Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scope Recommendations

Started by Mr.Swine89, December 28, 2016, 08:20:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Swine89

I just bought a Howa 1500 in .223 for some target and varmint action. I'm looking for some recommendations for a good scope that's less than $500 and is in the ballpark of 4-16×50

GolfNut57

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 28, 2016, 08:20:13 pm
I just bought a Howa 1500 in .223 for some target and varmint action. I'm looking for some recommendations for a good scope that's less than $500 and is in the ballpark of 4-16×50

Depends on if you want the blue mint or the green peppermint scope.......

Oh..........you mean a scope for targeting.........nevermind... ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

tophawg19

truthfully anymore , there is not many bad choices . i've had great luck with Tasco, Simmons , Leupold and a Swarvoski . the Tasco has stood up to a 12 guage slug master and a 300 magnum . I have a friend who swears by Nikon . Zeiss offers 3 or 4 good choices under 500. Bushnell trophy extreme would fit for 250. Burris has several great options but may be a bit high. Vortex optics makes a very nice option . A 6.5 -20 x 50 BDC that is under 500
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kodiakisland

Something to keep in mind.  For the same price, you will get better glass in a 40mm than a 50mm objective.  Personally, I'd rather have a better scope with a 40mm than spending more for the same quality 50mm, unless it will be used for low light or after dark a lot.

For $500, a leupold VX3i 4.5X14 CDS would be hard to beat. 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362253985/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scope-45-14x-40mm-custom-dial-system-matte
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

onebadrubi

Look at ATN scopes!  Have fun

hawgon

Yeah, a 50mm objective adds practically nothing except weight, ring height, and poor balance.

lahawg1

I don't have one but these are highly thought of and are decently priced

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/

pigture perfect

My next scope will be a Nikon Spot or Dot something like that. A friend of mine got one for his bd and was using on his .243 this year. Let me shoot it. It was awesome at longer ranges.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

radar

I like the Nikon P-223  4-12 on the 223 cal rifles, you should be able to find one for around $200.

HogBreath

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 29, 2016, 02:27:03 am
Something to keep in mind.  For the same price, you will get better glass in a 40mm than a 50mm objective.  Personally, I'd rather have a better scope with a 40mm than spending more for the same quality 50mm, unless it will be used for low light or after dark a lot.

For $500, a leupold VX3i 4.5X14 CDS would be hard to beat. 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362253985/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scope-45-14x-40mm-custom-dial-system-matte
The 50mm will have better light gathering capability than the 40?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hawgon

Quote from: HogBreath on January 09, 2017, 09:01:56 pm

Yes, but you won't notice.  At 4.5x a 4.5 x 14 x 50 will give you an 11.1 exit pupil and bring in more light.  The thing is, your eye can only go up to about 7mm and any exit pupil bigger than that is more or less wasted.  Go smaller with better quality glass and coatings.

A 50 mm on a scope of less than $1000 is a gimick.  And even then, it is the glass and the coatings that make it great, not the objective size.

kodiakisland

January 09, 2017, 10:36:04 pm #11 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:40:17 am by kodiakisland
Quote from: HogBreath on January 09, 2017, 09:01:56 pm

Only when everything else is equal does a 50mm lens allow more light through than a 40mm.  Scopes don't gather light, they only allow you to see what's there.  Better glass with better coatings in 40mm will beat cheaper glass and cheaper coatings of a 50mm every day.  Same quality costs more to go from 40mm to 50mm.  A 40mm moderate quality scope will allow you to shoot well past legal light, so what do you get with a more expensive, heavier 50mm?  Unless you will be shooting at night, you really don't need a 50mm lens.  If you are shooting at night, I'd go with a good quality 56mm.

Almost every rifle I own has a 2.5-8X36 scope.  I've never been handicapped in low light situations.  I also have two with 32mm and one with 20mm.  Both will still allow me to hunt dawn to dusk.  Bigger is not always better.  I'd rather spend as much as I can afford on better glass, not bigger.

7mm gets mentioned a lot as the largest usable exit pupil.  That is about the widest a young eye can dilate in complete dark.  For the average hunter in normal conditions, 4 to 5mm is the widest usable exit pupil.  Even the best glass with the best coatings lose a % of light.  Scopes have ten or more lenses and lose light, not gain.  The size of the objective is just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to determining which scope is best.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

There is an article in the March 2017 (what day is it?) Rifle magazine about comparing night vision of different binoculars.  Not exactly the same discussion as scopes in low light, but same principles.

They compared two 8X32 and two 10X42 binos in typical pre-dawn conditions.  All were good quality binos with three being in the same price range and one considerably more.  As expected, the best quality 10X42 was the best, but the two 8X32s were better than the other similar priced 10X42.  For the same price range, the two 8X32s had better glass than the 10X42 and had better clarity and light transmission, even though they had lower magnification and a smaller exit pupil.

Mr.Swine89

I settled on the Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16×42 for the Howa.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-hp-4-16x42-riflescope-with-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

I've also posted a picture of the gun. Short action .223 Howa 1500

Mr.Swine89

Just put the scope on the Howa last night. Going to shot this weekend if the wind will quit. Will post a picture of the completed product later. Thanks for the help with everything.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on February 24, 2017, 11:06:43 am
Just put the scope on the Howa last night. Going to shot this weekend if the wind will quit. Will post a picture of the completed product later. Thanks for the help with everything.

Dragging this one back up. How did it turn out, and are you happy with the scope?

Just got an AR-10 that I need to put some optics on and went looking for this thread for information, in anybody has any other  ideas I'd be glad to hear them too.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 30, 2017, 11:07:01 am
Dragging this one back up. How did it turn out, and are you happy with the scope?

Just got an AR-10 that I need to put some optics on and went looking for this thread for information, in anybody has any other  ideas I'd be glad to hear them too.

I love the Diamondback that I got. I have no complaints about anything. I've used it to target shoot out to 350 yards and hunted and killed coyotes at 200 yards. The light gathering is excellent and clarity at max magnification is impressive. It took me to around 8 shots to zero and it has mantained a zero since then. With that AR-10, I'd definitely recommend this scope. I also use a Nikon AR-223 and it is really excellent for the money. They make a .308 version with ballistic drop dots.

Mr.Swine89

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on July 01, 2017, 10:23:16 pm
What Model did you get?

I got a Palmetto State PA-10, pretty bare and basic right now, I am looking at scope, mount,  sling, and whatever else I can think of.

I do like everything I read and hear about the Vortex, so that's probably what I will go with, need to get my hands on one and see what I can mount it with to keep it low as possible. Thanks for the information.

Mr.Swine89

This is my new toy. I'm looking for a good red dot set up on it. I just have a cheap ncstar on it right now that doesn't stayed zeroed well. Any thoughts?

Dillar Dog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 30, 2017, 11:07:01 am

Schmidt and Bender.  Can't go wrong there.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on July 07, 2017, 09:56:24 pm
This is my new toy. I'm looking for a good red dot set up on it. I just have a cheap ncstar on it right now that doesn't stayed zeroed well. Any thoughts?
burris fast fire III
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

woodrow hog call

Decided to go with the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44, didn't want to regret not spending a little more and not be happy with the longer range performance.

Picked it up today but had to order mounts, so can't try it out yet.

What is that Swine89, a.223? Pretty cool Looking toy, hope that's not the reason you have a blanket on the couch.😉

DeltaBoy

Simmons 44 mag is a great scope.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dillar Dog

I still say Schmidt and Bender.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: woodrow hog call on July 13, 2017, 09:51:42 pm
Decided to go with the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44, didn't want to regret not spending a little more and not be happy with the longer range performance.

Picked it up today but had to order mounts, so can't try it out yet.

What is that Swine89, a.223? Pretty cool Looking toy, hope that's not the reason you have a blanket on the couch.😉

You're right on with the .223

It's a Kel-Tec. I've now changed out the hand guard to an aluminum one and added a Burris Fastfire III to it. Its  beyond loud to fire, so I have my suppressor paperwork ready to go on it now. 

Porkys Revenge

For the money, you will not beat a Burris scope.

hawgon

There are some smoking deals on Weaver Grandslam 3x12s right now.  That is a very high quality Japanese made optic and the adjustments are some of the best in the business.  They are changing styles of something and what was a $500 scope can be had for less than half that.

Mr.Swine89

Here is the Howa with the Vortex Diamondback HD

Dillar Dog

Archangel stock.  Those things are heavy. 

rickm1976

You can't go wrong with a Leupold VX-1 or VX-2.  They are great scopes even for value priced models.  Redfield is also a good buy.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: Dillar Dog on March 12, 2018, 05:32:16 pm
Archangel stock.  Those things are heavy.

It is heavy yes. That gun is a tack driver out to 200 yds on a bench and I think the stock has a lot to do with it. It's so comfortable. There isn't a coyote left on my 40 acres either 👍

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on May 25, 2018, 11:54:49 pm
It is heavy yes. That gun is a tack driver out to 200 yds on a bench and I think the stock has a lot to do with it. It's so comfortable. There isn't a coyote left on my 40 acres either 👍

I have one on a .260.  Took away a lot of the recoil.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 27, 2018, 10:07:12 am
I have one on a .260.  Took away a lot of the recoil.

That is definitely true. I have a break on mine as well and the recoil is slightly more than a .22. Pretty awesome 👍

Deresh

I have a healthy number of various scopes that I have used over the years. Of the ones you have listed, I never had any issues with Bushnell https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-ar10-scope/ the Weavers I have are mostly the older US made steel tube models and I have nothing but good to say about them. I never had a BSA break but the optics are not all that clear. The rest of the ones you have listed I never owned.

If you are target shooting, you will appreciate target knobs. Zero the scope on a standard 100 yard target at 100 yards. Then go 10 clicks left, 10 clicks down shoot 3, go up 20 and shoot 3, go 20 right and shoot 3, then go 20 down and shoot 3. Finish with 10 up and 10 left and you should be right back at your zero. Assuming 0.25 MOA clicks, you should have 4 three-shot groups forming about a 5" square around the center of the target and your last three shots should be on top of your zero rounds in the center. This checks the tracking (even movement) and repeatability (comes back to original zero).

As far as objective lens size, the average eye will open to about 5-7mm when the pupil is dilated. The higher the magnification of the scope, the smaller in diameter the light beam (exit pupil) coming out of the ocular lens that you see. To get an approximate size of the exit pupil, divide the diameter of the objective lens by the magnification. For example: a 40mm scope at 8X would have an exit pupil of about 5mm. This is the reason why variable scopes appear to get darker at the higher powers, your eye can take in a wider exit pupil than the scope is providing. As you get smaller than 5mm, there is less light available than eye opening. This is also why a 3X9X40 will look as bright at 5X as it does a 3X because the exit pupil for both settings is greater than your eye can take in. Hope this helps and good luck to you.