Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiring while on hotseat...

Started by twistitup, February 09, 2017, 05:08:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 04:55:32 pm
So you are saying that Saban is on the hot seat because his hire for his OC is somebody with similar resume to our positional hires, or are you saying that maybe hiring somebody like that isn't necessarily a terrible thing after all?

Similar resume? Thats a joke- right?

I hope you didnt run off and join that damn anti-intelligence movement
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on February 21, 2017, 04:57:50 pm
Similar resume? Thats a joke- right?

I hope you didnt run off and join that damn anti-intelligence movement

Both our recent hires have college experience. This was a restricted earnings coach for one year, moved up to being a GA for 2 years, and hasn't sniffed a college coaching job since then.

In the NFL, he went from a QC/assistant's assistant, up to a position coach. Stayed as a position coach for 7 years before getting hired as the OC for Cleveland. There, he proceeded to have the worst offense in the NFL by yards, and 29th in points, improving all the way to 29th in yards but 31st in points. He was fired from there to be picked up by Miami where his team was 20th and 22nd in yards and points before again losing his job. His last chance as an OC landed him in KC where he managed 24th in yards, but was dead last in points.

From there, he was demoted all the way back down to that dreaded assistant to the assistant that so many here despise before becoming a position coach in the NFL. None of our coaches have downgraded. He was an OC in the NFL, but not a terribly good one. Plus, he didn't just go back to position coach, but back down to the position coach's assistant. Keep in mind, this guy is being hired to coordinate an offense in the SEC. If he was being hired as a QB coach or TE coach, that would be a home run hire for Bama. As it stands, it is a hire that has as many questions as it does answers. Saban is having to guess had good of a recruiter this guy might be based on personality and other skills, much more so than Bielema is having to guess on our hires. This is a guy who is used to having a lot more time to coach the players, is used to working with professionals rather than students, and as such, isn't used to having to teach basic things as he is the finer aspects of the game.

Not trying to tear down their hire at all. The guy was an OC in the NFL. However, there are at least as many questions about his ability to do a good job as a collegiate OC as any of our hires. It is impossible to logically go through and say that either or our hires were objectionably worse.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

twistitup

No mention of Pats, Super Bowls, TE, Bel....ok

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on February 21, 2017, 08:17:14 pm
No mention of Pats, Super Bowls, TE, Bel....ok

Did he win superbowls as a player, HC, or OC that I'm unaware of? Walker went to a Super Bowl as well. I did mention him as a TE position coach. Being part of the patriots I assumed was common knowledge. Walker was part of the super bowl falcons team and Scott worked with Saban twice and with Stoops creating the defense that beat a good Saban team.

Don't see you actually building any arguments yourself. Only seeing you complaining with most of your complaints being solved by quick google searches. If you are trolling, you are much better than hog card. Sad thing is, I think you are more like iwastherein69 and are just perennially going to complain about everything.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gchamblee

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 10:37:32 pm
Did he win superbowls as a player, HC, or OC that I'm unaware of? Walker went to a Super Bowl as well. I did mention him as a TE position coach. Being part of the patriots I assumed was common knowledge. Walker was part of the super bowl falcons team and Scott worked with Saban twice and with Stoops creating the defense that beat a good Saban team.

Don't see you actually building any arguments yourself. Only seeing you complaining with most of your complaints being solved by quick google searches. If you are trolling, you are much better than hog card. Sad thing is, I think you are more like iwastherein69 and are just perennially going to complain about everything.

youre arguing with a guy that believes we need to chew the same gum as bama or we are inferior. a guy that thinks doing laundry for the patriots makes you a home run hire at any position at the college level. he gets dizzy from star power and doesnt really know much about what is under the tarp.

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on February 22, 2017, 01:35:18 am
youre arguing with a guy that believes we need to chew the same gum as bama or we are inferior. a guy that thinks doing laundry for the patriots makes you a home run hire at any position at the college level. he gets dizzy from star power and doesnt really know much about what is under the tarp.
Its just bama, they arent any better than us. They don't make better hires.... and the recruiting services are wrong too- we coach our kids up- we don't need 4 star and 5 star guys.

I respect programs that consistently win at a high level...unlike you

twistitup

February 22, 2017, 04:14:17 am #306 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:14:41 am by twistitup
Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 10:37:32 pm

Buiding an argument? It's obvious.   
He came from a dynasty....we was part of coaching the most productive TE and possibly best O scheme of all time to multiple Superbowl wins...he didnt get fired, he left the Pats to join bama- willingly...

If you can't see why he's a good hire, I can't help you.

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on February 22, 2017, 04:09:28 am
Its just bama, they arent any better than us. They don't make better hires.... and the recruiting services are wrong too- we coach our kids up- we don't need 4 star and 5 star guys.

I respect programs that consistently win at a high level...unlike you

most people respect bama, you worship them. you lack objectivity. every week you start a new thread comparing us to bama and whining about how far behind we are. josh mcdaniels took the head coaching job at denver after being the oc for one of the most successful offenses in pro football. you know, that dynasty you are crowing about. he got fired shortly after because he was an absolute failure as a head coach. he crawled back to new england where he could be an oc for an offense run by tom brady, who is good enough to mask his flaws and make him look better than he is as a coach. i bet, in your mind, josh mcdaniels is a home run hire... because DYNASTY! you never do any research, you have no knowledge of anything under the surface and every opinion you have ever formed was derived from a headline somewhere.

good luck hanging out here talking football with a group of fans that have already figured out that you have no idea what youre talking about.

twistitup

....you're comparison makes zero sense- great job chumlee. Any more genius apple/orange comparisons to throw out?

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on February 22, 2017, 04:14:17 am
Buiding an argument? It's obvious.   
He came from a dynasty....we was part of coaching the most productive TE and possibly best O scheme of all time to multiple Superbowl wins...he didnt get fired, he left the Pats to join bama- willingly...

If you can't see why he's a good hire, I can't help you.

He was there for two seasons. They only went to the Super Bowl for one of those seasons. The year before, he was the assistants assistant and they lost in the playoffs to the Broncos who went on to win the Super Bowl.

He became the TE coach just last season in his 2nd year with the pats. Gronkowski had his lowest output of any season last year. Sure, he only played 8 games. However, he had more yards and more catches and more td's in 2013 when he only played in 7 games. He also had Martellus Bennett to work with. However, Bennett was already a pro bowl TE with the Bears before he ever came to the Patriots. Bennett had one more TD than he had previously had, but did not reach the pro bowl again, despite playing all 16 regular season games as his receptions and yards were significantly down from that year.

Both players did have higher yards per catch than in previous seasons, but that came at the cost of much lower importance of the TE's for the patriots with two stellar TE's both having a lower emphasis overall in their passing game compared to previous seasons as evidenced by a lower percentage of receptions going to the TE's.

No, he didn't get fired from the patriots. If your reading comprehension remotely led you to thinking that, I'm not sure anybody can help you. He was fired from the browns, dolphins, and chiefs before being double demoted (From HC to positional assistant) in his restart with the patriots.

Also, how is his recruiting?

bennyl08

Quote from: gchamblee on February 22, 2017, 01:35:18 am

Yeah, but every once in a while it is fun to debate those types of people. Yeah, it's admittedly the message board equivalent of playing RB vs 10 year olds where they just fall off of you or you drag them 50 yards for a td, but it can still be fun.