Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legally able to fly plane

Started by cbhawg03, September 17, 2015, 12:57:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cbhawg03

Can someone define that or be specific as to what is meant by "we may be able to legally fly the plane"?

Had an American Airline pilot come on flight this past Sunday and say that they are working on the problem and that we might be able to legally fly the plane.  Supposedly was a starter that had went out or something similar, but could bypass it and start the engine anyways, but then later came on and talked about not being able to deice the plane after passing through some weather. 

Flying Razorback

Quote from: cbhawg03 on September 17, 2015, 12:57:34 pm
Can someone define that or be specific as to what is meant by "we may be able to legally fly the plane"?

Had an American Airline pilot come on flight this past Sunday and say that they are working on the problem and that we might be able to legally fly the plane.  Supposedly was a starter that had went out or something similar, but could bypass it and start the engine anyways, but then later came on and talked about not being able to deice the plane after passing through some weather. 

We normally keep a "minimum equipment list" on board.  It lists out every piece of equipment and whether or not it's required to fly the plane.  If it's listed as something like "2 installed - 1 required" then you can legally fly with just 1.

So in a case like the starter they are probably going to do what they can to get it fixed, but past a certain time or if a certain level fix is required, they'll look at whether they can just continue to fly as is and fix it down the line.

A lot of times there are lines alongside the equipment like "2 installed - 1 required, Note: Must avoid all icing conditions" or something.  That's probably what he meant. 

It's fairly common to fly with degraded equipment in the Air Force as long as it won't impact the mission.  I could see it being similar in the airlines to keep the planes moving and then deal with it when it gets to a spot where they can have the plane down long enough to fix it.  But many times it's transparent to us when we're riding as passengers.

The pilot was probably trying to keep you guys informed and engaged so that you didn't feel like you were just sitting around with no idea what was going on or for how long.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

cbhawg03

Quote from: Flying Razorback on September 17, 2015, 06:43:45 pm

We normally keep a "minimum equipment list" on board.  It lists out every piece of equipment and whether or not it's required to fly the plane.  If it's listed as something like "2 installed - 1 required" then you can legally fly with just 1.

So in a case like the starter they are probably going to do what they can to get it fixed, but past a certain time or if a certain level fix is required, they'll look at whether they can just continue to fly as is and fix it down the line.

A lot of times there are lines alongside the equipment like "2 installed - 1 required, Note: Must avoid all icing conditions" or something.  That's probably what he meant. 

It's fairly common to fly with degraded equipment in the Air Force as long as it won't impact the mission.  I could see it being similar in the airlines to keep the planes moving and then deal with it when it gets to a spot where they can have the plane down long enough to fix it.  But many times it's transparent to us when we're riding as passengers.

The pilot was probably trying to keep you guys informed and engaged so that you didn't feel like you were just sitting around with no idea what was going on or for how long.

Thanks for response. Worse part was probably dealing with being stuck in hot plane without a drink meanwhile first / business class got drinks twice.  Figured at some point over the two and half hours we would have got a drink.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: cbhawg03 on September 18, 2015, 08:47:36 am
Thanks for response. Worse part was probably dealing with being stuck in hot plane without a drink meanwhile first / business class got drinks twice.  Figured at some point over the two and half hours we would have got a drink.

That's terrible.  I can't believe they kept you guys on the plane that long.  Did they at least do a water service for you guys?

There was a "Passenger Bill of Rights" that was going towards Congress at one point to try and stop stuff like this.  I don't know whatever happened to that.

I do whatever I can with my 130 to keep passengers out of the back when we don't have the motors running.  Especially if it's hot. I've been cussing over a sat phone on the ramp in a backwater country when the Ops cell was trying to delay us a few hours.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Flying Razorback on September 18, 2015, 09:16:47 am
That's terrible.  I can't believe they kept you guys on the plane that long.  Did they at least do a water service for you guys?

There was a "Passenger Bill of Rights" that was going towards Congress at one point to try and stop stuff like this.  I don't know whatever happened to that.

I do whatever I can with my 130 to keep passengers out of the back when we don't have the motors running.  Especially if it's hot. I've been cussing over a sat phone on the ramp in a backwater country when the Ops cell was trying to delay us a few hours.

We didn't get any drinks, no coke, no beer, no water, nothing.  I believe that the "Passenger Bill of Rights" did pass, but I was on way back from Mexico so don't think that the "Passenger Bill of Rights" would have been any help. 

Flying Razorback

Quote from: cbhawg03 on September 18, 2015, 12:33:38 pm
We didn't get any drinks, no coke, no beer, no water, nothing.  I believe that the "Passenger Bill of Rights" did pass, but I was on way back from Mexico so don't think that the "Passenger Bill of Rights" would have been any help. 

Oh ok, I didn't realize you were outside the states.  I hate to hear that.  There's nothing worse than being in a hot plane.  Especially when there's nothing to drink.