Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The new AD will be...

Started by markaroni, November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: hawgon on November 22, 2017, 07:49:09 am
If it is Scanlon, here are a few things I know.  It isn't about career advancement.  He already has a nice career.  It isn't about money.  He'll be taking a pay cut.  It isn't about notoriety.  Nothing he has ever done suggests that he wants that.  It isn't about being a pawn for some GOBN.  He already has made what they call "frick you" money.  He'll not be taking orders from anyone just because he wants or needs a job and/or the money.

If he takes the job, it is because he loves the Hogs and thinks he can help. 
All of this.  He doesn't need/want the job for any reason other than he wants the hogs to win.  He can't be bought.  I'm excited.
WPS!!!

Darren DeLoach

Hope it all works out. Changes were inevitable, and maybe the program can turn the corner, and be relevant again.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

jgphillips3

Kevin Scanlon is an amazing choice.  Football player...check.  Former Razorback...check.  Former Razorback in our glory days...check.  Business man...check.  Connected to DEEP money...check.  Former sports agent...check.  Arkansas Guy, but with larger world experience...check.  He'll have a massive staff thanks to Jeff Long basically tripling it.  From people I know that know him, he's a pretty good guy too.  Seems to me he is everything Jeff Long was that was good but he also is all the things Jeff Long wasn't.  Instant, immediate upgrade if true.

hawgon

Quit worrying about the money.  This program will make money with mentally challenged monkey in charge.  The only way this program could get in financial trouble would be if it took on a huge amount of debt while allowing attendance and donations to fall because of poor performance on the field...oh wait...

Maybe the AD just needs to take care of first things first instead of feverishly trying to squeeze out a few more hundred thousand dollars from a new concessions contract or some such crap. 

TebowHater

If it is Scanlon, fantastic. If it is Varady, great.

If it is literally anyone else (TT, HDN, etc.), so help us God.

oldhawg

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 02:30:22 am
No one is suggesting he's successful.  But, BB, whom all of you hate, was extremely successful at Wisconsin.

This is a horrible decision.  Just the GOBN taking over and making Arkansas look like the backwards institution everyone says it is.  Humiliating!

Name for me one major university in the entire country whose athletic department is not influenced by a GOBN. (There are none).  Even Jeff Long was influenced by a GOBN or he would not have been fired.  Uber rich people who like athletics and have favor for a particular university are going to have their say one way or another, and exert their influence one way or another.  Might be nice to have the Stephen's family back in the fold.

TulsaHawg

Have heard Scanlon is out. 

woodrow hog call

Quote from: factchecker on November 22, 2017, 02:44:18 am
I'd love Scanlon to be our AD.

Highly succesful in his current position.

Great connections with current and potential boosters $$$$.

FORMER RAZORBACK!

Experience working with athletes:

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/people/lists/profile/286/kevin-scanlon

Most important----- he is NOT Tommy Tuberville or Houston Nutt.

^^^^^This exactly, all the people throwing out names of former hogs for AD , like Ken Hatfield, Joe Klein, or Quinn Grovey, should be ecstatic with this hire.

He is one of us, and a great one at that, from his playing days just a hard nosed tough competitor that made everybody around him better. Fills the bill in both of the main categories, knowledgeable in the world of contracts and finance, and all hog with a good understanding of the state/culture as well.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on November 22, 2017, 08:57:00 am
Quit worrying about the money.  This program will make money with mentally challenged monkey in charge.  The only way this program could get in financial trouble would be if it took on a huge amount of debt while allowing attendance and donations to fall because of poor performance on the field...oh wait...

Maybe the AD just needs to take care of first things first instead of feverishly trying to squeeze out a few more hundred thousand dollars from a new concessions contract or some such crap. 

2016 saw the largest donation level to the RF $49m, and the largest ticket sales totaling $40m.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:35:56 am
Oh, Yay!  Someone with no experience as an AD but, by gosh, at least he's in the GOB network!  Another step back for Arkansas!  How humiliating!
You obviously don't know Kevin Scanlon.  He is brilliant, great with people, great financial mind, and he has great relationships with almost all of the major donors.  He may not have been an AD before, but he has run a sports management firm - quite successfully I might add.  Also, he genuinely cares about Razorback athletics.  If these reports are true, this is a homerun hire in my opinion.

snoblind

When I first was told Scanlon last week I was also told the one of the main goals was to unite the donor and fan base. 

Would not bother me a bit if the ones that whine the most about JL being fired and wanting to keep BB go follow them at their new schools.  After all, if both are as great those posters seem to think they are then both will snapped up immediately.

The rest of us would like to move forward.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: TebowHater on November 22, 2017, 08:38:32 am
He is on the board of the Razorback Foundation. The RF had a board meeting. That is all there is to that. For that matter, you could say the RF board likely met with your leading candidate Scott Varady last week, too (along with any/everyone else who attends those meetings).

He would be a great hire if he would take the job, but no decision has been made. They are forming the search committee this week per the leaky BOT member.

https://twitter.com/trey1037TheBuzz/status/932277250397007873

You're correct. I should have clearer.  My post referred more to discussion at the meeting and I should have mentioned that Kevin was there in his member role first and foremost.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

1highhog

Quote from: greenie on November 22, 2017, 01:31:28 am

Sports management?  Please tell me what sport he managed.
Has he ever hired/fired D1 coaches?  Has he dealt with the media?  Has he been responsible for the promotion and well-being of hundreds of student athletes?  That's like saying Jimmy Sexton would be a great AD because of his tremendous sports management experience.
Look, he may turn out to be a great AD, but it's not because he has any experience that proves it.

There's only one reason to hire a guy like this:  he'll do what he's told.

Okay, let's look at some of the things you mentioned in what we're needing and AD doing by himself, hiring Coaches-this is not something that should be left entirely up to one man in todays AD IMO, (see Jeff Long).  You brought up meeting with the media-Scanlon has experience with the media, and with the current job he has now, he also has had to oversee a huge number of employees so having to oversee the needs of the students at the U&A should be no problem, again, he does not do this by himself, he has multiple assistants.

Leadbelly

Wow!....just wow. Some on this board are just....wow.
Scanlon AD? +1
Go hogs!
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

Torqued pork

Scanlon is a financial brainiac with a sports background and has a real understanding of what the school and Razorbacks mean to our state. I think he would be an excellent AD.

fakenews

Didn't one of the mods say the AD would be announced Monday? Lol

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 22, 2017, 09:52:54 am
Scanlon is a financial brainiac with a sports background and has a real understanding of what the school and Razorbacks mean to our state. I think he would be an excellent AD.

I would not be disappointed if Scanlon were the man. I never liked the hatred for Long, but I do agree that Scanlon is a much more traditional Razorback hire and that he's got the skills to do the job or at least to grow into the job.  He doesn't have AD experience that I know of, but he's got experience in some of the relevant parts of the job.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hognipotent on November 22, 2017, 12:36:39 am
He’s very sharp, if this is true he is a great hire. I hope you are right, he would be a perfect balance of ceo type with great Arkansas connections

Yes, because the Long and Bielema collaboration was producing so well.  I can see why you wouldn't want it to end.

HawgTide

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:31:22 am
You want hang up or listen unfortunately. So please continue your walk of despair over the Cliff with pocket Sports talk guy. Or like I tell my son, Google it.

Hogville never disappoints.... Woe is me

HoggyCat

Quote from: markaroni on November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am
A coworker of mine, his wife works for Stephens here in Little Rock. Yesterday she came home and told her husband (my coworker) that "Kevin" Scanlon is leaving Stephens to take an AD job at Arkansas. Just telling you what I was told. Believe what you want.

I stated this over a week ago.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

MJ2

Quote from: markaroni on November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am
A coworker of mine, his wife works for Stephens here in Little Rock. Yesterday she came home and told her husband (my coworker) that "Kevin" Scanlon is leaving Stephens to take an AD job at Arkansas. Just telling you what I was told. Believe what you want.

Too big of a pay cut for Scanlon.

HF#1

Quote from: MJ2 on November 22, 2017, 10:06:03 am
Too big of a pay cut for Scanlon.

If it's Scanlon, money played no part in the decision.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pork Twain

What is most hilarious is that from what has been posted by many, you can tell they have absolutely no idea of either his qualifications or the qualifications desired in an AD, but they will not let that get in the way of a good bitching.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

porkerfinger

Scanlon would be an excellent choice for AD.

HoggyCat

Quote from: greenie on November 22, 2017, 12:53:42 am
If true, it's kind of funny since they called Jeff Long a bean counter.  Scanlon is a professional bean counter.  His qualification is that he can be manipulated by the GOBN while satisfying the calls for an "Arkansas man".  I hope he is indeed a great guy and develops into a great AD...he's certainly never done anything like it before, so only time will tell.

Scanlon is a former SUCCESSFUL  STARTING QB, not a backup. Scanlon has deep ties to this state AND PROGRAM, Long didn't. Scanlon loves this program, Long was worried about Long first and foremost, regardless how his minions might think otherwise.

And saying Scanlon hasn't done anything like this before..... Long had been an AD before..... and wasn't exactly successful. Wannstedt.... mandatory donations to get tickets... etc..... all reasons Pitt fans despised him.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HawgTide

Quote from: MissippHog on November 22, 2017, 04:20:46 am
Hogville last Tuesday:
"Jeff Long needs to be fired!  He's a yankee carpetbagger and doesn't understand Arkansas athletics.  He'll never be one of us.  We need someone who understands Arkansas!"

Hogville this Tuesday:
"Oh, great.  Looks like the GOBN is back full force by hiring an ex-Razorback with ties throughout the state." 

The mob is fickle

Captain Hogthrob

If this is true it's a home run, bat around and hit another home run.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hollywood870

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 22, 2017, 12:51:20 am
This is the thing I was afraid of, BB and Long had to be fired, I get that, but now we are going back to good ole Arkansas boys running the show. this could be a catastrophe.
You people are so funny.

ur

1. Scanlon 2. Rochelle 3. Varady   No TT or TH. they don't have the financial background.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: fakenews on November 22, 2017, 09:58:09 am
Didn't one of the mods say the AD would be announced Monday? Lol

No. A mod said the choice was made and could be announced as early as Monday, not on Monday. I think they decided it would be prudent to wait until the season is over out of respect for Bielema. He doesn't deserve to be our coach, but he also doesn't deserve to be humiliated on his way out.

Medic821

Scott Varaday what I keep hearing..

hogblitz

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 09:34:26 am
You're correct. I should have clearer.  My post referred more to discussion at the meeting and I should have mentioned that Kevin was there in his member role first and foremost.
Any news that you can share on the Bielema front?  Has he told the players he is gone?  Any idea what day will be his last?  If you cannot answer, I understand. 

regi

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 02:26:29 am
Soooo, in other words, he doesn't.  End of story!  Thanx for playing!

No,  he is more than qualified,  you are just to lazy to actually research it. So enjoy living in fear of Scanlon being our AD.

HawgTide

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 08:53:34 am
Kevin Scanlon is an amazing choice.  Football player...check.  Former Razorback...check.  Former Razorback in our glory days...check.  Business man...check.  Connected to DEEP money...check.  Former sports agent...check.  Arkansas Guy, but with larger world experience...check.  He'll have a massive staff thanks to Jeff Long basically tripling it.  From people I know that know him, he's a pretty good guy too.  Seems to me he is everything Jeff Long was that was good but he also is all the things Jeff Long wasn't.  Instant, immediate upgrade if true.
Quote from: hawgon on November 22, 2017, 08:57:00 am

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 22, 2017, 09:19:16 am
You obviously don't know Kevin Scanlon.  He is brilliant, great with people, great financial mind, and he has great relationships with almost all of the major donors.  He may not have been an AD before, but he has run a sports management firm - quite successfully I might add.  Also, he genuinely cares about Razorback athletics.  If these reports are true, this is a homerun hire in my opinion.

Justifiable Hogicide

It appears WMS has been saved.

DoctorSusscrofa

I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: hogblitz on November 22, 2017, 11:11:55 am
Any news that you can share on the Bielema front?  Has he told the players he is gone?  Any idea what day will be his last?  If you cannot answer, I understand. 

Nothing has been officially announced.  The players and staff are preparing for Missouri.  There is a cloud over the building.  I think that is obvious from the press conferences.  The players and staff want to finish strong Friday.  After that, no one, players or coaches know exactly what is going to happen.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ChicoHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 03:41:27 am
He is from Beaver Falls,  Pennsylvania.  He signed with Lou Holtz when Holtz was the HC at NC State.  Holtz left NC State to coach the NY Jets.  After 1 miserable year there, he was hired at Arkansas.  Scanlon transferred to Arkansas at that time.   He played here for 2 seasons, 78 & 79.  I am totally on the fence on this if he is the right hire.  His is old school Razorback and a great guy from what I'm told, but he hasn't been an athletic administrator.  Although his experience as a player rep is a step in that direction, there is a lot more to it than that.   I do know he met last week with members of the Razorback Foundation Board and was this was likely the direction that things would go.   
I grew up about 25 miles from Beaver Falls, home of Joe Namath also, and was a freshman on the hill when Scanlon was our QB in 79.  Still remember the Houston game where we lost so close. If i remember correctly houston blocked an Ish Ordonez FG attempt that would have tied the game.  Houston went to the Cotton Bowl as SWC champs We went 10-1 and lost to Bama in the Sugar Bowl.  They were really good that year. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: ur on November 22, 2017, 10:12:26 am
1. Scanlon 2. Rochelle 3. Varady   No TT or TH. they don't have the financial background.

Your top three are golden but #1 is #1

texas tush hog

Quote from: Medic821 on November 22, 2017, 10:28:45 am
Scott Varaday what I keep hearing..

You need to get a hearing aid then.

HogShat

Will Scanlon bring back the Rootin' Rags?

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Hogblog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 08:53:34 am

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

SooieGeneris

If it is Scanlon, I will support the hire and believe he will "win the press conference."

He has dealt with the media as a starting QB at Arkansas and he can deal with "difficult" people. The guy played for Lou Holtz at NC State, then here. It doesn't get more difficult than that, especially for a QB.

He was recruited to NC State by Lou and stayed there when Holtz left to go for his ill-fated one year with the NY Jets.

When Holtz came here, he followed, sat out as a transfer in '77, was Calcagni's backup in '78, starter as a senior in '79.

So what if he is from, gasp, north of the Mason-Dixon line? The guy has been in the state since 1977, way before many scoffers were even born.

Jeff Long had no prior connection to this state or the UA. Scanlon has invested 40 years of his life here.

He tried out for the NFL, didn't make the cut and came back to AR and has been here since. He has been a sports agent, so he knows the business side of the games. He has business experience at Stephens, Inc.

Among his clients as an agent were Nolan and one Houston D. Nutt, until Hooten got greedy and switched to Sexton.

To those who think he would only be a tool of the GOBN, I submit this query? Was his client Nolan part of the GOBN?

I have only met the guy once years ago, but he seems like the kind of guy who can relate to both the CEOs and the janitors in the BAC.

He has much business experience, athletic experience and if he needed advice on a potential coach, he wouldn't have to go far to get it.

As a player for Lou Holtz, an agent for Nolan and he likely has dealt with DVH as a member of the RF, he would be privy to valuable input.

As for the future of WMS, I don't automatically assume that more than 1 game for LR is in the future. Maybe, but not unless that place is seriously updated.

You don't have to be a CEO to know that spending 160-180 million for stadium renovations on campus and then playing FEWER games there doesn't make business sense.

He or whoever the next AD is will make some enemies on one side or the other regardless of what happens on the stadium front. That is why some potential candidates with instate connections may hesitate to take the job.

That could be why Scanlon might be reluctant or it could be just that a decision has been made but everyone involved has agreed to hold off on an announcement.

Some say he would take too big a pay cut. Maybe, but he is around 60 as a 1980 UA grad and may have enough money to be looking to retire from Stephens or for a new challenge anyway.

We will see. If it is Varady instead ok. I don't know about Trainor though as he has worked closely with BB for 5 years and may not want to be the guy who fires him..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

BoogaHog

Quote from: tusked on November 22, 2017, 01:54:08 am
Get off Scanlon's arse. He's more successful than 99% of the posters on this board and more than qualified to be an AD.

It's a great pick and I think he'll do well.  Probably the best AD the hogs have had since the 90s.  Thats when JFB, with the help of White, started slipping.

Enough of the administrators doing a mans job.  They started ruining things when White got his hands into the program.

100% Accurate.

BigDeal

Who the new AD should be : HDN
Who it most like will be: Tom Bowen .

I thank you

SPAL

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 22, 2017, 01:17:55 am
Why are people surprised at this? They're getting the band back together. LSU will be in LR again, we will have AT LEAST two games there, our coach will be Gus, and anyone that doesn't drink sweet tea and have a gun rack will be booted from the BAC.

Yee. Haw.

It worked out so well the other way, right? Right?

Hollywood870

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 22, 2017, 07:41:01 am
This.

A LOT of people on this board just want to be unhappy and bitch/complain.
It's the Longites and Bielemers that are doing the bitching. It's easy to see.

SPAL

Quote from: menehune on November 22, 2017, 07:33:40 am
You DO realize that the University of Arkansas athletic department and the Razorback Foundation make tons of money from investments and donations, right? ...Enough money to pay for ALL other sports without charging each student an activity fee and still enough to have quite a comfortable cash balance!!!

The money "lost" by playing in Little Rock is one of those non-financial investments that reaps dividends, both in donations and in statewide support and buy-in to the program.  Why is that so hard for many of y'all to understand?

I've seen a huge downshift since we stopped playing in Little Rock. It's like central Arkansas said...."fine, do it without us."

I was wrong. I thought getting rid of WMS was a good thing. It isn't. We should continue playing LSU at the least.