Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And so it begins

Started by gotyacovered, February 07, 2014, 04:13:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i have been trying to decide how to do this... i want to document my next few months of my airplane ownership, but i am unsure how much detail i want to make public. i will let the thread morph where it wants.

day 1

i contacted several local (Arkansas and eastern Texas mechanics). after about 6 calls i was reffered to exactly what i was looking for. he is going to come to me over the next couple weeks, or i to him, which ever works out best.

rules of the game:
1. i will let anyone know prices - if they want; however, i havent decided if i want to post yet, but i will respond to PM's. this may change. i have made my real name known on this board and am not sure i want to disclose all details.

2. these updates will not be daily, just when things happen, but i believe it will be a neat process (for me) to diary and hopefully it will benefit the 'when pigs fly' forum. i will post pics, mechanic names, and my general frustrations.

i gave the mechanic (known from here on out as DA) three things we are considering, open of course to his input (in order of consideration). as i believe you all know, i have a partner in my plane and he is very indecisive on the future of his ownership. he really wants a open cockpit pleasure aircraft. for every hour he has flown since our partnership inception, i have flown 25 ;D

Options
1. pponk
if any of you are unfamiliar with pponk here you go:
process: http://www.pponk.com/HTML%20PAGES/O470_conversion.html
specs: http://www.pponk.com/HTML%20PAGES/engine_overview.html
2. major over haul to original specs (230hp)
3. factory reman

the actual work will not be done (started) until May - which i am going to coincide with my annual).
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

How long is all this going to keep the plane down?  How big a cut from your training do you anticipate?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

john c

If I read earlier threads would probably find the answer to the following questions, but I'm lazy, so:
  1.  What is the model of your plane?
  2.  What is the goal(s)?

A few years back I did some extensive remodeling of a 182Q.  Primary goals were:  better/more modern instrumentation (for more solid IFR flying), flat panel, less noise.  Secondary goals for the money spent were cruise speed increase, improved ROC.  When I calculated the potential cruise/ROC increases over missions the money seemed better spent on the items that became the primary goals as the Cessna airframe could only produce so much and more HP was limiting.  That said, I was really interested in diesel conversions and more prop blades would help noise and look cool - but ended up doing nothing to the engine/prop.  If we had kept the plane, the other mods would likely have been done.

Redid a Seneca III and did go with most of the Lopresti speed mods and got about 12 knots.  Gutted the Seneca interior and added a lot of soundproofing along with new leather and window inserts (Mena) and Seneca IV paint scheme (Siloam Springs).  Avionics on both planes was done at King's in New Century, KS.  Did a good enough job that a local bank decided they wanted it for their first company owned plane.

Before getting sidetracked, I wanted to redo a Lance.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on February 08, 2014, 12:08:24 pm
How long is all this going to keep the plane down?  How big a cut from your training do you anticipate?
I'll be flying it all the way until may with frequent oil changes/compression checks/oil samples as precautions. This started bc my oil consumption has increased and I don't want to wait for the need to arrive, trying to plan ahead.

Yes, it will put IFR training on hold to preserve hours for use instead of training. Will resume immediately following the work. Assuming I can afford it ;D

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on February 08, 2014, 01:53:41 pm
If I read earlier threads would probably find the answer to the following questions, but I'm lazy, so:
  1.  What is the model of your plane?
  2.  What is the goal(s)?

A few years back I did some extensive remodeling of a 182Q.  Primary goals were:  better/more modern instrumentation (for more solid IFR flying), flat panel, less noise.  Secondary goals for the money spent were cruise speed increase, improved ROC.  When I calculated the potential cruise/ROC increases over missions the money seemed better spent on the items that became the primary goals as the Cessna airframe could only produce so much and more HP was limiting.  That said, I was really interested in diesel conversions and more prop blades would help noise and look cool - but ended up doing nothing to the engine/prop.  If we had kept the plane, the other mods would likely have been done.

Redid a Seneca III and did go with most of the Lopresti speed mods and got about 12 knots.  Gutted the Seneca interior and added a lot of soundproofing along with new leather and window inserts (Mena) and Seneca IV paint scheme (Siloam Springs).  Avionics on both planes was done at King's in New Century, KS.  Did a good enough job that a local bank decided they wanted it for their first company owned plane.

Before getting sidetracked, I wanted to redo a Lance.

i should have provided the info anyways...

182L... goals? get the most bang for my buck. engine and eventually new audio panel and a 650. but the objective is to replace the tired engine, restore relabiity and performance, and possibly increase performance (pponk).

i really want a 206 but i cant put a deal together on the one that is availble to me. in the end i am going to end up owning the othe half, probably prior to the engine upgrade. we have not decided, really not a good deal for my partner, but its de-valued so much at this point, it doesnt really matter. avionics will be on me.

john c

Decisions, decisions.  The good thing is you have an engine ready for OH.  Our 182 had a strong engine with lots of hours left.  Seems like I looked at Texas Skyways as well as PPonk.  Extra HP is good for more than just cruise speed.

The Q model has a 28v system which is nice - don't know if the L can be converted or if you desire such.  There are just so many things you can do so we made a long list and tried to rank with a cost benefit.  Also asked insurance company what any impacts might be.

Some choices drag along others.  We changed so much of the avionics that a flat panel was the only option regardless of how good it looked.  (Will post some panel pics if can dig some up.)

Much of our decision making was dictated by believing that the 182 was a solid choice for us - cheap to fly, dependable, reasonable speed, nice for our 2-3 people 3-500 mile day trips to out of the way airports.  So we spent investment money rather than fix-up money.  Of course, you can justify about anything.

Pistol Pete

I'm really going to enjoy following your "diary" Jeff.
I'm not trying to HiJack your thread, but my brother is worrying me to death about upgrading our 172L. Our Lycoming E2D has about 950 hours on a 2,000 hour TBO.
He wants to install the Power Flow exhaust.
Electronic ignition to replace one mag.
Flap gap seals.
New or re-pitched prop, if they do that... our prop has about 200 hours since new.

I have a hard time believing the improvements Power Flow claims.
As a former racer, I absolutely DO believe in the advantages of electronic ignition over a mag... probably 2-5% improvement in power. I've seen it time after time.
I'm not sure these improvements compound on each other.

Good luck on your build!

Pistol Pete

That pponk engine is very interesting.

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on February 08, 2014, 04:48:14 pm
Decisions, decisions.  The good thing is you have an engine ready for OH.  Our 182 had a strong engine with lots of hours left.  Seems like I looked at Texas Skyways as well as PPonk.  Extra HP is good for more than just cruise speed.

The Q model has a 28v system which is nice - don't know if the L can be converted or if you desire such.  There are just so many things you can do so we made a long list and tried to rank with a cost benefit.  Also asked insurance company what any impacts might be.

Some choices drag along others.  We changed so much of the avionics that a flat panel was the only option regardless of how good it looked.  (Will post some panel pics if can dig some up.)

Much of our decision making was dictated by believing that the 182 was a solid choice for us - cheap to fly, dependable, reasonable speed, nice for our 2-3 people 3-500 mile day trips to out of the way airports.  So we spent investment money rather than fix-up money.  Of course, you can justify about anything.

i really hope i can convert from my current eletrical system to more modern. the adapters are really expensive and will only continue to get worse. the economics of the situation break down to me like this.

1. this is my committment period to 653. she will be my fbird for a while.
2. when i go to get rid of her, (if pponk'd) her value will be higher or easier to sell, hopefully both, but probably not. the pponk is only going to be about $5k extra and that would payoff.
3. i am (probably) going to end up as the sole owner so i want to go as trouble free for as long as possible - pponk has higher TBO and the ECI cylinders i am considering, when regualrly flown pretty consistantly make TBO.
4. couldnt have said it better myself: 
Quotecheap to fly, dependable, reasonable speed, nice for our 2-3 people 3-500 mile day trips to out of the way airports.

Quote from: Pistol Pete on February 09, 2014, 07:56:37 pm
I'm really going to enjoy following your "diary" Jeff.
I'm not trying to HiJack your thread, but my brother is worrying me to death about upgrading our 172L. Our Lycoming E2D has about 950 hours on a 2,000 hour TBO.
He wants to install the Power Flow exhaust.
Electronic ignition to replace one mag.
Flap gap seals.
New or re-pitched prop, if they do that... our prop has about 200 hours since new.

I have a hard time believing the improvements Power Flow claims.
As a former racer, I absolutely DO believe in the advantages of electronic ignition over a mag... probably 2-5% improvement in power. I've seen it time after time.
I'm not sure these improvements compound on each other.

Good luck on your build!

please hijack away. there is a 172 here with powerflow mod. i would recommend based on what they say, but have no experience other than their opine. i would have a hard time doing it if current exhaust system is in good working condition - if it aint broke....

my cousin had to replace a mag in his cheorkee 180 a couple months ago and he keep the working mag and put an electrical ignition for redundancy. i will get his thoughts... although they may be limited as he just had his first child.  ;D

flap gap seals seems like a good idea...

Quote from: Pistol Pete on February 10, 2014, 12:01:59 pm
That pponk engine is very interesting.

yes it is... in another thread i talked about flying a pponk'd 182J that was based here in hope... last time i flew it we had 2 adults, 2 teenagers full fuel 108* and had no problem getting 1200 ft/min coming out of Marianna headed back to Hope. itsa beast - N2700F. that same plane was sold (replaced by a Cirrus BTW) and is now a jump plane.

GusMcRae

Thanks for doing this.  Should be very interesting, especially since mine is a 182K which has a 0-470R.  Meant to ask what suffix letter your engine has.  I'm a long way from TBO, but have already replaced 2 jugs in the short time I've owned my bird. 

With the p-ponk's increased hp, it sure looks like useful load would go up along with all the other performance numbers going up, but I guess that has more to do with airframe limitations.  Have you inquired about useful load increase potential?  I'd be curious to know how it affects those numbers.

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 10, 2014, 04:08:39 pm
Thanks for doing this.  Should be very interesting, especially since mine is a 182K which has a 0-470R.  Meant to ask what suffix letter your engine has.  I'm a long way from TBO, but have already replaced 2 jugs in the short time I've owned my bird.

you mentioned starting athread about it and that gave me the idea. will be very interesting to follow for me as well. especially the timeline. i am going to keep the updates in one post so it may get a little lengthy, but much easier to read. about to post update number 2.

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 10, 2014, 04:08:39 pm

With the p-ponk's increased hp, it sure looks like useful load would go up along with all the other performance numbers going up, but I guess that has more to do with airframe limitations.  Have you inquired about useful load increase potential?  I'd be curious to know how it affects those numbers.

no useful load increase. she said they decided not to pay for the stc paperwork, but the performance at gross is supposedly much better.

gotyacovered

day 1

i contacted several local (Arkansas and eastern Texas mechanics). after about 6 calls i was referred to exactly what i was looking for. he is going to come to me over the next couple weeks, or i to him, which ever works out best.

rules of the game:
1. i will let anyone know prices - if they want; however, i havent decided if i want to post yet, but i will respond to PM's. this may change. i have made my real name known on this board and am not sure i want to disclose all details.

2. these updates will not be daily, just when things happen, but i believe it will be a neat process (for me) to diary and hopefully it will benefit the 'when pigs fly' forum. i will post pics, mechanic names, and my general frustrations.

i gave the mechanic (known from here on out as DA) three things we are considering, open of course to his input (in order of consideration). as i believe you all know, i have a partner in my plane and he is very indecisive on the future of his ownership. he really wants a open cockpit pleasure aircraft. for every hour he has flown since our partnership inception, i have flown 25 ;D

Options
1. pponk
3. factory reman

the actual work will not be done (started) until May - which i am going to coincide with my annual).

day 4

prices in... i have decided to post b/c anyone can find out these figures with a little google-ing. i will also attached the detailed sheet with all the options.

the STC is actually called PPA O-470-50 Super Eagle Conversion

i called and spoke with P. Ponk Aviation directly, yesterday. the local person i have talked to is not going to be able to do the O-470-R to O-470-50 conversion.

there are two basic options for a 182. you can take a core 470 and put 520 cylinders in it or you can take a TSIO-520 and convert it to a 470-50. they will sell the TSIO-520 to 470-50 any facility for $1550, but the 470 to 520 cylinders can only be done by a P. Ponk Aviation facility, there are 11 of them, i think the closest to me is going to be:

Aero Engines of Winchester, Inc.
Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602
--or--
Lycon, Inc.
Les Switzer and Dean Altman
5117 E. Roadrunner Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85215

this is a problem.

to take my O-470-R and pponk it with FNEW ECI cylinders: $33,345.
same thing but overhauled ECI Cylinders: $31,345.
to major over haul my O-470-R with factory specs with FNEW ECI cylinders: $26,945.
same thing but overhauled ECI Cylinders: $24,945.

in short it comes down to one very simple decision: is 30 extra HP, 200 more hours TBO, better take off performance, minimal cruise increase worth $6400?

and for the record, my -R engine cost and extra $3800 b/c they have (generally speaking--wont know until they get in there) a 2 counterweight crankshaft instead of the required 4 counterweight crank. anyone that has a 182 with the 4 counter weighted crank would be crazy not to pponk, IMO. it becomes a value buy at that point. increase performance lower fuel burn (at equal 470 factory power settings) only at a cost of $2250. that extra 3800 makes it it hard on me b/c i know i am going to need a new oil cooler, additional carb work and there surely will be other unexpected pop ups.

still processing all of this, will post again when i have more info.

Attached:
-50 Basic information sheet
-50 Authorized builders

[attachment deleted by admin]

john c

Don't want to be Debby Downer on the engine conversion and I won't say more on this after this unless you ask.  If you PPonk are you going to upgrade the prop?  Engine upgrade with no prop upgrade?  Performance increases with or without prop upgrade?  Engine and prop changes bring performance up but what about airframe changes that provide some boost, such as cleaning up the airflow a little - gap seals, fairings etc.  More airspeed, more wind noise?   Also, what about other changes that make ALL the time spent in the air more enjoyable, such as thicker windscreen, air inlets, sound insulation, better audio panel, EI gauges, stereo intercom, etc.? 

Let's face it, the 182 is a great airplane as it is, so you aren't going to go from bad to good only pretty darn good to a little better.  Seems like I remember, when talking about the engine/prop upgrades that quite a few of the conversions were going to higher altitude based or special use aircraft.  When you run the block to block time, the real time increase is in cruise so how many minutes do you save on your normal mission - throw out the odd trips.  And, cruise time is limited to bathroom needs if there is a mixed group on board or you are a VERY close group.  (Thinking about us sending the Seneca with 4 women (wives/friends) to Dallas shopping and our company pilot letting them load up at a Mexican restaurant just prior to takeoff - only took about 100 miles before they were feeling the effects of all the iced tea and, well, the pilot didn't want to talk about what went on and neither did my wife but the girls all howl when it's brought up.)

In any event, don't get fixated on the engine even if major time is close.  Suppose there was no conversion available how would you feel about your bird?  Where could you spend the money for other benefits?  You may have seen this website and the article listed at the bottom.  Our Skylane was just fine with stock engine and prop.  But the other mods really made it nice to fly.

http://www.moonflight.org/Documents/Skylane%20Mods.htm

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on February 11, 2014, 12:05:40 pm
Don't want to be Debby Downer on the engine conversion and I won't say more on this after this unless you ask.  If you PPonk are you going to upgrade the prop?  Engine upgrade with no prop upgrade?  Performance increases with or without prop upgrade?  Engine and prop changes bring performance up but what about airframe changes that provide some boost, such as cleaning up the airflow a little - gap seals, fairings etc.  More airspeed, more wind noise?   Also, what about other changes that make ALL the time spent in the air more enjoyable, such as thicker windscreen, air inlets, sound insulation, better audio panel, EI gauges, stereo intercom, etc.? 

Don't worry about beign debbie downer, at all...

I have no intention of a prop change, I may have to, but I would rather see how it goes with 2 blades. The pponk community is pretty split. I have the option to keep my stock prop. From what I understand the 3 blade further improves climb rate but hurts cruise speed.

Let's face it, the 182 is a great airplane as it is, so you aren't going to go from bad to good only pretty darn good to a little better.  Seems like I remember, when talking about the engine/prop upgrades that quite a few of the conversions were going to higher altitude based or special use aircraft.  When you run the block to block time, the real time increase is in cruise so how many minutes do you save on your normal mission - throw out the odd trips.  And, cruise time is limited to bathroom needs if there is a mixed group on board or you are a VERY close group.  (Thinking about us sending the Seneca with 4 women (wives/friends) to Dallas shopping and our company pilot letting them load up at a Mexican restaurant just prior to takeoff - only took about 100 miles before they were feeling the effects of all the iced tea and, well, the pilot didn't want to talk about what went on and neither did my wife but the girls all howl when it's brought up.)

Haha, good stuff. You are exactly right, a 182 is what it is! with the right engine on the front end of the converstion the Modification of O-470 to PPA O-470-50 is only (approx) $2250 more than a "factory spec" overhaul. Unfortuantly I have a -R engine and that adds another $3800. and you are point out my exact conflict... is $6400 worth minimal cruise, 200 increase in TBO and same fuel burn at equal power settings and improved climb?

In any event, don't get fixated on the engine even if major time is close.  Suppose there was no conversion available how would you feel about your bird?  Where could you spend the money for other benefits?  You may have seen this website and the article listed at the bottom.  Our Skylane was just fine with stock engine and prop.  But the other mods really made it nice to fly.
http://www.moonflight.org/Documents/Skylane%20Mods.htm

That is a good website. I think an upgraded engine will help the value in the future, could be wrong. And to answer your question, yes. I would put that money elsewhere but I haven't really thought about until you mentioned. I want to slap a GNS650 in there... $16.9k! (with a new audio panel) and a new head unit.

I am forced to fixate on the engine now. It set too long. Wear is up, oil consumtion is up... if the compressions where still 58-72 and staying there, I would already have her in the shop. This is what I am planning now so I can deal with it at annual, in May. My days are limited.

GusMcRae

I may be playing the devil's advocate here, but if you haven't thought about this already, maybe you should,,,,,

You're looking at roughly $47k in engine and avionics upgrades.  If you're planning on keeping 653 for a long, long, long time, then I could see possibly going forward with that plan. 

However, especially if you're going to trade up to something else in the not too distant future,,,,, would you not be money ahead to take your plane's worth as is, plus $47k and trade up into another newer 182 with way better avionics and an engine with a whole lot of life left in it (maybe even one that already has a bigger engine)?  There are a ton of 182s for sale.   I realize the partnership deal stickies the deal up even more. 

It just seems that a guy could never get his money back after such an upgrade.  I think I would have to lean more towards letting someone else take the hickey for an upgrade they did, but didn't keep the plane long enough to realize their investment. 

I'm not that attached to mine.  It's a little rough around the edges, original paint, a little hangar rash and such that almost 50 years of existence will do, interior is ok, fairly low time engine and a decent Garmin stack, AP without altitude hold.  I can't see sinking that kind of money in her if I were at or beyond TBO.  $47,500 is what she cost 2 years ago. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 11, 2014, 02:45:53 pm
I may be playing the devil's advocate here, but if you haven't thought about this already, maybe you should,,,,,

You're looking at roughly $47k in engine and avionics upgrades.  If you're planning on keeping 653 for a long, long, long time, then I could see possibly going forward with that plan. 

However, especially if you're going to trade up to something else in the not too distant future,,,,, would you not be money ahead to take your plane's worth as is, plus $47k and trade up into another newer 182 with way better avionics and an engine with a whole lot of life left in it (maybe even one that already has a bigger engine)?  There are a ton of 182s for sale.   I realize the partnership deal stickies the deal up even more. 

It just seems that a guy could never get his money back after such an upgrade.  I think I would have to lean more towards letting someone else take the hickey for an upgrade they did, but didn't keep the plane long enough to realize their investment. 

I'm not that attached to mine.  It's a little rough around the edges, original paint, a little hangar rash and such that almost 50 years of existence will do, interior is ok, fairly low time engine and a decent Garmin stack, AP without altitude hold.  I can't see sinking that kind of money in her if I were at or beyond TBO.  $47,500 is what she cost 2 years ago. 

All great points, gus. I am slightly attached to 653. her interior is rough, but great paint and the airframe has been owned by my partern in one form or another for the last 28 years. The individual he bought it from in 1986? Know him too... tach reads 2591.25. (that includes the 326 hours I have put on her). In other words, I know exactly what I have.

Also, I currently own 50% of 653... we are going to get out head knocked off selling her as is, but he really just wants out--he just doesn't use it. We cannot decide if buying him out would be pre or post engine swap, but either way we will be a) discounting his 50% of the engine overhaul from the acquisition cost of his share or b)he gets to pay for 1/2 of the overhaul. At first this doesn't seem equitable, but remember, of the total time on engine he still has far exceeded my use. The engine 1459 SMOH of shich only 326 is mine. I guess I say all that to say... I will have post engine change roughly $54k in her. If I were to leave her interior alone, with a 0 SMOH I could easily get that back plus some, no? please correct me if I am off.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 11, 2014, 03:16:01 pm
I know exactly what I have.

I will have post engine change roughly $54k in her. If I were to leave her interior alone, with a 0 SMOH I could easily get that back plus some, no? please correct me if I am off.

Knowing exactly what you have is worth a lot. 

You're probably right on being able to come out on it if you don't keep her.  Avionics will weigh pretty heavy in the deal.  I can't remember if you have AP or not? 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 12, 2014, 08:07:43 am
Knowing exactly what you have is worth a lot. 

You're probably right on being able to come out on it if you don't keep her.  Avionics will weigh pretty heavy in the deal.  I can't remember if you have AP or not? 

i PROBABLY will not upgrade avionics until a) engine upgrade is paid for b) take on a partner. which i am looking for...

i dont have my a/p, nor do i have one (or and AI) on the field.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 12, 2014, 09:46:47 am
i PROBABLY will not upgrade avionics until a) engine upgrade is paid for b) take on a partner. which i am looking for...

i dont have my a/p, nor do i have one (or and AI) on the field.

AP - Auto-pilot.  Don't remember if 653 has it or not.  The guys that were helping me decide when I was shopping stressed looking for a good stack and auto-pilot.  Advised me to choose avionics over aesthetics. 
Sorry for over-using acronyms. 

The A&P situation at my home base is not good either. 
Reason for me doing as much as I can myself with A&P helping. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 12, 2014, 09:58:51 am
AP - Auto-pilot.  Don't remember if 653 has it or not.  The guys that were helping me decide when I was shopping stressed looking for a good stack and auto-pilot.  Advised me to choose avionics over aesthetics. 
Sorry for over-using acronyms. 

The A&P situation at my home base is not good either. 
Reason for me doing as much as I can myself with A&P helping. 

haha, negative on auto pilot, also. yep, my airplane is set up for long range and no AP, dont understand!!!!

gotyacovered

day 1

i contacted several local (Arkansas and eastern Texas mechanics). after about 6 calls i was referred to exactly what i was looking for. he is going to come to me over the next couple weeks, or i to him, which ever works out best.

rules of the game:

Options
1. pponk
3. factory reman

day 4

prices in... i have decided to post b/c anyone can find out these figures with a little google-ing. i will also attached the detailed sheet with all the options.

i called and spoke with P. Ponk Aviation directly, yesterday. the local person i have talked to is not going to be able to do the O-470-R to O-470-50 conversion.

there are two basic options for a 182. you can take a core 470 and put 520 cylinders in it or you can take a TSIO-520 and convert it to a 470-50. they will sell the TSIO-520 to 470-50 any facility for $1550, but the 470 to 520 cylinders can only be done by a P. Ponk Aviation facility, there are 11 of them, i think the closest to me is going to be:

Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602
--or--
Lycon, Inc.
5117 E. Roadrunner Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85215

this is a problem.

to major over haul my O-470-R with factory specs with FNEW ECI cylinders: $26,945.

in short it comes down to one very simple decision: is 30 extra HP, 200 more hours TBO, better take off performance, minimal cruise increase worth $6400?

and for the record, my -R engine cost and extra $3800 b/c they have (generally speaking--wont know until they get in there) a 2 counterweight crankshaft instead of the required 4 counterweight crank. anyone that has a 182 with the 4 counter weighted crank would be crazy not to pponk, IMO. it becomes a value buy at that point. increase performance lower fuel burn (at equal 470 factory power settings) only at a cost of $2250. that extra 3800 makes it it hard on me b/c i know i am going to need a new oil cooler, additional carb work and there surely will be other unexpected pop ups.

Attached:
-50 Authorized builders

day 21

decision made... kinda.

we are going to pponk.  8) i am excited. still up in the air as to the TSIO-520 to a 470-50 or 470-R to 470-50. depends on the 520 core availability. going with new ECI cylinders. prob toss in a engine monitor of some sort while we are at it. staying with the factory two blade. that was the overall recommendation for best of both worlds. if money was not object, probably upgrade to the 3 blade for better climb and they look cooler. supposedly getting some written estimates this week, will keep you guys updated.

just flew out to New Mexico and back, have tons of pics and videos i will post later.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 24, 2014, 12:01:20 pm

and for the record, my -R engine cost and extra $3800 decision made... kinda.

we are going to pponk.  8) i am excited. still up in the air as to the TSIO-520 to a 470-50 or 470-R to 470-50. depends on the 520 core availability. going with new ECI cylinders. prob toss in a engine monitor of some sort while we are at it. staying with the factory two blade. that was the overall recommendation for best of both worlds. if money was not object, probably upgrade to the 3 blade for better climb and they look cooler. supposedly getting some written estimates this week, will keep you guys updated.

just flew out to New Mexico and back, have tons of pics and videos i will post later.

That is exciting.
I do believe the 30 extra HP, 200 more hours TBO, better take off performance, minimal cruise increase would be worth the $6400.

If I still have my 182 at TBO or an unfortunate earlier than TBO MOH, I would be looking at the $3800 extra as well, I'm sure.  Mine is a O-470R too, and I seriously doubt it has anything other than the 2 counterweight crankshaft.

By the TTAF, I'm assuming that 653's 0-470R has been overhauled once in her life, and the original core is what's in there now?  I'd probably be leaning towards keeping it as opposed to opting for the 520 core.  Some more of that "you know what you have" mentality I suppose. 

As tired as she is, sounds like you made it fine one more time in and out of the high country with 4 on board. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 24, 2014, 04:07:46 pm
That is exciting.
I do believe the 30 extra HP, 200 more hours TBO, better take off performance, minimal cruise increase would be worth the $6400.

agreed, as i looked and looked and looked at all the options it just made sense... here was my logic:

Assuming the following for P.Ponk engine at $35,000 and 2000 TBO:
35,000 engine
2500    annual
650      insurance
1320    hangar
840      IFR cert/696 updates/monthly fees
$40310            total
$20.10 per hour

Assuming the following for factory 0470R and 1800 TBO
30,000 engine
2500    annual
650      insurance
1320    hangar
840      IFR cert/696 updates/monthly fees
35310 total
$19.61 per hour

.48c/hour worth the increased performance? we decided yes. and they claim on the website that b/c the engine get better performance on the same power settings the fuel burn per mile will also help offset the cost. i didnt factor that in.

If I still have my 182 at TBO or an unfortunate earlier than TBO MOH, I would be looking at the $3800 extra as well, I'm sure.  Mine is a O-470R too, and I seriously doubt it has anything other than the 2 counterweight crankshaft.

probably so. we are probably going to exchange our once overhauled 470 core for a never overhauled 520 and do that. the cost of that will be offset b/c we will no longer be required to buy the 4 weighted crank.

By the TTAF, I'm assuming that 653's 0-470R has been overhauled once in her life, and the original core is what's in there now?  I'd probably be leaning towards keeping it as opposed to opting for the 520 core.  Some more of that "you know what you have" mentality I suppose.   

so you already i didnt read this comment until i typed above, sorry for any redundancy. 653 has been overhauled and topped... the core exchange program is a never overhauled engine. so i will swap out a engine that has at least 1000 hours less than mine. hope we dont regret it.

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 24, 2014, 04:07:46 pmAs tired as she is, sounds like you made it fine one more time in and out of the high country with 4 on board. 

she did awesome. if she wasnt drinking oil faster than a stripper drinks vodka, i wouldnt even be considering a new engine at this point. think i put in 5 qts for my KRTN trip :o ;D

i was over gross, probably close to 100lbs and got 400fpm on climb out thru the first 2500ft. i think DA was about field elevation. that climb from 10.2 to 11.5 was brutal. 200fpm.

i had a good tailwind coming back yesterday, about 3.8 hours on ~600nm; that includes a VFR OVC avoidance where i basically flew KRTN - KSLR - M18. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653

gus--next time you are out and about, i would like you to test something for me. my dad keeps telling me i have been babying the engine to much and on the way out when i had enough i ran her 23MP/2300RPM and my engine ran COOLER than my normal ops (22/22 or 21/22). fuel burn for the trip out was 13.2 but the first 60-70 miles was under a OVC layer out of Kickapoo at 3900ft, i then climbed to 8500ft. i went from m18 to kickapoo at 4500ft 23/23 and it was 12.6...
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653/history/20140219/1300Z/KCWC/KRTN

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 24, 2014, 05:36:49 pm
gus--next time you are out and about, i would like you to test something for me. my dad keeps telling me i have been babying the engine to much and on the way out when i had enough i ran her 23MP/2300RPM and my engine ran COOLER than my normal ops (22/22 or 21/22). fuel burn for the trip out was 13.2 but the first 60-70 miles was under a OVC layer out of Kickapoo at 3900ft, i then climbed to 8500ft. i went from m18 to kickapoo at 4500ft 23/23 and it was 12.6...
It may be a little while since my bird is going under the knife with this prop deal.  However, if this helps, I have been running higher MP and RPM during the break-in period for this new cylinder (23/23 or even higher, first few hours were more like 25/25)and I really haven't noticed a lot of difference in temps.  I usually run 21/22, and I do recall my CFI telling me awhile back that that was a little lower than what he liked to run. 

Kickapoo!  You were right in my back yard.  CWC is where we go to take our written tests.  Supposed to have decent mx there too, I've not tried them.  You went right over my home base 45 miles after departing CWC.  Why that route for y'all this time?

That's good that they use low core time engines for that exchange program.  Sounds like you've done your research. 

$40k doesn't sound so bad if you say it really fast.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 25, 2014, 09:28:15 am
It may be a little while since my bird is going under the knife with this prop deal.  However, if this helps, I have been running higher MP and RPM during the break-in period for this new cylinder (23/23 or even higher, first few hours were more like 25/25)and I really haven't noticed a lot of difference in temps.  I usually run 21/22, and I do recall my CFI telling me awhile back that that was a little lower than what he liked to run. 

Kickapoo!  You were right in my back yard.  CWC is where we go to take our written tests.  Supposed to have decent mx there too, I've not tried them.  You went right over my home base 45 miles after departing CWC.  Why that route for y'all this time?

That's good that they use low core time engines for that exchange program.  Sounds like you've done your research. 

$40k doesn't sound so bad if you say it really fast.

yep, forgot about the prop, sorry (in more ways than one).

it was prob 25-50 degs cooler. very interesting. both are well within POH ops.

there was a forecast for fog at m18 2/19 (was planning on departing m18 5am) until at least noon, which was when we wanted to pull into RR. so we decided rather than risk a delayed departure we left 2/18 after work. i just picked a spot with good accommodations as close to the route as possible without much deviation, yet still good prices. plus, i had to see what a place called kickapoo looked like ;D

$40k def looks better than $40,000, i do know that!!!!! :puke:

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 25, 2014, 11:56:26 am

there was a forecast for fog at m18 2/19 (was planning on departing m18 5am) until at least noon, which was when we wanted to pull into RR. so we decided rather than risk a delayed departure we left 2/18 after work. i just picked a spot with good accommodations as close to the route as possible without much deviation, yet still good prices. plus, i had to see what a place called kickapoo looked like ;D

You weren't too far from Possum Kingdom either..... another 50 or so miles south.

Kickapoo was an Indian tribe.  There's a little lake there close, by that name as well. 

john c

And a high school in Springfield.

GusMcRae

Gotya,
Saw your post on the red board.  I seldom post or even comment on stuff over there, but I do occasionally lurk and read the threads on topics that interest me. 
Seems that there's always some a$$wipe on there busting someone's balls for trivial crap, that may or may not be related to the topic. 
I like it over here.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 28, 2014, 09:30:02 am
Gotya,
Saw your post on the red board.  I seldom post or even comment on stuff over there, but I do occasionally lurk and read the threads on topics that interest me. 
Seems that there's always some a$$wipe on there busting someone's balls for trivial crap, that may or may not be related to the topic. 
I like it over here.

yep, bradz and i have a pretty good e-relationship. we pm back and forth about various stuff, he was just digging at me. but that other jackwagon just got ignored.

over here is MUCH more fun. i like reading the first page or two of never again stuff, when they start arguing i am done. its the webs biggest conglomeration of ego's.

flyer23d has made a comment in ever thread, ever, about mogas. seems like hw ould get over it, but nawp, never does.

there is a lot of info over there that is very useful.

gotyacovered

March 04, 2014, 09:32:56 pm #29 Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:25:20 pm by gotyacovered
day 1

rules of the game:

Options
1. pponk
3. factory reman

day 4

Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602
--or--
Lycon, Inc.
5117 E. Roadrunner Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85215

this is a problem.

Attached:
-50 Authorized builders

day 21

decision made... kinda.

day 29

dropping my bird off tomorrow with log books to get and official written estimate. picking it up sunday, wish me..... luck?

BTW gonna be in Nashville if anyone is around there i will take a beer ;D deserve it for driving.

GusMcRae

Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602

Dropping off at this place or where?

Maybe I missed it but I don't think I ever saw the verdict of which shop. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 05, 2014, 08:01:30 am
Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602

Dropping off at this place or where?

Maybe I missed it but I don't think I ever saw the verdict of which shop. 

No... Having the shop in Little Rock give price (in writing) on the 520 to 470-50 conversion. If it the same $$$ gonna go with that. If not, I am going to do the 470-R to 470-50 swap and my Little Rock guy will pull my engine and ship it out and hang new one on. His shop is at 1AR9 just east of KLIT.

600ovc and 5 at KLIT so not going anywhere for a while. Ugh.

gotyacovered

day 1

rules of the game:

Options
1. pponk
3. factory reman

day 4

Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602
--or--
Lycon, Inc.
5117 E. Roadrunner Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85215

this is a problem.

Attached:
-50 Authorized builders

day 21

decision made... kinda.

day 29

dropping my bird off tomorrow with log books to get and official written estimate. picking it up sunday, wish me..... luck?

BTW gonna be in Nashville if anyone is around there i will take a beer ;D deserve it for driving.

day 30

Official estimate is in....

:crickets:

GusMcRae

That sounds like the deal to me.  Getting several additional items taken care of and less than $40k. 

john c

If you're confidant in the shop you would probably spend more money doing more looking than what you might save.  If so, take the safety off cause it sounds like you are ready to pull the trigger.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 06, 2014, 09:33:19 am
That sounds like the deal to me.  Getting several additional items taken care of and less than $40k. 

updated prices will get real close to busting 40. he left off a EI engine analyzer and carb temp gauge. cost+$400 for install. yep, wasnt really figuring in the prop stuff originally. guess might as well handle it while there. he is also going to annual it. it goes on and on ;D

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on March 06, 2014, 12:19:44 pm
If you're confidant in the shop you would probably spend more money doing more looking than what you might save.  If so, take the safety off cause it sounds like you are ready to pull the trigger.

i am cautiously confident in the shop, 92nd west aviation, inc. located at 1AR9 just outside of LIT charlie in Lonoke. have heard all good things and his shop is very nice/clean.

if it were strictly up to me it would be sitting there already ;D

gotyacovered

Full update to come, but for a tease.... EI UBG-16 engine analyzer and FP-5L fuel flow computer acquired...

http://buy-ei.com/portfolio/fp-5-l/
http://buy-ei.com/portfolio/ubg-16-ultimate-bar-graph/

john c

I put similar EI instruments on our 182 (several years ago) and liked them quite well.  It also had a data download feature.  And, if my memory is correct, a shock cooling warning.  Never had any trouble with them except for replacing a probe now and then.  Also EI seemed like a very good company.

Would be cool if the low fuel warning could be relayed to a recordable voice annunciator that might give several messages.  First:  You did fuel up didn't you?  Second:  How are we doing on fuel?  Third:  Uh, checka the go juice!  Fourth:  One of us needs to find the closest fuel station.  Last:  WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

A proactive Siri-type copilot that was connected to all the instruments and data sources.

GusMcRae

Can the UBG-16 be used to replace the MP and tach instruments? 

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on April 03, 2014, 11:01:41 am
I put similar EI instruments on our 182 (several years ago) and liked them quite well.  It also had a data download feature.  And, if my memory is correct, a shock cooling warning.  Never had any trouble with them except for replacing a probe now and then.  Also EI seemed like a very good company.

Would be cool if the low fuel warning could be relayed to a recordable voice annunciator that might give several messages.  First:  You did fuel up didn't you?  Second:  How are we doing on fuel?  Third:  Uh, checka the go juice!  Fourth:  One of us needs to find the closest fuel station.  Last:  WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

A proactive Siri-type copilot that was connected to all the instruments and data sources.

haha good stuff :)

flying into KHOT and 7M2 always trip me out... my female on the 696... who sounds very similar to siri says TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP, PULL UP over and over again. i always thought it was funny that they didnt put some more 'color' into it... after about the 4th time i would expect, 'i am so tired of you never listening to me' or 'you are so insensitve' etc ;D

i really like the EI stuff. dad has the MVP in his Expedition and it AWESOME.

what i am installing is light years ahead of what i have now and i am excited about it. i did get teh data recording stuff... do you just hook it up to your laptop?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 03, 2014, 11:20:24 am
Can the UBG-16 be used to replace the MP and tach instruments? 

no... they have models that do... but i didnt buy it, the cost goes up quick.

john c

Looked at the MVP - Wow!  Talk about uncluttering the panel.

I never downloaded my EI stuff but the mechanics did.  I figured if there was a problem they would let me know.  And unless there was something clear that said "Cylinder 4 is about to blow" I wouldn't know how to interpret the data, anyway.  Where we hangared they did all the maintenance, period.  If the plane was on their field (private 3DW) they controlled the repairs.  If they said it needed this or that you simply had them do it (or the person they approved of) or moved the plane.  Sounds worse than it was.

gotyacovered

day 1

rules of the game:

Options
1. pponk
3. factory reman

day 4

Tom Schwietz
615 Airport Road #109
Winchester, VA 22602
--or--
Lycon, Inc.
5117 E. Roadrunner Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85215

this is a problem.

Attached:
-50 Authorized builders

day 21

decision made... kinda.

day 29

day 30

Official estimate is in....

day 60

welp... been an interesting couple weeks. as previously noted i acquired a engine analyzer (UBG-16) and a fuel flow computer (EI FP-5) for a total of $1087. also since last update discovered i will def save some money on the exhaust since it was replace at annual 2 years ago. got the financial side of it taken care of, except for the actual writing of the check, which is the "start sign" for the mech, so i guess it hasnt officially begun. with any luck it'll start this week and stay under forty. we shall see.

the most recent hold up... i wasnt very brushed up on FAR 47.3 and have been flying a unregistered/expired registration (therefore un-airworthy) airplane since 09/2011  :( :o long, long story that i am not going to post on the interwebz. also--note that i got my PPL checkride in this plane and the examiner didnt out of caution i filed a NASA report and already have my pink slip. the FAA paperwork is unbelievable and i sincerely hope the automatic 90 days is enough time to get it properly registered.

from delivery to mx shop, timeline is as follows:
-Machine shop turn-around time (Tulsa) runs about 4 weeks
-a week to gather parts and a week to assemble
-2 weeks to mate it with plane and annual it.

so best case i am looking at about 7 weeks. i will post the day i 'give the word'

wish me luck.

john c

Good Luck!

Might have missed it but is the work going to be done at your home field or away?

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on April 07, 2014, 02:50:58 pm
Good Luck!

Might have missed it but is the work going to be done at your home field or away?

away... 92nd west aviation inc just outside of lonoke... 1AR9. anyone wanna give me a ride back to m18??? ;D

Pistol Pete

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 07, 2014, 04:51:31 pm
away... 92nd west aviation inc just outside of lonoke... 1AR9. anyone wanna give me a ride back to m18??? ;D
I'd be happy to give you a lift if I'm free... always loking for a reason to fly!

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on April 07, 2014, 10:54:08 pm
I'd be happy to give you a lift if I'm free... always loking for a reason to fly!

sounds like a plan. i really think my dad will be able to handle it, but you just got put on the list!!! i have your number!!!

gotyacovered

April 10, 2014, 12:46:57 pm #48 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:21:02 pm by gotyacovered
add a little wrinkle into the deal...

the storms that passed thru SWAR (really all of AR) last week (4/4) hit our hangar pretty hard... my airplane was parked in the wrong spot... got dinged up. taking it to the paint shop before i drop it off for enging upgrade to see if they can touch it up or if it needs alotta new paint. its all cosmetic with the exception of corrosion/peeling potential in the future.

pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qlzrrqp354jkdx/4S3cflh5-E

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 10, 2014, 12:46:57 pm
add a little wrinkle into the deal...

the storms that passed thru SWAR (really all of AR) last week (4/4) hit our hangar pretty hard... my airplane was parked in the wrong spot... got dinged up. taking it to the paint shop before i drop it off for enging upgrade to see if they can touch it up or if it needs alotta new paint. its all cosmetic with the exception of corrosion/peeling potential in the future.

pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qlzrrqp354jkdx/4S3cflh5-E

Dang,,, sorry to hear about that. 
I'll have to look at the picks later.  Blocked.