Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Samford

Started by Sho Nuff, November 10, 2017, 01:43:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sho Nuff

What do we know about them?  Will this be a stiff test?

PorkRinds

I think it's likely that we drop this game. Our group is young an inexperienced and may take some time to gel.

HoopS

Veteran team. Gonna be tough.

ADavisTheGOAT

November 10, 2017, 01:53:12 pm #3 Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:08:29 pm by ADavisTheGOAT
Should be a good matchup
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Razorod

If we are 0-2, we could be in some trouble regarding the NCAA's.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

niels_boar

Sanford is capable of winning this game. Fans need to show up and make BWA a very hostile environment.  Else, don't complain about home losses to quality teams.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

navyhog24

These first 3 games will be tough until we at least get Dustin Thomas back. He doesnt do much, but he does provide at least one more body and depth on the already shallow front line.

bigred223

We better get back on D tonight.

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

King Kong

Samford can win. Especially if we play like we did in the last exhibition game.

However, do not expect us to lose

Hawg Red

Projected to win their conference and bring back their top 6 players (or something like that). We have a short bench tonight. Combine these factors and we just need to get a win here. This isn't a cupcake.

hobhog

I will not be happy if we drop this game. Samford? Really?

I don't care about their experience, transfers, or whatever. If they come into BWA and beat us with our returning guards and talent it will be a bad start to the season, resulting in low attendance and questions of MA's future.

We DO NOT need to lose this game. Period.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hobhog on November 10, 2017, 02:57:03 pm

I don't care about their experience, transfers, or whatever. If they come into BWA and beat us with our returning guards and talent it will be a bad start to the season, resulting in low attendance and questions of MA's future.

Agreed.

But they are the type of team that ruins opening night for high-major programs experiencing things like a short bench and/or injuries. Our schedule is really tough this year, so we can't afford to lose to Samford even though they are a really good low-major.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

we will be 2-0 by Monday morning.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

bjeffersonhog

Losing to Samford would be disappointing, but this is like a 6/11 matchup in the tournament come March.  The same 6/11 matchup that if the team they were playing wasn't named Arkansas you might pick as an upset on your bracket.  I think Arkansas wins tonight as long as they can control the tempo,  and make their free throws. A win tonight will look when March comes around.  Definitely need to win 1 of the first 2 though.

Danny J

Gonna be tough...if we come out playing our normal switching man to man I am gonna pull my hair out

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 02:48:24 pm
Projected to win their conference and bring back their top 6 players (or something like that). We have a short bench tonight. Combine these factors and we just need to get a win here. This isn't a cupcake.

I agree with you. This may very well be a tough one tonight.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

navyhog24

These early games will be a good early learning test for the Hogs before they head off to the PK80.

Dropkick

Betting line is 10 to 11 points (Hogs favored)

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: Dropkick on November 10, 2017, 03:51:27 pm
Betting line is 10 to 11 points (Hogs favored)
If I was in Vegas I would take Samford and the points. Hogs by 8 at the most imo

Adam Stokes

Glad to see that no one here is looking past this team. The amazing thing is, of all the non-con teams we play this year, Samford had the second worst RPI at 170. Going to be a lot of tough games before conference play.

TX HOG

Tickets would be available outside BWA?

bjeffersonhog

TX HOG

Birminghog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 10, 2017, 02:25:10 pm
I think there was a show called Samford and son.    But I didn't realize he had a team.   ;)

Lol. I used to be on faculty there. We were on TV maybe once or twice a year, and I wish I had $$ for every time the media personality called us Sanford, Stamford, or Stanford. We really didn't mind being confused with Stanford and wished that our endowment was confused with theirs.

niels_boar

Quote from: hobhog on November 10, 2017, 02:57:03 pm

A loss in game 1 to anybody is a bad start.  But really?  Game 1 against a team that has a shot to win their conference is a referendum on MA's future.  Good lord.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hobhog

Quote from: niels_boar on November 10, 2017, 04:07:03 pm
A loss in game 1 to anybody is a bad start.  But really?  Game 1 against a team that has a shot to win their conference is a referendum on MA's future.  Good lord.

MA needs to get off to a good start or it will affect attitudes going into a season. The attendance/anger last year was enough for some to question his future, and he thankfully got on a late season roll. A loss to SAMFORD would not help his cause.

That being said, I think we win by 10+.

Brake

I'm so tired of hearing this team has to gel because of new pieces. We literally have 2 new players on the court to start the year out. I am worried though because of having three of our players out.

Albert Swinestein

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 02:48:24 pm

Coaches in their conference predict MERCER winning the conference.
Media predicts FURMAN winning the conference.
Team Rankings predicts ETSU winning the conference.

Albert Swinestein

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on November 10, 2017, 03:26:45 pm
Losing to Samford would be disappointing, but this is like a 6/11 matchup in the tournament come March.  The same 6/11 matchup that if the team they were playing wasn't named Arkansas you might pick as an upset on your bracket.  I think Arkansas wins tonight as long as they can control the tempo,  and make their free throws. A win tonight will look when March comes around.  Definitely need to win 1 of the first 2 though.

Possibly, but Samford has only made 2 NCAA Tournament appearances in their program history.  Those were in 1999 and 2000.  They have been a 13 and 14 seed.  Lost in first round both times.  So being compared to a 11 seed would be all-time great status for them

Temprees

Is this game televised?

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

Pork Ranger

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on November 10, 2017, 01:53:12 pm
We're going to be 0-2 after Sunday.

🙄  As we are up 30 points.

hogfooey

Quote from: Razorod on November 10, 2017, 01:54:21 pm
If we are 0-2, we could be in some trouble regarding the NCAA's.
LOL, did you put too much stock in exhibition games?

Oops, that was meant for ADavisTheGOAT
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Fan701

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 01:45:31 pm
I think it's likely that we drop this game. Our group is young an inexperienced and may take some time to gel.
Well, I thought it might be a tough game, too. What was I thinking!  This is the longest, most athletic team MA has had here, and we've got Macon, and they don't.  Impressive so far, especially with three guys not available.

Ray Piggers

Good calls all around by the prognosticators 😂😂
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Hawg Red

Quote from: Albert Swinestein on November 10, 2017, 05:06:32 pm
Coaches in their conference predict MERCER winning the conference.
Media predicts FURMAN winning the conference.
Team Rankings predicts ETSU winning the conference.

Well, my Lindy's magazine has Samford. Sue me.

Hawg Red

Gotta love the effort and energy out of the gate for the Hogs. Very good sign. The chicken littles worried about the season after a couple exhibitions can calm down now.

bjeffersonhog

Shooting 60% from the field and over 50% from 3. They are playing lights out right now. 

King Kong

Some of the best defense I have seen us play

Lady Razorback

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 01:45:31 pm

What are you thinking about now?

hawg4life2202

ShadowHawg

Quote from: King Kong on November 10, 2017, 07:54:32 pm
Some of the best defense I have seen us play

Agree. I was very worried after the exhibition games.

Best man team MA's had since coming here.

Fan701

Well, it was a bold prediction.  Not close to being right.  I'm now officially excited about this year.  Samford is supposed to be pretty good, but it looks like men against boys out there.  Anderson has got some nice pieces this year, might be his best team ever.

TebowHater

LOL at the beginning of this thread, wow.

hoglady

Well - the Hogs look pretty good to me tonight.
Play hard, shoot well, run the floor well and are hitting the boards.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pork Ranger

YtownHog

rwspear

just gonna go ahead and leave this here