Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The dust never settled, going back almost two decades now

Started by Rudy Baylor, January 07, 2018, 11:39:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Baylor

That other thread, fine thread btw, asked "Now that the dust has settled?...?..."

well it never settled

Question you should be asking: Has a real live athletics director hired even a majority of major sports coaches at Arkansas since the late 90's?

Who hired Nutt? Broyles? Really? Did he?

Broyles hired Heath, I think, I'm pretty sure, but who hired Pelphry? Broyles? Long? GOBN/PTB's? BOT?

It wasn't Long.

Who sent Nutt packing? Broyles? Really?

Who ended up benefiting from Nutt's buyout money? Nutt? Really? Are yall sure?

When "Broyles was our athletics director", who was our real athletics director?

Long didn't hire Petrino, the same way Hunter didn't hire Morris
. Story of the decade in Arkansas? No. Why not? Media won't report the comparison. 

Repeat: Long didn't hire Petrino. He fired him. Anyone on talk radio ever make that point besides callers who get cut off? Nah

Once we can't say Lindsey is/was the defacto AD anymore, who is it now? Because neither Julie nor Hunter hired Morris. But we're not allowed to know who really made the hire.

Media won't tell us.

So whoever hired Morris is a mystery, and that's the father of the mystery that recruits log into our own football website and see that we've only listed two coaches - Morris and Lunney - for the past month. Still like that today.

Maybe it's all being saved for a really neato day when the neato people have a huge staff announcement, brought to you by Red Bull, and darn eating grins.

But we're just the fans. The folks who fork over ridiculous percentage chunks of our income to prove we are fans. We're not supposed to ask questions like this. Media hates us when we do. GOBN/PTB's maybe too.

I don't know. I'll bet the GOBN/PTB's hate us less than the media.

Steef

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 11:39:15 am
That other thread, fine thread btw, asked "Now that the dust has settled?...?..."

well it never settled

Question you should be asking: Has a real live athletics director hired even a majority of major sports coaches at Arkansas since the late 90's?

Who hired Nutt? Broyles? Really? Did he?

Broyles hired Heath, I think, I'm pretty sure, but who hired Pelphry? Broyles? Long? GOBN/PTB's? BOT?

It wasn't Long.

Who sent Nutt packing? Broyles? Really?

Who ended up benefiting from Nutt's buyout money? Nutt? Really? Are yall sure?

When "Broyles was our athletics director", who was our real athletics director?

Long didn't hire Petrino, the same way Hunter didn't hire Morris
. Story of the decade in Arkansas? No. Why not? Media won't report the comparison. 

Repeat: Long didn't hire Petrino. He fired him. Anyone on talk radio ever make that point besides callers who get cut off? Nah

Once we can't say Lindsey is/was the defacto AD anymore, who is it now? Because neither Julie nor Hunter hired Morris. But we're not allowed to know who really made the hire.

Media won't tell us.

So whoever hired Morris is a mystery, and that's the father of the mystery that recruits log into our own football website and see that we've only listed two coaches - Morris and Lunney - for the past month. Still like that today.

Maybe it's all being saved for a really neato day when the neato people have a huge staff announcement, brought to you by Red Bull, and darn eating grins.

But we're just the fans. The folks who fork over ridiculous percentage chunks of our income to prove we are fans. We're not supposed to ask questions like this. Media hates us when we do. GOBN/PTB's maybe too.

I don't know. I'll bet the GOBN/PTB's hate us less than the media.

Strange, but true...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Boardon Hamsay

This thread is probably one of the more enlightening threads to grace the MMQB pages in some time. Ranks right up there with Skandar exposing the jelly sandwich and lobster rituals under the former regime and twist's deep dive into stadium concession trends. Prior to that, MMQB probably hasn't seen this level of thought provoking details since the thread that delved into the ontological argument against the existence of Tom Penders. I need to marinate on this further. Good work, OP.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ricepig

I'll be selling the answers to all those questions, just PayPal me $20/question and I'll reply. Thanks.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 07, 2018, 11:52:38 am
This thread is probably one of the more enlightening threads to grace the MMQB pages in some time. Ranks right up there with Skandar exposing the jelly sandwich and lobster rituals under the former regime and twist's deep dive into stadium concession trends. Prior to that, MMQB probably hasn't seen this level of thought provoking details since the thread that delved into the ontological argument against the existence of Tom Penders. I need to marinate on this further. Good work, OP.

I actually think Tom Penders may have made the Pelphrey hire. While wearing one of the girls gymnastics unis.

totally serious.

RockyMtnHog

So is CCM really hiring his coaching staff?  It sure appears to be that way as most are coming from SMU or other places that he has contacts.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 11:57:06 am
so you're including steef, tuskColorado, Darrell and ricepig in that? Or just me?

I know I need help....The wife told me this morning over coffee.

Oklahawg

There will always be "slippage" between the actual negotiations on the phone or in a back room somewhere and what is allowed to be reported.

For example, there are facts typically omitted about the hiring process that ended with Bielema as our coach. They were an inconvenient part of the narrative once we had CBB as our coach, so they were never brought up and there was little reason for media to ask about them. It is only when the story breaks down - when CBB is suddenly a coach struggling to avoid the ax, for example - that other tidbits return.

There is no "right way" to announce your staff. Hog fans are used to head coaches being very proactive with announcements. It is shrewd PR - it eliminates alternative messages that cloud the "unified" story of the new coach. When there is an awkward (and I think we are full on in the awkward stage right now) delay in naming coaches it allows us to ask "what if?"

We don't really deserve answers any more than your local politician owes you a phone call explaining why they voted up or down on the latest tax bill.

When you have delays you are inviting contrary ideas to creep in:
Did a targeted assistant bail?
Are we struggling to fill a position?
Are we in a bidding war with another school?
Is the coach struggling to pass the legal threshold for UA?

These are not helpful, even if accurate. That is the problem we are encountering - we are able to wonder because the PR machine at UA has not produced a nicely-packaged, pre-programmed presser announcing assistant coaches.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 07, 2018, 12:06:59 pm
There will always be "slippage" between the actual negotiations on the phone or in a back room somewhere and what is allowed to be reported.

For example, there are facts typically omitted about the hiring process that ended with Bielema as our coach. They were an inconvenient part of the narrative once we had CBB as our coach, so they were never brought up and there was little reason for media to ask about them. It is only when the story breaks down - when CBB is suddenly a coach struggling to avoid the ax, for example - that other tidbits return.

There is no "right way" to announce your staff. Hog fans are used to head coaches being very proactive with announcements. It is shrewd PR - it eliminates alternative messages that cloud the "unified" story of the new coach. When there is an awkward (and I think we are full on in the awkward stage right now) delay in naming coaches it allows us to ask "what if?"

We don't really deserve answers any more than your local politician owes you a phone call explaining why they voted up or down on the latest tax bill.

These are not helpful, even if accurate. That is the problem we are encountering - we are able to wonder because the PR machine at UA has not produced a nicely-packaged, pre-programmed presser announcing assistant coaches.

It's a X-File episode...The truth is out there!

Rudy Baylor

there's huge reason for the media to ask

Rudy Baylor

absolutely 100% wrong my friend

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on January 07, 2018, 11:42:30 am
Head scratcher, isn't it?

I guess I don't see it as much of a head scratcher given that Long wasn't even officially the AD yet when Petrino was hired in December of 2007. Long officially took the post in Jan 2008 even though he was on campus at the time.

And again, with a brand new AD on campus this year it isn't surprising that he had nothing to do with the hiring of Morris.

Now that doesn't explain who is pulling the strings behind the scenes but is this something entirely new? It hasn't been in the last 20 years that the OP cites so given that truth, what is the purpose of the post? Simple frustration over the fact that we still don't have an entire staff hired and announced?

And yes, it will be really "neato" when they are announced.
Go Hogs Go!

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 07, 2018, 12:21:56 pm
I guess I don't see it as much of a head scratcher given that Long wasn't even officially the AD yet when Petrino was hired in December of 2007. Long officially took the post in Jan 2008 even though he was on campus at the time.

And again, with a brand new AD on campus this year it isn't surprising that he had nothing to do with the hiring of Morris.

Now that doesn't explain who is pulling the strings behind the scenes but is this something entirely new? It hasn't been in the last 20 years that the OP cites so given that truth, what is the purpose of the post? Simple frustration over the fact that we still don't have an entire staff hired and announced?

in a fell swoop, you're saying the questions related to Tuberville v Nutt in 1997-1998 don't matter

Rudy Baylor

a trend is a trend

if it's a trend at a storied major college football/basketball program, it's news

porkrindjimmy

Jerry Jones. He holds all the answers to this one.....

PRJ

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 07, 2018, 12:21:56 pm

I understand the timing of Long/Petrino. Same timing we've had with Morris this time.

What troubles me is....if the AD is NOT hiring the coaches....who is?

We had real issues with the Lindsay/White/Broyles/Nutt fiasco. If we have not improved on that, it's really bothersome. To me, at least.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on January 07, 2018, 12:28:07 pm
Jerry Jones. He holds all the answers to this one.....

PRJ

truth

he's the key Lincoln Log on this particular latest one

but the two-decade process...?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 11:57:06 am
so you're including steef, tuskColorado, Darrell and ricepig in that? Or just me?

Just you. I was searching for something to make you feel better but those guys posted so it fast it just messed me up.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

I would ASSUME, because I really don't know, that the assistants would be offered by the HC to those folks above him for the next 2 or 3 levels being either opposed or in agreement.  Likely the general arrangements being made BEFORE the HC agreed to come onboard. 

I have said for many years that the failures in Arkansas sports go way above the AD and I truly believe that.  Circumstance has played a huge part in making some of the decisions.  I don't wish to believe that Jeff Long would have been allowed to hire Bret Bielema almost by himself, if the entire College Nation of sports had not been so vocal about how he stood up for integrity in the face of lies and other problems.  Jeff is the talk of the sports world at that point.   Many immediately thought that entitled Jeff to being the know all, understand all of the entire AD job.  Long appears to have been given great latitude in that hire.  FAILURE BY THOSE ABOVE HIM IN THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.  Jeff saw progress in numbers of years while our counterparts choose to see progress in weeks.  Why someone in the Chain of Command didn't really look at what Bret would try to do on the field with scheme and at least question it, is beyond me.  The chances of Power football working for Arkansas in the SEC was almost nil.  Little mistakes matter. 

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 12:30:19 pm
truth

he's the key Lincoln Log on this particular latest one

but the two-decade process...?

Jerry was the point man with Bobby.

PRJ

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Steef on January 07, 2018, 12:30:09 pm
I understand the timing of Long/Petrino. Same timing we've had with Morris this time.

We had real issues with the Lindsay/White/Broyles/Nutt fiasco. If we have not improved on that, it's really bothersome. To me, at least.

Thank you

Thank you

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 07, 2018, 12:31:06 pm
Just you. I was searching for something to make you feel better but those guys posted so it fast it just messed me up.

that's fine, love you brother

oldhawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on January 07, 2018, 12:32:38 pm

PRJ

If that's the case, and assuming that Jerry was the point man with Morris (as some on HV are claiming), maybe Arkansas has another coach who can win football game.

Rudy Baylor

we actually live as Arkansas fans where the real news, will, not, be, reported, and so that opens up a vacuum for message board heroes to opine (right or wrong) and then....

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Rudy Baylor

Paul

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 12:13:30 pm

there's huge reason for the media to ask
as we saw the 3 days leading up to the announcement of Morris, the Ark sports media does the bidding of the program.  Those who question the workings of the program are destined to be diagnosed with a DSM-5 disorder.  "Soylent green is people!" 

Lao Tsuie

Most of these old traditional football powers have "football people"top to bottom in the Ath. Dept. and the eggheads and fancy pants of the schools leave them alone. They better. Arkansas has the Jeff Longs, the John Whites the eclectic committees and the what have yous with the power of the free hand over the ADs.
The traditional winners are stocked with football people top to bottom.

We are like the "New money" and it shows.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on January 07, 2018, 12:30:09 pm

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 12:35:24 pm
Thank you

Thank you

Power players always seem to have some level of influence over a HC'ing search/hire when it is at least to some degree, some of their money that is being spent to fund programs, hire coaches and pay rather large buyouts when something hasn't gone as expected. They at least get input, some probably more than others. I think that it would be rare to find someone who helps fund these things that doesn't at least offer "guidance", whether asked for that guidance or not. I guess it doesn't bother me as much as some of you because I just know that is more the norm than not and that this isn't limited to Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

pigbacon

I would suspect that maybe ousting Danny Ford and firing Nolan were the last of Broyles reigns. Broyles was more of a figure head to pull $$$ to the UA athletics dept. in the 90's.

It has been mentioned here on HV and elsewhere before that Heath was a product of John White, that Broyles had Bill Self lined up after Nolan.

Ever since, the methods and inner workings of Scientology is less mysterious than the workings of the PTB at UA athletics.

The biggest and most frustrating question in a nutshell, is who is responsible for allowing clowns like JL and CBB to come in, spend, and walk away with hard earned money that fans of and citizens from a small, blue collared state like Arkansas have coughed up to witness such nonsense.

I think Jimmy Hoffa will surface before such is ever answered.

Who and what does John White know to allow him to even remain being employed at a public institution in the state of Arkansas, much less the U of A?

ricepig

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 07, 2018, 12:49:32 pm
Power players always seem to have some level of influence over a HC'ing search/hire when it is at least to some degree, some of their money that is being spent to fund programs, hire coaches and pay rather large buyouts when something hasn't gone as expected. They at least get input, some probably more than others. I think that it would be rare to find someone who helps fund these things that doesn't at least offer "advice", whether asked for that advice or not. I guess it doesn't bother me as much as some of you because I just know that is more the norm than not and that this isn't limited to Arkansas.

half truth

you took "get input" and "offer advice" all the way to whatever this Arkansas situation is. The Arkansas situation is not "get input and offer advice"

And if you've lived outside of this 200-300 mile literal Razorback sphere, you know that the sports media in many areas don't play. They don't cover for people. They report the news and actually make enemies and still sleep well at night.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: pigbacon on January 07, 2018, 12:53:43 pm

Ever since, the methods and inner workings of Scientology is less mysterious than the workings of the PTB at UA athletics.

Rudy Baylor

pigbacon, thank you, the Heath v Bill Self question....

perfect example

fricking crickets

we get crickets

The fans. We get crickets.

Paul

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 07, 2018, 12:49:32 pm
Power players always seem to have some level of influence over a HC'ing search/hire when it is at least to some degree, some of their money that is being spent to fund programs, hire coaches and pay rather large buyouts when something hasn't gone as expected. They at least get input, some probably more than others. I think that it would be rare to find someone who helps fund these things that doesn't at least offer "advice", whether asked for that advice or not. I guess it doesn't bother me as much as some of you because I just know that is more the norm than not and that this isn't limited to Arkansas.
True. But when Jimmy Haslam tried to hire Schiano, the TN fans revolted.     

pigbacon

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on January 07, 2018, 12:32:38 pm

PRJ

Story somewhere about Cliff Lee's agent, or maybe it was another former Razorback MLB player. Not saying JJ had no involvement.

ricepig

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 12:55:18 pm
half truth

you took "get input" and "offer advice" all the way to whatever this Arkansas situation is. The Arkansas situation is not "get input and offer advice"

And if you've lived outside of this 200-300 mile literal Razorback sphere, you know that the sports media in many areas don't play. They don't cover for people. They report the news and actually make enemies and still sleep well at night.

Have you considered starting a blog with Bolin so y'all can get the answers to all of your questions?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

The Pigluminati or IlluPIGnati (whichever) knew this day would come and had an answer for it already. Just like masterminds they Had Hunter congratulate "What'sHerName" on doing all of the heavy lifting on the hiring and just leaving paperwork for Hunter to do, which he promptly threw on her desk and said "Finish Them!"...!

This was fun for one post, but you have to get tired of being such a dork ALL the time RÜDster...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

half truth

So the premise of starting this thread is your problem with how the Arkansas Media reports the sports news as it relates to the University of Arkansas? I'm just asking.
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

half truth

advice you can't refuse

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Paul on January 07, 2018, 01:00:33 pm
True. But when Jimmy Haslam tried to hire Schiano, the TN fans revolted.   

irregardless, a guy named John Adama gives a rats behind what Jimmy Haslam thinks

ricepig

Quote from: pigbacon on January 07, 2018, 01:01:23 pm
Story somewhere about Cliff Lee's agent, or maybe it was another former Tazorback MLB player. Not saying JJ had no involvement.

Yeah, Jerry helped with some connections, but I remember hearing about Lee and his agent.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 07, 2018, 01:02:25 pm
So the premise of starting this thread is your problem with how the Arkansas Media reports the sports news as it relates to the University of Arkansas? I'm just asking.

?

really?

Paul

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 01:03:04 pm

irregardless, a guy named John Adama gives a rats behind what Jimmy Haslam thinks
exactly the point of my post

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 07, 2018, 01:03:52 pm
?

really?

half truth

You said it, I just asked.
Go Hogs Go!