can lock down SEC offenses, or an OC who can score points?

I think there are plenty of OC's out there who would give UA a shot. It certainly is where our talent and our recruiting base is best capable of succeeding. The DC/HC connection means the HC (Venables, in our hypothetical) would be able to recruit that side of the ball well.

Honestly, I think if you hire Venables, you keep Enos, Smith, and Lunney. Go find a good/great O-line coach and then fill the other spots.

I think Enos is a good play caller when allowed to be and has the offensive line right.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 27, 2017, 05:05:12 am
Agreed. Not much difference between the two programs until Clemson's recent success, which is due in part to Venables taking over their defense.

And in part due to Chad Morris running their offense.  Why is he not getting more discussion?   He also has actual head coaching experience.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 27, 2017, 12:11:04 pm
And in part due to Chad Morris running their offense.  Why is he not getting more discussion?   He also has actual head coaching experience.

He checks a lot of boxes,  but I think the jury is still out. SMU is winning more than they have in a long time, but he's lost head-to-head against Frost and Norvell this year. I think if SMU wins 10 next year he'll get a shot somewhere.  Still could this year.

Rudy Baylor

my head says Venables

my heart says Lane

I'll be elated with either one of them

Rudy Baylor

Venables would run a variable one back set system ("spread"), with option capability. Would want as much of duel threat QB's as could possibly be found.

tusksincolorado

Only Venables  no comparison....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 27, 2017, 05:39:33 am
I think that having successful experience in a championship environment and knowing how to recreate that atmosphere in a different program is a huge asset.

The question I have is, which one of these two coaches have walked into a P-5 program with average recruiting rankings around #25 and turned that program into a championship team?
There are lots of coaches that have coached under say Nick Saban and they have not all gained knowledge that you can't get elsewhere. Yes Kirby Smart looks like a success story.  And Jimbo Fischer. What about Jim McElwain? Not a big hit at UF. Will Muschamp? Failed at UF, not doing bad at SC. Derek Dooley? Not the biggest hit at UT.

Reminds me the fascination with the Bowden tree at one time -- in time, we got Tommy and Terry didn't exactly have the ability to replicate what their Dad was doing.

I'm a little wary of hiring coordinators without the AD doing serious due diligence -- you can end up with a coordinator (like essentially all of them working for Petrino) that executed orders from a very micromanaging coach...

porkrindjimmy

Lane Kiffin...he is the guy who will get us where we want to be.

They need not let this opportunity slip away.

PRJ

Oklahawg

Quote from: HF#1 on November 27, 2017, 11:22:45 am
Honestly, I think if you hire Venables, you keep Enos, Smith, and Lunney. Go find a good/great O-line coach and then fill the other spots.

I think Enos is a good play caller when allowed to be and has the offensive line right.

I won't argue, but I think that is probably a large retention. Lunney, sure, he's the recruiting coordinator. Smith? OK, he's the top recruiter in a prime area for UA. Enos? Makes sense you keep a good OC. All three? That seems a bit much by at least one.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2017, 05:03:47 pm
I won't argue, but I think that is probably a large retention. Lunney, sure, he's the recruiting coordinator. Smith? OK, he's the top recruiter in a prime area for UA. Enos? Makes sense you keep a good OC. All three? That seems a bit much by at least one.

Smith and Venables coached together at KState, plus as you say he's a top recruiter, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stayed. Lunney or some other former Hog would seem likely.

TebowHater

Can we please just hire Venables. He is the best coach available. His credentials are insane. Coached in 5 NCs under multiple coaches--none of whom ever went to a NC without him--and has never had a losing season in 21 years of coaching! Consistent top 10 defense. Consistent top 10 recruiter. Sign me up

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 27, 2017, 05:05:12 am
And Swinney's commitment to recruiting which also includes hiring Venables.  The talent level there is so much better than it was even 5 years ago because their staff are elite recruiters, led by Swinney. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2017, 11:18:37 am

This is why I would rather see Venables get the job...I would bet he could get a top flight (OC) to come here and be successful. That being said, defense wins championships.

Plus LK as USC  head coach was too weak, he did do much of anything at Tennessee. Now LK as the OC here would be something I can get on board with...

Imagine those two as HC and OC.

Great point Okla.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8