Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for all you Pilots out there

Started by JansterZ71, July 23, 2015, 01:07:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JansterZ71

Hey guys,  without going into too much detail,  I just got a promotion which will put me in a position where I deal with pilots/airport authorities on a daily basis.  As a Civil Engineer with zero pilot experience can you guys direct me to a website that can explain the pilot/airport lingo?  I have designed airports/runways in the past so I'm not a complete idiot on the subjuct, but would like to know more so I may hold a conversation with pilots without losing their respect.  Thank you guys in advance and fly safe!
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Jek Tono Porkins

Are you going to be dealing with airline pilots or more like people that are just starting out in the field? For airlines, here's a pretty good start, though you probably know most of it if you designed airports: http://aerosavvy.com/aviation-terminology/

The biggest elementary mistake I see people make is private vs. commercial and other certificate/rating mix-ups. When people hear of a "private jet", say for example Jerry Jones' jet, they assume the person flying it is a "private pilot." Not so. They are a corporate pilot. In the civilian aviation world, there's basically two types of big boy flying; airline and corporate. Airline pilots work for airlines, corporate pilots fly rich folks around.

A private pilot is someone that holds a private pilot certificate. Basically, you can fly a plane, but you can't get paid for it. Sort of like a driver's license. Harrison Ford is a private pilot.

Likewise, a commercial pilot and an airline pilot are two different things. A commercial pilot is someone that holds a commercial pilot certificate. They can get paid for flying under most conditions but they can't be an airline pilot.

An airline pilot is someone that flies for an airline and holds an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (ATP).

When I used to tell someone that I was training to become a pilot, they would invariably ask, "Oh wow! That's so cool! Are you wanting to fly commercial?" I was so very tempted to say, "Absolutely not. I do not want to get paid to fly."

Hope that helps and congrats on the promotion!
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

JansterZ71

Thank you for your reply Jek Tono Porkins!  I did not know that about pilots! I will be in charge of the design/construction of smaller airports, non FAA Part 139 Operating Certificate airports.  The smaller airports have pilots running them so I need to talk their lingo. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

ricepig

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 24, 2015, 09:16:38 am
Thank you for your reply Jek Tono Porkins!  I did not know that about pilots! I will be in charge of the design/construction of smaller airports, non FAA Part 139 Operating Certificate airports.  The smaller airports have pilots running them so I need to talk their lingo. 

Oh, so you need to know how many kilos the runway will hold up? J/K, sounds like an interesting project, good luck.