Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Season opener on a Thursday

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, February 15, 2017, 06:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: mhsbc59 on February 17, 2017, 07:39:26 am
IM going to say this would be the only way i could get to the game and actually catch any of it.  Memphis and Little Rock arnt that far apart but to any one that think s you can get though memphis traffic and Little Rock game day traffic and parked and into the game in 2.5 3 hours you are NUTS!!!!
Why, Google told Benny it was only 135 miles, 2:04 hours in light traffic......

bennyl08

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 17, 2017, 07:12:55 am
People are not going to watch this because we are an SEC team.  A middle of the pack SEC team next year at best.   People tune in to watch good match ups and competitive games. This game will be 21-0 after the first. Why would anyone waste money on this game to attend it when you can see it on TV?

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

People are excited for college football. You think 2 million people are going to watch SC vs Vandy if that game was played on Saturday competing against the likes of USC Bama and LSU-Wisc? Hog fans who want to watch the game on TV are going to watch it be it thursday or saturday. However, absolute worst case scenario, it draws the same viewership on thursday, best case, people desperate for football will watch it. Mid season, your casual fan wouldn't care to tune into a game like this on thursday. First game of the entire season? Very likely that people just wanting to see some football will see that here's an SEC team, lets watch this for a bit. Satiate the need to watch football.

Why would fans want to go see the game, in person? Have you ever been to a game live? It's the difference between eating a tuna steak and having some bumblebee canned tuna. Staying at home doesn't begin to compare to being at the stadium. That is why people "waste" money on going to the games in the same way people may spend 15 bucks a pound on fresh tuna steak when they could spend a couple of dollars for more than a pound of canned.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

WilsonHog

Quote from: TechHawg on February 15, 2017, 08:59:25 pm
One of the best times I ever had at a Hog game was in 2003 when the Hogs played South Carolina on a Thursday night. I'm planning on going to this one as well. I like the move to Thursday.

I think that was the last game I attended at WMS. Had to be in Little Rock for business anyway.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 12:52:32 pm
HS & jrhs coaches have to give up alot of things for their job. For every coach that cant make Thursday but could make Sat, I can find someone that can make Thursday but could not make Sat. That is just life.

When I was coaching high school football, and even now as a high school administrator who has to pull ballgame duty on Friday night, there have been several times throughout the years that I left for Fayetteville at 11:00 p.m. on Friday night and made the 300-mile drive to Fayetteville. Part of it.

secfan30

Quote from: Horse racer on February 15, 2017, 07:30:46 pm
So we killed the tailgating in LR and expect a family to be able to travel to the game then work and school the next day ?  :puke: :puke:

Call in to work and let those kids skip school.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Horse racer on February 15, 2017, 09:02:01 pm
I am a huge fan and supporter, but it sure will suck if I am forced to buy tickets for a game I already know I can't attend

You don't have to buy these tickets, no penalty for your Fayetteville season tickets as long as you don't decrease your donation.

texas tush hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 17, 2017, 03:42:43 pm
When I was coaching high school football, and even now as a high school administrator who has to pull ballgame duty on Friday night, there have been several times throughout the years that I left for Fayetteville at 11:00 p.m. on Friday night and made the 300-mile drive to Fayetteville. Part of it.

Boy do I remember those days, sheesh. Even worse when I moved to DFW metroplex in 1986 with two kids on the hill.

KlubhouseKonnected

I'm actually thrilled with it and will be there. I always get irritated with the opener being the following Saturday because it interferes with my time at the lake house. I am just going to take off Thursday and Friday and have a nice mini vacation
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bphi11ips

About the only way to put lipstick on this pig is to move it to Thursday night.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

humphrey

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 17, 2017, 03:42:43 pm

As I was reading this thread, I was thinking about high school sports.  When my brother was on the Morrilton football team, lots of parents made the trip to places like Siloam Springs (168 miles) for conference games (some were played on Weds or Thurs nights -- with a 6 pm start), or Crossett (180 miles) for other weeknight games.  People do what they want to do.  If they want to go to the game, they'll go.  If not, they won't. 

hogsanity

Quote from: humphrey on February 23, 2017, 09:40:55 am
As I was reading this thread, I was thinking about high school sports.  When my brother was on the Morrilton football team, lots of parents made the trip to places like Siloam Springs (168 miles) for conference games (some were played on Weds or Thurs nights -- with a 6 pm start), or Crossett (180 miles) for other weeknight games.  People do what they want to do.  If they want to go to the game, they'll go.  If not, they won't. 

Exactly. I had almost forgotten all the times we had to leave school at noon or 1 to make it to whatever hole in the road we were playing on a Friday night ( or Tuesday for basketball ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

shown006

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 18, 2017, 09:50:15 am
You don't have to buy these tickets, no penalty for your Fayetteville season tickets as long as you don't decrease your donation.
Correct.  The point is, the majority of Fayetteville season ticket holders do not want to have an added small FCS non-conference game (I/e Florida AnM) moved to Fayetteville and added on to their already expensive season ticket package of 4-8 tickets and have their PSL increase, as well as increase the total cost of their package $500-800 for just that one game.  They are good with the lesser game being in LR, and keeping the total current cost of their package at what it is, and having all the SEC games and main non-conference game (ie TCU) in Fayetteville.  Now...those that do not pay for season tickets, do want the game in Fayetteville, as it gives them another chance to cherry pick tickets to a single game without paying the PSL, and probably getting tickets to Florida AnM much cheaper than face value.
WPS!

ricepig

Quote from: shown006 on February 23, 2017, 09:53:50 pm
Correct.  The point is, the majority of Fayetteville season ticket holders do not want to have an added small FCS non-conference game (I/e Florida AnM) moved to Fayetteville and added on to their already expensive season ticket package of 4-8 tickets and have their PSL increase, as well as increase the total cost of their package $500-800 for just that one game.  They are good with the lesser game being in LR, and keeping the total current cost of their package at what it is, and having all the SEC games and main non-conference game (ie TCU) in Fayetteville.  Now...those that do not pay for season tickets, do want the game in Fayetteville, as it gives them another chance to cherry pick tickets to a single game without paying the PSL, and probably getting tickets to Florida AnM much cheaper than face value.

Umm, you have any proof of this? I guess you don't have tickets for both? When did they do a survey on this, I guess I missed out on the email from the RF.

biglewhog77