Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama now also under investigation by NCAA...

Started by mmhogs17, July 20, 2010, 05:52:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhogs17

Their returning All-American DE Marcel Dareus is under investigation for supposedly having contact with and Agent. Their are rumors that another Bama player is also in on this..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5396236

taintlint

They self-reported and Saban is screaming from the mountain tops all of his ways to solve this nation-wide problem.

Nothing to see here, unless we all want to discuss a dead end story.

mmhogs17

Lol at Saban for saying they should ban NFL teams from coming on campus, and he said last year he supports it.  lol

Torqued pork

July 20, 2010, 06:20:44 pm #3 Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:39:42 am by Bubbaswinestein
Rule abiding agents are supposedly squealing on rogue agents, so who knows how deep and dark this may get. This could be nothing more than a small midsummer distraction or it could turn into a scandal that rocks college football to its core.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 06:28:09 pm
Rumor is Dre Kirkpatrick has been suspended for the year. Their defense is getting worse off as the days go by.
They'll still beat you again. ;D
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

staffhog

I'm still sick about hearing this kind of stuff, no matter who it involves.

If you through a rope to someone drowning, they are going to grab it.

tell the nfl "don't come looking until a student athlete is 22 years of age".  This will give the kids a different goal to persue.

bodagetta

nevermind...mods delete/move this

mmhogs17

Ouch.... Dareus is most likely gone he admitted to taking money from an NFL agent and said there was at least 9 other high profile SEC players there...

deshahawg

This is great to hear. I hope we can keep our noses clean and destroy bama this year.

mmhogs17

This means Alabama will have an all new defense...

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: mmhogs17 on July 20, 2010, 07:13:35 pm
Ouch.... Dareus is most likely gone he admitted to taking money from an NFL agent and said there was at least 9 other high profile SEC players there...

How do SEC schools stop this. Most of these young men have had nothing in there lives , and a suit and tie shows a huge roll of money? How do ( we ) SEC get a handle on it?
I will never applaud a fellow SEC program getting hammered by the NAZI NCAA .
The SEC programs can not keep a watch out 24 hrs a day . If it is proven he took money as did the other 8 or 9 players. Bench them all! Or let them go. I sure hope even the other players are not guilty. But what can we do as a program?
This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever,leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain,not loss-good, not evil. Success,not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.
Kept in the wallet of Paul William Bryant.

WilsonHog

July 20, 2010, 07:38:12 pm #12 Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:40:07 pm by WilsonHog
I've come to believe that the only thing keeping most every school off probation is the lack of an investigation.

Too many rules + boosters looking to jock sniff + players from low socioeconomic backgrounds = a recipe for disaster.

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: Hawg2011 on July 20, 2010, 07:34:35 pm
I agree with Rolltide.

I mean seriously..it's hard enough nowadays...then have someone waving money in front of you telling you everything you want to hear.

This players for the most part have lived with nothing, now with either little or no guidance we expect them to just say no when people try to give them money? People give these athletes everything their whole lives.

The only way this stops, is if the culture itself is stopped.

+1 Hawg2011 , you said it better than I did. I'm just not sure how much more a program can do?
I'm not defending just Alabama either, Florida has a young man being investigated also.
I know when I was 19 to 21 years old and someone waved money in my face, the temptation would be hard to beat down. That's all I'm saying about it.
This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever,leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain,not loss-good, not evil. Success,not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.

Clint Alan

This could get ugly for a couple SEC schools.

I do not understand how it takes the NCAA 3 years to investigate Reggie Bush and USC with all the facts lain before them. It has now taken the NCAA 1-2 whole weeks to put the fear of god in UNC, South Car, Florida, and now Alabama.
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

mmhogs17

Now people are saying the Patrick Peterson from LSU might have been their also as well as Julio Jones.

Torqued pork

July 20, 2010, 08:36:11 pm #17 Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:09:51 am by Bubbaswinestein
Call me heartless, but accepting an expense paid trip to get your freak on in South Beach puts you considerably lower on my sympathy scale than accepting money to help your destitute family. If our hearts must bleed, let them bleed for poor kids stuck in pathetic inner-city schools, who have no particular talent and no multi-million dollar contracts waiting for them.

Cave City Joe

They need to keep NFL off campus and something needs to be done to take the agents license away when caught doing something.  I'm with Bubbaswinestein taking money to help your family is one thing, but to go party in South Beach is something else.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

mmhogs17

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 09:20:20 pm
wow, is that in print somewhere? I hadn't heard that much detail.

I seen it earlier he said at least 9 other high profile SEC players were there.

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

porkinsons disease

Blue35

codywan

The real Hogules

It's also making the rounds that Lee Ziemba possibly was there as well.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on July 20, 2010, 08:36:11 pm
Call me heartless, but accepting an expense paid trip to get your freak on in South Beach puts you lower on my sympathy scale than taking money to help one's destitute family. If our hearts must bleed, let them bleed for poor kids in pathetic inner-city schools who have no paticular talent and who don't have multi-million dollar contracts waiting for them.

I do know that MD's mother died just prior to the alleged trip to South Beach.

GuvHog

July 20, 2010, 10:24:35 pm #26 Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:26:25 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: Hawg2011 on July 20, 2010, 07:34:35 pm
I agree with Rolltide.

I mean seriously..it's hard enough nowadays...then have someone waving money in front of you telling you everything you want to hear.

This players for the most part have lived with nothing, now with either little or no guidance we expect them to just say no when people try to give them money? People give these athletes everything their whole lives.

The only way this stops, is if the culture itself is stopped.

There's no excuse for any college player taking money from an agent. They are told over and over again by the compliance people at the Universities that it is wrong and that doing it will cost them their eligibility. They know the rules and if they break them they get no sympathy from me.

I agree with Saban that they should ban all agents from the universities or having any contact with the players. The NFL needs to step up and punish these agents when they cross the line.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 20, 2010, 10:24:35 pm
There's no excuse for any college player taking money from an agent. They are told over and over again by the compliance people at the Universities that it is wrong and that doing it will cost them their eligibility. They know the rules and if they break them they get no sympathy from me.

I agree with Saban that they should ban all agents from the universities or having any contact with the players. The NFL needs to step up and punish these agents when they cross the line.

GUVHOG I agree with you 100 %. But how does a program police 85 young men 24 hrs a day? Like I said in a earlier post, if he took the money, then kick him off the team or at the least set him out until the NCAA is done with it's investigation. The team or program should always be bigger than 1 player or more.

RAF

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on July 20, 2010, 10:32:15 pm
GUVHOG I agree with you 100 %. But how does a program police 85 young men 24 hrs a day? Like I said in a earlier post, if he took the money, then kick him off the team or at the least set him out until the NCAA is done with it's investigation. The team or program should always be bigger than 1 player or more.
They can't police anyone for 24 hours a day.  But, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be punishments (and perhaps severe punishments) for the team as a whole.  Think of the precedent that would be set if the NCAA ever did something like let the program off the hook but ban the player from competing at any NCAA school.  Once that happened, that would be defense #1 anytime this issue came up.  Frankly, the policy of punishing the team as a whole gives schools more incentive to make sure that the rules are followed, rather than having the option of kicking the offender to the curb to save your reputation.
Although, I can see how some people might not agree, especially when it's their school under scrutiny.

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Greyhands

Just so its none of our guys let them all go down in flames lol

GuvHog

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on July 20, 2010, 10:32:15 pm

They don't. The schools should make sure the Athletes know the rules about contact with an agent VERBATIM and make sure they know that such contact will result in the loss of their eligibility. Once this is done, there's no excuse for a player breaking this rule and having contact with an agent because they know full well it's wrong and they'll lose their scholarship if they do so. The school has done what they're required to do and should even go father and ban the agents from their school so I have no sympathy for any athlete who breaks this rule and loses their eligibility.

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 09:23:15 pm
mmmm probably not

Please elaborate.  Our crappy defense pretty much owned you guys the last two years and should be greatly improved this year.  Our offense will be as good or better.

How, exactly, do you plan to win?

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: dxf04 on July 20, 2010, 10:45:36 pm
They can't police anyone for 24 hours a day.  But, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be punishments (and perhaps severe punishments) for the team as a whole.  Think of the precedent that would be set if the NCAA ever did something like let the program off the hook but ban the player from competing at any NCAA school.  Once that happened, that would be defense #1 anytime this issue came up.  Frankly, the policy of punishing the team as a whole gives schools more incentive to make sure that the rules are followed, rather than having the option of kicking the offender to the curb to save your reputation.
Although, I can see how some people might not agree, especially when it's their school under scrutiny.

I agree with you. But these agents also know it. And they should be held accountable also.They are professional men and women. Whom, I think take advantage of young men.It's just sad that other young men have to pay the price from the bad judgement of another. That's what is so sad when this kind of thing happens. From what I am reading UNC and USCe and Florida all had young men present.

RAF

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on July 20, 2010, 10:59:30 pm
I agree with you. But these agents also know it. And they should be held accountable also.They are professional men and women. Whom, I think take advantage of young men.It's just sad that other young men have to pay the price from the bad judgement of another. That's what is so sad when this kind of thing happens. From what I am reading UNC and USCe and Florida all had young men present.
I absolutely agree about the agents being held responsible, as well.  For the most part, though, the NCAA has no control over them, or, I mean, the NCAA can't punish agents directly.  I'm not even sure the NFL has real control over them, but I could be wrong. 

greasy_corner

Quote from: Greyhands on July 20, 2010, 10:53:48 pm
Just so its none of our guys let them all go down in flames lol

No kidding, and no synpathy for any of these clowns or schools.  Trust me, they gave us none when we were hung out to dry by a few thousand of Harrod's dollars a few years ago.

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 11:01:38 pm
Doesn't Alabama have a full-time "Sports Agent Advisor" on staff? How in the world does this stuff keep coming up every year when they have someone who's entire job is to make sure the players are properly educated about the dangers of agent contact?

Yes they do. But again you can tell a young person to just say NO to drugs. But we still have drug addicts. I am in no way defending the actions of MD at all.If what is being reported is accurate. What really gets me in these kind of things. How come the NFL agents don't get their licence pulled or something. I'm not just defending Alabama, I would feel the same way if it were Auburn or Arkansas. Now if a program is going out and just paying players and giving car's and cash to parents. That's different. That's done with malice and for thought. And that university should pay the price. But this is kind of different to me.

GuvHog

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 11:01:38 pm
Doesn't Alabama have a full-time "Sports Agent Advisor" on staff? How in the world does this stuff keep coming up every year when they have someone who's entire job is to make sure the players are properly educated about the dangers of agent contact?

Every D1 school has a person who does the job you've mentioned but there are some athletes who do it anyway thinking they won't get caught and wind up losing their scholarship. Schools can teach them it's wrong (and they do) but they can't go out and police them all of the time and stop them from doing it.

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 10:59:52 pm
Our crappy defense should be greatly improved as well. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking our crappy defense improves more greatly than yours.

Fair enough.  Let the least crappiest defense win.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 09:23:15 pm
mmmm probably not

Why don't we all make a deal with you?

If the Hogs beat you AGAIN this fall, you leave this site for freaking ever, your last post admitting what a ridiculous tool you are and that you know zip about college football.

If the Tigers, er War Eagles, er Plainsmen, er goat humpers win this fall, you make any ridiculous post your little retarded heart desires and none of us will respond at all.

Agreed?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 10:59:52 pm
Our crappy defense should be greatly improved as well. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking our crappy defense improves more greatly than yours.

May be true.  But you know as well as we do that your crappy offense is NOT going to be up to what ours will produce.  And therein lies the rub.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: taintlint on July 20, 2010, 05:53:02 pm
They self-reported and Saban is screaming from the mountain tops all of his ways to solve this nation-wide problem.

Nothing to see here, unless we all want to discuss a dead end story.

How is this a "dead story"?

You guys might lose your AA D lineman, the anchor of your defensive line, and that's NOT a story??!!

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: dxf04 on July 20, 2010, 11:07:12 pm
I absolutely agree about the agents being held responsible, as well.  For the most part, though, the NCAA has no control over them, or, I mean, the NCAA can't punish agents directly.  I'm not even sure the NFL has real control over them, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure the NFL could hit that agent in their wallet and at the least slow them down some.
I know some will revel in this news. But I don't. Cause I want to beat the best that any other program has to offer against us. I want to beat Arkansas with your best players on the field. I want to beat Tennessee with their very best players in the game for 60 minutes. If I could, I would change the hit on Colt McCoy in the BCS game. That way no one can ever say. " Well if we had so - and - so in the game. WE would have won.
I always want to beat Auburn and Florida with their best athletes on the field for 60 minutes. But that's just me. I would hate for Mallett to go down before Sept.25th.
I want Arkansas to bring their " A " day players . And let our best lineup against ya'lls best. If Arkansas beats up on the field - WPS  :razorback: !!!!!!   Maybe next year !

RAF

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on July 20, 2010, 11:24:17 pm
I'm sure the NFL could hit that agent in their wallet and at the least slow them down some.
I know some will revel in this news. But I don't. Cause I want to beat the best that any other program has to offer against us. I want to beat Arkansas with your best players on the field. I want to beat Tennessee with their very best players in the game for 60 minutes. If I could, I would change the hit on Colt McCoy in the BCS game. That way no one can ever say. " Well if we had so - and - so in the game. WE would have won.
I always want to beat Auburn and Florida with their best athletes on the field for 60 minutes. But that's just me. I would hate for Mallett to go down before Sept.25th.
I want Arkansas to bring their " A " day players . And let our best lineup against ya'lls best. If Arkansas beats up on the field - WPS  :razorback: !!!!!!   Maybe next year !
I see what you're saying.  I, for one, won't revel if the NCAA puts the smackdown on anybody.  I do, however, want to see "justice" served, i.e., if they broke a rule, the usual punishment should be applied, just as it has for decades, no matter how "unfair" some may see it.
I would like to point out that there's a difference between a star player getting hurt and a star player being ruled ineligible because he got greedy.  I certainly want Mark Ingram at full strength when 'Bama shows up.  When we win, I don't want all the pollsters talking "what ifs...", 'cause we always get the short stick with that game.

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: dxf04 on July 20, 2010, 11:34:03 pm
I see what you're saying.  I, for one, won't revel if the NCAA puts the smackdown on anybody.  I do, however, want to see "justice" served, i.e., if they broke a rule, the usual punishment should be applied, just as it has for decades, no matter how "unfair" some may see it.
I would like to point out that there's a difference between a star player getting hurt and a star player being ruled ineligible because he got greedy.  I certainly want Mark Ingram at full strength when 'Bama shows up.  When we win, I don't want all the pollsters talking "what ifs...", 'cause we always get the short stick with that game.

Totally agree with you dxf04. No argument with you at all. +1 .

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Solomwi on July 20, 2010, 11:27:50 pm
It's tempting but it won't work because the overly sensitive mods would mute/ban my account before the clock hits 00:00. Now if you could convince them that the terms of said bet included that that wouldn't happen, then to me that sounds like a sure thing.

Come on, get at least a little real.  You've made fifty or so ridiculous statements just today, and the mods have let all those posts slide.

Ok, I'll adjust the bargain for you:

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2010, 11:20:45 pm
Why don't we all make a deal with you?

If the Hogs beat you AGAIN this fall, you leave this site for freaking ever, your last post admitting what a ridiculous tool you are and that you know zip about college football.

If the Tigers, er War Eagles, er Plainsmen, er goat humpers win this fall, you make any all your normal, routine, ridiculous posts your little retarded heart desires and none of us will respond at all.

Agreed?

DEVICEHIGH

Thee NCAA can just keep pushing and pushing until we fire them... It's possible.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

dhornjr1

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on July 20, 2010, 07:30:16 pm
How do SEC schools stop this. Most of these young men have had nothing in there lives , and a suit and tie shows a huge roll of money? How do ( we ) SEC get a handle on it?
I will never applaud a fellow SEC program getting hammered by the NAZI NCAA .
The SEC programs can not keep a watch out 24 hrs a day . If it is proven he took money as did the other 8 or 9 players. Bench them all! Or let them go. I sure hope even the other players are not guilty. But what can we do as a program?

Any time your program reaches the pinnacle, people start turning over every rock they can to try and find something. 

Within days of Arkansas winning the basketball national championship in 1994, my dad told me it would just be a matter of time before rumors of NCAA investigations would descend on Nolan Richardson and his program. Sure enough, a few months later, Sunday Adebayo and Jesse Pate had people crawling up their a$$e$ with microscopes.

Jealousy from other coaches will eventually lead to multiple accusations being made.

Your program had better cover its tracks very well or this Marcel Dareus stuff will be just the beginning and you will eventually go down a la USC.

UAfanatic

MJ2

Why not just form a minor league for kids headed to the NFL but not interested in education?   Make the NCAA truly for students.   The 40 times will go up to probably 5.0 for the fastest guy in the NCAA, but so what.   The money for education will truly be spent on students wanting to learn, not on player development for the NFL.